• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 8, 2017
I love SG-1 and Atlantis was ok - but I don't really want more. I'd be interested in a reboot with a new take, but imo the primary appeal of the series was the combination of the cast chemistry, and the overall arc of an almost X-Com like trajectory for the humans - seeing them survive and eek out small wins then tech up over seasons was super satisfying. That's all over and now it's just kinda continuing for it's own sake.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
I loved watching Stargate growing up and would definitely watch and new show. Season 1-7 of SG1 were the peak of the show. 8-10 and SG1 and Atlantis were good but never quite grabbed me as much as. Universe I liked but the cast justness didn't do it for me, I preferred the light hearted approach SG1 had (seriously, the casting on SG1 was just perfect).

I do want the show to be a reboot though. I agree with the others here, the power creep in SG1 was amazing to watch throughout the show but by then end Earth was literally the number 1 in the galaxy and no one has the power to stop them. A reboot would be best.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Never watched Universe but SG-1 was good and Atlantis was great. The setting and cast were tremendous.

At this point I'm surprised they're not doing a reboot

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the 'don't retcon Universe' camp too. That show really showed some potential before it was canned. Let's be honest, lots of sci-fi shows have a weak season or two before they get going, including SG-1.

I think they probably need to take a small-scale Universe approach again, too. As of the end of SG-1, there aren't many places to go. The Tau'ri are ludicrously OP by the end - with giant Asgard death lasers capable of obliterating end-stage Ancients'/Ori vessels.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I REALLY disliked Universe at the start but it was really hitting its stride in Season 2 and I was really enjoying it.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When they have access to ships able to travel to other galaxies, it seems to have lost its point somewhat.

Atlantis already did the "Stranded far from home" thing to escape that, but even that lasted only 1 season before the first earth ship arrived. Universe tried it different and tried a different focus (the character drama) and people mostly disliked it.

I can't see a continuation of the Canon aside from some Sliders rip-off just a group randomly going about planets trying to get home.

Oct 26, 2017
It'd be easy enough to hit the reset button, like have an alternate universe only accessible via some quirk of gate travel, but the process of using the gate in such a way fries any tech they try to send through. No ships, Asgard or Ancient tech on missions, while still being able to showcase that stuff back in our universe.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how the "power creep" is a problem to be honest. In real life the most advanced countries have amazing tech too but that doesn't mean that tech is solving or can solve every problem on Earth.

For enemy factions, you could take inspiration from Viet Cong, Al Qaeda, ISIS, North Korea, Putin's Russia, the US' own alt right, etc.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
I expect the worst.

BdfQ.gif

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
I find it extremely ironic and telling that Syfy is breaking this story, though it originated on social media.

They've been saying this same sort of thing for the last ten years, and all we got was Stargate: Origins, which, we all know how that turned out.

I hope they do a follow up series to Atlantis and Universe, but I think too much time has passed at this point.

See you all in a couple years when we get the next update for the Stargate property.

Seriously though, why don't they bring the IP to RPG studio or something? Revive Stargate Worlds, or a concept similar, and I think it'll be very popular.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Specifically, Mallozzi noted that fans would get "answers" to the big cliffhanger ending that wrapped the franchise proper, with the final season of Stargate: Universe closing out with the ship jumping off into parts unknown.
How should we interpret this sentence? Would the new Stargate be a direct sequel to Universe? Would they bring back Begby? Or will they simply have a character utter a couple of sentences in a scene just to close out Universe's story?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How should we interpret this sentence? Would the new Stargate be a direct sequel to Universe? Would they bring back Begby? Or will they simply have a character utter a couple of sentences in a scene just to close out Universe's story?

If the show is set after Universe, then perhaps the first season finale of the new show could be about whatever they ended up finding at the end of their journey. Bring back some of the cast for a couple of episodes, tie it all into some mcguffin the main cast of the new show needs to save the day and then that should do.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Some of the statis pod malfunction and not everyone survives, that's it.

Though I do hope they bring back Eli. He's by far the best character in the series even though the writers treat him like shit and focus more on the marines drama.

2020-11-21: Brad Wright confirms the new series is still in the works
OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Since they're bringing old stuff back, I wouldn't mind more of that Battlestar prequel show. Everyone has probably moved on though.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Like them to set a series in a time where the Stargate system is known and used by the whole world.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Like them to set a series in a time where the Stargate system is known and used by the whole world.

This becoming the case was the pitch for the third Stargate SG-1 movie following in from Ark of Truth and Continuum. Who knows if any of that makes it in to whatever this pitch is.

