• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
God forbid you see a butt cheek in a game where you cut people in half.

Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe this is anecdotal... But I recon female sexual harassment/explotation is much more real and rampant than people getting cut in twain.

If the violence upsets you, feel free to make a topic about it.

Last edited:

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Era's love of whataboutisms is such a pain in the ass. Blood and gore isn't nearly as much of a problem as the continued sexism that comes with sexualistion, a near completely exclusive issue for women that transcends all forms of media and has continues to be a consistent problem to this day.

DMC feels a lot like Duke Nukem to me, fun and cheesy when it first came out but comes off as an old fashioned relic of the "boys only club" era of gaming.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I think it was just weird in the context of the PC and XBOX versions not having that lens flare. I don't think this would have been an issue if all the versions didn't show her butt.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
DMC feels a lot like Duke Nukem to me, fun and cheesy when it first came out but comes off as an old fashioned relic of the "boys only club" era of gaming.

Eh... Duke Nukem has and will always be several magnitudes worse than DMC will ever be in terms of the "boys club" thing (and is even way, waaaaay worse in treatment of women)

Oct 25, 2017
Era's love of whataboutisms is such a pain in the ass. Blood and gore isn't nearly as much of a problem as the continued sexism that comes with sexualistion, a near completely exclusive issue for women that transcends all forms of media and has continues to be a consistent problem to this day.

Which is honestly kind of ironic considering how much of a female fanbase these games have always had. Makes it even more disappointing to see shit like this in the latest game, just makes the devs seem out of touch if anything.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
God forbid people stop making random whataboutisms when they talk about sexism in video games.
It's not a whataboutism, but please, by all means detract your attention from what I'm saying with nonsensical whataboutism accusations that people love to use when they just want to close their ears.

Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe this is anecdotal... But I recon female sexual harassment/explotation is much more real and rampant than people getting cut in twain.

If the violence upsets you, feel free to make a topic about it.

Cutting people isn't the only example of violence which is pretty rampant IRL. It's also not the only form of violence in games. Also... already did https://www.resetera.com/threads/extreme-violence-vs-privates-nsfw.14961/

Neither upsets me btw. I don't think anyone is oogling at some CGI half butt crack in DMC5 that shows up for less than 2 seconds, and I don't think anyone is getting immense pleasure from seeing red splattered across the screen (only thing that matters is seeing SSS n the screen :P) If there was some real explicit sexual shenanigans going on then I'd be down with the criticism cuz sex in games is cringy anyway. This however is just half a butt crack for 2 seconds.

Last edited:

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

wait so games can cuse people to become sexist, but not violence?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
This seems fine the way it was before. I think its shitty that two of the only female characters in the game (and the only ones who can fight) are naked for no reason at any point in the story. Why do i need to see their HD assholes/nipples/vaginas? Was the trope not gross enough already? (I know its not that explicit, but the tone of this from some people seems like theyd be defending it if it was)

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Their inclusion at all was eye-rolling at best. Haven't played DMC5 yet, but everything I have heard about their (Lady and Trish) roles in the game disappoints me. While certainly not perfect, Resident Evil usually treats their female characters with some decency.

Nico is awesome. You'll see when you play it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I think it was dumb to censor it (the only time that word is actually applicable) in the first place, but now they look like they're pandering to the worst people on the internet.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's not a whataboutism, but please, by all means detract your attention from what I'm saying with nonsensical whataboutism accusations that people love to use when they just want to close their ears.

Cutting people isn't the only example of violence which is pretty rampant IRL. It's also not the only form of violence in games. Also... already did https://www.resetera.com/threads/extreme-violence-vs-privates-nsfw.14961/

Neither upsets me btw. I don't think anyone is oogling at some CGI half butt crack in DMC5 that shows up for less than 2 seconds, and I don't think anyone is getting immense pleasure from seeing red splattered across the screen (only thing that matters is seeing SSS n the screen :P)

Okay your own topic had dubious returns on itself and what it's talking about. Nothing i said seems to have worked to you. Again, while a large proportion of women have reported being taken advantage of, where's your stat that people have been cut in half by swords? Further, sexuality and violence are pretty darn different topics to hone in on.

