• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was speaking to someone who has seen the film and they were surprisingly positive about it, he cited it's "90 odd minute" running time as a major plus given that it feels more like a family film than a four quadrant franchise player.

I watched it back to back with Endgame. Endgame being the first movie and Detective Pikachu being the second movie. While Endgame is great, I really appreciated the shorter running time, everything moved at a swift pace and kept the plot developing quickly. Maybe it felt a little too quick but this movie really does feel like it's for the younger audience.

Who has seen the movie? Are there member impressions here? I'm going Friday

It's great. It is a nice neat little story, no big cliffhangers or any attempts to suck you into some cinematic universe. It's also charming, very light hearted and silly just like the games but because of that, it doesn't have a whole lot of emotional depth to it's story just like the games. As a result, it really does feel like it's for younger audiences but like the games, those with an inner child can enjoy the experience also.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it back to back with Endgame. Endgame being the first movie and Detective Pikachu being the second movie. While Endgame is great, I really appreciated the shorter running time, everything moved at a swift pace and kept the plot developing quickly. Maybe it felt a little too quick but this movie really does feel like it's for the younger audience.

It's great. It is a nice neat little story, no big cliffhangers or any attempts to suck you into some cinematic universe. It's also charming, very light hearted and silly just like the games but because of that, it doesn't have a whole lot of emotional depth to it's story just like the games. As a result, it really does feel like it's for younger audiences but like the games, those with an inner child can enjoy the experience also.
Alright, I feel like I'll enjoy best seeing all the pokemon made into a real world doing real world things. Gonna be fun

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw it with a pass from friends. My thoughts:

PROS:
+A drop-dead gorgeous realization of the Pokemon world. The worldbuilding and special effects help them fit perfectly in the crowd.
+The humor, especially in the first half, made us often lose it.
+Ryan Reynolds' performance is top notch. A couple of other side actors stand out with delightfully hammy performances.
+It knows it's a Pokemon movie first and foremost. The fanservice is phenomenal.
+Solid pacing.
+The Pokemon deserve at least a nomination for Best Special Effects. Maybe that's me though.

CONS:
-Very bog-standard detective story. Anyone who's seen too many of these films can see the twists from a mile away.
-Plot holes. Plot holes everywhere.
-A few stupid idiot moments.
-Acting and dialogue is inconsistent.
-Expects viewers to be Pokemon fans first and foremost.

Overall, DP's not the kind of film you go to for a good mystery narrative. You just watch it for a live-action realization of the Pokemon world that actually works.

If you try watching it expecting an introduction to the franchise you're gonna have a bad time.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Plot holes and nitpicks are two very different things.

Plot hole is used so much it has lost its meaning.

essentially this:
5ae952b751b7a.jpeg

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Was funny, but there are a ton of stupid really out there stuff happening all the time. Good popcorn flick, Pikachu is really cute.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, this is only 90 minutes long? My cinema chain says it's 105 minutes long without the credits and trailers.

I hope Cubone gets to join Tim and Lucy on their adventure.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Good to know it's a more-than-acceptable movie. I think I'll go watch it in a couple of weeks :)

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Some people are sleeping on the future potential of the universe.

DP may not be 90%+ or break a billion, but one day, perhaps in 10 years as well if that's what it takes, I'm confident Pokemon will have its own Endgame.

tumblr_pqk2gpheTh1qioqevo1_1280.pnj

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
75% now!!!!

I really hope this going to do well at the box office. I really want this to be the start of a PCU.

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
For those who have seen it, how appropriate is it for a 6 year old? Any Shazam-like horror elements or long stretches of human only dialogue? I figure pokemon alone will keep him interested but if they aren't actually in the film much he's gonna balk.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
For those who have seen it, how appropriate is it for a 6 year old? Any Shazam-like horror elements or long stretches of human only dialogue? I figure pokemon alone will keep him interested but if they aren't actually in the film much he's gonna balk.

Perfectly suitable for a 6 year old. Unless there's a specific Pokémon that frightens him.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I have to say that Endgame is definitely affecting this movie here in Brazil. Anyway, will watch it in 2 days, really excited.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
75% is perfectly fine for a fun and silly kids targeted pokemon film

Taking my son and I am absolutely positive we will both love it

Plot holes and simple story? Its fucking Pokemon holy shit. Don't care

Apr 19, 2018
As someone who's woefully unfamiliar with Pokemon, save for a few choice monsters and the "Gotta Catch Em All" theme song, I wonder how much I'm going to dig this?

Truthfully, I'm only going by Rob Letterman's directorial credits as a barometer. I really enjoyed the first Goosebumps movie, so I hope he does for Pokemon what he did for GB.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
As someone who's woefully unfamiliar with Pokemon, save for a few choice monsters and the "Gotta Catch Em All" theme song, I wonder how much I'm going to dig this?

Truthfully, I'm only going by Rob Letterman's directorial credits as a barometer. I really enjoyed the first Goosebumps movie, so I hope he does for Pokemon what he did for GB.
You should be alright. Contrary to what some say, you don't need any knowledge of Pokémon for the movie. Yes, some references may be lost on you but they don't impact things

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

Expect an average kids' movie that doesn't take itself seriously.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
the trailers made this out to be a much smarter movie than it actually is. all of the human actors felt like robots delivering their lines. you might be able to dismiss a lot of that stuff as "it's just a kid's movie" but there are tons of kid's movies that still manage to be watchable for adults

the pokemon are cute, but there isn't much here beyond that.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The only thing I can think of is the opening scene will be confusing if you don't know what a Pokeball does. That's a key tool from the animation and video games but I don't think it gets an explanation in the movie. Apart from that, you just need to know Pokemon are animals with superpowers that live alongside humans.

the trailers made this out to be a much smarter movie than it actually is. all of the human actors felt like robots delivering their lines. you might be able to dismiss a lot of that stuff as "it's just a kid's movie" but there are tons of kid's movies that still manage to be watchable for adults

the pokemon are cute, but there isn't much here beyond that.

That depends, how old a children audience are we talking about? I'd say the single digit range, 9 and under. Other kid movies like Harry Potter are targeting a wider spectrum of ages I believe but Detective Pikachu really feels like it's aimed at a much younger audience than Harry Potter or Star Wars.

Last edited:

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
That depends, how old a children audience are we talking about? I'd say the single digit range, 9 and under. Other kid movies like Harry Potter are targeting a wider spectrum of ages I believe but Detective Pikachu really feels like it's aimed at a much younger audience than Harry Potter or Star Wars.

I assume this is aiming for the same audience as movies like Paddington, Lego Movie, How to Train Your Dragon, etc. Those are all far and away better movies than this.