• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
At least games you can still take breaks from games like Animal Crossing and pick them up a few months later. Sure, you might miss a birthday or any other date you set up with a neighbour, but you can move on and get hooked/entertained in another way.

I find more problematic those games that set specific timers to make you wait and come back to click and wait again... or pay. Those are the true time wasters.
I'm still upset at Pokémon Picross making me wait for the ink to refill.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
There is room for more than 1 game in a genre. It's why Apex, Fortnite and PUBG coexist in this landfield of dead battle royale games. Not everyone can or does play all 3 but each one offers something different for everyone. Personally, for me and my friends it's Fortnite and as far as GAAS games go we haven't found one which is why i am glad more companies are doing it. Not all will survive and that's fine but not everyone cares about a Destiny or Warframe or but wants a Destiny like game to sink their teeth into.

Not having time isn't new. Nobody has unlimited time and it's why a lot of people prefer shorter games to longer games and why people only gravitate to 1 big game every 6-12 months. I get it, i run a business and have 2 kids i pretty much have 1 mainline online game i play at any given time (PUBG) and single player game (Luigi's Mansion 3).

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Okay play what you want and can, no one is forcing you too...

Don't get this feeling at all. Should there only be one living game because you already have others to play with years of history?

Oct 28, 2017
There's your problem right there. The gaming industry hasn't caught up with the fact that Millennials are old now. They sell stuff to kids and young adults and people in their 30s just happen to come along for the ride.

I'm out my 30s and the Switch is Nintendo catering to my gaming habits directly.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is room for more than 1 game in a genre. It's why Apex, Fortnite and PUBG coexist in this landfield of dead battle royale games. Not everyone can or does play all 3 but each one offers something different for everyone. Personally, for me and my friends it's Fortnite and as far as GAAS games go we haven't found one which is why i am glad more companies are doing it. Not all will survive and that's fine but not everyone cares about a Destiny or Warframe or but wants a Destiny like game to sink their teeth into.

Not having time isn't new. Nobody has unlimited time and it's why a lot of people prefer shorter games to longer games and why people only gravitate to 1 big game every 6-12 months. I get it, i run a business and have 2 kids i pretty much have 1 mainline online game i play at any given time (PUBG) and single player game (Luigi's Mansion 3).

That the GAAS field is crowded with just a handful of titles is the problem. If you're working on a game that competes with Spider-Man, SotTR, UC4, or GoW, you can push back the release by a month and have your own window where people who play SP games will go to you after they're done with their last game. If you're making a BR game today, there's no window for you. You gotta put it agaist massive competition and just hope it floats.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, just don't play them OP. I don't really get what your complaining about, there are still plenty of "standard" "non-living" games to play. Is complaining about live service games the new "only multiplayer games are being made, where are all the single player games?!" I don't complain about JRPG devs for not catering to my tastes, cause they're just not made for me.

I think it just comes down to what kind of gamer you are? I'm not a completionist. I play for fun. If said game I'm playing has an event I need to play this weekend for to get some random inconsequential item, I'm not gonna care if I miss it. I haven't found a game where i feel some sort of obligation to play it against my will.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I feel you OP. I avoid AAA games nowadays for just this reason. I recently started playing Destiny 2, and I'm enjoying the game, but I'm quickly burning out on the grind.

I feel like live service games nowadays are designed for college students or the unemployed seeking validation in video games.

Playing CoD right now and enjoying it but have a good feeling when the battle pass comes out, I'll be burned out and don't want to do what they ask me to do

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I think the best case scenario for me is SP games that release DLC and expansions. I'll gladly pay for good SP extra expansions, easily. Witcher 3 did it...

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really relative to age, it has to do with saturation of the market. Even the kids that have all the time in the world to play GAAS titles tend to gravitate to the one or two that hold their attention and they stick to it. As an enthusiast you find yourself trying to play all of these, and it just isn't possible. You just need to pick the one or two you enjoy and just stick with it until it isn't fun to you anymore.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
I think it just comes down to what kind of gamer you are? I'm not a completionist. I play for fun. If said game I'm playing has an event I need to play this weekend for to get some random inconsequential item, I'm not gonna care if I miss it. I haven't found a game where i feel some sort of obligation to play it against my will.
Yeah I kind of feel like people freak out about FOMO without just taking a breath and thinking "it's just a game. Who cares if I miss item xyz" and if it's really important to them, they'll make time.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
Playing CoD right now and enjoying it but have a good feeling when the battle pass comes out, I'll be burned out and don't want to do what they ask me to do

Good point on the battle pass, I think it's in large part contributing to my sense of burnout with Destiny 2. It comes as part of the most recent expansion, and I realize I don't have to level it, but I feel like I'm "wasting money" if I don't.

