• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
The fact that Apex isn't cross play is wild to me. Our group is mostly playing on PC but whenever we're only two available and want to find a third player amongst our friends it's always "sorry I'm playing on PS4/XBO".

So yeah fuck Sony for being incredibly backward and out of touch with this. They're ruining the healthiness of multiplayer games under the guise of children protection my ass.
At least you can Play Apex with the xbox dude.

Oct 26, 2017
i don't think there's any confusion. unless their game is super big, they're not getting cross play. which is just ridiculous cuz smaller games benefit the most from cross play, as they get to pool their userbase together to give their online modes more longevity.
The confusion comes from Sony just not telling devs a clear yes or no. Instead using that vague Beta program with no clear rules on how to get accepted (in reality we all know you're right. The big fish get better treatment, the question is, when do you become a bigger fish)

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
lol devs now suddendly worry about "families who can't play together"

Do you know what's actually stopping families from playing together? the absolute lack of local multiplayer in every game created in the past 10 years. And that's not Sony's fault, that's yours.

Mind you I'm not defending the lack of crossplay which is also ridiculous

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All these families who just want a crossplay easy mode are pathetic.

I say respect the manufacturers vision and let them do it the way they want.

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
Your choice of word there with "resolved" is an interesting one.

Personally, I think it's the wrong one going on recent articles and let's say a "miscommunication" or how it's a program in a 'beta' stage.

No no, it wasn't resolved. What happened was an exception.

An exception was made due the to the sheer amount of public pressure and negative press Sony was rightly getting.

For disclosure, I was extremely vocal (at least on this board) about it, as the account lock affected me personally.
Are you pretending to mistake this for the point of my post? It wasn't the point. I've replied to a specific baseless complaint, that seemed to be a general sentiment on Era: Sony doesn't allow crossplay. It does. With PC and mobile. Everything else in my post was only an acknowledgement of ongoing development in crossplay between consoles situation. Way to read half of a part of a post.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Assuming that is true that Sony doesn't have an issue with PC and mobile, then the example given in the OP is bad and that PS4/iPad/iPhone family can cross-play in peace.

toksdragon

Oct 30, 2017
Sony Owes no one crossplay. We all know the only crossplay that matters is PS4 and XBOX.Switch doesn't count. Sony doesn't want to crossplay with Xbox because their sales data probably shows that people are buying the ps4 to play with their ps4 friends. The more people buy the PlayStation the healthier the ecosystem. Full crossplay with Xbox is never happening...nextgen is a different story.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm sure they'll jump on board but they're definitely a little behind with their policy.

I won't take away all the good stuff they've but this is something I wish all companies would get on board with.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Assuming that is true that Sony doesn't have an issue with PC and mobile, then the example given in the OP is bad and that PS4/iPad/iPhone family can cross-play in peace.
except for, you know, the fact that games that are not shovelware and fit into that :family: can be counted in 1 hand.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I do believe this will change in the next few years and start to become far more normal.

It's possible Sony may use it as a big bit of positive PR leading into the PS5, whereas with the PS4 there's no real need right now other than goodwill.

I look forward to our cross-play future.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree it'll be the norm soon. If one of them decides not to next gen they take a big risk losing to their competitors who do allow it.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
"Dad's going to play on the iPad, one kid is on the PS4, another kid is on his phone"

Isn't this a bad example since Sony doesn't block cross play unless it's with the rival consoles?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
except for, you know, the fact that games that are not shovelware and fit into that :family: can be counted in 1 hand.

If we're talking non F2P multiplatform games, I doubt many families actually own all three consoles, four copies of a single game and three simultaneous recurring online subscriptions either lol. PS4, PC, mobile crossplay is probably going to be the most feasible option.

That said, crossplay is obviously a good thing, and it's good to see Sony slowly make some leeway in that area.

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
lol devs now suddendly worry about "families who can't play together"

Do you know what's actually stopping families from playing together? the absolute lack of local multiplayer in every game created in the past 10 years. And that's not Sony's fault, that's yours.
I agree with this!
And i am against crossplay. I dont understand the urgency this gen for it . This is a business so i can understand why the leader is saying no.

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
Sony Owes no one crossplay. We all know the only crossplay that matters is PS4 and XBOX.Switch doesn't count. Sony doesn't want to crossplay with Xbox because their sales data probably shows that people are buying the ps4 to play with their ps4 friends. The more people buy the PlayStation the healthier the ecosystem. Full crossplay with Xbox is never happening...nextgen is a different story.
THIS!!!!

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
This too. The ride from last gen to this gen has been hilarious. I literal roller coaster.

Last gen: no one really cares about crossplay, Sony was very much at the forefront with it. MS against it.

This gen: MS decides they care now, does it better, now its fuck Sony...

Absolutely hilarious.

Except this generation the technology is in place where crossplay can be implemented with very minimal development ("flick of a switch") so the hurdle now is policy bullshit instead of a real hurdle.

I agree with this!
And i am against crossplay. I dont understand the urgency this gen for it . This is a business so i can understand why the leader is saying no.

But you are a consumer, why do you care about Sony's business model vs receiving more options? Do you think crossplay is suddenly going to pull them from their market leader position and that devs wills top making ps4 games?

