• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's the digital deluxe version so that we can play with the live action cutscenes, it's the only way to play the game correctly

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If ms did pay 19 mil just to have dmc v on gamepass... damn, tgey could've funded a whole game with that.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
MS paid Capcom $19 million for DMC 5?
How much did they pay for MHW on GP?

Sounds like a bit much. If $19 mil has anything to do with DMC5, I would bet the deal included some other content as well. Maybe RE2 and Monster Hunter IB as well? Just guessing. Data apparently shows they don't lose sales in Game Pass so $19 mil for one game doesn't sound right.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So microsoft just bought aproximately 316,666 full retail price copies of the game? Fuuuuck

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
But.. I haven't finished the original yet!
I'd be totally lost if I jumped straight into 5, right?
Sounds like a bit much. If $19 mil has anything to do with DMC5, I would bet the deal included some other content as well. Maybe RE2 and Monster Hunter IB as well? Just guessing. Data apparently shows they don't lose sales in Game Pass so $19 mil for one game doesn't sound right.
I agree that if this $19m figure is truly related to Gamepass, it's more than likely a deal for a number of different titles, not just DMC5.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Getting the undisputed 2019 GOTY on Game Pass is an insane deal.

The universally acknowledged peak of the Heisei era. The alpha and the omega.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

A bit much based on what exactly? How many people use GP? How many would download DMC5? If even 633k people downloaded the game at a value of say $30 to Capcom per copy, that's your $19m right there.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
A bit much based on what exactly? How many people use GP? How many would download DMC5? If even 633k people downloaded the game at a value of say $30 to Capcom per copy, that's your $19m right there.

The thing is 633K units is A LOT to expect out of DMC5 on xbox at this point in time at that price. Capcom titles on Xbox typically garner a 20% share out of the total amount of sales after-all. So if you're spending that much money, i'd wager that sort of price would make more sense for say something like GwG if they were really wanting to have a banger month.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The thing is 633K units is A LOT to expect out of DMC5 on xbox at this point in time at that price. Capcom titles on Xbox typically garner a 20% share out of the total amount of sales after-all. So if you're spending that much money, i'd wager that sort of price would make more sense for say something like GwG if they were really wanting to have a banger month.

I don't disagree with you, but it isn't necessarily just about the number Capcom think they may have sold otherwise, but the value they assign to the game in and of itself, per download. They won't exactly want to give away hundreds of thousands of copies for free.

Lest we forget they could be potentially devaluing the game and even other Capcom titles, if Xbox, multiplatform and PC gamers become more comfortable or patient in simply waiting for tentpole Capcom releases to hit Game Pass instead of buying them.

I do think these elements make discussing things related to GP quite difficult or assumption based, since we simply don't know much about the financial side of the service, nor how many subscribers there even are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't disagree with you, but it isn't necessarily just about the number Capcom think they may have sold otherwise, but the value they assign to the game in and of itself, per download. They won't exactly want to give away hundreds of thousands of copies for free.

Lest we forget they could be potentially devaluing the game and even other Capcom titles, if Xbox gamers become more comfortable or patient in simply waiting for tentpole Capcom releases to hit Game Pass instead of buying them.

I do think these elements make discussing things related to GP quite difficult or assumption based, since we simply don't know much about the financial side of the service, nor how many subscribers there even are.

That is a good point, the limited knowledge we have really just sets us up to just guessing worth and other factors.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
There's DMC5 adds running on Evo 2019 for Xbox One, it's kinda strange because it's sponsored by Sony but if it's coming to gamepass maybe there's an announcement this weekend on Evo.

Microsoft has the marketing for DMC5, just because Sony sponsoring the tournament doesn't change that.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

That's not how that works. Data shows sales go up with XGP at this point due to mindshare gains. It cost Capcom nothing when you download a game. The cost would be lost sales...which at this point seem to be minimal at best.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Games can still be on GP and still sell units. Didn't State of Decay 2 sell 2 million units in its first month despite being on GPA day 1?

This is a win win for Capcom.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
I knew waiting for DMCV to come to GP, and not buying it was going to pay off, and I totally did not just forget it launched earlier this year.

Announce RE2:R and Iceborne for September now. Please and thank you.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not how that works. Data shows sales go up with XGP at this point due to mindshare gains. It cost Capcom nothing when you download a game. The cost would be lost sales...which at this point seem to be minimal at best.

There isn't nearly enough data to conclude that yet, especially as Game Pass subscription numbers continue to rise and the service becomes more widespread. Crackdown 3 flopped despite GP, whilst other titles performed better than expected (FH4, SoT). Releases like Gears 5, Halo Infinite etc will give us a clearer picture of the sort of impact GP may or may not be having on sales, especially as we can compare with past franchise release sales.

