• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Similar tech, but using a different kind of actuator that is more flexible in the frequencies it can reproduce and can deliver more powerful feedback that the LRAs within the JoyCons.
Would you happen to know if nintendo uses the Alps Haptic Reactor? A lot of articles were saying this, but I haven't found any definitive confirmation. Even the teardowns didn't confirm this for sure.

HAPTIC™ Reactor | Products Search | Products & Technologies | Alps Alpine

Our aim is to transform into a sustainable value-creating corporate group that carries on contributing to people's lives through electronics and communication, with a focus on three business segments – Component, Sensor and Communication, and Module and System.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
1st party devs gonna use this for all it's capabilities.
3rd party probably won't bother.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Hm ok, sounds cool, now we'll just to wait and see how devs will actually use it.
HD Rumble has been pretty bad with some 3rd party devs on Switch, in other games it's great.
It will probably still be mostly SOny FIrst party that will take advantage of it the most.

At worst they'll just use it as regular rumble. Provided Sony's SDK is comprehensive, should allow for easier implementation of more flexible stuff, like sharp clicks and thuds when activating buttons, etc.

Oct 29, 2017
Having said that, the Xbox controller has always had more rumble functionality than the DualShock (due to it's Impulse triggers) so, at worst, it's still pretty good. Absolutely not as advanced as the DualSense in terms of feedback, still more advanced than the DualShock was. I guess the hope would be that if devs start playing around with some kind of trigger feeback on the DualSense they can warrant using the Xbox's Impulse Triggers a bit more too, as they were woefully underused this gen.

It's underused because of people like me who don't like any haptic feedback and/or rumble and turn it off at the system level. :) As long as the platforms continue to allow turning it off entirely, which I don't see changing, it's never going to be crucial to a game experience, just a potentially neat extra. I don't know though, maybe I'll have to eat some crow when the PS5 doesn't allow you to turn off rumble.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
The DualSense trigger jamming when the weapon jams in Deathloop is pretty genius.

And one of the cleanest examples of what makes the DS Adaptive Triggers different.

this is a very cool idea.

but I'm pretty sure we will see a bunch of Dualsense triggers broken because of that 😂

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
Depends on how hard it is to implement i would imagine. Seems like something cool that adds to the immersion for any game so if it isn't something that requires a lot of hard work to do then why wouldn't third party take advantage?

May 7, 2020
Because vibration has been around since before the PS4 launch. It didn't do anything for me on PS2, PS3, 360 etc.

It's not the same. Playing ghost the vibration hints to secret areas. The horse feedback is incredible.
Literally majority of games has some kinda of vibration feedback. So yeah you have no knowlodge on the matter

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

It all depends on how easy it is to implement. Tons of 3rd parties (myself included) delved into HD Rumble stuff on Switch because it's easy. Developers are actually usually excited to implement fun new features like this, so long as it's easy to put in!

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This is getting me more hyped than anything they've shown so far, this is the secret sauce, not the SSD, sounds amazing!

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The effects in Spiderman sound very interesting, especially the directionality of the force. Being able to sense from which side the danger comes could be a gamechanger. No more looking at the screen to see the HUD warning signs or relying on Atreus to start yelling.
Boom.

Now going with a no hud experience could be had and not feel like a handicap.

It needs to get used alot. Praying it does. Going with no hud is about as immersive as it can get.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Would you happen to know if nintendo uses the Alps Haptic Reactor? A lot of articles were saying this, but I haven't found any definitive confirmation. Even the teardowns didn't confirm this for sure.

HAPTIC™ Reactor | Products Search | Products & Technologies | Alps Alpine

Our aim is to transform into a sustainable value-creating corporate group that carries on contributing to people's lives through electronics and communication, with a focus on three business segments – Component, Sensor and Communication, and Module and System.

Nope, as far as I know it was never confirmed anywhere, but it is remarkably similar to the Reactor (as in, that would net you a nice lawsuit if it isn't licensed). I'd be surprised if it isn't.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
meh. It'll need to be disabled. Literal resistance would make the controller truly unusable for a portion of disabled gamers.
You're talking about the trigger resistance, that probably can be adjusted or simply turned off. You probably can turn off everything too. The controller is made to allow better immersion, but for sure there will be other stuff in the games to give gameplay feedback, like sound. The haptic is actually something great for disabled gamers in general, for example deaf and blind ones.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Finally, this is what I wanted to hear about, I was so tired of the bow example, it was starting to feel like there was going to be forced in bows in everything.

This sounds awesome, I really hope it gets supported past launch games so it just becomes a thing on all platforms.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds cool. I'm always excited for new things so hopefully developers continue to utilize these features in the dualsense. Along with all the Dualshock 4 features, the new enhancements must make the dualsense one of the most advanced controllers ever.

Still want to learn more about that new create button though. Show us the goods Sony!

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure. Developers do naturally like to try out interesting stuff. They're creative people if they see an opportunity to do something neat I imagine they'd go for it. Hopefully Sony went out of their way to make it easy to work with to encourage this.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Some of this sounds cool, but good lord does some of it ever sound like a bunch of PR tripe.

Enhanced FFB in racing games is great, and I can see how Haptic feedback could be huge for a game like GT in all the ways described. The examples from ratchet also sound useful, using this sort of variable resistance in the triggers is smart.

But maaaaaan, when they start talking about this being an "immersive sensory experience"...

