• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
dragon-warrior-3-06.png

Heroes sleep fully geared, MOM!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I understand why on paper. It's 10x easier to just slap your model on a bed in their default gear for what will ultimately be a 5 swc transition scene as they never go to sleep again. But the act of seeing a character actually under the covers has elevated numerous titles to GOTY status.

It's probably more like 100x or 1000x harder, especially since having your character lie down in bed fully armored is super easy, but yeah, large pieces of cloth accomodating to the movement of a character under them without said character clipping is indeed really freaking hard. I guess the easiest way is showing only your character's head and an opaque, thick blanket, and then animate the blanket, but animating your characters actually getting into the bed, like lifting the sheets and getting under them? You're going to get a fade to black or conspicuous "camera looking at nothing" shot 99% of the time.

We have accounts for stuff like "Can you pet the dog" when in reality this is a 10x more important and relevant matter.

Petting dogs is much easier to animate though, especially if all your dogs are the same size, but even if they're not.

In the end every dev needs to make their own assessment of work-to-reward, and this is one thing where it's

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's hard to do, but it's interesting that the worst examples posted are from the biggest budget games mentioned.

If Deadly Premonition, the Trails series and Persona 5 can do it, then surely Final Fantasy VII and Cyberpunk 2077 could at least do a little better than they did?

dsmash

May 19, 2020
I'm sure it's hard to do, but it's interesting that the worst examples posted are from the biggest budget games mentioned.

If Deadly Premonition, the Trails series and Persona 5 can do it, then surely Final Fantasy VII and Cyberpunk 2077 could at least do a little better than they did?
I assume that's because the more realistic the world, the harder it is to get it right.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
(Bed)sheet physics would be amazing. You could run around pretending to be a scary ghost, or throw duvets over badguys before smashing their face in with a postbox.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's probably more like 100x or 1000x harder, especially since having your character lie down in bed fully armored is super easy, but yeah, large pieces of cloth accomodating to the movement of a character under them without said character clipping is indeed really freaking hard. I guess the easiest way is showing only your character's head and an opaque, thick blanket, and then animate the blanket, but animating your characters actually getting into the bed, like lifting the sheets and getting under them? You're going to get a fade to black or conspicuous "camera looking at nothing" shot 99% of the time.

Petting dogs is much easier to animate though, especially if all your dogs are the same size, but even if they're not.

In the end every dev needs to make their own assessment of work-to-reward, and this is one thing where it's

Thanks for the insight. I'm of course being a bit facetious but it is something I'd like to see.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
FF3 did this in a brilliant way. They set the bottom half of the bed to cut away at the characters sprite so it looks like the character is laying down on the pillow under the covers. Its so smart.

14-ffvi07_026.png

As a kid this legit blew my mind. So stupid simple, so effective. Also FFVI has some amazingly cozy bedrooms.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

In FF7 it was actually kind of plot critical that Cloud sleep over the sheets because at one point in the story he needs to be on his feet and sword in hand within seconds of waking up. And since this is Cloud Strife we are talking about, i.e. he does not know how to be normal and probably could not wash his dishes to save his life, i imagine everyone else sleeps normally under the sheets until shown otherwise.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Make sure they wear pajamas too, and if they don't, explain to me that they don't own any and that it's too cold for them to sleep in their undies.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I interpreted that tweet to mean during gameplay, not a cutscene.
What possible purpose could something like that have during gameplay to be so desirable that everyone would be attempting to do it? No, I'm sure he meant it as in "with realtime graphics", as it's just incredibly difficult to do that with realtime graphics. And they indeed finally managed to do it in TLOU2, after probably hundreds of games where something like that was always done off-camera.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
What possible purpose could something like that have during gameplay to be so desirable that everyone would be attempting to do it? No, I'm sure he meant it as in "with realtime graphics", as it's just incredibly difficult to do that with realtime graphics. And they indeed finally managed to do it in TLOU2.

Lol, ask Rockstar what possible purpose there was to fully animate damn near everything in RDR2 including physically opening drawers and picking up loot before acquiring it.

The answer: Immersion
(not that I liked it)

I could see a developer wanting a full animation everytime a character changes clothes for similar immersion.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

It probably depends how much it happens. In FFVII it happens once, but in Persona 5 specifically it happens all the time.

Nov 1, 2017
I'll have to double check but in FFXV don't they do a half-step where Noct takes off his shoes in bed but he's still not underneath the covers?

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
FF3 did this in a brilliant way. They set the bottom half of the bed to cut away at the characters sprite so it looks like the character is laying down on the pillow under the covers. Its so smart.

14-ffvi07_026.png
Was Square the first ones to do it? I didn't play FFVI until much later but I do remember seeing that in many 2d jrpgs. But they all probably released after VI.
what game is this? Xeno something?
Not impressive, every Yakuza game has multiple scenes were people rip entire shirts and suit jackets off in one go. Truly the work of artists.
Haha thought it was a serious reply at first.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Your asking developers to remove an entire feature or level of a game to support something as complex/expensive as cloth physics/simulation or custom animation/rig and typically adds little to no value to the playing experience.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, ask Rockstar what possible purpose there was to fully animate damn near everything in RDR2 including physically opening drawers and picking up loot before acquiring it.

The answer: Immersion
(not that I liked it)

I could see a developer wanting a full animation everytime a character changes clothes for similar immersion.
Unless the undressing action happens literally while you're controlling the character, it's not much different than the cutscene type of animation. But with realtime graphics, it's a huge problem to do that kind of crumpling on a character that moves, while also avoiding clipping. To my knowledge this was not done in realtime graphics in a game before TLOU2.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Cloth physics isn't the tough problem, especially for cutscenes where you can just pre-render/pre-bake the animation. It's making it all look natural that's a problem, and takes way more time than it's worth.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The stuff they did with clothing in TLOU2 was probably the most impressive stuff ever done in a video game when it comes to clothing. Especially with how natural it all looked.

Cutscene = Baked animation. Impressive for whatever software they ran the cloth sim in, but it sure as hell wasn't computed in real time.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Cutscene = Baked animation. Impressive for whatever software they ran the cloth sim in, but it sure as hell wasn't computed in real time.
It's still incredibly impressive bit of animation. Look at how she briefly attempts to grab the shirt, misses, before catching a grip. While another character grabs it too. That shot is insanely hard to animate in a convincing way. And the game is full of other scenes where characters interact with clothing just as convincingly. So much that it doesn't even register that it's an incredibly rare thing to see in video games.