• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a Reddit user any more. That's why my thread got locked but this one stays open.

It's repeatable, and with instructions in the OP. A mod here has verified it themselves.

I dont know enough about this stuff to make a judgement. I am fine waiting for Kotaku/Eurogamer etc to a do a proper story and a follow up with Epic. Its not like I have it installed on my PC and need to act immediately.

/shrug.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I totally welcome the Epic store.
This is a little price to pay for the glorious curated experience that the Epic games Store gives us.

Why shouldn't they collect data from a completely different app on my pc?

On a more serious note: Can Valve push an update to stop this or protect the data?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

353.jpg

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know enough about this stuff to make a judgement. I am fine waiting for Kotaku/Eurogamer etc to a do a proper story and a follow up with Epic. Its not like I have it installed on my PC and need to act immediately.

/shrug.
Those outlets have consistently failed to report on issues like this. You are better trusting users here who verify it.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
More hyperbole. Please list said American laws this breaks. As this is where I live and where I'm posting from. GDPR is an extremely niche law effecting a minority of the webs population.

Europe is niche breh? At some point you just gotta let the company take the L, whether you like them or not. Embarassing yourself over here.

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
This is Epic looking into your LOCAL files to get around the privacy lock on your Steam account.

This competely goes around the privacy settings because you cant be private to your own information on your own computer.
Exactly. And Sergey still gets paid for SteamSpy. This stuff really doesn't seem on the up and up.

SerTapTap

Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't considered Sergey actually using it for steamspy stuff, that would be REALLY bad. I thought steam spy kind of wound down and haven't looked at it in a long time though so that's probably just me not thinking about it.

On a more serious note: Can Valve push an update to stop this or protect the data?

Of course, they can change the data format or even encrypt it (as far as the steam files; game saves, if it's reading them directly, have to be left alone since the game has to be able to read them), though I suspect Epic will be removing this 'feature' as soon as it hits some of the bigger news sites and they probably won't do anything before then anyway.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't really have a reason to install it before, but I guess I'll never be installing it.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody tried doing a GDPR 'subject access request' yet? Takes 30 days but they've got to hand over any information they've collected about you.

I'd be curious to know if their janky ass store even has the ability to dump a users data.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I lurked on this forum for a while now.

Finally registered to thank the OP for their inquiry.

I will uninstall this launcher as soon as I get home (not like I ever played any of those freebies anyway).

I can only hope someone at epic enjoyed the hours played of my Steam copy of Metro Exodus going up this month.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
A bit off topic but it is genuinely shocking to me that steam cloud data backups are just sitting there unencrypted.

This is, like, actually anti-consumer in a very precise and concrete way that their acquisitions are not, or at least goes beyond the ways in which capitalistic standard-operating-procedures are anti-consumer.

This competely goes around the privacy settings because you cant be private to your own information on your own computer.

Well there are definitely ways in Windows (as I imagine most Steam and EGS combination users are) to restrict both read and write access to files, but it's hard to prevent access to these files with specific programs so easily. I don't know of any obvious way to give Steam access to them and not prevent other programs from having access, though.

Deleted member 10601

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be no big problem if they just collected the "usual data", CPU, GPU, etc. No, they collected specific data without consent.
If they collect specific data they have to specify somewhere in clear and readable language what data they collect and for what they use them. I found nothing about that on their site.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
That's a massive yikes from me, my dude. Unless they specified they would do this in their ToS (which they obviously didn't), then that's shady af.

That said, can we please layoff the Yellow Scare shit? Regardless of how shady the Chinese government and corporations like Tencent are, the conspiracies aren't a good look.
Feels like Sergey has a degree of contempt for his audience, given this exchange I had with him, regarding a tweet he liked:

He opted not to clarify which sub-group he was referring to.

I mean, where's the lie tho? If the debacles over the Mass Effect 3 ending have taught me anything, it's that the gaming crowd is the last people you want to deal with on a regular basis, especially now in the age of social media.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, where's the lie tho? If the debacles over the Mass Effect 3 ending have taught me anything, it's that the gaming crowd is the last people you want to deal with on a regular basis, especially now in the age of social media.
Reads to me more like he thinks Epic are entitled to market share just because they've thrown some money around, and people should just shut up, accept it, and unquestioningly CONSUME.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Reads to me more like he thinks Epic are entitled to market share just because they've thrown some money around, and people should just shut up, accept it, and unquestioningly CONSUME.
Fair. I think it's because I want to be a creative type at some point, and seeing stuff like people demanding that Casey Hudson change the ending to ME3 and not respecting his response of it violating his and Mac's artistic integrity makes me more sympathetic to those types of statements.

But yeah, as a guy who's gamed on consoles most of his life, moneyhatting exclusives isn't that big of a deal to me. Using my data without express permission is a whole other matter.

Haklen

Dec 15, 2018
I'm sick today so zero

I have all the strawberry guava diet coke tho

Ever try a guava paste sandwich with mozzarela? It's good, seriously, but using that in sweets is pretty common from what I gather, but mixing it's juice with Strawberry juice though, ok I'm curious, trying it out sometime, but I could do without the coke, which is probably what makes them a lot more sweet already, considering how sugary they can be.

And back on topic, they are totally getting GDPR fines on their hands, riiiight?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I wonder if Spybot - Search and Destroy is still around.

Weren't those the good ol days? Having to worry about that shit on a regular basis?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Fair. I think it's because I want to be a creative type at some point, and seeing stuff like people demanding that Casey Hudson change the ending to ME3 and not respecting his response of it violating his and Mac's artistic integrity makes me more sympathetic to those types of statements.

But yeah, as a guy who's gamed on consoles most of his life, moneyhatting exclusives isn't that big of a deal to me. Using my data without express permission is a whole other matter.
Seems to me like even in the console space, MS doing the type of deals like what Epic are doing caused the Tomb Raider series a significant degree of harm.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest don't think this is a big deal and the data collection doesn't bother me. Maybe a GDPR issue, but I would imagine they knew that risk.