• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Weapon jam is never fun, but locking the trigger as a physical representation of that sounds cool as fuck.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because its not been really explained or shown off how its different..... if you keep getting people saying " Oh like Xbox has " then you haven't communicated it very well.

I think Sony has been pretty clear what it is and how it's different from other controllers.

The problem is nobody has gotten the chance to use the controller. If it wasn't for Covid that wouldn't be the case. Sony would have been at events like Comic Con this past July and had the controller there for everyone to use.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
That's the first step, but the fact that they're already taking it is a good sign. The next step is for more widespread adoption of flick stick, which they're at least looking into now.
yeah i see flick stick is good for twitchy shooters, but i think games like TLOU etc prob can go with the motion aim, but hell add it all for all i care lol.
Weapon jam is never fun, but locking the trigger as a physical representation of that sounds cool as fuck.
or weapon overheats, and then trigger is locked until it cools down.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I don't care about it being the standard or not, Sony is clearly moneyhatting everyone on these features which is great. I want a next-gen experience.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
One very cool thing devs can implement with adaptive triggers: hair triggers. Switch an option and now it blocks the triggers after a very short travel, effectively turning the triggers into digital-ish buttons.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Because its not been really explained or shown off how its different..... if you keep getting people saying " Oh like Xbox has " then you haven't communicated it very well.
Well, this is not something that you can show during a video. They were planing to have a lot of events to showcase this, which of course can't be the case anymore. Once you hold one, you'll feel the difference in seconds.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Okay people need to stop confusing stuff.

The whole DualSense has haptic feedback which is the newest in vibration tech (for a controller). On top of that: the triggers are adaptive. Which means devs can ad resistance into them. Examples: pulling a bow string, jamming weapons, swinging a heavy blade feeling more heavy than a light and quick sword, a light pistol needing a smaller squeeze than a heavy shotgun etc.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
The effects in Spiderman sound very interesting, especially the directionality of the force. Being able to sense from which side the danger comes could be a gamechanger. No more looking at the screen to see the HUD warning signs or relying on Atreus to start yelling.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's nice. Still not worth not letting people use their DS4 but I understand the need to gouge people on accessories.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Pc players on mouse and keyboard reacting to these new features

For console gaming of course. These features should still be of interest to PC games if they want to use a DS on PC but not sure if they will be fully utilized?

The initial backlash on this forum was for accessibility concerns. You'd still be able to use your "next-gen leap", but for people who can't use the "resistive triggers" or any other feature of the Dualsense, or people who currently need a third party PS4 controller that accommodates their disabilities better, the announcement that we'd need to "make the leap" was a kick in the gut.

No the initial backlash was because everyone wanted to use their spare DS4 for say co-op and how all these new features weren't gonna be used so why force the Dual Sense?(Look back, "anti-consumer" was being thrown like candy) Then later we got a thread about accessibility concerns which to me had more valid point for disabled gamers.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to try it out. A lot of dismissive tones in this thread without even experiencing it. Try being a little more open and optimistic, it's good for your health.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
No the initial backlash was because everyone wanted to use their spare DS4 for say co-op and how all these new features weren't gonna be used so why force the Dual Sense?(Look back, "anti-consumer" was being thrown like candy) Then later we got a thread about accessibility concerns which to me had more valid point for disabled gamers.
I must've only seen or remember the second thread then. I agree with you on the first thread, I don't think Sony's trying to pull a fast one on consumers and make huge bank on controllers.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
haptic feedback is a general term, but this is not the haptic feedback that sony or nintendo has. their feedback is a voice coil actuator its totally different than spinning rumble. you can literally put wave forms(sound) on this kind of rumble.
Xbox doesn't have this kind of haptic, it has Impulse Triggers. This haptic in made on the whole controller, including triggers.
Sorry, I said wrong. Xbox has haptic on the triggers, not the whole controller, which is the case here.