To be honest though, it doesn't actually suit well to being used by the whole world. It's a small single ring that can only be active to one place at a time and only in one place at a time. It's a really shit transportation system for anything other than small localised populations and moving a small contingent of people. Which kind of makes sense, because the people who built it had space ships for that kind of mass transport.

I also don't envy them having to try and write a new series. Universe was heavily divisive and if they don't basically ignore it, they'll have a hard time getting back the fans of the more light hearted SG1 and Atlantis back. I also assume the opposite is true and the fans of Universe want closure too.

Make season 6 of Atlantis you cowards

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Stargate being revealed to the public was the plan for the canceled third SG-1 movie.
I''ve always wondered if this REALLY meant the Stargate would be revealed or if that would just be the plan for the start of the movie and by the end of the movie the characters would have changed their minds

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I''ve always wondered if this REALLY meant the Stargate would be revealed or if that would just be the plan for the start of the movie and by the end of the movie the characters would have changed their minds
The whole idea of "willing" human colonization through the Stargate system would open up whole new storylines.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe I'm making this up but isn't there some kind of contractual obligation to have characters from the original movie in the pilot of a new Stargate spin off?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Recently finished SG-1 and loved it overall.
I see there are 2 other shows - are they great too??

And yes please give us a new show!!!!!!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

Atlantis starts off okay and ends alright in the first season, and then the first half of season 2 is likely the lowest point of any stargate series.... and then they add Jason Momoa (yes the same Jason Momoa that is Aquaman) and the rest of atlantis is a lot of fun.

I wasn't a fan of the first season of Stargate Universe so I didn't watch the rest, most people aren't high up on the first season, but those who continued liked the later stuff but because the viewers weren't there it got cancelled as it got going from what I've heard.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlantis starts off okay and ends alright in the first season, and then the first half of season 2 is likely the lowest point of any stargate series.... and then they add Jason Momoa (yes the same Jason Momoa that is Aquaman) and the rest of atlantis is a lot of fun.

I wasn't a fan of the first season of Stargate Universe so I didn't watch the rest, most people aren't high up on the first season, but those who continued liked the later stuff but because the viewers weren't there it got cancelled as it got going from what I've heard.
The latter parts of Stargate Universe are some of the greatest sci-fi content in the entire franchise. Shame the show was canceled right at that moment.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

I thought Atlantis started really strong but started falling apart
specificly when Atlantis makes regular contact with Earth

Universe is my favorite of the three. It really nailed the progression of how strangers and fuckups can grow together through shared adventures into a family. It does it way better than the other series where everyone was already chummy basicly from the start.

Oct 25, 2017

Universe is my favorite of the three. It really nailed the progression of how strangers and fuckups can grow together through shared adventures into a family. It does it way better than the other series where everyone was already chummy basicly from the start.

It really helps that they start with a good reason to have such a mismatch of people, and not set it up that this crew who is recruited for an important mission is just terrible at being a crew.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It's pretty simple, just give us a new SG-1, new cast, same basic premise, just set in modern time and have the old cast make guest appearances or play supporting roles as now older higher ups. The SG project obviously still ongoing, so just move forward in time to whats going on.

And eventually also use the show as a way to close up some loose threads of the other shows.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I think Id prefer a total reboot at this point, but will wait and see. Hopefully its good, I love Stargate.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Still salty about Universe ending. It had really hit its stride at that point.

Imagine a world where Stargate Command was under President Trump

You mean Trumpgates, with the exit point of each gate being at the entry to a Trump offworld golf course.

He'd be a Goa'uld. One of the lesser ones who was bidding its time while the System Lords ruled.

The instant he was told he could be made to live a super long life he'd jump on it, thinking he was too strong to have his mind eaten by the parasite.

I guess on the plus side if Trump was taken over by a Goa'uld we might have had a decent pandemic response. Might have involved simply shooting anyone who got infected, but at least it'd be a plan.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

Thanks for the impressions :)
I might as well check them both out and see what I think. SG-1 definitely has its ups and downs so I'm not expecting the best show ever lol
But I need more sci-fi to watch now that I'm done SG-1

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Thanks for the impressions :)
I might as well check them both out and see what I think. SG-1 definitely has its ups and downs so I'm not expecting the best show ever lol
But I need more sci-fi to watch now that I'm done SG-1

atlantis is great the whole way through in my opinion until that stupid Las Vegas episode.

Stargate universe is slow to start but is really interesting by the end of it.