And don't I just love when men talk to me about dealing with the sexualization my sex (not theirs) largely experience. Thanks for trying.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Neither upsets me btw. I don't think anyone is oogling at some CGI half butt crack in DMC5 that shows up for less than 2 seconds, and I don't think anyone is getting immense pleasure from seeing red splattered across the screen (only thing that matters is seeing SSS n the screen :P) If there was some real explicit sexual shenanigans going on then I'd be down with the criticism cuz sex in games is cringy anyway. This however is just half a butt crack for 2 seconds.

Seems more like you are the one closing your ears, unfortunately. If you openly admit to not actually caring either about sexism or violence in games, why should anyone engage in a debate with you? That is the literal definition of arguing in bad faith. But don't worry, I already know what most men in gaming don't give a single shit about how women are treated, no need to prove it further.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Oh boy, I knew I'd ruffle some feathers
Eh... Duke Nukem has and will always be several magnitudes worse than DMC will ever be in terms of the "boys club" thing (and is even way, waaaaay worse in treatment of women)
True that, it's hard to top Duke in that department.
This is strictly your opinion. Not everyone has to agree with that
Agree to disagree and all that
Which is honestly kind of ironic considering how much of a female fanbase these games have always had. Makes it even more disappointing to see shit like this in the latest game, just makes the devs seem out of touch if anything.
Yeah pretty much, in general they should know how popular Trish and Lady are and would try to give them something better in the game other than glorified background characters.
wait so games can cuse people to become sexist, but not violence?
Doesn't make people sexist, but the entire concept of sexualistion as a whole is inherently sexist since it's been nearly entirely focused on women over men for the longest time.
Whataboutism is when you bring up another point unrelated to the main point to try and drive the conversation away from what's being talked about. In this case, you're trying to turn a conversation about sexualistion into a conversation about violence. DMC might have both of those things, but the topic is about censoring a butt, not about censoring violence.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
User Banned (2 Weeks): Repeatedly dismissing concerns surrounding objectification; previous severe infractions
Okay your own topic had dubious returns on itself and what it's talking about. Nothing i said seems to have worked to you. Again, while a large proportion of women have reported being taken advantage of, where's your stat that people have been cut in half by swords?

And don't I just love when men talk to me about dealing with the sexualization my sex (not theirs) largely experience. Thanks for trying.

Your clinging onto my usage of swords as an example when thats not the only form of violence in the game.

You also are making the assumption that my post was referring only to Trish. My thread originally showed pictures of a variety of things.

So I'm not telling you how to deal with the sexualization of your sex. I am saying that showing a butt crack (of any gender) for 2 seconds and making a thing about it is silly regardless of who you are and regardless of whos crack it is especially in a game with satanic themes.

Whataboutism is when you bring up another point unrelated to the main point to try and drive the conversation away from what's being talked about. In this case, you're trying to turn a conversation about sexualistion into a conversation about violence. DMC might have both of those things, but the topic is about censoring a butt, not about censoring violence.

Whataboutism takes into account context. Something is a whataboutism when it ALSO ignores the context of the problematic item. DMC has a very clear theme on demonic/satanic stuff which "occasionally" references certain human organs in conjunction with violence. You're intentionally (or perhaps it just didn't occur to you idk, not gonna assume) ignoring the context and theme of the game.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
oh no, quick someone slap a +18 on that satanic game, think of the children!
oh wait..
3max.jpg

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Im ok with sexy stuff if it fits the tone of the game. If its boob armor in a serious medieval game just for the sake of it than its questionable.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
Seems more like you are the one closing your ears, unfortunately. If you openly admit to not actually caring either about sexism or violence in games, why should anyone engage in a debate with you? That is the literal definition of arguing in bad faith. But don't worry, I already know what most men in gaming don't give a single shit about how women are treated, no need to prove it further.

I never said I don't care about sexism in games.I am saying there is nothing sexist about showing half a butt crack for 2 seconds. If this was DOA then I could understand the concerns. You're extrapolating from my post and assuming that I don't care about either. But please keep making assumptions about my argument and then accuse me of arguing in bad faith.

Oct 25, 2017
Im ok with sexy stuff if it fits the tone of the game. If its boob armor in a serious medieval game just for the sake of it than its questionable.
That's the thing; it doesn't fit DMC5 at all. The in-game characters mostly treat each other with respect and dignity yet the camera is telling you HEY PLEASE MASTURBATE TO THIS WOW LOOK IT'S A BUTT like the player is some kind of perma-boner idiot. Even setting the sexism of it all aside, it felt super out of place when I first played through the game. It literally felt like the dev team had a checkbox of "nude female butts" and they completely forgot about it then went "OH SHIT, someone edit in a few scenes quick before we ship!"

