• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Gonna save yall some time now that the Sonic director publicly gave up and went back to the drawing board. When that comes out (sure doesn't look like it's this year lol), take this

VoRg0mN.png

and move all the Mixed to the Negative

If this couldn't break the games film curse nothing can. Adjust expectations accordingly for the stuff that already looks like trash like Sonic, you won't be disappointed

Oct 28, 2017
I still believe it has the potential to do big numbers at the box-office, I think Pokemon has enough appeal to mainstream audiences to do it.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
The trailers were pretty freaking wack tbh, but pikachu is really cute and the property will make it do pretty good

Lmao at ppl thinking its gonna do a billion tho

May 10, 2018
Reviews don't surprise me. I personally didn't care to see a detective Pikachu adaptation but I get that its probably the easiest way to go about it. The main actor is also that annoying dude from Jurassic World 2.

Even though i'm not into Pokemon anymore I still have a fondness for it due to nostalgia but I can admit that i'm not that excited for it and the trailers didn't change that.

Still interested to see how it does at the box office because unlike a lot of posters here I don't think it's going to be as major as people think.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like most movie critics are gonna be too elitist to give a Pokemon movie/video game movie a true fair shake.

I'm still expecting a decent RT score but yeah it's not surprising to see some reviewers not like it. I feel like the people who grew up playing Pokemon aren't the majority of critics in this case.

A huge swath of movie reviewers writing online today grew up playing Pokémon. Time is a motherfucker.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm. Trailer sold me and I'm exactly the undereducated audience the reviews are talking about.

You don't need to be a Pokémon fan to like it--I'm not and I liked it--but does the idea of a live-action Pokémon movie sound cool to you even if you're not a fan? If it does, then I think you'll like it.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Whether it's here or on the gaming side, I never understood why threads like these call into question the authenticity of the reviews when they're less than stellar. If you read the reviews and feel like the criticisms won't bother you, that's fine, but to say things to try to undermine the legitimacy of the author's opinion is just pathetic.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Are yall reading the reviews? The EW review is probably the most scathing of the bunch and it still landed a C+.

I don't know where the defensiveness is coming from. Most critics are saying it's just....fine. "Fine but better if you're a fan" to be more accurate. Then you have places like Collider and IGN praising the movie unambiguously.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
The trailers were pretty freaking wack tbh, but pikachu is really cute and the property will make it do pretty good

Lmao at ppl thinking its gonna do a billion tho
Yeah seriously. I was predicting in the range of $600m if it's well received. I think it'll still make it there. But I have no box office knowledge.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are yall reading the reviews? The EW review is probably the most scathing of the bunch and it still landed a C+.

I don't know where the defensiveness is coming from. Most critics are saying it's just....fine. "Fine but better if you're a fan" to be more accurate. Then you have places like Collider and IGN praising the movie unambiguously.
That's what I'm saying, the reviews actually seem to be positive if you read them lol

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to be a Pokémon fan to like it--I'm not and I liked it--but does the idea of a live-action Pokémon movie sound cool to you even if you're not a fan? If it does, then I think you'll like it.

No but the idea in the trailer looked great to me. Maybe that's the same thing to be fair. But Pokémon and Dragonball and Speed Racer are unusual holes in my cultural tapestry.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Whether it's here or on the gaming side, I never understood why threads like these call into question the authenticity of the reviews when they're less than stellar. If you read the reviews and feel like the criticisms won't bother you, that's fine, but to say things to try to undermine the legitimacy of the author's opinion is just pathetic.

Heh yeah I was just saying that in that recent Days Gone accolades trailer, glad I'm not alone in this thought!

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Seems like Warcraft. Clearly a lot put into the production design. However, the script is really shallow. If you are a fan, you can connect the dots and really get a kick out seeing a lot of the Pokémon. However, it does not provide newcomers enough to get invested (something like Harry Potter did instantly).

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

Agreed completely. Also far too often fans of the brand are too biased to see legitimate criticisms that can be (and usually are) in these film adaptations

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I mean, yes you made it clear that you dislike it. So much so that you are taking the mixed reviews as proof that it's absolute garbage and are using it as pure vindictive bile to make sure others feel bad for daring to enjoy something you don't.

Nah, that was my opinion. Anyone else can enjoy it how they want.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Anything that's a 60 or above on Metacritic is a fresh rating on RT. So 6 out of the 13 reviews there would be fresh reviews. The 3 fresh reviews right now aren't on Metacritic so it'd be at 9 fresh reviews out of 16. It'd still have a rotten score, but it's on the verge of freshness.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like Warcraft. Clearly a lot put into the production design. However, the script is really shallow. If you are a fan, you can connect the dots and really get a kick out seeing a lot of the Pokémon. However, it does not provide newcomers enough to get invested (something like Harry Potter did instantly).

Warcraft was great, and the fact that we're probably never getting a sequel saddens me. Probably my favorite "magic" visuals in any movie. I loved how the spells looked.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I don't think it's possible to make a video game movie with self referral humor and in jokes that doesn't confuse people who don't understand it.

Like one of the main characters is Psyduck, who gets catastrophic headaches that awaken latent psychic abilities inside of it. Pokémon fans know this. Everyone else just thinks it's a weird fat duck and the headaches are weirdly relevant I guess? And a joke about how Jigglypuff puts people to sleep by singing, and then gets frustrated when her audience sleeps, doesn't require any explanation to Pokémon fans, but to onlookers the joke doesn't go anywhere, but explaining it would drag on and be pretty boring. Imagine spending time having to explain that people are afraid of Mewtwo and he's a very big deal because he's a genetically modified super Pokémon born from the DNA of the ancestor of all Pokémon, using research funded by the Pokémon Mafia. You'd have to recap the entire first movie for context around what a Mewtwo is and why he's important.

