• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like Deja vu just before PS4 and Xbox One launched a couple of years ago.
But don't worry PS5 pro and Xbox - S will launch mid generation with it own quirks.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, they are doing so out of ignorance. But you have knowledge they don't possess and are deciding to stoop to their level.

I mean I go out of my way to break things down for people pretty frequently on this and other boards. I don't mind answering questions or misconceptions that are specific. That guy is just so fundamentally wrong about what he's talking about, though, and very confident at the same time, that I can't help but laugh. I would take, quite literally, an entire book to explain to this guy where his misconceptions come from.

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
This is why I'm primarily a PC gamer. So I am not at the mercy of the poor decision making by so many devs to make their games 30 FPS so they look good in screen shots and terrible when in motion. I'll only accept 30 FPS when it's a console exclusive and I have no other option.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
That's because they've been designed around that bottom of the barrel limitation, with a bunch of assists like auto aim built in. That's not even how responsive the game actually is, see the difference in 30fps gaming when comparing something like Killzone 2 vs 3. There's a world of difference between a 30hz and 60hz point and shoot game. HOTD Overkill is a slow, laggy game that gives you ages to line up shots, while the HOTD 2 doesn't hesitate ripping your nose off because it was designed using a CRT gun at 60fps instead of the slower Wii Mote at 30fps.
Like I said, some games are hurt by 30 fps, some aren't. Are you really saying that games like The Witness and Persona are lesser because they run at 30 fps?

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
they always add more detail and make it run slow,
if the Xbox One targeted Xbox 360 quality it could probably run all games at perfectly stable 60FPS or more.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be tricky for sure but they'll think of something.

I mean, we all know that the main reason why we don't have steady 30 fps on modern consoles are "shitty CPUs" despite the fact that it's 100% a developer choice of how to utilize these CPUs in the first place. So it'll be "shitty RT h/w" or "low memory bandwidth" or "the need to provide an improvement on these 8K TVs" or something.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
SSD drives, the new ATM machines.
Anyway devs are going to push the GPU to it's limit like always, so sub-par performance will happen on many titles, it doesn't matter how powerful the components are.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Unfortunately "consumer demand" for more graphically intensive games with Ray Tracing etc will drop performance like a stone next gen. If you all stopped demanding better graphics and kept to Xbox One X levels, you may get your wish.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
lol

OP is in for a rude awakening when performance issues are first spotted at the very unveil events early next year.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ITT - A lot of ignorant people trying to downplay the performance impact of having a 600% CPU compute increase along with an SSD and absolutely insane memory bandwidth for stable 30fps / 60fps games.

Memory bandwidth and slow storage are two of the main reasons 30fps games drop below their target framerate on PS4/XB1.

Are we really ignoring that most 30fps games this gen held their framerate much better than last gen too and that was with a tiny CPU performance leap overall. A lot of people choosing to ignore the amount of impressive looking console games that are 60fps or have 60fps modes in them too I see and that's with Jaguar...

Y'all ain't ready for next gen :)

Native 4K is such a waste. I'd rather see better graphics at 1080p and/or 60fps than 4K.

The next gen consoles are built with native 4k rendering in mind. Developers won't be 'wasting' much by choosing it because of the much better balance of system specs compared to this generation. GPU shading cores, memory bandwidth and the SSD's aswell as modern engines are all optimized around 4k output (aswell as tricks like dynamic res and DLSS).

It won't be like this gen where dropping from 1080 to 720 will give you 20fps out of nowhere. Don't sweat it.

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Of course they will. Unless you think what we have today is the limit, then I don't see why devs won't push the next gen consoles to or over their limit to get even better graphics/physics, because pc hardwares only get better, and consoles, not.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course they will. Unless you think what we have today is the limit, then I don't see why devs won't push the next gen consoles to or over their limit to get even better graphics/physics, because pc hardwares only get better, and consoles, not.

Did you miss the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X ?...

A lot of posters in this thread seem to be PC only players who are now getting extremely defensive (as happens around the reveal of all next gen consoles) because this time next year a $4-500 console will run AAA next gen only games better than their current PC.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
ITT - A lot of ignorant people trying to downplay the performance impact of having a 600% CPU compute increase along with an SSD and absolutely insane memory bandwidth for stable 30fps / 60fps games.

Memory bandwidth and slow storage are two of the main reasons 30fps games drop below their target framerate on PS4/XB1.

Are we really ignoring that most 30fps games this gen held their framerate much better than last gen too and that was with a tiny CPU performance leap overall. A lot of people choosing to ignore the amount of impressive looking console games that are 60fps or have 60fps modes in them too I see and that's with Jaguar...

