• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
100% correct, it sucks that Sony is pandering to the type of gamers that will never have families.
MfBvvxi.gif

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
This is just part of the usual boom/bust cycle of the console market. You see it all the time. The market leader gets arrogant and starts to make bad moves which their competition capitalise on, they then become the market leaders and start acting like dickheads and the cycle starts again. Whoever did the sonic cycle should make a new meme to cover this.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I really feel for these people. It must be miserable to have to tell your 8 year old son(s) that they can't play together because the 8 year old has an IPhone XR which isn't compatible with all of his dad's multiplayer games on PS4 Pro. Not to mention the poor bastard can't play with his 10 year old brother who has Xbox One X while also using a PS4 Pro because Sony hates fun.

Sony, reverse your policies regarding cross play or feel the true wrath of gamers and watch as we all leave you to become mobile/PC/Xbox/Switch owners over this heretical blockade of gamer progress.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Always the same people defending Sony every thread.
And its always the same ppl arguing in bad faith, being disingenuous.

And the cycle will continue......

This is just part of the usual boom/bust cycle of the console market. You see it all the time. The market leader gets arrogant and starts to make bad moves which their competition capitalise on, they then become the market leaders and start acting like dickheads and the cycle starts again. Whoever did the sonic cycle should make a new meme to cover this.

This too. The ride from last gen to this gen has been hilarious. I literal roller coaster.

Last gen: no one really cares about crossplay, Sony was very much at the forefront with it. MS against it.

This gen: MS decides they care now, does it better, now its fuck Sony...

Absolutely hilarious.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to see a study on how relevant this really is. I see people defending this and then see people completely against it; neither having anything to back it up. I believe there was a poll that completely dismissed this as anything relevant, but it was small time.

Despite Sony's stand off approach, they were truly the first ones to support cross play.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Other than xbox players and switch players I wouldn't want any kind of crossplay with PC or Mobile players.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This too. The ride from last gen to this gen has been hilarious. I literal roller coaster.

Last gen: no one really cares about crossplay, Sony was very much at the forefront with it. MS against it.

Absolutely hilarious.
you're only as good as your last product, really. no reason why sony who was at the forefront now has to be slacking compared to the competition.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Crossplay enabled should be the default state of every game on every platform. It's 2019, people play on various platforms and there are no technical hurdles to stop them from playing together. Crossplay would be great for gamers, developers, publishers and most platform holders, with the only exception being whichever company is in the lead. The rest of the industry and gamers themselves should rally under the common cause of making crossplay the de facto standard and keep the pressure on until it happens. Once it is established, no company will be able to lock it down ever again.

Oct 28, 2017
I want Crossplay. But I would abandon crossplay in an instant if Sony gave me Warhawk, Socom, Uncharted 2, Resistance, and Killzone 2 remasters. Crossplay can die in a ditch if I'm these online games can come back to life on PS4/PS5

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Absolutely hilarious.

It seems like many people are far more concerned with what's fair treatment of Sony on this topic considering others' history of cross play, rather than realising that that shit shouldn't matter to you as a consumer.

It's what Sony are doing right now that should bother you.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like many people are far more concerned with what's fair treatment of Sony on this topic considering others' history of cross play, rather than realising that that shit shouldn't matter to you as a consumer.

It's what Sony are doing right now that should bother you.
exactly. around half of this thread only makes sense if you assume it's coming from sony shareholders and board members, those posts make zero sense coming from the actual video game audience.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I really shouldn't be surprised when the same users show their entire ass in crossplay threads, get blown out, then go in and repeat the same dumbassery in the next one. But it still is just a head scratcher every time.

Sony need to be quicker about dropping the restrictions on this stuff.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people are advocating for a worse product in hopes that they'll be able to fuck their favorite corporation

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018
As this thread already showed it was kinda brave for you to think that people on this forum will agree about Sony doing anything wrong

Dec 4, 2018
I'm not sure I agree with the following example from the article:

lso, families like to play together. One thing we've seen with games like Vainglory and Fortnite is that a whole family may want to play together, but nobody owns four PlayStations. Dad's going to play on the iPad, one kid is on the PS4, another kid is on his phone. That kind of gameplay is only possible through crossplay.

I'm not quite sure I see the everyday family itching to headshot each other. Now, roommates I can definitely see. :P

I think a great example of cross platform play and families not having multiple game consoles are those Jack Box mini games. I recently played one of them at a party. The game was running on a switch and everyone around jumped in on their cell phones (game permitting.) Had so much fun I went home and purchased the game.