Hell, speaking purely anecdotally, I'd likely have bought DMC5 at some point on sale. It's a title that I want to play, but not enough to spend top dollar, or prioritise ahead of other games. With it releasing on GP, there's no chance I buy it now. Hell, there's several others in this very thread saying something similar, that they didn't buy the game because of GP.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Just so I'm clear for the future, when we say Game Pass does that include PC as well or only Xbox?
We have no clue, that's the dumb thing about splitting the services. A PC gamer will say "Game Pass" and mean "Xbox Game Pass for PC" and a Xbox gamer will say "Game Pass" and mean "Xbox Game Pass for Xbox". :/

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have no clue, that's the dumb thing about splitting the services. A PC gamer will say "Game Pass" and mean "Xbox Game Pass for PC" and a Xbox gamer will say "Game Pass" and mean "Xbox Game Pass for Xbox". :/
There has been no official announcement upon which they will clue you in on if it's on Xbox Game Pass on PC, console, or both.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
There isn't nearly enough data to conclude that yet, especially as Game Pass subscription numbers continue to rise and the service becomes more widespread. Crackdown 3 flopped despite GP, whilst other titles performed better than expected (FH4, SoT). Releases like Gears 5, Halo Infinite etc will give us a clearer picture of the sort of impact GP may or may not be having on sales, especially as we can compare with past franchise release sales.

Hell, speaking purely anecdotally, I'd likely have bought DMC5 at some point on sale. It's a title that I want to play, but not enough to spend top dollar, or prioritise ahead of other games. With it releasing on GP, there's no chance I buy it now. Hell, there's several others in this very thread saying something similar, that they didn't buy the game because of GP.

Huge part of gaming budgets is advertising. Mindshare is super important. Game Pass boosts mindshare. It's not going to save bad or mediocre games. Those games will get negative mindshare. It will help games that develop cult followings or are good.

State of Decay and Sea of Thieves received mediocre ratings however had passionate niche audiences that drove mindshare. Those games exceeded expectations. Even Matt P says most games exceed expected sales when they've been put in Game Pass. May not hold forever if Game Pass saturates and consumers get smart to wait for games to hit the service but for now, data shows Game Pass helps.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
There has been no official announcement upon which they will clue you in on if it's on Xbox Game Pass on PC, console, or both.
I wouldn't be surprised if they would confuse things with xCloud as well.
Xbox Game Pass for xCloud for Mobile
Xbox Game Pass for xCloud for Xbox
Xbox Game Pass for xCloud for PC
:P

It took for this to situation for me to realize just how annoying this is going to be. Hopefully in the future "Game Pass" will just mean both Xbox and PC without users having to worry if they are or aren't getting the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom is pretty good about gamepass. I wouldn't be suprised if resident Evelin 7, dragons dogma and Phoenix Wright all popped up on it. I doubt RE2 just yet because that'll have some holiday legs

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Games can still be on GP and still sell units. Didn't State of Decay 2 sell 2 million units in its first month despite being on GPA day 1?

I'm one of those 2 million because I adore what Undead Labs does with their systems. And have had Gamepass since they put that out as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I knew waiting for DMCV to come to GP, and not buying it was going to pay off, and I totally did not just forget it launched earlier this year.

Announce RE2:R and Iceborne for September now. Please and thank you.

This is why I don't like these services. It has already devalued games. Plus and GwG devalues indies and Game Pass devalues AAA games.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Not even close. It sold best in NPD its month but was no where the next month. That 2 million figure was players. It would have to sell well over 1 million in NPD that first month to even come close to 2 million.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It took for this to situation for me to realize just how annoying this is going to be. Hopefully in the future "Game Pass" will just mean both Xbox and PC without users having to worry if they are or aren't getting the game.
Yeah it's like they're afraid to make big changes so they just take these confusing babysteps instead.

They were sooo close to fix it with the combo sub Xbox Game Pass Ultimate but since they kept the old subs you still have people wondering what they'll get every month.

And I don't quite understand how they plan to get it all right going forward. They have so many services now that it's starting to be complicated to explain the value of them all.

Everyone is negative on Stadia for not including any Game Pass alternative, so it should be assumed that xCloud will include streaming+Xbox Game Pass for Xbox to not be in that same bad PR scenario.

Game Pass is currently at $10/month, same as Stadia 4K streaming with online play included, so MS will essentially have to include Xbox Live Gold into xCloud as well to be competitive.

And what would be a reasonable price for xCloud with streaming+Xbox Game Pass for Xbox+Xbox Live Gold included that doesn't make xCloud seem awfully expensive compared to Stadia (which have a free sub too) and don't piss of current subscribers for the individual services?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Pretty soon it seems like.

4Aw03qv.jpg

Bang Bang Bang – Pull my Devil Trigger!