Y'all ain't ready for next gen :)

The next gen consoles are built with native 4k rendering in mind. Developers won't be 'wasting' much by choosing it because of the much better balance of system specs compared to this generation. GPU shading cores, memory bandwidth and the SSD's aswell as modern engines are all optimized around 4k output (aswell as tricks like dynamic res and DLSS).

It won't be like this gen where dropping from 1080 to 720 will give you 20fps out of nowhere. Don't sweat it.
You do realize it's still devs choice right? If they want to throw so much crap on screen that it barely runs at 30fps, then they can.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people said that because battlefield 4 was 60 fps that every game on the PS4 would be 60fps as a standard?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of posters in this thread seem to be PC only players who are now getting extremely defensive (as happens around the reveal of all next gen consoles) because this time next year a $4-500 console will run AAA next gen only games better than their current PC.

Honestly, kinda looks like you're the one being defensive.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sub-par literally means "below average".

As soon as the new consoles come out, and devs make shiny new things for them, then the average goes up. By definition, roughly half of all games have always been, and always will be, sub-par within their rough cohort.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sub-par literally means "below average".

As soon as the new consoles come out, and devs make shiny new things for them, then the average goes up. By definition, roughly half of all games have always been, and always will be, sub-par within their rough cohort.
Someone already posted a form of defective reasoning being displayed by the OP. His poor competence on this subject resulted in a poorly throughout (but confident) statement.

Your reasonable and sensible reply should've been the first type of rational used before making a highly inappropriate claim.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I hope that any game that doesn't hold at least rock steady 30 fps will be really spanked by reviews with at least 1 point/10 per cent lower scores...

Man, some people in the internet are really obsessed with scores.
I'm honestly fine with the textures, lighting (don't really care for ray tracing), geometry, etc... Where games need serious improvement is (1) collision detection and (2) animation.

When animation looks really good, it's often canned and unresponsive. And it rightfully draws complaints (see RDR2). Clipping capes or swords through persons also instantly takes me out of a game.

Of course, the problem with clipping is less pure hardware and more algorithms and simulations needing to be more advanced.

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I do wonder how that could be the case and other games looking less impressive struggle at 30FPS.

I don't have any knowledge about game development it is just what I wonder about sometimes.
A lot of it comes down how much time/money/skill is put towards optimization. Getting games to look good AND run well is a lot of work. More powerful hardware can make this easier by way of brute force, but that's assuming you're keeping the same visual fidelity. Obviously people will expect a visual leap next gen, so you'll be right back where you started.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I do wonder how that could be the case and other games looking less impressive struggle at 30FPS.

I don't have any knowledge about game development it is just what I wonder about sometimes.

I'm not a game developer but from my understanding battlefield 4 was a last gen game so a lot of the assets were less demanding and Dice made their own engine specifically for first person shooters and are very good at optimizing it.(Bioware had a lot of problems with the same engine even getting rpg systems to work because the engine didn't support it)

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Did you miss the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X ?...

Seems to me you're the one being defensive. Nothing I've said about devs pushing the limit is wrong really, but you chose to focus on that last line instead.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
If PC gaming is anything to go by, developers will simply use the more powerful hardware as a crutch to support their shoddy optimization instead of actually putting an effort worth a damn into making the game run smooth.

When hardware was simpler you couldn't get away with shoddy optimization, so we saw all sorts of neat tricks to make games run better. That's much less the case now, unless you're Nintendo.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I don't want to sound like an asshole, but it should be a mandate for every game, to be at least 60 fps, or have an option to lock/ cap at 60 fps. Either way, every game is playable at 60 fps, period. It's time. Performance needs to be top priority going forward.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I believe there has been an equivalent of this thread every generation since the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I do think more games will perform better next gen simply because more games will lack the budget to really push these machines.

next gen seems to be much more balanced compared to last gen. Jaguars were trash even in 2013, and hdds even though they were the only alternative for the price, they kind of suck.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I think OP has a point... But these type of issues usually come down to time and money. Past gens and this gen you could also say it's the hardware fault. Here's an interesting video on why games had weak performances lastgen on both the 360 and PS3. Basically the more streamline the hardware gets the easier it should be for devs to get the best out of a box without much complications. Problem this gen was how weak the cpu was. Nextgen games could require much more cpu power if devs make good use of them, so good performance isn't assured just because of better hardware. But you should expect better than what we have now.

Last edited:

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Development is hard. Bumping the numbers doesn't just suddenly make it easy. You're still talking thousands of hours of optimization work

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
I'd love for "performance mode" with locked 60 FPS to be a thing in all games but I can't see how a new generation of hardware will change that. The tech has been there for at least a couple of generations, but not the demand. In the end visuals sell better, that's at least my conclusion.