Path of Exile doesn't have a battle pass but is a live service game and I don't really mind the "GaaS" aspects of it. I'm perfectly happy skipping a few seasons and then jumping in if I feel like it. If I skip a season I don't really feel like I missed anything (or if I drop out mid season due to lack of time).

With Destiny 2 and the battle pass, once I've paid in I feel guilty for not playing. And skipping a season adds to a long list of stuff that I'll now need to grind for if I want...

In my case I guess it's less about being a "Game as a Service" and more about games that try to REALLY hard to incentivize you to log in every day with battle passes/etc.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
These are always hilarious to me. What kind of narcissistic shit are you on to think companies should cater to you? Oh yeah, you're the only one spending money on games. We get it, You HaVE a LiFE
Wow hot take, what has your life been or the moment you decided to post this. Devs pay attention to fans all the time.

Op: Agreed. I have limited time for living games but 1 or 2. I would like to see more less gun focused.

JohnnyEnglish

Apr 15, 2018
They're not catering just to you, but to everybody. Not all of in our 30s work a 9-5. Some of us live more flexible lives.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Good point on the battle pass, I think it's in large part contributing to my sense of burnout with Destiny 2. It comes as part of the most recent expansion, and I realize I don't have to level it, but I feel like I'm "wasting money" if I don't.

Path of Exile doesn't have a battle pass but is a live service game and I don't really mind the "GaaS" aspects of it. I'm perfectly happy skipping a few seasons and then jumping in if I feel like it. If I skip a season I don't really feel like I missed anything (or if I drop out mid season due to lack of time).

With Destiny 2 and the battle pass, once I've paid in I feel guilty for not playing. And skipping a season adds to a long list of stuff that I'll now need to grind for if I want...

In my case I guess it's less about being a "Game as a Service" and more about games that try to REALLY hard to incentivize you to log in every day with battle passes/etc.

I'd rather you buy the battle pass and have it infinitely. That way I can access it whenever I want to play...

Oxyrain

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if all the publishers had to draw straws about who could release the only living game on the market for 2019-2020 and it ended up being Anthem.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I mean OP has a point, there have been a slew of GaaS bombing since last year when publishers tried to get their piece of the pie too fast without really putting in the effort.

If you want to get in on the action now you better make sure your game does something completely new because people are already playing the old ones, and getting their attention and time isn't as easy as it was in 2014-2017.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't play 'Live' games anymore since I can't play other game if I do. I just bought the Destiny with the latest expansion (again) and it's been left untouched after a few hours. I just have to remind myself that I like games with proper story and kinda narrow in the genre that I like.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this types of games are great and they provide unique experiences however they have huge drawbacks. And developers are sort of oversaturating the market with this type of game.

My main problems with these games:

-They can crowd the user's base time( You cant play ESO, Warframe, Destiny and Black Dessert all of the sane time, because your progress on each game is going to be to slow to keep up with the games)

-They can get pretty daunting and scary for new players(Warframe has so much shit that new players get spooked when they see a glimpse of the content and it's still growing.)

-The monetization is unsustainable for the user's to get into multiple games

-There are other possibly other drawbacks to this type of games but those are my main gripes.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
One person is not supposed to play every service game. The idea is that the gaming market is huge, and there's a game out there for everyone.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
What? Are you going to tell me games are targeting children and teens from 9-16? Dude....games are different now....the target demographic has totally changed...and if you tell me anything different I'll tell you you're a liar and point to a small minority of games that kinda but not really make my point.

oh. it's a shitthread.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
i guess that's what I am against. If i miss out, i miss out. I feel like at that age, you shouldn't feel "compelled" to play anything because of "cool rewards". Try to just play for the enjoyment of the game, and you get what you get when you get it.
Well I think that's the point, and what OP is saying: It's not about us personally missing out, but if every game wants to do these, I WILL have to miss out, and ultimately, developers don't want too many people to "miss out" since that lowers engagement, and reduces the pool of people who will buy DLC, microtransactions, etc. Even with just two of these games, I personally feel that I have to pick just one to keep up. That's fine for me, but if every dev out there is fighting for my time with all of these crazy GAAS schemes, none of them but one will get it.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
oh. it's a shitthread.
Haha, I didn't catch on until this post.