Anyway, my point being is I feel Kim (from the article) would have a stronger argument giving better examples than Fortnite in the context of families not owning 4 PS4s. For one, I'm sure Sony would love to eat into Nintendo's family market and this would make the point stronger.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot less time for gaming nowadays than I had before, but I still dedicate a solid amount to it. Still, as I become older I'll clearly play less. Policies like these are going to be the deciding factor, going on, about what platforms I dedicate money and time to. PS5, for me, is a lock if they have proper cross-play like Xbox One and Switch are doing and has full PS4 backwards compatibility like Xbox One has and the next Xbox is practically guaranteed to have. I'd be able to play with larger playerbases, catch up on older games, play with buddies on different platforms. If Sony keeps leveraging their install base to fuck users over, I won't have a problem skipping PS5 and sticking to platforms where cross-play, cross-progression and backwards compatibility mean a thing. To me it's that simple.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I went from planning to get Borderlands 3 on PS4 to XB1/PC due to this policy.

If Sony doesn't act soon and embrace cross-play I might make a bigger decision next gen and only get a PS5 for the exclusives. how do they not see this will only drive people further away from their ecosystem? all those multi-plat sales, PS+ subs, DLC purchases could be gone because they don't want me playing with a friend on XB1? smh

Last edited:

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Everyone lay off equanimity. His discourse server cannot cross play with your logic servers because his opinion is the best place to play.

I'm sorry I had to. Nothing personal eq. Lmao.

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017
Most households don't even have multiple consoles at all so his point doesn't make much sense. How many households have four different platforms that they all play at the same time?

Just for a bit of stats and this is based for NZ. 79% of households that game, have more than 1 gaming device.

http://www.igea.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Digital-New-Zealand-2018-DNZ18-Full-1.pdf

Edit:

And for Australia, 80% of households that game, have more than 1 gaming device.

http://www.igea.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/DA18-Summary.pdf

I know this doesn't break it down to multiple consoles, but can be used to gauge how cross saves/progression (usually goes hand in hand with play) is becoming quite important.

*also, not really personally directed to yourself, you just seem to be getting quotes a lot.

Last edited:

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Crossplay enabled should be the default state of every game on every platform. It's 2019, people play on various platforms and there are no technical hurdles to stop them from playing together. Crossplay would be great for gamers, developers, publishers and most platform holders, with the only exception being whichever company is in the lead. The rest of the industry and gamers themselves should rally under the common cause of making crossplay the de facto standard and keep the pressure on until it happens. Once it is established, no company will be able to lock it down ever again.
Quoting for truth. Cross play is incredibly convenient, and if you for some reason are against it then you're either a fan boy or you don't have kids, and it really is that simple. It's good for everyone and it should be the standard.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I like how in case of cross-play we have to consider Sonys financial gain before complaining, but in case of publishers making games EGS-exclusive the same argument is being shat on.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Isn't the PS4 generally crossplay with PC and mobile?
Yes, there is a ton of examples.

I like how in case of cross-play we have to consider Sonys financial gain before complaining, but in case of publishers making games EGS-exclusive the same argument is being shat on.
Sony gets 30% of their revenue from games, DLC and IAP sold on PlayStation, like in all the other games. If competitors have crossplay and they don't, it gives some extra value to their competitors but looking at sales seems that this value is basically zero.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
So how about you add couch co-op.
the moment the main goal of games became graphics, that day local co-op /vs died, due to the inability of the machines to be able to render multiple screens at the same time...
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-==
This generation is already locked on, Sony has no benefit but also no harm on keeping their Walled Garden, next gen is when this policies will either prove em right (peer pressure) or shun em out from their competitors.

I like how in case of cross-play we have to consider Sonys financial gain before complaining
from a pure financial perspective from Sony (Or Microsoft or Nintendo, but specially on Sony as "market leader" AKA most consoles sold so far), XPlay have absolutely no value for em.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Well Sony has made their stance pretty clear I think.
The think that not allowing crossplay will make them more money, so they dont.

Capitalism at work baby.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Every multiplatform game should be cross-play if the developer wishes so, no exceptions. Anyone defending Sony here is a fool.

#4ThEpLAYErS

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony gets 30% of their revenue from games, DLC and IAP sold on PlayStation, like in all the other games. If competitors have crossplay and they don't, it gives some extra value to their competitors but looking at sales seems that this value is basically zero.

Sony don't own these games, simply the platform, holding the games audience hostage and making things more difficult then they need to be even after you've paid a sub isn't healthy for developers behind the game.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Well Sony has made their stance pretty clear I think.
The think that not allowing crossplay will make them more money, so they dont.

