• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

There can be only one:

• Deus Ex

Votes: 126 74.1%
  • System Shock 2

Votes: 44 25.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
It's a hard one as I love both. I had to go see us ex just because of how many ways of playing there are.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Both games are awesome, but for me it has to be Deus Ex due to having more freedom.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Haven't played through both (Deus Ex up to paris somewhere, first time player last year) Don't remember how far I got into SS2.

Deus Ex by a margin. SS2 is good as well but I never really liked the mission structure of to accomplish A, you must do B but you can't do B until C and on and on and on. Also the rpg system in SS2 is broken. Ended up only using the wrench for everything.

Deus Ex was like... perfect! Need to continue this eventually.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I am a dirty heathen, I like system shock 2 more. It does a lot less, but I think it's better at what it chooses to focus on.

Dues Ex is still amazing and the more important game though.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Never once in my life have I ever thought to compare this particular pair of games.

Not doing it now either haha. They set out to accomplish completely different objectives and both accomplished their goals.

Also System Shock > System Shock 2, fight meeeeeeeeeeeeee.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
System Shock will always be near my heart but Deus Ex is the winner here. Game still does things better than any other game out there today.

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
I've tried multiple times over the years to get into SS2 and I just couldn't personally. Deus Ex on the other hand hooked me for a good while, it's great fun messing around in that game and it has fantastic writing and intriguing political themes to boot. No disrespect towards System Shock, it just feels really difficult for me to wrap my head around its systems for whatever reason.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Both are fantastic games, but the answer is Deus Ex. There's a meme about people reinstalling only one of these games.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played System Shock 2, but Deus Ex is so good. Gives you so much freedom to do almost anything in your approach.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i love both but deus ex might be the best game of all time. i would do anything for a remake.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
My apologies to anyone about to read this: I voted SS2 because without it there'd have been no Bioshocks. And while I did it I thought about how Deus Ex is probably the better game. And I'm not sorry.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Two awesome games, but Deus Ex runs away with it.

Deus Ex runs away with almost any game ever made, imo. If there was ever a game that needed a remake, it's this one.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I played system shock 2 with the techno disabled and it was fantastic. Enjoyed it a lot more than deus ex. The last boss design was garbage tho.

There's more complexity to deus ex but the game world is less interesting to me.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These are two of the best games ever made but Deus Ex wins. Its player freedom, level design, emergent encounters, and soundtrack are on another level. The weapon breaking in System Shock 2 is also a bit annoying (although not BOTW-tier).

I also like System Shock 1 a bit more than 2.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I'm planning to eventually play System Shock 2, and I'm sure I will love it, but I also love Deus Ex too much.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Deus Ex will win based on recency bias and the fact we haven't had a proper sequel to System Shock 2 for over two decades now.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Deus Ex game design. I'd even choose Arkane's Prey over System Shock 2 to be honest.