I never said I don't care about sexism in games. I am saying there is nothing sexist about showing half a butt crack for 2 seconds. If this was DOA then I could understand the concerns. You're extrapolating from my post and assuming that I don't care about either.
Ok, that's fair. But are you serious that there is "nothing sexist" about these scenes in DMC5? Did you even play the game? Read what I wrote above in this post and let me know your thoughts.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the lens flare made the scenes better imo. Much like the "We do not condone smoking" or whatever the warning was. If I wanted to see lady's ass I'd go check out some blender artists.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
No ones really upset an 18+ games features some explicit content. But aint it grand that the explicit content that gets special attention is almost solely focused on its female characters for dumb reasons??

Its the focus because that is what got censored.

If the V scene was differently lit and his butt was visible and that got censored or the scene ended differently with showing V from behind standing up and looking out of the door and that got censored it would have been dumb as well

They included the scene, the game was rated with it and then out of nowhere got selectively censored with a patch in 2 regions only on Ps4 and now got decensored in one of the 2 regions again. Its a dumb situation

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Just reminds me of how I wish they hadn't made them naked at all. It was really sad how Trish and mostly Lady were treated.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Honestly, I prefer the lens flare, it gives the scene a little more class and matches the Lady nude scene. It's not like it's full frontal nudity, it's only her ass on screen for a few seconds and it's hardly sexy, considering the context of the scene.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Its the focus because that is what got censored.

If the V scene was differently lit and his butt was visible and that got censored or the scene ended differently with showing V from behind standing up and looking out of the door and that got censored it would have been dumb as well

They included the scene, the game was rated with it and then out of nowhere got selectively censored with a patch in 2 regions only on Ps4 and now got decensored in one of the 2 regions again. Its a dumb situation

I mean the censor was stupid but we should question why once again (and again and again and again...) the male scene shows less than the female scene. It's even weird to do all of this in a DMC game.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
If Capcom wanted to avoid some form of backlash (which they never got, they pandered to their audience perfectly, even though DMC4SE made both damsel in distresses here playable), they should have erased these whole cutscenes, and even the presence of Trish and Lady AND the story's quality would have shot upwards.

Oh, I am sure Itsuno san's oogling at it alright, because there is no other rational explanation for these scenes. None. Nada. Zero.

I mean the censor was stupid but we should question why once again (and again and again and again...) the male scene shows less than the female scene. It's even weird to do all of this in a DMC game.

Artistic freedom! /lol

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
That's the thing; it doesn't fit DMC5 at all. The in-game characters mostly treat each other with respect and dignity yet the camera is telling you HEY PLEASE MASTURBATE TO THIS WOW LOOK IT'S A BUTT like the player is some kind of perma-boner idiot. Even setting the sexism of it all aside, it felt super out of place when I first played through the game. It literally felt like the dev team had a checkbox of "nude female butts" and they completely forgot about it then went "OH SHIT, someone edit in a few scenes quick before we ship!"

Ok, that's fair. But are you serious that there is "nothing sexist" about these scenes in DMC5? Did you even play the game? Read what I wrote above in this post and let me know your thoughts.
Tbh I don't think people actually react to the scene that way. Like idk maybe it's because I'm not straight, and don't really want sexualiztions of any gender to go away.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Tbh I don't think people actually react to the scene that way. Like idk maybe it's because I'm not straight, and don't really want sexualiztions of any gender to go away.

It's not about people getting a boner or not with seeing an ass, is about keeping female characters in games to be damsel in distress to be saved while showing skin to the camera. It's 2019 and devs are still creating scenes that seems taken from an old 80s movie.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Capcom has released a Devil May Cry 5 update today adding Bloody Palace survival mode, but tucked inside was the removal of any of the lens flare that showed up in cutscenes where players could see any form of nudity for the female characters. Here is an example of the game being censored on the PS4.

The uncensored version is back again as seen in this video after installing the new update. You can now see full nudity at around 1:06 timestamp in the video, which happens during a cutscene in Mission 11. It is unknown how the other censored scenes are changed after this update since they also exhibited similar lens flare effect.

