• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Because it does look like the worst idea ever and those 73% on RT (which will be lower at the end of the process), doesn't change a thing.

It's funny people to see some people clinging at what they might perceive as mixed/good reviews like it will save the trainwreck that is this movie. It just looks and sound so bad it hurts.

Cool but you're in a review thread where reviews and review scores get discussed. If you don't want to discuss any of that then you know where the door is.

We get it you don't like it, that's fine. What isn't fine is you trying to shit up this thread because you don't like the idea of the movie, you just come off as a bitter troll.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Because it does look like the worst idea ever and those 73% on RT (which will be lower at the end of the process), doesn't change a thing.

It's funny people to see some people clinging at what they might perceive as mixed/good reviews like it will save the trainwreck that is this movie. It just looks and sound so bad it hurts.
If this isn't bait...

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the criticism of the movie for being only for "pokemon fans" for me the ip is so mainstream than basically most people from our gen is fan of Pokemon, unless the movie goes into ultra hardcore stuff, like jokes that only people who farm shinys and EV will get

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you have to put your faith in Illumination of all studios means it's already a lost cause.

Have their movies ever been outright bad though? Even Minions was more meh than anything.

Yes I know we want gaming films to be more then meh, but baby steps, right?

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Right. People can say they wanted a movie about Ash, Misty, and Brock, but let's be honest. That movie would have been met with a much higher level of scrutiny and suspicion from fans.
ji8dlEd.png

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I get that this is normally overly dismissive, but given that you are arguing about how your perception of something trumps that of everyone else, reviews included, in a review thread...

bbc5bf73860aded8e0c3b156e5256585.jpg

Wolfen

User requested ban
Banned
Apr 27, 2019
User Banned (5 days): trolling over a series of posts, account in junior phase
Cool but you're in a review thread where reviews and review scores get discussed. If you don't want to discuss any of that then you know where the door is.

We get it you don't like it, that's fine. What isn't fine is trying to shit up this thread because you don't like the idea of the movie, you just come off as a bitter troll.

Slow down backseat mod, I'm currently discussing those reviews, don't call the cops. As I said, seeing people clinging to the mixed to good review the movie get in some websites is a sight to behold. I'm giving an opinion about the discussion I saw just one page ago.

Remind me why some people feels like there is a need to be hostile about calling this movie for what it is ? A blatant cash grab and one of the dumbest idea ever ? A talking Pikachu with a big voice isn't one of the dumbest idea ever ? Just repeat it in your head, "a talking Pikachu with a big voice". I feel some got lost at some point or maybe it's Nintendo enthousiast being hurt at someone laughing at a Nintendo-related product ? There's really a defense-force for everything. It's funny and sad at the same time.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Yeah I never get the desire for it.

People want an entire journey in 2 hours? Origins was 88 minutes and rushed to hell. It just wouldn't work
How about a movie about an already traveled, retired, but ultimately failed Pokemon trainer spurred into getting back into the game, getting himself and his Pokemon team into shape for a big cometition against all odds?

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He really has no idea what a Pokemon Gym is lol

Technically as I always understood it the gym trainers that you Battle before the gym leaders are there to train under them and get stronger. We as the player don't see that but yeah that dude was just trying to come off like a expert on the subject matter with a hot take that's off the mark.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
for people who have seen it, did you get Happytime Murders vibes? Is the core of the film basically just a really shitty noir with Pokémon to distract from it, where HM failed because it's only distraction was grimy muppets?

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
User warned: post-count shaming
Slow down backseat mod, I'm currently discussing those reviews, don't call the cops. As I said, seeing people clinging to the mixed to good review the movie get in some websites is a sight to behold. I'm giving an opinion about the discussion I saw just one page ago.

Remind me why some people feels like there is a need to be hostile about calling this movie for what it is ? A blatant cash grab and one of the dumbest idea ever ? A talking Pikachu with a big voice isn't one of the dumbest idea ever ? Just repeat it in your head, "a talking Pikachu with a big voice". I feel some got lost at some point. There's really a defense-force for everything. It's funny and sad at the same time.

Your extremely small post history shows that you are bringing your console warring from the gaming side. Have fun with that.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
How about a movie about an already traveled, retired, but ultimately failed Pokemon trainer spurred into getting back into the game, getting himself and his Pokemon team into shape for a big cometition against all odds?
The possibilities are endless with Pokémon, that's the joy.

It's like Marvel. They can have many stories of many characters in many different styles and still be the same universe

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have their movies ever been outright bad though? Even Minions was more meh than anything.

Yes I know we want gaming films to be more then meh, but baby steps, right?

I'll just be honest and say that I believe all their movies are dogshit, but going by RT scores the only one that got a straight up bad rating was Hop (or, as we know it now, the stealth Sonic the Hedgehog prequel). Still doesn't take away from the fact that, besides Despicable Me 1, their highest rated movies have only scored comparably to what TecChu has now.