I'm just not sure it's possible without sacrificing fan service or wasting time on explanations for things a large part of your intended audience are already quite familiar with.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tomb Raider and Mortal Kombat are absolutely fine. And Pacific Rim is secretly the best and most earnest anime movie, period.
Not even close to being true in a world with Speed Racer in it!

Anyway, MK is what this Pokemon movie seems to be, decent if you're a fan of the video games.

Oct 25, 2017
I know the alt-right latched themselves onto Alita into an attempt to shit on Captain Marvel but I still stan Alita.

Hopefully I will love this.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Prince Of Persia too. I feel like it's impossible to turn video game story into a good movie because you need the longevity of the gameplay to get people engaged with the setting and story.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

That's what I got from reading the reviews. "It's okay but better if you like Pokémon" seems to be the consensus.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think people here are also applying game review expectations to film, where a 5/10 is actually considered middle of the road.

Yes this is important as well.

Ea4Fiw2.png

Movie reviews tend to use a wider range of scores than gaming.

I don't even look at movie scores now that Rotten Tomatoes exists. Why hem and haw over what that 63 or 72 really means when I can just look at RT and see a simple percentage of how many critics think it's worth a watch?

Because then Avengers and Schindler's List seem to be about the same quality of film.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

It's reviewing far better than Warcraft did.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like most movie critics are gonna be too elitist to give a Pokemon movie/video game movie a true fair shake.

I'm still expecting a decent RT score but yeah it's not surprising to see some reviewers not like it. I feel like the people who grew up playing Pokemon aren't the majority of critics in this case.
Bruh the most profitable movie of the year is the one where several heroes fight things while wearing spandex and the most watched tv show was the one that felt like a DnD match with an especially cool dungeon master.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I suppose it was a pipe dream to hope it'd be in the green for Metacritic. Nonetheless, promising results so far.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's possible to make a video game movie with self referral humor and in jokes that doesn't confuse people who don't understand it.

Like one of the main characters is Psyduck, who gets catastrophic headaches that awaken latent psychic abilities inside of it. Pokémon fans know this. Everyone else just thinks it's a weird fat duck and the headaches are weirdly relevant I guess? And a joke about how Jigglypuff puts people to sleep by singing, and then gets frustrated when her audience sleeps, doesn't require any explanation to Pokémon fans, but to onlookers the joke doesn't go anywhere, but explaining it would drag on and be pretty boring. Imagine spending time having to explain that people are afraid of Mewtwo and he's a very big deal because he's a genetically modified super Pokémon born from the DNA of the ancestor of all Pokémon, using research funded by the Pokémon Mafia. You'd have to recap the entire first movie for context around what a Mewtwo is and why he's important.

I'm just not sure it's possible without sacrificing fan service or wasting time on explanations for things a large part of your intended audience are already quite familiar with.

Wait is all this in detective pikachu?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews I read indicate very mixed reviews and one positive on metacritic. It's not looking that good. Sure, I haven't seen it and the reviews aren't finalized but a 50 doesn't break this video game movie curse and nor will it make the "best video game movie of all time".
Do you even know what's the best reviewed Video game movie is? It's a very low bar.

I mean regardless. It seems right away you hated the movie the moment you saw the designs (not even the plot/concept). Just the design and made up your mind.

I disliked the Director and casting of Ryan the second it was announced. But I'm remaining open minded until I personally see it. You Probably should do the same and not be so hyperbolic with your comments.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Seeing the reviews criticize the screenplay is interesting considering WB and Legendary already brought in a new screenwriter for the sequel. Maybe they saw the same problems critics are seeing? Or maybe the other screenwriters just weren't available?

I'm sure the other major player in this, The Pokemon Company, will just be happy when the movie makes money and becomes yet another piece of their massive machine.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I can agree with the reviews, but I had a lot of fun with it.
Like I said, tonally, it felt very similar to Shazam!, in that it absolutely embraces what it is and has a lot of heart.

The main actress was horrible though. Justice Smith was serviceable, though his range was limited. Kathryn Newton felt like she was playing a Nickelodeon role though.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't even look at movie scores now that Rotten Tomatoes exists. Why hem and haw over what that 63 or 72 really means when I can just look at RT and see a simple percentage of how many critics think it's worth a watch?

The original Avengers has like a 67 on Metacritic. RottenTomatoes gives a far better idea of how audiences will respond to a film.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Warcraft was amazing, and the fact that we're probably never getting a sequel saddens me. Probably my favorite "magic" visuals in any movie.
I'm not going to dispute the fact that the visuals were outstanding. The movie actually made me kind of interested in exploring some of the games but that's just it. It intrigued me but I felt like the movie only works if you are deep into Warcraft lore.

There were like 10+ characters and the human protagonist literally disappears for a good chunk of the movie. The wizard guy is literally in one scene near the beginning and has a huge character shift that comes out of nowhere.It jumped around and was all over the place.

If you are a fan, I'm sure you already know these characters so you are fine with just seeing them on the big screen. However, newcomers like me just sit there and feel overwhelmed. It feels like it condensed 5 major story arcs into one movie.