• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

D3O2lt4.png

DOTl1uX.png

J1QHgam.png

OEmNIer.png

Hey, it looks like they might actually pull this off???

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
First good video game movie? Like I'm sure this is gonna be great, and I'm taking my kid day one but we live in a world with Mortal Kombat in 95.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a different from the Tokyo(?) showing?
According to the Huff Post:

"The first screenings for the film took place over the weekend, and while reviews remain embargoed for the time being, critics have begun posting their early thoughts about the film on social media."

So yeah, seems like they are press screeners.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
My buddy saw it and loves it. He said it's incredible what they did and that it's a legitimately good movie.

Also that they really expanded and improved the story from the game, so if you've played that look forward to a bunch of surprises.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. Trailers were not good and impressions for any movie are usually good.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
First good video game movie? Like I'm sure this is gonna be great, and I'm taking my kid day one but we live in a world with Mortal Kombat in 95.
Good as in "quality" not "fun" as in "cheesy but nostalgic and fun to laugh at". I love Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat and Super MArio Bros but none of them are anything close to a good movie.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
As it turns out, when you focus on making a movie first rather than just directly translating a videogame to the big screen - you can actually make a pretty great movie. And when you also respect & cherish what made that game great, you satisfy fans as well.

Super excited, and hope this sparks a long catalogue of Pokemon movies to come.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As it turns out, when you focus on making a movie first rather than just directly translating a videogame to the big screen - you can actually make a pretty great movie. And when you also respect & cherish what made that game great, you satisfy fans as well.

Super excited, and hope this sparks a long catalogue of Pokemon movies to come.
I think those are the two key, if at first glance contradictory points: a) you have to want to actually make a movie that is good on its own merits, but b) you have to actually respect the property you are adapting. Most video game movies fail at both of these.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rampage isn't a video game movie, people- it doesn't even share a premise outside of "big monsters attack!" May as well call it a Godzilla spinoff.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
My brother saw it. Says it's pretty light on plot, but watches like a super hero origin story. Says it didn't dawn on him for a bit but after a while he realized how special the movie was.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's almost as if a good movie can be the result when you have people working on it who actually really respect to the source material.

Who would have thought?

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
If we go by Rotten Tomatoes, Detective Pikachu just need to get a fresh rating (at least 60%) to pull ahead of every other video game movie.

Which is a damn shame. That's pretty much getting the highest grade in the class when you have a D.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's almost as if a good movie can be the result when you have people working on it who actually really respect to the source material.

Who would have thought?

All of this.

Don't be afraid of your source material. Embrace it. Write the movie with some heart.

It's the not-so-secret sauce to the MCU that so many others seem to fail at replicating or simply don't understand.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It helps that the source material on this case is way easier to adapt in this case than the mainline games

May 5, 2018
I read on the early screening page that Detective Pikachu's review embargo is tomorrow. Curious as to how it'll review? These impressions gives it hope that it'll review decently.
Edit: Nevermind the Embargo is right there on the screen saying its on Tuesday May 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.