I hope we have enough whiskey for when all these Scotsmen finally show up.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
'We'll have more to share in the coming weeks. Keep your eyes peeled.'

Coming weeks suggests to me it shouldn't be too long before we hear more.. Fingers crossed we will hear something before the end of August!

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about you but every game I have played, I have used the touchpad. For Map Select, Weapon Swipe, Interactive Object, Team Scorecard, Rubbing Feature, Rotating Feature, Clickable Inventory Management. Even if it's not impressive it is used.
Mean while every games I played it's just a huge extra map button, what's the point of "touch"
Dunno why you're comparing two completely different things. Touchpad was never something to improve gameplay in any sense. This is.
Eh if you think "rumbling" has more potential than actual physical trackpad then ok I guess

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if I was not very clear, I was asking about the haptic feedback feature. Do you know if the Xbox Series X does have something similar?

The new Xbox controller is basically feature comparible with the old one. Other than the share button. It's largely the same controller.

Having said that, the Xbox controller has always had more rumble functionality than the DualShock (due to it's Impulse triggers) so, at worst, it's still pretty good. Absolutely not as advanced as the DualSense in terms of feedback, still more advanced than the DualShock was. I guess the hope would be that if devs start playing around with some kind of trigger feeback on the DualSense they can warrant using the Xbox's Impulse Triggers a bit more too, as they were woefully underused this gen.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
I really wonder what will be the impact on the controller's battery life, even with their new upgraded battery...

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
This is all very cool and I'm dying to try it out.

But I honestly hope there is a system wide way to turn it off because if I'm playing Battlefield 6 for more 3 hours I really don't want to force my fingers every time I pull the trigger.

I'm getting old and I haven't developed carpal tunnel syndrome yet and sure as hell don't want to get it from my dual sense.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Sounds amazing and fingers crossed many developers will make use of these features.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is all very cool and I'm dying to try it out.

But I honestly hope there is a system wide way to turn it off because if I'm playing Battlefield 6 for more 3 hours I really don't want to force my fingers every time I pull the trigger.

I'm getting old and I haven't developed carpal tunnel syndrome yet and sure as hell don't want to get it from my dual sense.

Just like rumble , this should have a toggle in settings. Especially for multiplayer.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I guess the hope would be that if devs start playing around with some kind of trigger feeback on the DualSense they can warrant using the Xbox's Impulse Triggers a bit more too, as they were woefully underused this gen.

But are they the same thing, or even similar? I don't think they are, so I don't think that DualSense's trigger usage will necessarily increase the Xbox controller's.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
The same praise was given to HD Rumble, the TouchPad, Sixaxis and even Kinect 2.

And yet a year after their inception all of them were pretty much forgotten and unused by devs. So I take this all with a massive grain of salt.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
But are they the same thing, or even similar? I don't think they are, so I don't think that DualSense's trigger usage will necessarily increase the Xbox controller's.

They're not the same thing at all, no. But you can see an easy correlation with 'we've put some trigger feedback in the DualSense for when you reload etc' to 'also use the Impulse Trigger for trigger feedback'.

The Impulse triggers seem very much like a simple, binary thing and shouldn't require a great deal of imagination to make them spin up when reloading or when your tires slip etc. But this generation they were just largely ignored. The same things that would give basic feedback on a PS4 controller gave the same basic feedback on an Xbox controller in a lot of third party games. The rumble triggers didn't even activate.

I'm not saying that I think devs will be creating similar feedback on both controllers all of a sudden. They can't, the tech is different. But knowing that both controllers can give some feedback this generation may mean that they both get used more rather than the one that has this unique feature getting mostly forgotten.

Last edited:

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
The xbox controller uses the old rotating mass system, both on the trigger and in the controller. All it can do is shake the mass on and off. It's the oldest rumble system.

The nintendo system is much better with dual resonant frequencies so it can do a range of about 300Hz to 800Hz, but it's a very small mass so a very small force.

