• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, at this point I'm ready to say that I prefer the Kaz-House-Boyes trio more than the current leaderships.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why the Dev waited a year to contact Sony after nearly a year of Sony silence.
I would of called or spoke to a person some how in like march 2018, not wait until Jan 2019.

I imagine that as a small indie dev, there's always something else that needs attention. They mention in the Reddit post that they moved on to other platforms and projects when Sony ghosted them originally. I don't see any reason to doubt them on this.

In general, it feels like there's been a steep decline in indie outreach since Boyes and Suttner left, but I'm guessing it's less the individuals leaving and more a general shift in Sony philosophy at work here. There has to be corporate support for these kinds of initiatives, or else the individuals can't do very much. Nintendo and Microsoft have also had very good people leading their developer outreach, but haven't always earned the same success (though I think Nindies is doing pretty great nowadays).

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This is something to remember when someone tells you "Steam should do curation !"
Nothing is worse for a dev that made a game to see a door closed when it comes to release it.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how much of Sony's past indie push was Vita related? After abandoning first party development, there was a period of time where it was hauled as a portable indie machine, and now that it has come and gone, Sony probably no longer feels the need to promote indies anymore.

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017
In reality it's probably one or two low level account coordinators not checking their email or workflow status appropriately. There is a constant stream of ridiculously low-budget content on PSN, and trying to prioritize all of that is probably no easy task... and then a good game (never heard of the game in OP) can easily be overlooked

No it's more likely that Shawn Layden and Sony execs are directly ordering their all their department heads to ignore these small pathetic indie devs because they are a "shit company" - rather than just oversight

/s

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I wonder how common of a case this is. Is it possible to raise a stink and get their attention through social media?

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
They deserve a proper response to their application at least, even if it's a rejection.

Feb 10, 2018
I wonder how much of Sony's past indie push was Vita related? After abandoning first party development, there was a period of time where it was hauled as a portable indie machine, and now that it has come and gone, Sony probably no longer feels the need to promote indies anymore.

Being indie friendly played very well into there initial PS4 brand image.
It really re-enforced there "for the players" stratagy and marketing.
I'm not saying Sony is not still indie friendly but priorities change.
I would not be surprised if PS5 gets another indie push during its launch year.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Come on, don't tell me Sony is too high-and-mighty for indies on PSVR. That level of content is the biggest chunk of their VR catalog. Even their "big" games are made by small teams.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There are so many games releasing on the PlayStation Store every single week that this clearly isn't a widespread issue. However, they shouldn't let any studio slip through, so I hope this gets picked up promptly after the signal boost.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder how common of a case this is. Is it possible to raise a stink and get their attention through social media?
The issue has been taken public-enough imo. Maybe the developer doesn't want that kind of social media stink flood raised. Helpful Reddit users have offered to contact Sony directly and offered plausible theories of what's happening and why (a mishandling of inquiries by Sony Japan). If it's a fundamental flaw in the system, bigger than us all, then we'll know soon enough. But right now I think we're all jumping to conclusions a tad too quick.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
I signed up in 2013 and they were great. Things have changed but hopefully it's just been a simple mistake. I wouldn't expect Sony to not let a developer at least reach the next stage.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
SonyConference_PSLovesIndies.jpg
*when it's convenient.

DarkenedSoul

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like this is a shit post.

--

Never heard of this game and I follow VR pretty well, but certainly some type of response be it negative, positive or an automated reply should be in order.

Fair response. Just salty because I was very impressed with Sony at the start of this generation and been increasingly more and more disappointed at the tail-end. Apologies.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony needs to get roasted over this shit, especially when it comes to VR which needs as much good content as it can get.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Long list of ppl submitting, probably under paid and over worked staff just not caught up on submissions.

Otherwise, that really blows.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Or the game is not that good...
Lmao, like that fuckin' matters, someone clearly hasn't looked around PSN recently:

Their channels are probably clogged with games, tbh. It cant be about quality or anything, I mean look at what we just got last week
FEAR OF BUGS -The Fear Experience-

*PLEASE watch the trailer on the PS Store, it is pure gold

PSN is filled with total garbage. Besides which, it's completely unprofessional to straight up ignore someone, who has made multiple inquiries, for over a year. At the bare minimum they should send a rejection letter.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
PSN is filled with total garbage. Besides which, it's completely unprofessional to straight up ignore someone, who has made multiple inquiries, for over a year. At the bare minimum they should send a rejection letter.

