• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.
It is now 13 years since Madeleine was reported missing during a family holiday in Portugal and the team of officers leading the Met's investigation, known as Operation Grange, are today, Wednesday, 3 June, making a public appeal linked to a significant new line of enquiry.

Met detectives working with German authorities have identified a man currently imprisoned in Germany as a suspect in Madeleine's disappearance.

This man is white and in 2007 is believed to have had short blond hair, possibly fair. He was about 6ft in height with a slim build. He is 43-years-old, but in 2007 may have looked between 25 to early 30s.

We have established that he lived on and off in the Algarve between 1995 and 2007. He is connected to the area of Praia da Luz and surrounding regions, and spent some short spells in Germany.

This individual, who we will not identify, is currently in prison in Germany for an unrelated matter.

The Operation Grange team is revealing details of two vehicles which the suspect is known to have had access to and used around the time of Madeleine's disappearance.

news.met.police.uk

UPDATE: Following Operation Grange Appeal

DCI Mark Cranwell, from Operation Grange said :“Following our appeal for information yesterday, I want to thank those members of the public who have...

2020 is something else.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
The story that keeps on giving...

It would be quite miraculous if this was the breakthrough lead. I can't imagine what it must be like for the parents to go through the same ringer every time a potential lead is identified.

Turbowolf

Nov 2, 2018
Just finished watching the doc on Netflix. Would be shocked if this case ever gets closed, but this sounds like a promising lead.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
Changing the registered owner of the car the day after she went missing could either be just a simple coincidence or the smoking gun.
I agree that it would be crazy if this case is actually solved after all this time.

Dec 2, 2017
Man 13 years, what a wild ride it's been. Lot of people are gonna end up looking dumb if the parents aren't her murderers.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like every few years there is a new prime suspect but nothing comes from it.

ForZoey

May 29, 2019
I remain skeptical. The McCann's have twice before appealed for more information on potential suspects who had already been ruled out after police investigation. The BBC had to apologize one time because the McCann's asked them to display a photograph of a man who had already assisted the police with their inquiries.

And often around the anniversary, a new suspect is thrown up.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Hopefully this will lead to something that will give closure. There are so many other stories like it: just weeks ago, a new lead about a Spanish girl killed in 2009 made police look in a new place in an effort to locate the body with no luck.

Also, this year in Spain, a 33-year old cold case was reopened: a greatly gifted kid disappeared in 1987. Out of the blue, a former evidence piece, a sketch of his alleged kidnapper/killer showed up on his old friend's mailbox (it was given to her by the kid), just like that, this past February. The police had no clue where it had been all this time or who could have delivered it.

elcierredigital.com

Reabren 33 años después el caso de David Guerrero, el niño pintor de Málaga, gracias a un anónimo, un dibujo, nuevos testimonios y la presión familiar

David Guerrero Guevara, el 'niño pintor' de Málaga, está en paradero desconocido desde el 6 de abril de 1987, cuando tenía 13 años. Ahora la Poli...

baskcm

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Insensitive commentary, account in junior phase
I just don't think the amount of money that was spent on the case was.justified.i mean it sad she went missing but how much has been spent on it

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
No other missing children get this kind of media attention, its gross that the rich, white privilege of the parents allowed them to get away with negligence and receive magnitudes of support more than any other parents with missing children.

And yes I think they did it

ForZoey

May 29, 2019
The investigation over the last ten years consists of going through a list of sex offenders in Portugal within a 30 mile radius and asking for the public to corroborate their whereabouts at the time of Madeleine's disappearance. If you stick a pin in a map of your home town and sketched a 30 mile radius you unfortunately would discover many sex offenders.

But I remain deeply skeptical. Too many red flags in this case.

There is a lot of confusion and panic when a child is missing or does not return home. Police are trained to be wary of family members, or close associates of the family, who in the minutes and hours after abduction appear to have all the answers. Not only do they express certainty as to what must have transpired, they also make a concerted effort to persuade other people to their POV.

And here in this case we find Kate McCann telling people within minutes of finding Madeleine's bed empty she has been abducted. Staff tried to reassure her that Maddy might have gone walkabout. No. Kate insists she has been abducted. As hours pass, Kate then states openly her other two children must have been sedated by the abductor before they made good their escape. What! Why would you say such a thing? Unfortunately the Portuguese police were too slow to recognize these red flags. "If you believed your remaining children had been sedated, as you informed a police officer on the night of Maddy's disappearance, why did you not ask for them to be immediately examined by a doctor?" (paraphrasing) was one of the questions Kate later answered "No comment" to.

This is just scratching the surface. There are endless red flags in this case. But hey there was a sex offender "travelling in the area" so he's probably guilty. Case solved.

Last edited:

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
This is just scratching the surface. There are endless red flags in this case. But hey there was a sex offender "travelling in the area" so he's probably guilty. Case solved.

That's my feeling too. They've finally found a convicted sex offender who might have been in the area at the time, so boom, prime suspect. If it is him, I hope they've got some physical evidence because witness testimony after this length of time is going to be super unreliable.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The sedation thing is weird and the police fucked that up by not checking, I still think a decent theory is they sedated their kids to have a party and she died.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The investigation has been given funding every year since it resumed in 2012 and there is an entire team at Scotland Yard devoted to this case apparently.
Guess they just accuse another person every year and put out another appeal for information so it looks like they are doing something to keep getting funding.
Wouldn't be surprised if some of that funding wound up in the parents pockets either

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Well, they did try to use the public fund set up to help the investigation to pay their mortgage, so they're obviously not above some financial shenanigans.

200.gif

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You could imagine the press, police, government have made such a commitment to it being someone else that they can't row it back now. They lost their chance initially at the crime scene so it's kinda inevitable they keep this going.

The only thing which makes me question if they didn't do it, disposing of the body which would have been hard to do.