The DS5 seems to use a voice coil moving mass, so in theory it can do a wider range of frequencies and a more significant amount of force than the nintendo system. We have no point of reference for this.

The adaptative trigger can vary the resistance of the spring. There's also nothing similar anywhere to compare.

Last edited:

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
This sounds really similar to the rumble in the joycons. Interested to see how it compares. The joycon rumble got a lot of hype initially, and there are some games that make great use of it, but in most games (imo) it's pretty standard. I'd guess the same will be true for the PS5 rumble but we shall see how it plays out.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
We should really, really stop talking about the Switch LRA-based HD Rumble as "haptics". It just confuses the matter. The whole field of touch-based feedback is haptics.

DS5 will have VCA based rumble. It's kinda like the JoyCons, but better, stronger. It won't have rumble motors because it won't need them, VCAs can do everything ERMs can do but better.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Just like rumble , this should have a toggle in settings. Especially for multiplayer.

Hopefully! I worry about this because after playing FFXIV for hours during the quarantine I had some nasty cramps on my index fingers from holding the trigger for extended periods of time.

I actually had to stop playing for more than a week to get it to pass. Never had this issue before and I'm not a stranger to gaming marathons

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Cannot freaking wait! This should become as standard as rumble is for controllers today. Next gen PS5 games are going to be lit!

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
One very cool thing devs can implement with adaptive triggers: hair triggers. Switch an option and now it blocks the triggers after a very short travel, effectively turning the triggers into digital-ish buttons.
I think a dev talked about it already (not in this article). I think it was about a FPS.
Coming weeks suggests to me it shouldn't be too long before we hear more.. Fingers crossed we will hear something before the end of August!
Saddly, end of August is the coming week. Coming weeks, for me, is at least 2 weeks. So nothing before the 4th September.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
People say its great on Switch, but it didn't feel all that good to me so I turned it off to increase battery life. I foresee the same thing happening with DualSense. Rumble and haptics have never done much for me. The 3D audio is the more interesting addition that I can't wait to check out.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Rumble motors are a form of haptic feedback. Any kind of feedback that you feel through touch is haptic feedback. Rumble motors, LRAs, VCAs, force feedback, all of this is haptic feedback.

Impulse triggers have rumble motors on the triggers, adaptive triggers can dynamically change tension and resistance, more akin to force feedback than rumble.

DS5 also has VCAs - voice coil actuators - instead of ERMs - eccentric rotating mass, the old rumble motors - for full controller haptics. VCAs are related but different tech to the LRAs you find in the JoyCons (and phones, like the Taptic Engine in the iPhones). They deliver the same kind of fine-grained vibration with a lot of dev control, but can be much larger and deliver considerably more powerful rumble.
Physical illustration of the above post, shamelessly stollen.

Xbox One/ Series X Rumble/triggers ERM motor same as those used since the first DualShock came out in 1997.
GENUINE-ORIGONAL-Replacement-Part-Xbox-One-Controller-Rumble.jpg
JMf3KbcUuN11wBUU.large

DualSense Adaptive trigger
GupIm6M.png

Nintendo Switch LRA

QUwSFAW.gif

DualSense : Example of a Voice Coil Actuator

FKHG7wz.gif

While they all fall under the same haptics feedback category, they are not all the same. Especially the Xbox One controllers which still use ERM motors.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't blame people for being confused, as we've not really seen anything like these triggers before (in a home console). Adaptive/resistive triggers are a pretty big departure!

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
but haptics is in addition to rumble, right ?
no. its all the same.
I was under the impression that it was all haptics, like the Switch Pro Controller?

think I wasn't clear enough, when I say "rumble" = vibration motors in the controller's grips. "haptics" is just because it offers more granularity and details than the simple vibrations we have today. But the Dualsense doesn't only have those in the grips, it also have it in the triggers (and buttons as well ?), which is why I said "in addition" ;) So if they add more motors, the power drain is bigger as well. Hence my question about knowing what will be the battery life with all these motors in action.