• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Stargate franchise ran for more than a decade with three live action series and a few movies (and a web series) along the way. But after being mothballed the past few years, it sounds like we're closer than ever to actually getting the 'Gate back online.

We already knew former producer Brad Wright, who helped shape the franchise across the runs of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe, had been working on a pitch for a new Stargate show the past year or so with studio MGM. But Hollywood is notoriously slow right up until it's not, and we haven't had much news lately. But we can take solace that things are, apparently, still chugging along behind the scenes.

As flagged by Gateworld, fellow producer Joseph Mallozzi has teased on Twitter and Reddit that talks are "progressing" toward getting the project off the ground (which is always better news than "dead") — and even offered up some details for fans wondering what shape the project might take. For one, Mallozzi made it pretty clear the pitch being developed by Wright is set within the existing continuity they spent several years building across the prior shows. He added fans would see plenty of "familiar faces" if the series moves forward. So all those adventures of SG-1, the alien races, the former characters, the world-building, the Destiny out trucking across the universe — all those things would presumably still be in the canon.

Specifically, Mallozzi noted that fans would get "answers" to the big cliffhanger ending that wrapped the franchise proper, with the final season of Stargate: Universe closing out with the ship jumping off into parts unknown.

More at:
www.syfy.com

Development for new Stargate TV series set within the SG-1, Universe canon is 'progressing'

The Stargate franchise ran for more than a decade with three live action series and a few movies (and a web series) along the way. But after being mothballed the past few years, it sounds like we’re closer than ever to actually getting the ‘Gate back online.

Lock chevron if old

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I want another one, the chemistry between the original cast was magical, and I'm not sure they could catch that again. It felt like a really fun series, of that specific era, where 20 episodes was fine that kept using the same forest.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
God they need to go back to the earth base. I'm sure Atlantis and Universe had their fans but SG1 being grounded by earth made the show so special. Later seasons already lost that however.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I also heard if Apple buy MGM they're planning on a high budget reboot of Stargate.
I wonder if this is the same plan that Brad Wright is working on?

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they bring back the Destiny. One of my all time favorite ship designs. Dipping into stars to refuel, having a gate onboard, the ability to explore multiple galaxies. So much sci-fi potential.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ORBGrmal.jpg

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Very cool. Not too sure of all the baggage but nice to be back. It's been too long since Universe ended so I can't actually remember much but I enjoyed it more in the end and then it got cancelled.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
PLEASE BE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want conclusion to Atlantis and continuation of Universe dammit!!

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They probably can't really bring Atlantis back. Jason Momoa would probably cost way too much and he's really the only actor that'd bring in fresh blood. I think bringing some SG-1 and Atlantis cast members to cameo in a new show with the same premise as the original had but with a new cast would work though.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
They should just remake the series completely if they go for a series w/ a decent budget.

Different evils, different arcs, etc-but the focus is on a tight knit team discovering there's a whole galaxy out there to explore and a humanity that's going to have to prepare for the attention that exploration is going to attract.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
If this happens and it's like SG1/Atlantis rather than Universe I will be very happy. Universe was just too tonally serious for my liking and I didn't care for too many of the new characters.

Getting back some of the old cast members for cameo episodes would be amazing though, especially if it involves some of the SG1 members like Christopher Judge and Amanda Tapping. :)

Oct 25, 2017
They should just remake the series completely if they go for a series w/ a decent budget.

Different evils, different arcs, etc-but the focus is on a tight knit team discovering there's a whole galaxy out there to explore and a humanity that's going to have to prepare for the attention that exploration is going to attract.

That's one of the changes from the movie to the tv series that I didn't like, just sticking to our galaxy. The movie had the Stargate located on the other side of the known universe.

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
It would be nice to have a show that gives proper closure to Atlantis and Universe.

I would probably be happy with the same SG-1 / Atlantis formula with a new team but I always dreamed of a show with bigger scale and stakes. Maybe expose the Stargate secret to the public and start the ascension of Humanity to space while dealing with new hostile and semi-friendly factions.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I dunno what you do in the old continuity. I'd almost rather a clean slate and go from scratch again.

Hopefully it's good and if successful maybe they'll give us a remaster if SG1.

Deleted member 77016

Banned
Aug 4, 2020
That's one of the changes from the movie to the tv series that I didn't like, just sticking to our galaxy. The movie had the Stargate located on the other side of the known universe.
Galaxies are really, really, unfathomably big places, and the known universe several orders of magnitude more. I think it stretches the suspension of disbelief past the breaking point to have aliens travel all that distance just to look for a particular mineral and slave labour.

Anyway, I think they should do a sort of soft reboot. Set it 100 years in the future long after the stargate programme has been made public and with a fresh slate politically for the stargate galaxy.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
This is quite possibly my favourite series, so yes please. They were all so good! Even if Universe did start off a bit rough it really got going by the end of season 2 (RIP).

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Revealing the Gate to the general public and the implications of said action has always intrigued me.

This was one thing that let me down with SG1 when I finally got round to watching it a few years ago. That even in the later season, they never looked at the fallout of it going public.

Which always seemed really, REALLY silly given that later in the show, they advance to manning interstellar starships and the program has thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of people working as part of the project.

Last edited:

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I also heard if Apple buy MGM they're planning on a high budget reboot of Stargate.
I wonder if this is the same plan that Brad Wright is working on?
Stargate Universe was pretty good but I'll rather take this! It's such a great mythology and a great template for awesome sci-fi but doing it cheaply and running it into the ground was not what it called for. Stargate could be incredible if done right.

Also might I add, we seriously need a cool Stargate game, now we have SSDs and immediate switching of locations now possible n

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'd prefer something like SG-1 and Atlantis in format. Just something that I can just put on every now and then and jump in at any time more or less.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
This was one thing that let me down with SG1 when I finall got round to watching it a few years ago. That even in the later season, they never looked at the fallout of it going public.

Which always seemed really, REALLY silly given that later in the show, they advance to manning interstellar starships and the program has thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of people working as part of the project.

Public Disclosure was intended to be the main backdrop for the third SG1 movie.
Just make sure to retcon Universe out of existence.

Why would you retcon the best of the three series?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I am very conflicted on what I think would be better.

1. Modernizing it so its much less campy and cheap looking

2. Keep that charm, go all in with prosthetics and and animatronics over CGI.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, this is one of the few franchises where I'd rather just have a full on reboot. Too hard to measure up to SG-1 and that original cast by continuing it.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
So I am very conflicted on what I think would be better.

1. Modernizing it so its much less campy and cheap looking

2. Keep that charm, go all in with prosthetics and and animatronics over CGI.
I'm not a Discovery hater, but I hope they keep the light-weight tone of SG1, instead of trying to do grittier like Star Trek was doing. I prefer Stargate doesn't try to be prestige. (Still be better than Atlantis....)

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I went through the series last year, so this is good news to my ears. Now we just need a blu-ray release of the last three seasons, or was it four? I still need to pick up all the seasons on dvd and blu-ray too.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
By the end of SG Atlantis, Earth was completely OP, overflowing with Asgard and Ancient tech. Any large antagonistic force that could challenge them (Ori, G'oald) have long since been defeated.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
A huge fan here, would love it back. I dont know what to expect after Universe though... Reallllllly drug its feet until it was cancelled then it was "Oh, heres a great arc and a nice cliffhanger!"

Like dude cmon... Maybe without the influence from the massive popularity of BSG lingering this time they will do better.