• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you a victim of the memes?

• Unashamedly. I play it regularly anyway. Does that count?

Votes: 42 23.1%
  • Don't be silly! I don't have the time to play Deus Ex again... But also I'm reinstalling it :)

Votes: 46 25.3%
  • Nah. Played it already. Don't need to go back to it again.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • What are these "Juice Eggs" you're referring to...?

Votes: 33 18.1%

• Total voters

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played the original Deus Ex. I probably should at some points.

Are there great mods out there, other than the Lady Denton one? LIke maybe stuff that improves UI or controls. I'm sure the game did not age super well on that front.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
I have only played through it twice, but reading about other peoples playthroughs and wikis its obvious I've missed so much stuff so it is kinda tempting to go back to it eventually.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I really hope we get a new installment.
FWIW I enjoyed HR and MD.

The original obviously reigns supreme as one of the best games ever...

DocScroll

May 25, 2021

Are there great mods out there, other than the Lady Denton one? LIke maybe stuff that improves UI or controls. I'm sure the game did not age super well on that front.
Deus exe for a launcher that gives modern res support, just needs UI scaling. Controls fine in my opinion as its old unreal engine.

I'm strongly of the opinion that no immersive sim has ever topped Deus ex.

OP
OP
Vexii

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I really hope we get a new installment.
FWIW I enjoyed HR and MD.

The original obviously reigns supreme as one of the best games ever...
I unfortunately am part of the late crowd who missed the original and jumped in at HR and MD. I fell in love with both of them so going back to the original is pretty tough going - Trying to see if the LDDP mod helps bridge that gap for me for now!

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
You don't uninstall Deus Ex from your computer. It lives there. Don't take away its home.

Joking aside, it's one of those games I'd love to see get the Halo Anniversary treatment.

OP
OP
Vexii

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
You can't trick me, Vexii. I've seen your specs!
adam-jensen-stare.gif

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I tried to play it a while back and it just didn't do much for me. I could replay Human Revolution though. That's a much better game. I like all the yellow.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Cruelty Squad was my 2021 Game of the Year does that count?

Judging from past experience, Immersive Sims will probably be the only thing able to pull me out of that period of devastation & loss following a FromSoft masterpiece. I've been meaning of taking another trip through the Deus Ex series anyway, so maybe that's where I land. OG Deus Ex totally changed my gaming life back in the day.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
They keep updating the Revision Mod. I should go back and replay it to see how everything has changed. I never uninstall Deus Ex.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Ok, I probably going to say something blasphemous but in my experience the better Deus Ex game was always for me Vampire Bloodlines.. yeah, the last missions sucked ass, mainly for stealth players, combat was ever worse than in any DE game - which is saying a lot - and game was a bug-ridden mess but I just loved the writing, characters, story and atmosphere in VB way more than in pretty much any Deus Ex game.. Deus Ex 1 is a fantastic game but the characters and overall the writing is in all honesty, not good .. not good at all.. it has it's charm, it's funny cheesy, I give it that but I don't care about any character in the game and I don't give a single fuck about the story.. atmosphere is ok but Vampire Bloodlines has all these things milion times better than DE.. DE1 is still a videogame legend, has great level design and many tools for the player to choose from and offering various playstyles but I still like VB more

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I really should try some of the mods for the original game, I never got round to those!

The original game is one of my all time favourite games.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Someone did an LttP thread on it here a while back and that made me reinstall it. At first I installed Revision and tried that for a bit, but found the Hell's Kitchen hub map to be pretty complicated, especially since it had been a number of years since my last playthrough, and I decided I would play the original again, and probably do Revision afterward.

I went with minimal mods, mainly just one to make the colors not be fucked up among other things, so I only used the Kentie's Launcher and no other mods. I just got to Paris now. It's an incredible game still do this day and has aged incredibly well. The whole sequence of escaping the secret MJ12 base through all of Hong Kong was easily my most favorite section of the game.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I probably going to say something blasphemous but in my experience the better Deus Ex game was always for me Vampire Bloodlines.. yeah, the last missions sucked ass, mainly for stealth players, combat was ever worse than in any DE game - which is saying a lot - and game was a bug-ridden mess but I just loved the writing, characters, story and atmosphere in VB way more than in pretty much any Deus Ex game.. Deus Ex 1 is a fantastic game but the characters and overall the writing is in all honesty, not good .. not good at all.. it has it's charm, it's funny cheesy, I give it that but I don't care about any character in the game and I don't give a single fuck about the story.. atmosphere is ok but Vampire Bloodlines has all these things milion times better than DE.. DE1 is still a videogame legend, has great level design and many tools for the player to choose from and offering various playstyles but I still like VB more