Wolfen

User requested ban
Banned
Apr 27, 2019
Your extremely small post history shows that you are bringing your console warring from the gaming side. Have fun with that.

Try to stay on the subject (Detective Pikachu) and not derail the thread to something else, Stevie. You're being childish speaking about console warring that doesn't exist. Thanks.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's like Marvel. They can have many stories of many characters in many different styles and still be the same universe

Like, yeah, on paper that's what would make a Pokemon CU so exciting, but I still got this feeling movie studios haven't cracked that part of the CU code and think that they can just crank the same movie under a different name twice a year and get mad money. It'd get ran into the ground fast like Lego or Disney Star Wars.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Like, yeah, on paper that's what would make a Pokemon CU so exciting, but I still got this feeling movie studios haven't cracked that part of the CU code and think that they can just crank the same movie under a different name twice a year and get mad money. It'd get ran into the ground fast like Lego or Disney Star Wars.
The Pokémon Company wouldn't let it get like that. They're very protective of their brand

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Saw the movie last night. I'm of two minds of Detective Pikachu. I'm tickled by the premise so much, but I thought the story, characters and humor were very weak. Ultimately, I felt it was still worth a watch for how cute some of these renditions of the "realistic" Pokemon are. It's a visual treat for a Pokemon fan that's open to this art style (took a while since reveal for it to grow on me).

Disappointed to report some old-fashioned, uncritical gender-based humor from this movie though. Heads up on some of it if some of y'all are tired and rather not support it or if you'd rather not present it to children in your life until you can pause and talk about it with home video or straight up skip through dialogue:
The movie opens with the lead male human character, Tim, being told by a childhood friend to throw a Pokeball "like a man" when he's unenthusiastic about catching a Pokemon said friend surprised/forced him into doing.

Tim fumbles and bumbles around a young woman reporter (whom later we learn he indeed finds attractive) and it's commented on by PikaReynolds for laughs in tiring ways; PikaReynolds attempts to coach Tim on "what women want men to act like", or something to that effect.

The only other notable women in the movie besides the young reporter is Rita Ora playing a small, bland cameo (what a waste!) and a henchwoman always wearing sunglasses with no lines who turns out to be a Ditto.

Hopefully a sequel can clean that up and pass the should-be low bar of The Bechdel Test, cause despite the rest of the weak writing, I'd continue watching this series off of style/visuals alone.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll just be honest and say that I believe all their movies are dogshit, but going by RT scores the only one that got a straight up bad rating was Hop (or, as we know it now, the stealth Sonic the Hedgehog prequel). Still doesn't take away from the fact that, besides Despicable Me 1, their highest rated movies have only scored comparably to what TecChu has now.

Oh dont get me wrong, I don't have much faith in the company either, but the story beats are so basic (knight, princess, dragon) that not even they can screw it up.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I never get the desire for it.

People want an entire journey in 2 hours? Origins was 88 minutes and rushed to hell. It just wouldn't work

This is shocking to hear from you.

Sequels from the beginning of the journey to its end. Give each movie a set amount of gyms with a sub plot surrounding the gyms in that movie with a slow build up to overall bigger plot.

Put in some comedy, life lessons, character progression, wins, loses, heartache and there you go.

It can be done. I just beat a 100 hour JRPG and it ended on a cliffhanger which was simply FANTASTIC!

I WANT POKÉMON BATTLES! I hope Detective Pikachu brings in the profit for a Red journey movie.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hey, hey... that failed Pokemon trainer trying to redeem himself?

What if it's Ash?

ok just kidding... OR AM I?!

Nah I'm kiddin' for reals, such a movie would be better off with an OC.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan

Remind me why some people feels like there is a need to be hostile about calling this movie for what it is ? A blatant cash grab and one of the dumbest idea ever ? A talking Pikachu with a big voice isn't one of the dumbest idea ever ? Just repeat it in your head, "a talking Pikachu with a big voice". I feel some got lost at some point or maybe it's Nintendo enthousiast being hurt at someone laughing at a Nintendo-related product ? There's really a defense-force for everything. It's funny and sad at the same time.
I think the issue with this take is that your subjective reaction to the movie and its premise is running at-odds with the objective information you're presenting. People are "clinging to the mixed to good reviews" and yet two sentences later you're railing on the film as a "blatant cash grab and one of the dumbest ideas ever" as though these are all factual.

But...taking your opinion on it as truth, then that means that even a film based on the dumbest idea ever...is still ranging from ok to good in the eyes of critics? What does that say of the quality of ideas for all the movies that have been much worse-received than this, including the majority of video game-IP films? If the premise is really as terrible as you want it to be, should it not be getting roundly panned? Or are the critics all just part of the "defense force" if they think the movie is alright, not amazing, and not terrible? It's not like this is being discussed in the same vein as the Emoji Movie or the like. Even if it doesn't wind up being the savior of video game movies like people hoped for, it definitely could have been much worse, but you're reacting as though this is unquestionably rock bottom. It's incongruous.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed to report some old-fashioned, uncritical gender-based humor from this movie though. Heads up on some of it if some of y'all are tired and rather not support it or if you'd rather not present it to children in your life until you can pause and talk about it with home video or straight up skip through dialogue:
That's really dissapointing to hear, thank you for informing.

