• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A rather old news based on the youtube's upload date but I just discovered that there will be a TV series adaptation of Detention coming to Netflix

The film version has been a big success at Taipei Film Awards few months ago.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this game that big? Saw it scrolling through shops on several occassions but it just looked like the typical indie horror game fair.

May 17, 2018
Holy shit had no idea this was happening!

Also, wait, you mean to tell me they were allowed to make this, but they *still* aren't allowed to republish Devotion??

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The movie was alright, and I like the game, so I'll give this a shot.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this game that big? Saw it scrolling through shops on several occassions but it just looked like the typical indie horror game fair.

It's good, I don't think it's a huge hit or anything.

But it does have a story that would be easy to adapt to film or TV, and it has topical themes.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit had no idea this was happening!

Also, wait, you mean to tell me they were allowed to make this, but they *still* aren't allowed to republish Devotion??

They released Detention independently but worked with a publisher for Devotion. I think that's the difference. That publisher probably holds some kind of right of way to prevent them from releasing the game again.

Edit:Seems like the co publishers based in China have got their business licence revoked. I wonder what is holding them back.

Really hope they bounce back and make a 3rd game.

Last edited:

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It has a really good story is more the case here.
Can you imagine a world where productions decided to adapt video games based on their story instead of their popularity?

TrtMPC2.gif

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Man this show is insanely boring.
Watched four episodes until now, can't push myself anymore.
The trailer was so promising, the final product so disappointing.

Oct 26, 2017

man what a roller coaster ride of emotions. Clicked on the thread with great excitement. Saw the post above yours that it'd been released only to read that it's insanely boring :(

I'll probably still give it a try as the game is one of the closest things to Silent Hill in feeling/atmosphere that I've come across over the years

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
man what a roller coaster ride of emotions. Clicked on the thread with great excitement. Saw the post above yours that it'd been released only to read that it's insanely boring :(

I'll probably still give it a try as the game is one of the closest things to Silent Hill in feeling/atmosphere that I've come across over the years
Yup, expected something similar to Silent Hill, found a boring...ghost story? Can't even describe it.

Chippu

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands

That's too bad, I was looking forward to this :/

Watched 1 episode of Sweet Home instead, based on the homonymous webtoon. If you've read the webtoon, it's pretty entertaining, but the OST is truly awful.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
That's too bad, I was looking forward to this :/

Watched 1 episode of Sweet Home instead, based on the homonymous webtoon. If you've read the webtoon, it's pretty entertaining, but the OST is truly awful.
Ah, Netflix added it today in Italy as well, I watched the trailer and it seems ok, watched the intro in the snow and...dunno.
I think I'll watch a couple of episodes at least, but on paper it looks way more interesting than Detention is.

Chippu

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
I didn't really get the intro either, as it doesn't really have anything to do with the webtoon. The author stated that it won't be a 1:1 adaptation, though.

Once you make it past the intro the atmosphere completely changes, so it's probably worth pushing on a bit. The second half of episode 1 should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect from the show.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The movie was much better at capturing the atmosphere than this series thus far. And the acting for the series has mostly been quite meh for me, especially the female lead.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Man I had the complete opposite reaction to the posters here. I thought it was a great way to expand and continue the story while staying true to the original themes. Yes there isn't much actual horror, the show is more of a drama dealing with grief and trauma. But I found it totally gripping. Maybe it helped I had just recently replayed the game, but I thought the evolution of the story was fascinating.

There is one thing that really bothers me, and that is without giving spoilers it causes the ending of the original game to be seen in a different light and may diminish its potency, but I was still really moved by the ending of the show.