Corporate cheerleading is so weird

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I do believe this will change in the next few years and start to become far more normal.

It's possible Sony may use it as a big bit of positive PR leading into the PS5, whereas with the PS4 there's no real need right now other than goodwill.

I look forward to our cross-play future.

I still stand by the fact that announcing you're finally catching up with what every other system has already been doing won't give that much positive PR. It's not like it's gonna be some huge announcement. When they finally added it to Fortnite they just tweeted it out.

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
All this mess, imo, started not because people wanted to play with PS4-Xbox. Nobody ever cared about it. This whole thing began with people wanting to keep cosmetic items bought in PS4 version of Fortnight, when playing Switch version on the go. Like 95% of people was meaning cross progression, when they were talking crossplay. Microsoft just saw an opportunity to jump on this train and shifted conversation a bit. It was insane to watch.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I'm always commenting on the content of the OP and not on the general problem of cross-play. That's how discussions should be made. I just think that the example used in the OP is bad. The topic of cross-play between consoles is very important nevertheless.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Entitled gamers are even weirder, good job with the game calling...lol real mature
I was talking about the general topic of giving a shit about corporate policy vs consumer options.

I have 2 PS4's and I have the same emotional attachment to them as I do my toaster. They currently have the best console gaming experience for me but I will drop them in a heartbeat next gen if better options are there

Oct 26, 2017
I still stand by the fact that announcing you're finally catching up with what every other system has already been doing won't give that much positive PR. It's not like it's gonna be some huge announcement. When they finally added it to Fortnite they just tweeted it out.
Yeah, selling crossplay support as a feature would be kind of pathetic. Especially when time and time again devs demonstrated that it is solely a policy issue, not a technical problem.

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I was talking about the general topic of giving a shit about corporate policy vs consumer options.

I have 2 PS4's and I have the same emotional attachment to them as I do my toaster. They currently have the best console gaming experience for me but I will drop them in a heartbeat next gen if better options are there
that's the whole point i think. If you love sony games, there is not anything out there that can compete.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I support the idea of crossplay but the "families don't own..." argument is stupid. Most households won't have multiple online subscriptions that are required for the consoles to play together either.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yet another dev spot on. No logical reason for disagreeing.

Also jfc at Equanimity trying to make another thread about him again.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They keep shooting themselves in the foot before next gen, bravo.

But seriously they won't do it because next gen they will lose that "can only play with your friends on PS5" and they have zero multiplayer games that are better than third party titles.

Business wise they can't do it.

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
you're against it cuz the "leader" is saying no?
No. It's a business, so I can understand why the leader is saying no.
I'm against cross play because up until Microsoft said " we are good with it this time around, it's the otherguys being stubborn" nobody was in an uproar.

It would be nice, I guess, but should not be expected, nor demanded.
I didnt buy my xbox to play with ps friends, and vice versa.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So he's talking mobile/PC crossplay? Sony never seemed to have an issue with those, just crossplay with other consoles... so that "4 PS4s" line doesn't make a lot of sense tbh.

Good to hear that Sony are being pressured on the issue at least. Hopefully more devs will keep publicly hammering them about it.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm against cross play because up until Microsoft said " we are good with it this time around, it's the otherguys being stubborn" nobody was in an uproar.
that doesn't explain why you, a gamer, are against it. it's something devs want, people want it too, why not support those who want it? it won't affect you in any negative way.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
No. It's a business, so I can understand why the leader is saying no.

I didnt buy my xbox to play with ps friends, and vice versa.

Expect to get a bunch of strawman arguments thrown at you to try to discredit you. It's either pure vitriol or you get attacked in this thread. People seem to be under the assumption that flinging shit at each other is the best way to get what they want. There will be no civil discussion here no matter how much you try.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there's 0 reasons why it shouldn't be expected or demanded. their direct competitors are allowing it freely for any game that wants it. it should be demanded and expected from sony too. no one should make up excuses for sony, or give a shit how it will affect their business (hint: it won't affect it AT ALL) other than sony themselves.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
C'mon guys, stop asking for this. Why would you even want to play with friends on another platform? If they're really important to you, why don't you buy the platform they're on, or ask them to buy yours?

If you keep up this entitled attitude, we're risking the important things (my favorite corporation's bottom line) for some trivial benefit (like expanded options as a gamer and consumer). Be careful what you wish for.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Then.. why not allow it for the Switch? For families, the impact would be the biggest when allowing Switch crossplay.

It's still insane to me that when three friends buy the same game with multiplayer, one friend who plays on PC can play with either one of his friends. While the other two can only play with the one playing on PC. When the other one is not playing. How does that make sense..

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
C'mon guys, stop asking for this. Why would you even want to play with friends on another platform? If they're really important to you, why don't you buy the platform they're on, or ask them to buy yours?

If you keep up this entitled attitude, we're risking the important things (my favorite corporation's bottom line) for some trivial benefit (like expanded options as a gamer and consumer). Be careful what you wish for.
lol, i guess this is pretty much some people's argument. sad how gamers have these concerns.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Ever since they banned the sony corporate this thread is going downhill, no one can argue as much without saying anything as good ol' eq.