Your impressions seem very fair and basically what I was expecting from the movie, fun to watch the mons on screen with a more or less passable story, nothing that would necessarily make me personally go out to the theaters on day one to see.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Pokémon Company wouldn't let it get like that. They're very protective of their brand

Are you sure that's what their protectiveness would result in? Feel like that same protectiveness could easily manifest in them trying to keep future films from coloring to far outside the lines set by TecChu in the name of protecting the brand.

Oh dont get me wrong, I don't have much faith in the company either, but the story beats are so basic (knight, princess, dragon) that not even they can screw it up.

If anything, I feel that simplicity is what's gonna damn the movie. Just too much space for them to fill in and therefore too much stuff for them to muck up. Mario just isn't an IP suited for a big screen feature, I feel. The franchise is meant to be simple and adaptable like Mickey Mouse or Looney Tunes, and there's a reason Disney's never made a feature length theatrical Mickey movie and why everybody grimaced the second they announced Space Jam 2.

MC has always been subpar compared to RT for movies, donnow why some people are suddenly giving it so much weight

Nah, there's always a contingent of folks in review threads who come out just to bash RT percentages and lionize score aggregates like MC for being "more accurate" because they apparently think that reviewers use the same objective scale to score all their movies.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Think it's probably going to end up around 68% when all is said and done

MC has always been subpar compared to RT for movies, donnow why some people are suddenly giving it so much weight

Probably because it's a videogame movie so it's attracting more people that don't follow movie reviews? I'd give people the benefit of the doubt for now, I would have thought the same way.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
It seems most of the Top Critics on RT didn't like it and the ones coming in since have been more positive. It only got 3/10 of the Top Critics.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Did no one noticed 8 reviews out of 34 were removed, and bumped the score down back to 68% on RT?

Edit:

Wait, it's 70% out of 37 reviews... Something tells me RT is fuzzying the numbers.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

If this is successful, I need that fighting type tournament episode from the show writ large. Except instead of just a fighting type it's a fighting type and their trainer in the ring together facing the same.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel the biggest limitation with Pokemon is they're probably gonna play it safe when it comes to the Pokemon Stars.

Like I can't imagine them selling a film where the main Pokemon can't talk. Also they'll probably not gonna do a MCU-style risk with, like, say making someone like Golem the lead.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
This is shocking to hear from you.

Sequels from the beginning of the journey to its end. Give each movie a set amount of gyms with a sub plot surrounding the gyms in that movie with a slow build up to overall bigger plot.

Put in some comedy, life lessons, character progression, wins, loses, heartache and there you go.

It can be done. I just beat a 100 hour JRPG and it ended on a cliffhanger which was simply FANTASTIC!

I WANT POKÉMON BATTLES! I hope Detective Pikachu brings in the profit for a Red journey movie.

They confirmed a Detective Pikachu sequel by the same director as Sonic though. Going by Pokemon battles being outlawed it seems like they don't really want to go that route. This one seems to work largely because it allows Reynolds to do his thing, and im not sure a solo kid lead as Red could be very good.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
The Pokemon Cinematic Universe, now that would be cool.
It's certainly doable, and the main advantage it would have, I think, is that it would look very different from the MCU.

The appeal of comic book universes like the MCU is seeing all the different characters bump into each other and team up. Pokemon isn't really like that. You don't need to try to build up to some big crossover clusterfuck like Marvel did. The appeal of Pokemon is the discovery and sense of adventure from seeing humans exist alongside these creatures. That means you can tell different types of stories in this world and have it all fit together easily because the Pokemon themselves are the connective tissue.

I think that's what's interesting about starting with Detective Pikachu if they do intend to make it a universe; since Tim and Pikachu are detectives, you can throw them into just about any situation in this world and have it make sense as long as there is a mystery to solve. That makes it easy to expand the world beyond Ryme city without needing to throw too much at the audience at once.

Wanna to set up a movie about Ash? Maybe Professor Oak hears about Tim and Detective Pikachu and asks them to assist Ash with some problem.

Wanna do Pokemon Ranger? Tim and Detective Pikachu are called by the Rangers of the Galar Region to help solve a mystery surrounding kidnapped Pokemon.

Wanna introduce Team Rocket (and I mean THE Team Rocket; you know the ones)? Well, they're criminals. They can be the villains in the next movie.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, a movie about THE Team Rocket trio would great :V
And they have their own talking Pokemon

And a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon film pls :D