What does it feel like to use Miles's stealth ability? How does a Venom Blast feel?
I bet it feels like my hands being buzzed slightly.

We can also turn the simple act of pulling a lever to open a gate into a sensory experience. This is something that rumble could never do.
Again, going to guess this is going to feel a lot like my hands getting buzzed slightly.

Should be fun to find out exactly how well all of this is implemented. Haptics are neat, but I've never seen them used for much beyond neat. I'd certainly never make the claim they were integral, as is the case here.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
this is a very cool idea.

but I'm pretty sure we will see a bunch of Dualsense triggers broken because of that 😂
I'm about as sure that it's been stress-tested to the extreme as I am that there will be tutorials in the games that introduce you to the way that the features have been integrated into the gameplay mechanics, so you don't get the wrong idea and break it.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Has anyone said whether we can use the DualSense to play BC PS4 games. Obviously without the haptic feedback. I know we can't use PS4 controllers for PS5 games but any word on the other way around?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Finally, this is what I wanted to hear about, I was so tired of the bow example, it was starting to feel like there was going to be forced in bows in everything.

This sounds awesome, I really hope it gets supported past launch games so it just becomes a thing on all platforms.

But can you imagine Horizon Forbidden West with this tech. Those bows are gonna feel awesome (I hope).

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Seeing how Sony is going all-in on the DualSense features and 3D audio (both things that I'm extremely exited for), is it possible that Sony has some sort of agreement with 3rd party developers to implement said features?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because vibration has been around since before the PS4 launch. It didn't do anything for me on PS2, PS3, 360 etc.
that's terrible. You're missing out on A LOT on immersion with that off.

I can't believe you think disabling a feature that makes you FEEL is bad idea. imo a gamer should always like it if a game reaches into another of one of the five senses.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really keen on seeing this implemented with horror games and games like DMC in particular. I hope RE8 has some implementation, although I doubt it.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Sounds really interesting. I can see some devs doing obnoxious things with the triggers and ruining some games instead of improving them but as long as it can be easily turned off in those cases it won't be a problem.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
This actually sounds insane. Rumble has always been whatever to me, at times annoying and pointless, and is something people mod to have removed from controllers. This however seems to be a true meaningful addition to the game play experience. Blocking triggers when your gun is jammed? Like what? Creating trigger pressure sensitivity for hitting the breaks on a car. Feeling the impact and weight of blocking a heavy boss attack. These sound insanely cool as features that could add another dimension to the experience that we may be underestimating.

...or it could end up being something that underwhelms and most people feel they could do without. But I have my doubts. I'm also concerned about how this affects the physical durability and lifespan of the controller. Something like a controller is so small and potentially fragile enough with all the stress it takes before you even include additional force and pressure from haptics, so I'm curious to see how this affects durability in the long term.

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to try it out. A lot of dismissive tones in this thread without even experiencing it. Try being a little more open and optimistic, it's good for your health.
If you're a gamer who has owned Nintendo systems then you understand how devs are resistant to these sorts of things. Has nothing to do with not being "optimistic" and has everything to do with being realistic because there's a long history of innovations not catching on

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
This will 100% be actually useful in Gran Turismo and nothing else, just like regular rumble now. Works for me.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I hope this is something systemwide we can turn off. Rumble always takes me out of games and I don't want to have even more of it.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rumble is one of the best additions regarding feedback in video games. Games feel weird when the controller doesn't vibrate.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you're a gamer who has owned Nintendo systems then you understand how devs are resistant to these sorts of things. Has nothing to do with not being "optimistic" and has everything to do with being realistic because there's a long history of innovations not catching on
I'm a gamer, I've owned numerous Nintendo systems. That's not the way life works...or should work, because something hasn't been utilised before means we shouldn't try again..

It's pretty clear, nobody has played this. Yet are keen to downplay it before it's even out the gate. If it doesn't catch on then it doesn't catch on, but to try to piss on people's chips because some are enthused by something, I don't understand that mentality. I'm not talking about developers supporting it long term, nobody can know for sure about that I'm on about the whole "same shit we've seen before" etc
What even is that?

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I am kind of torn on weapon jamming but the rest sounds very cool. Can't wait to try it myself.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
As you pull the trigger, you'll fire from one barrel, and you can feel resistance around halfway down the trigger. Need a bigger blast? Pull the trigger through that resistance point and you'll fire both barrels at the same time.
Found this to be particularly interesting as it's just not relaying a sensation through feedback but actually giving you information that distinguishes between two separate gameplay inputs...

Would love to see shooters with different firing modes (single/burst/auto) make use of this as an option, imagine Call of Duty Warzone where instead of having to tap left on the d-pad to switch between single and auto fire on the M4 assault rifle you can now just do quick shallow presses for single fire and then pull the trigger all the way past the resistance point for full auto fire.

Would not only make switching between those firing modes faster and more streamlined but also free up a button on the controller for other uses.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Games feel weird when my controller is violently vibrating.

It'll depend on how crazy the vibration is, I guess. But this sounds amazing and games almost feel weightless if my controller isn't shaking somewhat lol. The only time I've ever turned it off was in a couple PvP shooters, but in campaign gimme all the rumbles.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I legitimately think the Dual Sense is just as exciting for me as the SSD and improved CPU/GPU power. I hope developers will fully support it in at least most games.