• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RezVr2

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed people that use metacritic in movie review threads have agendas and it's always the negative kind of agenda.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The guy from AP is super off the mark when he says this: "This one just feels like a venal money grab from a mega corporation."

A money grab is something done with no love, care or thought about the property, which is not at all how I would describe the film. If the film makes money, it will be deserved.
I think he's probably really on the mark, but it' still incredibly hilarious.

Like, welcome to mainstream blockbuster movies 101.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people are confusing this with video game scores. A movie sitting at 71% on RT is a good movie. It won't be winning any Best Picture awards, but that's still a very good score for a movie.

Of course, there's still plenty more reviews to go so things could change.

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Metacritic weights different outlets higher and lower than one another.

The RT% and average score /10 on Rottentomatoes is more accurate

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Up to 71% on RT.

Love it or hate it, seems like people care more about RT than Metacritic.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Consensus is also up:
Sounds great to me. I wasn't expecting an amazing movie; the fact that this isn't a complete disaster is actually rather remarkable.

EDIT: Posting this now before you guys reference it:

o2FiwVn.jpg

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Just wait. Sonic movie is going to top that RT score to become the greatest videogame movie ever made.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes they added two reviews and it went up a couple percentage points because they might have been positive. It's best to check tomorrow morning or in a few hours for an actual consensus. Usually films have positive score at first before dropping some.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So it's only really for Pokemon fans. That's to be expected, every one I've talked to who's interested into were into Pokemon at some point. Everyone else just see it as a weird kids movie.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Exactly what I expected reviews to look like. An average/ mixed reception. Don't know why anyone expected otherwise. (Just talking about review scores here, obviously personal/ audience opinion might be different)

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I was going to make a joke about Illumination's Mario movie easily passing Detective Pikachu on RT, but I looked at their past couple movies, and I'm not so sure anymore.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing. I was hoping it would review a bit better than this. Guess they didn't put as much care into the script and main mystery as they did the rest of the film. Shame.

Edit: Of course, there's always the chance I'll strongly disagree with the consensus once I see it. For example, my personal opinion of the awful Marvel movies couldn't be much more different from that of the critics.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I can't take the reviews seriously when their excerpts are terrible, played-out puns.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
The anime beat it by a couple of weeks in the US, but mostly as a way to promote the game. I still remember the Nintendo Power VHS tape that had a preview of an episode
Andre, is this a case of "You need to have a basic knowledge of Pokemon to kinda enjoy this film" or "Hey, the film sucks, but since people willenjoy the cute Pikachu with Reynold's voice"

Antoo

May 1, 2019

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like a lot of Shazam reviews -- skewing more towards 'a movie for kids' than a 'kid-able movie'. Nothing wrong with that, although it seems like that's less than people expected.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Where are you getting the data that confirms this fact? Do you have proof they wake up everyday being like "fuck that damn yellow rat I'll get my revenge when they make a movie about you >:)"?

Anecdotal evidence here, but it wasn't exactly uncommon to see older generations shift from complaining about kids staying indoors all the time to getting angry about seeing kids getting exercise, fresh air and making new friends simply because of Pokemon Go.

If there was one thing trendier than people playing PG, it was making it clear how much you despised PG and everyone that was playing it.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Just got back from it (it started today in Japan) and I have to say I really enjoyed it.
Definitely a movie that kids can also enjoy, although I feel they might get bored during some of the slower moments.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is so mild.

Some of you guys are overreacting. Feels like you want it to be worst
It's a bit annoying that some people are ignoring it's currently fresh and by far the best RT score for a videogame movie. Feels like some people here think movie reviews are like videogames where anything below 8/10 average is trash. lol

This + the usual "lol who cares about critics !!" makes for a bad thread.

RezVr2

Oct 27, 2017
Looked it up and saw nothing backing up that statement. If anything, it seems like older audiences enjoy the series.

https://medium.com/@sm_app_intel/po...g-player-mix-of-a-smash-hit-game-b9099d5527b7

https://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/01/pokemons-audience-growing-older/

Also, keep in mind more than half of the critics on RT aren't even baby boomers.

Okay. Was talking about broadcast television and I grew up in Texas which means Fox news but yeah... articles on the internet are right I guess.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yup, I fuuuucking knew it. All the bad reviews basically boil down to "what the heck is a Pokeyman, 1 star."

Good that it's doing better on balance than I thought though, I was worried it'd be 40s-50s. I hope it stays fresh.