This new policy at Sony PlayStation that leads to stricter censorship rules for games released on their platform is fucking absurd for a game rated M!
It's not even "full nudity". It's a buttcrack ffs.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I mean, there's issues in general "asking for sexualization" but I'mma let it slide for the purpose that sure humans like eye-candy from time to time.

But then it'd be great if female-to-male sexualization didn't skew 99:1. : /

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between sexualization and sexist stereotypes, also. Like I've previously stated in this thread; I have less than nothing against sexual content in games. I do have something against the way DMC5 in particular exploits women. Also, your experience isn't the only one. If you didn't find the content offensive, that's good for you. Others did however and most of those people are avoiding this conversation like the plague right now due to the level of apologism and handwaving in this thread. It's honestly shocking to me how OK with that most people on this forum seem to be.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
It's not about people getting a boner or not with seeing an ass, is about keeping female characters in games to be damsel in distress to be saved while showing skin to the camera. It's 2019 and devs are still creating scenes that seems taken from an old 80s movie.

Yup. The portrayal of the female characters in this game was just insulting. The series has never been great on that aspect, but you'd think it'd get better over time, not worse.

And the 'prudish' arguments are just dumb. I'd not even have issues with uncensored sex scenes, but that is not what we're getting here. All the big strong men are doing all the work doing badass stuff all dressed up, while female characters don't really do anything all game long and are reduced to naked trophies to be won back from the bad guys.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California

Like...I think I get what you're saying... It's just that...its a game based on satanic themes. Maybe they were trying to check boxes, but IMO they were checking boxes to follow an established theme which....makes sense too me idk. I don't feel it's out of place because of that. Considering the satanic theme it could have been a lot more explicit. We could be seeing full frontal penises and breasts and everything. I also just can't imagine anyone getting remotely tickled by seeing half a crack for 2 seconds. Like maybe I'm an outlier and 2 seconds of half a cheek does intrigue most people....but I doubt it. Maybe that's why I am having a hard time relating to peoples concerns, but I cannot fathom anyone being intrigued by a quick few frames of half a cheek.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Lol well that's stupid , surprises so many people cared about something so insignificant.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
The censorship was stupid in the first place. Making Trish and Lady eye candy and not actually compelling characters was even worse. I loved both of them in the prior games.

Oct 25, 2017
Like...I think I get what you're saying... It's just that...its a game based on satanic themes. Maybe they were trying to check boxes, but IMO they were checking boxes to follow an established theme which....makes sense too me idk. I don't feel it's out of place because of that. Considering the satanic theme it could have been a lot more explicit. We could be seeing full frontal penises and breasts and everything. I also just can't imagine anyone getting remotely tickled by seeing half a crack for 2 seconds. Like maybe I'm an outlier and 2 seconds of half a cheek does intrigue most people....but I doubt it. Maybe that's why I am having a hard time relating to peoples concerns, but I cannot fathom anyone being intrigued by a quick few frames of half a cheek.
I... don't get it? What does satanism have to do with female nudity? Are all games featuring male gaze pandering part of satanism suddenly? Why would nudity go hand-in-hand with a satanic game in the first place? Also, DMC5 is barely satanic whatsoever. "Demon king" and them going to a very vague definition of "Hell" isn't particularly 18+ territory whatsoever. Hell, the game is barely violent enough to warrant that sticker to begin with IMO. It doesn't even feel like a particularly mature game which makes the nudity make even less sense. If you want a truly satanic game that is actually steeped in satanic lore and earns that badge and also goes places with it, there's Bayonetta, a game that also features nudity to some extent. You know what game both actually make sense in? Fucking Bayonetta. Not DMC5.

(I still think many parts of Bayonetta handle sexuality poorly, but it is miles ahead of anything in this game no matter how you slice it.)

Also another part of why you have a hard time relating might be because you uh... are a man and haven't lived with sexist oppression your entire life. Out-of-place sexualization in a game like this stings more for some people than others.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Lol well that's stupid , surprises so many people cared about something so insignificant.
Because this isn't the first time Playstation version of games got censor. There is a trend happening, and people will continue to get angry about it, even if minor, until Sony stops doing. Even developers have added in that they are annoyed by the second screening needed to get their games publish.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Because this isn't the first time Playstation version of games got censor. There is a trend happening, and people will continue to get angry about it, even if minor, until Sony stops doing. Even developers have added in that they are annoyed by the second screening needed to get their games publish.
Who cares if a nude scene got censored, people will really bitch about anything.