• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Sub 30 frames per second will still be a thing next-gen. Unless we are expecting 30fps720p and even then not all studios are created equally.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Reeks of lazy dev-type criticism. New generations bring new technology, they don't solve intrinsic problems.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shocking display of comprehension OP.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Y'all say this before every new gen, eat up that marketing, then get a reality check once cross-gen stops and the games start rolling out.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If they continue to try and push the envelope visually then we'll still see games that struggle unfortunately.

Personally, I'll say the same thing I said in 2013. I'd be happy with this gens graphics at 1080(4K now)/60 with full AA and improved textures/lighting.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
wont ps5 be able to render up to 8k? there will definitely be performance issues

Feb 10, 2018
This problem won't be resolved until we reach graphics no different to reality at 120fps, probably about 25yrs off that.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Ever heard of a GPU?

Plus power is always relative, give a dev 10X CPU power, it doesnt mean he might not try something that CPU still cant fully handle,

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
We will never reach that point because budgets, time, staff, tools, etc., will never be infinite.

That is precisely why we will reach that point. At a certain point hardware will outpace developer's abilities to use that hardware due to budgetary concerns.

It already happened to an extent this gen. Unfortunately, 4K is free to implement which increases the performance burden by 4X4, and Tracing will be relatively cheap if support is built into engines like UE.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
That is precisely why we will reach that point. At a certain point hardware will outpace developer's abilities to use that hardware due to budgetary concerns.

It already happened to an extent this gen. Unfortunately, 4K is free to implement which increases the performance burden by 4X4, and Tracing will be relatively cheap if support is built into engines like UE.

You're thinking too small.

Vision will always outpace tools for execution.

I can't count the number of gens I legit thought, "We've peaked. It can't get any better than this."

But nature always finds a way.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
While I agree with the dogpile that people say this every generation, I do think this generation has been one of the most stable and consistent with performance and it suggests the trend will remain next gen. Most PS4 and X1 games hold their framerate targets pretty well -- dynamic scaling has helped a lot IMO.

The consoles for this hardware gen were devised with a lot of developer input and this seems true for the next, and the scalability tools are only getting better. While I don't think developers have "no" excuse, I think they will have a lot more options under their belt to ensure stable and consistent experiences.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I hope you demand as much out of your personal and professional life as you do game performance. Do you realize how hard it is to make a game? Devs are already overworked as is.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
You're thinking too small.

Vision will always outpace tools for execution.

I can't count the number of gens I legit thought, "We've peaked. It can't get any better than this."

But nature always finds a way.
Sure, some developers will. But that number will become increasingly small. I mean, Red Dead was the only game Rockstar released this gen and must have cost hundreds of millions. When your game development cycle becomes longer than the typical console cycle you've hit a breaking point.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
We say this before every new gen.

We're let down when visual ambition quickly overtakes hardware capability every new gen.
This isn't a actually true. This gen has had far smoother frame rates than the 360/PS3 gen, and it's had more 60fps games too. I believe this focus on frame rate will increase into next gen.

They'll use Ray Tracing as an excuse.
The moment I heard these new consoles would be able to do ray tracing this has been my fear. Some developers won't be able to resist having that bullet point on the box, frame rate be damned.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Performance is a meager issue hopefully developers continue to make great new creative pieces of interactive entertainment

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
You do realize OP that most of devs will favor graphics over FPS and performance, and even the leaked multiplatform game on PS5 with fancy UE4 graphics is still struggling between 25-30 in its current unoptimised version on PS5 devkit prototype 1?

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
This fucking attitude is what makes GAMING horrible. Eww, the fuck kind of recliner are you sitting on?!

And no, each game development scenario is different. Each has their own dynamic deadlines, goals, rules and characteristics that come from their unique employees. And that's not even the tip of the iceberg to being to understand what every employee does that is involved with making a video game.

