• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The gulf in class between the people attempting to gather additional information and help the developer and the regular faces who are just using this incident to peruse an obvious agenda.

PlayStation made it easier for indie devs to self-publish this generation, though it's clear there is more work to be done in Asia. They were the first console platform to drop patch fees. They threw their weight behind console Virtual Reality as others stand motionless on the sideline. They staged four PSX events this generation for which independent developers are a important and significant component. Yet this incident proves they are manipulative, scheming, and are only interested in heavy 3rd person format games, despite the metric shit ton of indie games that release every year on their platform.

Oct 27, 2017
There's more to the story:

JJvOo4y_d.jpg

Damnit, I should have waited before destroying my PS4.

Feb 10, 2018
No offence to the Dev, but they have really not done there research by the looks of things.
I suppose they are an indie and can't be expected to be as knowledgeable as a dev with more resources and experience.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Well I guess some companies are in trouble then. What with ignoring VR development entirely this gen.

You can't extrapolate a pattern from one case. And surprise surprise, there is a little more to the picture than initially presented. That said, SIEJ should be more communicative. Maybe the process could be simplified entirely with one global process overseen by a team that can get applications to the right place.
It's not just one case and this isn't the only place Sony has been silent on.

Also Microsoft as much as you say ignored VR still participated in it. Just not where you wanted.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It's not just one case

Well, how many cases? And again, enough to form a general pattern to support a kind of conspiracy of negligence being suggested by some?

Also Microsoft as much as you say ignored VR still participated in it. Just not where you wanted.

Not where most VR devs would have wanted them to participate - i.e. in expanding the market. Microsoft could have added a substantial number of consumers to the early market for VR software via Xbox support (ditto Nintendo), so it's a shame that did not happen. Only one of the console makers sought to substantially engage with and expand the market for these developers. It would have helped VR a lot in these early days if two or more had.

Nov 30, 2017
The gulf in class between the people attempting to gather additional information and help the developer and the regular faces who are just using this incident to peruse an obvious agenda.

PlayStation made it easier for indie devs to self-publish this generation, though it's clear there is more work to be done in Asia. They were the first console platform to drop patch fees. They threw their weight behind console Virtual Reality as others stand motionless on the sideline. They staged four PSX events this generation for which independent developers are a important and significant component. Yet this incident proves they are manipulative, scheming, and are only interested in heavy 3rd person format games, despite the metric shit ton of indie games that release every year on their platform.

This 100 times.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I shared their message with @yosp and I'd like to think maybe that helped. Glad to see the community was able to get them in touch with the right people. Looking forward to playing it on PSVR.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of surreal seeing my reddit post quoted here, but yeah. The story is as innocent as it is simple - when they filed their initial application it went to SIE Japan. They behave quite differently from SIEA as they are harder to engage as a Japanese business, and there was the reality of a very real language barrier at play ,I know this firsthand because we had to work through a SIEA laiason to engage them when we created the PS2 Legacy dynamic theme. It's not an issue exclusive to SIEJ (this is also a problem for small developers that are based IN Japan as well).

Either way, the issue is now resolved in the indie devs favor, and some of the arguments that flew around seem a bit silly as they are for the most part leveled at the wrong people (SIEA) based on some incorrect assumptions. 🙃

But hey! you know if you guys really wanna talk about an underdog indie PSVR game... I'm still holding out hope for one of you to make an OT 👉🏻😬👉🏻

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hmm.

Odd. There's the occasional low-budget shlock that doesn't even get advertising that get's on the store so no idea why this would be ignored.

It does look vaguely similar to Job Simulator's Restaurant mode. But I doubt that is why they would ignore it.
But you know...they are leading the console sales war so why bother. They can relax. It's the superior console so no need for these things, or xplay.