VTMB is my most played game on Steam but I love both and couldn't possible choose. Yeah VTMB takes it in terms of atmosphere, writing, and narrative quest design. Deus Ex has superior level design + interactivity which really fosters that wonderfully pure & open ImSim gameplay experience. Both are 10/10 all-timers in my book.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Both DX and Bloodlines are never getting un-installed.

So I guess I'm meme-proof.

But yeah, obviously I replay them from time to time.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I've played the game a million times but actually started a new save with mods for the first time this year. I've been prioritizing other games but eventually I will beat DX again. It is still as amazing as ever and still within my top 3.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I reinstalled it a couple of weeks ago after remembering the music, actually.

Edit:
Who are these people uninstalling Deus Ex from their computers?
They probably couldn't handle the huge space of the save data.

Jokes aside, it's the only game I have ever seen with a "delete save file after loading" option meant to save space.
In every other game that does this, it's usually a suspend save system meant to let players stop the game with having to add extra checkpoints.

Last edited:

hypostatic

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I think it's the best overall, but System Shock 2 has a slight edge on it for me. Both in my top-10 games of all time.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I would love playing it because I love HR and I love MD, but I do not do well with old games (I have a hard time getting past the looks usually, to be honest) and I fear that I might not be able to enjoy what is basically my 2nd favourite genre and what's supposed to be its best representative T_T

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

I'm a big fan of the "Biomod" mod, which rebalances the augmentations and skills while improving the interface a little. Some of them are reworked to be easier to use, like how the damage reduction ones can now be left on and will drain energy only when you get hit. Others that were basically useless in the original were changed or replaced to be more useful, so now you have more interesting choices as to which augmentation you'll want to assign to each body part. Overall it doesn't make the game particularly easier or harder, just more fun to play. It also includes a bunch of the changes that the "Shifter" mod introduced, while removing the unnecessary XP bonuses for certain things from that mod.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i reinstalled mankind divided because of windows

just windows

windows are great

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I still need to play through with the Lay D Denton mod.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it got me. Finished playing through the Lay D Denton mod a couple days ago.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
The memes are what made me try it in the first place and it absolutely lived up to the hype. It does immersive sim scale, verticality, openness and level design better than any of Arkane or Eidos' recent output, barring certain exceptional levels like palisade and crack in the slab. But as a whole, DX1 is unmatched in the immersive sim genre.

If you can get over a bit of clunk here and there (and the meh first level), you'll find one of the greatest games ever made.

what a shame

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Only thing keeping me from doing an actual playthrough is a full controller support mod. I realize that's probably impossible, but I legitimately can't stand m&k controls. Tried to play the game several times over the years and could never get past that.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Well since it seems that DE is dead right now, I'm really glad that we got a open-world "Deus Ex-like" game in the form of CP77 - the first time I played a open-world game with a Deus Ex level and mission structure and design for almost all the hundreds of missions in the game and I loved it.. if someone makes a new DE game, I still would probably rather take a hub-based structure of the game than having it being open-world
Deus Ex games - hub-based
Cyberpunk games - open-world

BratmanDu

Mar 27, 2018
And to think I didn't read a lot of pc mags, I just picked it up in Woolworths because I liked the box! I JUST LIKED THE LOOK OF IT FROM THE BOX! And now, quite easily my fav game of all time.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I'm good. I've done this before and ended up playing Deus Ex too many times.
I'd rather play HR again, I haven't played that in a while…

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I get the Steam Deck, whenever the lucky day finally comes that I get the email and then the console shortly after, I will play Deus Ex 1 for the very first time. I am very excited.

Oct 25, 2017
I installed both Revision and GOTY on my Steam Deck after watching the hbomberguy video, yeah. Having the Lay D Denton mod included by default in Revision is fantastic, especially since it doesn't add any additional complexity to running the game on Linux. Just make sure not to pick the OpenGL renderer for either version because yikes something goes super wrong with the color depth.