• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
During a panel at PAX East 2019, moderated (and transcribed) by GamesBeat's Dean Takahashi, Taehoon Kim (CEO of nWay, the studio behind the recent fighting game Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid) highlighted how Sony's stance limiting crossplay hinders games and gamers. He said that families want to play together, but no household owns four PlayStation 4 consoles to do that.

Right now it's not fully there, because one of the biggest platforms out there, Sony, still isn't fully opening up. They've made some exceptions with a handful of games like Fortnite and Rocket League, but they've said they have to judge whether they can allow through other games or not.
They're getting a lot of pressure to open up.
People want to play with their friends, and not all of your friends are going to be on the exact same platform as you are. Being able to do that is great. Also, families like to play together. One thing we've seen with games like Vainglory and Fortnite is that a whole family may want to play together, but nobody owns four PlayStations. Dad's going to play on the iPad, one kid is on the PS4, another kid is on his phone. That kind of gameplay is only possible through crossplay.

https://wccftech.com/dev-crossplay-families-want-to-play-together/

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Well shit I was up to 3 PS4's at one point. Launch day console, bedroom console and Pro. Gave away all but my Pro to my nieces and nephews so back down to 1 :(

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
User Banned (1 Day): Thread whining and derailment.
There's literally nothing in this article that hasn't been discussed to death already. Evident by the level of discourse above me.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a 90s console race anymore. It benefits every company involved to go all in on crossplay. At this stage, crossplay plays an enormous role in the game purchases in my household. I don't have my PS4 anymore, but even if I did, the last notable release I bought was God of War and it would have stayed that way probably until PS5. Instead, everything gets purchased on PC and Switch. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation or with this mindset. Sony needs to open up.

There's literally nothing in this article that hasn't been discussed to death already. Evident by the level of discourse above me.

That doesn't stop Epic threads from popping up and circling the same wagons over and over. At least there is an article attached to this discussion. This is pressure that needs to be applied to the execs at Sony until they give in. Thread whining isn't productive in this case.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
This isn't a 90s console race anymore. It benefits every company involved to go all in on crossplay. At this stage, crossplay plays an enormous role in the game purchases in my household. I don't have my PS4 anymore, but even if I did, the last notable release I bought was God of War and it would have stayed that way probably until PS5. Instead, everything gets purchased on PC and Switch. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation or with this mindset. Sony needs to open up.

That doesn't stop Epic threads from popping up and circling the same wagons over and over. At least there is an article attached to this discussion. This is pressure that needs to be applied to the execs at Sony until they give in. Thread whining isn't productive in this case.

There's usually some news worthy discussion in those threads, this article is simply reiterating what we have known since this whole debacle started.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
Sony is anti consumer with cross play, what else is new? If they allowed it people would buy the other consoles, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I feel that, but... dude has a fighting game with (basically) Infinite combos... please fix that first.

But, yes.. more players would be nice

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Sony riding this shit into the dust.

Dont expect any movement till PS5. And if them PS5 presales are boomin... shit. Expect this rodeo again

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly fucking shameful how Sony has done the bare minimum on this. I really hope MS steals market share from them next gen to force Sony to be competitive because they've gotten too comfortable with their position. "4 the players" my ass

Your posts in this thread have been ridiculous. Crazy the lengths people will go to to completely dismiss the point and defend some faceless corporation that doesn't give a fuck about them

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Bring split screen back dudes!! Seriously, the best times are when you're playing on the same screen. Different devices and tvs is a bit much and usually require some distance like another room.

Crash Team Racing + Multitap + 4 new colored controllers was the best xmas gifts I got the year that game came out. So many memories, memories that won't be forgotten. The first time I set everything up like yesterday even. You don't even need multitap these days, yet no split screen usually.

Oct 26, 2017
Sony is anti consumer with cross play, what else is new? If they allowed it people would buy the other consoles, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
Not sure why that'd be the case. The PS4 is already the dominant system for multiplatform titles and that's not a trend that'll really change before the PS5 comes out or even afterwards. If anything, it'd be another reason to stick with the PS4 and not bother getting an Xbox alongside it. It's a big reason for why I even have an Xbox, tbh

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
One thing we've seen with games like Vainglory and Fortnite is that a whole family may want to play together, but nobody owns four PlayStations. Dad's going to play on the iPad, one kid is on the PS4, another kid is on his phone. That kind of gameplay is only possible through crossplay.

But how many big games like that are out there? The only one Sony is not supporting is Minecraft and that's because of Xbox Live, I think. Sony has been supporting cross-play with PC since the PS2 era (and have no problems with mobile either).

The "families don't own more than one PS4" point is weird

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I get the idea of what he means, but like...do families also not own more than 1 controller?

Especially for his game, which is a fighting game.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
True. Correct me if I'm wrong, Sony doesn't really have an issue with cross-play between PC and mobile?
Sony's lack of communication, consistency or transparency about their crossplay policy makes it difficult to get a read on what is and isn't acceptable on Sony's platform, and has been a source of frustration for many developers.

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
You're free to believe this.

Asking what he meant by critics point is a cheap shot? :s
So just to get this straight, you think that despite having the ability to allow crossplay at no additional cost to them, which would allow more people to play games together, Sony should withhold this from their customers? You don't think that's anti-consumer?