To set a default line in the sand because of whatever reasons, with no source of evidence to prove your theory, is stupid as fuck. Yeah sure Jan lets all just sign a law of gaming so that everyone knows that each game is made the exact same way with the Same performance and same bla blah blah - fuck this elitist shit. Call you the fuck out with that bulllshit.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
DAohfx1XgAAgjAA.jpg

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
Performance is a choice, of course. Even N64 games could have stable good framerates. But as we get more and more powerful consoles, the cost-benefit of using the performance for better visuals instead of stable performance and high framerates begins to shift a bit in favor of the performance side. With next gen consoles I expect that more devs will reach the conclusion that good framerates are better than better visuals, because of the diminishing returns of increasing visuals. But I don't think that it will be a huge difference, I think we will see only a moderate amount of better framerates than current gen titles.

Oct 25, 2017
If next gen consoles have power to spare, devs will not focus on optimizing their games because they won't have to. In the same way a lot of PC apps are memory and CPU hogs for no good reason just because we are running them on beefy hardware where this does not impact the overall experience.

First party devs will optimize for sure. Third party will continue to be a crapshoot.

This.. they will blame RT for the bad performance.. a new gen doesn't mean flawless framerate or frame pacing.. it's the opposite

New consoles won't be able to handle 4k+RT at all at 60 fps. Will be locked at 30 and the new gen will suck again

4K/30fps with RT will be fine for most games. Don't want to see any shooters(Destiny) or racers(Drive Club) running at 30fps though.

Last edited:

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
Lol at people sweating and trying to talk down the nextgen consoles.
The gap is closing......

No seriously, im expecting even more smoother games this time at launch.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be ridiculous. 30 fps is fine for most games.
That's because they've been designed around that bottom of the barrel limitation, with a bunch of assists like auto aim built in. That's not even how responsive the game actually is, see the difference in 30fps gaming when comparing something like Killzone 2 vs 3. There's a world of difference between a 30hz and 60hz point and shoot game. HOTD Overkill is a slow, laggy game that gives you ages to line up shots, while the HOTD 2 doesn't hesitate ripping your nose off because it was designed using a CRT gun at 60fps instead of the slower Wii Mote at 30fps.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
There's always an excuse. From new tech they weren't ready for, to rushed deadlines to make the console launch window to even them claiming their pursuit for graphical fidelity and techniques was worth the unstable framerate as they didn't want to leave unused overhead. Even at 1080 don't expect a locked 30FPS in most cases, especially not if the some trends of forcing downscalling continues

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Each 3D generation has been a decent improvement on the last when it comes to performance as a whole IMO. But there will always be 'subpar' performing games on consoles. Especially as things get more and more complicated.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
People have said this at the dawn of every single new console generation, and every single time they've been wrong.

How long have you been playing videogames, OP?

You can bet your ass developers will cram
in so much shit and visual effects that they'll easily find ways to get shit performance.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Performance is a choice, of course. Even N64 games could have stable good framerates. But as we get more and more powerful consoles, the cost-benefit of using the performance for better visuals instead of stable performance and high framerates begins to shift a bit in favor of the performance side. With next gen consoles I expect that more devs will reach the conclusion that good framerates are better than better visuals, because of the diminishing returns of increasing visuals. But I don't think that it will be a huge difference, I think we will see only a moderate amount of better framerates than current gen titles.

Next gen we get a console without a crappy cpu.

We were never going to see good peak performance. One thing about cpus especially vs jaguars is the kind of class of cpu we get ryzen doesn't have horrible minimum frame timing in games they've benched.

I genuinely look forward to see how devs figure out how to bottom out pretty good apis with decent ram architecture and damn good solid gpu and cpu fundementals. Gamecube wishes and PS4 wish they could be as good as what we got coming.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
You seem to be under the asumption that developers will be using all of next-gen console powers to make games have perfect performance, rather than having better visuals. There hasn't been anything in history to back that up :)

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Hold my beer"...

In the same vein of gamers repeating the same nonsense every generation, who else is looking forward to hottakes about games not looking any better than this gen or about 1080p still being plenty or how whatever advancement happens doesn't make a difference or isn't important?

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
It is not belittling someone to tell them that they shouldn't go around calling others "trash" and "incompetent" because they don't know how things work.

Exactly. They are doing so out of ignorance. But you have knowledge they don't possess and are deciding to stoop to their level.