• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

That's the type of discourse I was aluding to in reiterated cross-play threads.

So just to get this straight, you think that despite having the ability to allow crossplay at no additional cost to them, which would allow more people to play games together, Sony should withhold this from their customers? You don't think that's anti-consumer?

No. Sony's stance on (console) cross-play is anti-consumer.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
So just to get this straight, you think that despite having the ability to allow crossplay at no additional cost to them, which would allow more people to play games together, Sony should withhold this from their customers? You don't think that's anti-consumer?
What daddy Sony wants, daddy Sony gets.

Spank me daddy Sony.

Mar 11, 2019
I would not like to have crossplay between pc and consoles, for example many games don't have good anti cheat measures. Also I dont feel like having a competitive disadvantage (facing pc mouse keyboard) or advantage (facing people with tiny mobile phone screen with bad controls) is fun. I am surprised to not see more people against crossplay.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Sony is so good for protecting their players right now that the players are feeling the need to protect papa Sony as well, a true relationship y'all.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Most households don't even have multiple consoles at all so his point doesn't make much sense. How many households have four different platforms that they all play at the same time?

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
User banned (3 days): Trolling and engaging in system wars behavior after previously having been warned about both.
Not sure why that'd be the case. The PS4 is already the dominant system for multiplatform titles and that's not a trend that'll really change before the PS5 comes out or even afterwards. If anything, it'd be another reason to stick with the PS4 and not bother getting an Xbox alongside it. It's a big reason for why I even have an Xbox, tbh
No, they are greedy! Even if 1 person buys an xbox they probably take the money for a ps4 out of an intern. And if xbox sells 1000 more, they sell the intern to Caribbean pirates.
But you are right, especially since we have moved to more digital and probably ps5 will have backwards compatability it will still be the leader.
Maybe they can't do it right? The name change they allowed broke games I heard so what will crosplay do? Brick consoles? Anthem did that with no problem.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Most households don't even have multiple consoles at all so his point doesn't make much sense. How many households have four different platforms that they all play at the same time?

If you include a phone and a game console that's two. If both parents have phones that's three. Toss in a tablet, PC, or another game console and you have a lot suddenly.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I would not like to have crossplay between pc and consoles, for example many games don't have good anti cheat measures. Also I dont feel like having a competitive disadvantage (facing pc mouse keyboard) or advantage (facing people with tiny mobile phone screen with bad controls) is fun. I am surprised to not see more people against crossplay.
It's usually an option to disable it if you want it to be or automatically filtered depending on who you play with to prevent advantages/diadvantages for everyone. I just wish more games had cross-platform party systems, I don't really care too much if it's just a flat playerbase increase with no way to play with people you want.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are points to be made for crossplay (like friends who are on different platforms, ability to find instant matches, etc.), But family play is hardly a good one.
Sony already often supports PC and mobile xplay (sometimes more than the competition).

If devs/ publishers cared that much about family play, they'd promote couch co-op and cheap digital bundles x-platform (buying 1 copy gets you multiple versions for free or heavily discounted).

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
how many households own 2 ps4's and 2xboxes and/or a switch?

#bringbacksplitscreen

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I did. But people keep on quoting me.

Replies my dear boy.
And you can't ignore the quotes until they stop? You're being pretty ridiculous in this thread, of course you're going to get quoted until you either stop acting like this or stop posting itt altogether

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Chucklefish pretty much said it's as easy as flipping a switch, yet Sony, for super shitty anti-consumer reasons, doesn't want gamers playing together with every game.

That's an asshole move no matter how you look at it. Just like it was MS being the assholes last gen. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
If you include a phone and a game console that's two. If both parents have phones that's three. Toss in a tablet, PC, or another game console and you have a lot suddenly.

Okay Sony doesnt have an issue with crossplay with mobile devices so I don't know why you even bring that up and there aren't even that many games that crossplay between mobile and consoles.

I am talking about multiple consoles...

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay Sony doesnt have an issue with crossplay with mobile devices so I don't know why you even bring that up and there aren't even that many games that crossplay between mobile and consoles.

I am talking about multiple consoles...
As long as the mobile/pc players aren't friends with Switch or Xbox players.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's literally no reason to defend this practice. you're not even getting paid to defend this garbage.

Oct 26, 2017
No, they are greedy! Even if 1 person buys an xbox they probably take the money for a ps4 out of an intern. And if xbox sells 1000 more, they sell the intern to Caribbean pirates.

But you are right, especially since we have moved to more digital and probably ps5 will have backwards compatability it will still be the leader.
Maybe they can't do it right? The name change they allowed broke games I heard so what will crosplay do? Brick consoles? Anthem did that with no problem.
lol Some are truly strongly against it to that extent for...reasons

I don't think that's it. Crossplay isn't really handled on their end. It's handled by the developers of the game. I mean, we have crossplay working just fine with PC and Mobile for the PS4 and even the Switch can crossplay with no issues, despite Nintendo's shitty online service. Maybe there is a difference with their specific online system but, so far, it seems to be more so that Sony deliberately doesn't want to do it and only caves if the game is big enough and gets enough attention

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm saying you shouldn't post a bunch of ridiculous stuff in a thread, then say you're going to leave and not expect people to quote you/call you out.

Alright. Let's get something straight, I haven't posted a "bunch of ridiculous stuff in this thread", and I didn't say I was going to leave this thread.

I have the right to answer questions, and call out those who insinuate shit about me.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
As long as the mobile/pc players aren't friends with Switch or Xbox players.

They can cross play with the tiny amount of mobile games that allow it regardless. They already did it with Fortnite before. And again I was talking about consoles... Who even wants to play a mobile game with console players?

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
Yeah, most families don't own multiple PS4, but they do own a PS4, XO and/or NS... It seems to me, that this idea seemed a little bit stupid even for this developer himself, considering he didn't mention any crossplay between consoles in his example, only PS4-mobile one, that we already have in addition to PS4-PC.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They can cross play with the tiny amount of mobile games that allow it regardless. They already did it with Fortnite before. And again I was talking about consoles... Who even wants to play a mobile game with console players?
Families, friends, millions of people that play games for fun and don't need to try and be the best at everything.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know what they mean but this is as good an excuse as any to remind everyone that splitscreen is a thing and I wish devs didn't forget about it. Even Halo for a second there forgot about it!

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing we've seen with games like Vainglory and Fortnite is that a whole family may want to play together, but nobody owns four PlayStations.
I would have expected that any and every gamer worth their salt has a very good chance of owning four PlayStations.

PlayStation
PlayStation 2
PlayStation 3
PlayStation 4

(PlayStation doesn't automatically mean PS4, especially not if you happen to appreciate older videogames.)