No, sorry. You are the one who is wrong. I don't know how you could have so drastically misinterpreted my OP to thinking it was anything other than telling developers to cater specifically to my current living situation.

OP doesn't seem to care about the conversation in the thread and is barreling ahead with their performance art anyway though.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Rocket League was something I was playing nightly and even that started to require a level of commitment I could never match. I'm sad I had to let it go, but I did.

I'm right there with you OP. Boomers unite...

OP
OP
sn00zer

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Haha, I didn't catch on until this post.

OP doesn't seem to care about the conversation in the thread and is barreling ahead with their performance art anyway though.
No, its just that a bunch of people are getting caught on semantics and missing the point. As others have said which is that when you make a bunch of GaaS games you cant get people who are already playing GaaS games on board another easily. This is due both the general life time commitments as well as other GaaS games. I dont know why this needed to be spelled out so literally so there you go.

Last edited:

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand this post at all.... just go play something that suits you? There are plenty of these in the market.
I just turned 40 and have 3 kids and a 9-6 job tell me about it lol.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I have this problem but with single player games, I only have enough time to play a couple of multiplayer games at a time. Since online games have the largest base up front I will pay full price on day one, then wait for single player games to hit the bargain bin for a couple of bucks. Then at least I know its all patched up, and since its not a living game it will be the same in 2, 3, 5 years so no rush to play them.

Except with single player games, they have less issues and problems to deal with and all the content is usually there day one while live service games may release with a lack of content and then they start drip feeding content post launch to fix the game.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
Hmm I don't get the point of making this declaration. Do devs make business decisions based off Era posts? Era doesn't even line up with the mainstream market. Following preferences from here would loose you money. So is this is about telling the forum again how much an individual doesn't like the trend of Gaas? Ok continue to yell at clouds then. Op this thread was not well thought out.

Idk..Era loves GoW, MHW and Spiderman and those games have sold very well.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
No, its just that a bunch of people are getting caught on semantics and missing the point. As others have said which is that when you make a bunch of GaaS games you cant get people who are already playing GaaS games on board another easily due to time commitments. I dont know why this needed to be spelled out so literally so there you go.
I suppose sarcasm doesn't translate too well in text form because that's what those posts read like. What the intent behind that sarcasm was was unclear.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think OP hit the nail on the head for a large portion of gamers. It's funny because I mentioned the same reason for not being able to enjoy GaaS games. The investment in time in untenable, and the pressure to keep up because of the nature of GaaS pumping in new gameplay means you will get left behind, so why even begin and play on community terms rather then your own? With SP and MPs you dictate the pace of your enjoyment, that's snatched from you with GaaS. So unless you have all the time available, most of us with commitments (and fans of gaming) filter all GaaS games unless they're extra special. SoT is an interesting one for me thanks to the removal of skill gates, even then the base expectation for grinding is still so overwhelming that I conclude my time would be better spent on a game in my backlog, rather then the grind of GaaS.

For that reason all GaaS is pretty much a no go zone for me. Division, Destiny, Apex, PuBG, Fortnite, there's so much there or incoming that it's just not worth playing. The finish line will continue to move further and further away from me.

Last edited:

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
Except with single player games, they have less issues and problems to deal with and all the content is usually there day one while live service games may release with a lack of content and then they start drip feeding content post launch to fix the game.

Yes and all the content will still be there on day 700 as well. Why pay full price for something that never changes other than bug fixes? I just picked up god of war for 15dollars.
Also I have never experienced a lack of content in GAAS style games, but I don`t play more than a hour or 2 a day.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
Yes and all the content will still be there on day 700 as well. Why pay full price for something that never changes other than bug fixes? I just picked up god of war for 15dollars.
Also I have never experienced a lack of content in GAAS style games, but I don`t play more than a hour or 2 a day.

Ehh...GaaS games also drop in price too. Sometimes even quicker than single player games. And I don't have a problem paying $60 for a game if its something I'm hyped for

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
Ehh...GaaS games also drop in price too. Sometimes even quicker than single player games. And I don't have a problem paying $60 for a game if its something I'm hyped for
Fair enough, its just multiplayer games have the mass of players at the beginning so its worth jumping in for myself. While I can wait on single games because as people have said "Whats the rush? you can play it on your schedule"

Also I thought the whole point of the video game industry was a type of game for every taste. Why are people mad that they cant play every game, or that every game is not for them. There are a lot of games I dislike but I would never wish they didn`t exist because I know other people love them.