Yeah I never said it wasnt unprofessional, I just think it's not some toxic corporate culture and instead its some account coordinators/managers that dropped the ball. People seem to be holding Layden personally responsible for releasing dozens of games every month and I just dont think they understand how corporations work, is all.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a tough time getting up in arms about this, unless it's a wider spread issue. I have no idea how many cold call game submission a platform like Playstation would get to that email. I would guess a lot. Obviously there are examples of seemingly random trash getting to the store, but there is some vetting going on and this seems more like some or multiple account reps doing a poor job of communicating that. There is a big difference between indie games that are promoted by Sony / Microsoft / Nintendo (often coming from devs with years of experience and connections in the industry) and a self published game on Steam. They obviously deserve a response and have every right to make a fuss to get some eyes on their game, but to extrapolate that Playstation doesn't care about indie games based on this is kind of dumb.

Nov 19, 2017
Sooo has anyone checked if this game is good? I have a Rift and can personally attest to their store being crowded with half-baked generic asset looking garbage so if this game fits into that category then why care.

On the flip side of the game is legit then yeah that sucks and Sony should at least respond to the devs if nothing else.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I think Jim sterling touched on Sony being not so good to work with as an indie in the black tiger video. If you have the right connections you can publish absolute crap(black tiger) but if not it can be a pain in the ass.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm that changes things a bit. Not saying that Sony is completely absolved of the issue, but if there is indeed a language and location issue causing problems, then this story is another case of ERA wanting Sony's blood when we don't have all the answers.

Yeah if the Japan branch doesn't give two glances at most indie applications then the Cooking Game devs really do need to try and incorporate in US/EU as the Truant Pixel dev stated. Hope they're able to get it on the PS Store at some point. Sounds like a frustrating process for indies based in other regions.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm that changes things a bit. Not saying that Sony is completely absolved of the issue, but if there is indeed a language and location issue causing problems, then this story is another case of ERA wanting Sony's blood when we don't have all the answers.

One of the reasons when I see a thread like this I just sit back and wait for more information. Not just gaming, but in threads where people are getting outraged for whatever reason. In many cases there is information we are missing and getting angry is only a waste of energy when we are outsiders looking in at an issue between other parties.

If this helps these devs to get things on track then cool it was worth it. It will hopefully be a learning experience for everyone involved, the devs, Sony, and the community.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
All this shit going on before PS5 does not bode well for them. I hope Xbox is way more successful this time around.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
People make up all this stuff about how this and that will lose Sony the next gen, but this is now. Ignoring your developers is how.

Well I guess some companies are in trouble then. What with ignoring VR development entirely this gen.

You can't extrapolate a pattern from one case. And surprise surprise, there is a little more to the picture than initially presented. That said, SIEJ should be more communicative. Maybe the process could be simplified entirely with one global process overseen by a team that can get applications to the right place.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah if the Japan branch doesn't give two glances at most indie applications then the Cooking Game devs really do need to try and incorporate in US/EU as the Truant Pixel dev stated. Hope they're able to get it on the PS Store at some point. Sounds like a frustrating process for indies based in other regions.

One of the reasons when I see a thread like this I just sit back and wait for more information. Not just gaming, but in threads where people are getting outraged for whatever reason. In many cases there is information we are missing and getting angry is only a waste of energy when we are outsiders looking in at an issue between other parties.

If this helps these devs to get things on track then cool it was worth it. It will hopefully be a learning experience for everyone involved, the devs, Sony, and the community.

Definitely. I'm all for a good roast myself, but after the whole crossplay thread earlier this week, everyone has their teeth bared, ready to pounce on any new violation from any company or studio. It's like, can we all get the facts first before y'all start acting like children? Hopefully this gets resolved and the devs get to release their game.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sooo has anyone checked if this game is good? I have a Rift and can personally attest to their store being crowded with half-baked generic asset looking garbage so if this game fits into that category then why care.

On the flip side of the game is legit then yeah that sucks and Sony should at least respond to the devs if nothing else.

Its getting port begged by PSVR owners. So yes its good

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Sounds like Sony alright. If you are not producing a story heavy 3rd person Sony format game, you are not probably on some sort of shortlist lol

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With things like this and Cross Play it is clear the management is one of the things that needs fixing. Reading the posts from Reddit it is not as bad as in the OP but still.