Capitalism at work baby.
It can also bite em hard back.
The current model both M and S work (envision) their consoles is a "the water cooler". a hot spot/ hub for everyone in a designated space to gather together around it.
but with the dead of local MP yet the increase on MP overal (GaaS, BR, pick your poison). the "1 machine to rule em all" model no longer works cause everyone wants to play but not everyone can at the same time. and current machines there is little gain to own 3-4 PS4/ Xbox in the same house. while its more possible to own 1 of each device diversified (PC, table, smartphone, PS4, Xbox, Switch)

So lets say we roll into next gen. everyone but sony addopted Crossplay, and multiplayer games still on the rise. Sony being the "one console you are LOCKED OUT" from playing with everyone (or defect being "only" with PC/ Mobile and not Xbox or Nintendo) will be a huge minus for most people.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It can also bite em hard back.
The current model both M and S work (envision) their consoles is a "the water cooler". a hot spot/ hub for everyone in a designated space to gather together around it.
but with the dead of local MP yet the increase on MP overal (GaaS, BR, pick your poison). the "1 machine to rule em all" model no longer works cause everyone wants to play but not everyone can at the same time. and current machines there is little gain to own 3-4 PS4/ Xbox in the same house. while its more possible to own 1 of each device diversified (PC, table, smartphone, PS4, Xbox, Switch)

So lets say we roll into next gen. everyone but sony addopted Crossplay, and multiplayer games still on the rise. Sony being the "one console you are LOCKED OUT" from playing with everyone (or defect being "only" with PC/ Mobile and not Xbox or Nintendo) will be a huge minus for most people.
Im sure they are aware of all of this. They just think its worth it for now. Its a matter of time before they allow it.

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
Even as a PlayStation fan, I can't defend lack of cross play at this point, won't go well if the PS5 announcement keeps the current, 'selective' crossbuy policy. My friends don't all have PS4 it would be nice to have more games to play with, though to be honest it's mostly PC i want to play with and devs just don't support that too often. Part of me does fear MS leveraging this to take the lead, then dropping the policy as soon as they can.
Is there any barriers created by Sony for developers to include PC-PS4 crossplay right now? Not that I'm aware of. Not every game supports it cuz not every developer want it, or makes it a priority. Sony, as far as I know, didn't want crossplay and cross progression with another consoles. This was somewhat resolved for the most high profile crossplay games, wasn't resolved for some other games, but it has nothing to do with PC or mobile.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Apex isn't cross play is wild to me. Our group is mostly playing on PC but whenever we're only two available and want to find a third player amongst our friends it's always "sorry I'm playing on PS4/XBO".

So yeah fuck Sony for being incredibly backward and out of touch with this. They're ruining the healthiness of multiplayer games under the guise of children protection my ass.

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any barriers created by Sony for developers to include PC-PS4 crossplay right now? Not that I'm aware of. Not every game supports it cuz not every developer want it, or makes it a priority. Sony, as far as I know, didn't want crossplay and cross progression with another consoles. This was somewhat resolved for the most high profile crossplay games, wasn't resolved for some other games, but it has nothing to do with PC or mobile.

Your choice of word there with "resolved" is an interesting one.

Personally, I think it's the wrong one going on recent articles and let's say a "miscommunication" or how it's a program in a 'beta' stage.

No no, it wasn't resolved. What happened was an exception.

An exception was made due the to the sheer amount of public pressure and negative press Sony was rightly getting.

For disclosure, I was extremely vocal (at least on this board) about it, as the account lock affected me personally.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
The fact that Apex isn't cross play is wild to me. Our group is mostly playing on PC but whenever we're only two available and want to find a third player amongst our friends it's always "sorry I'm playing on PS4/XBO".

So yeah fuck Sony for being incredibly backward and out of touch with this. They're ruining the healthiness of multiplayer games under the guise of children protection my ass.
You realize Respawn has said they haven't implemented cross play on their end, right? If it were Sony, there's no reason it wouldn't already be implemented for Xbox/PC.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I think this is much more than just friends and family wanting to play.

Cross Play would also allow small game communities in certain old games to grow together as one instead of being separated per platform, this would be so a big win for those who love to play old MP games like BF3 and so on.

Oct 25, 2017
Give up on the idea of universal Xbox/PlayStation crossplay this generation. It's not happening. Sony is trying to get as many PS4 owners out there as possible.

Ps5 will likely have crossplay since the game will be reset and they have to be more competitive.

Oct 26, 2017
It takes a special kind of delusion to still defend Sony. It was bad when they just flat out blocked crossplay with other consoles. Their solution is to play favourites and obfuscate their policy while paying lip service to their commitment. I'd argue their current stance is actually worse as it creates confusion for devs (as evidenced by multiple dev accounts so far)

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue their current stance is actually worse as it creates confusion for devs (as evidenced by multiple dev accounts so far)
i don't think there's any confusion. unless their game is super big, they're not getting cross play. which is just ridiculous cuz smaller games benefit the most from cross play, as they get to pool their userbase together to give their online modes more longevity.