• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I feel like a lot of you are coming in here and looking at the number without actually reading any reviews.
The reviews aren't great, but they aren't exactly scathing either. And some of them are legit positive lol.

They point out problems with the screenplay and some of the performances, but generally praise Reynolds, the effects and worldbuilding, and some admit they think fans will ultimately enjoy it.

This ain't the old BvS review thread folks. lol

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The designs are soooooo bad and disturbing.
detective-pikachu-uhdpaper.com-4K-31.jpg

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
You're really missing the point.

But am I? Why are the designs so bad? They copy pasted actual dodgeballs for Mr Mime. It's bad for me but if you like it then all the power to you. I just dont think it looks any good. We need designs close to something like Pokken if anything. This movie has nightmare fuel designs. I very much dislike it.

Oct 26, 2017
Ha I never really thought about a critics reaction to some of the silly pokemon traits given to them over the last 20+ years. Be like wait why does that one sing people to sleep and get mad.

Our kids are literally counting down the days so we are stoked to see it.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
But am I? Why are the designs so bad? They copy pasted actual dodgeballs for Mr Mime. It's bad for me but if you like it then all the power to you. I just dont think it looks any good. We need designs close to something like Pokken if anything. This movie has nightmare fuel designs. I very much dislike it.
I wonder what you think of the sonic design if these are already nightmare fuel lol.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Zootopia has many of the same types of jokes DP does with the nature of each creature being the crux of the joke; the only real difference is that everyone is familiar with animals, whereas that clearly isn't the case with Pokemon.
Yeah I think that might be the main problem. There's too many pokes for your average film critic, they probably can't even recite the PokeRap.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic at 50, huh.

The video game curse is eternal.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean some people were saying it would be the best video game movie of all time and break the box office weren't they? I dont take comments seriously on here but wow.

Seems like you just have an axe to grind with this movie.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
The sense I kind of get looking over some of the reviews and descriptions, I start to wonder what critical reception would have been like for a movie critic to walk into Avengers Infinity War and/or Endgame who had no real foreknowledge and without ten years of prior movies to gradually introduce characters, settings, and tropes. Would they hate so much of the writing being referential to the qualities of these heroes that they lack the background knowledge of? That's what this kind of sounds like to me, where the writing kind of assumes that the viewer is already at least decently familiar with pokemon and some of their typical qualities, and may not take the time to take the hand of the fully uninitiated.

That's a fair criticism to throw at this movie's feet, though hopefully these reviews' readers are aware of that. Either way it sounds like even if you are familiar with the pokemon themselves, the writing isn't very standout, which is a shame. I'm still plenty curious and excited to see it myself, but this helps to set my expectations going in.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Couldn't care less about these reviews. I'm seeing it regardless. Reviewers are wrong all the time and honestly most of the hate seems to be.... Pokemon in general. Makes no sense to me.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So it's a Pokemon movie that Pokemon fans will like but non-Pokemon fans won't like as much

Some real revolutionary takes we got here

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
deweydefeatstruman.jpg

Still plenty of time and reviews coming, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

lol I'm fine with that but the post I'm quoting literally says the movie is reviewing well when the (limited) reviews so far hint otherwise. Don't know why you're responding to me rather than the post I'm quoting. There's a lot of defensiveness in this thread.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
break the videogame curse, they said

it'll get more game adaptations to happen, they said

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I said after seeing it that I was lowering my expectations of its B.O. performance due to what I perceived to be a potential lack of mainstream appeal--I don't think people who don't care about Pokémon will like it very much. But I believe most people who do will like it. That's a lot of people, but not quite enough to be the huge hit I envisioned it to be.

I could be wrong though. I know someone else who saw it and she doesn't know anything about Pokémon, and she liked it, but predictably, the part I liked best is the part she liked least, because it's full-on Pokémon action. That might be a bit off-putting to general audiences.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
None of these reviewers are bashing on Pokemon lmao. Some of y'all are really easily pleased with fan service. These people are judging the film itself.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yes you are.

My point is you made up your mind in calling the designs bad when it's reviving acclaim by most critics/people. This isn't a "I think it's bad so Its bad in general". You're comments are really hyperbolic and At least read the reviews.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Reviews don't spark confidence that this will be the blockbuster a handful of posters thought. Not much casual appeal if the detective mystery story sucks.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
break the videogame curse, they said

it'll get more game adaptations to happen, they said
Well, it will....They'll all just be Pokemon movies after this one is successful enough to justify more.

Other game franchises are still screwed. Except Mario whenever that comes out, I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about what I expected for better or worse. A serviceable Pokemon adaption for fans, but a harder sell for a film on it's own merits.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I think this will probably end up above 50 on RT. I don't expect 95 or anything crazy like that, but that's fine.

This is sounding good overall and I'll definitely be seeing this.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I feel like most movie critics are gonna be too elitist to give a Pokemon movie/video game movie a true fair shake.

I'm still expecting a decent RT score but yeah it's not surprising to see some reviewers not like it. I feel like the people who grew up playing Pokemon aren't the majority of critics in this case.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I still think this movie has the potential to be big, but I must admit that I wasn't expecting this mixed critical reception.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, yes you made it clear that you dislike it. So much so that you are taking the mixed reviews as proof that it's absolute garbage and are using it as pure vindictive bile to make sure others feel bad for daring to enjoy something you don't.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. Trailer sold me and I'm exactly the undereducated audience the reviews are talking about.

I thought it looked charming and fun and not reliant on lore at all.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
As a die-hard fan I'm in completely. Every fan I've seen impressions from seemed to love it so I'm confident I'll like it.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Yes you are.

My point is you made up your mind in calling the designs bad when it's reviving acclaim by most critics/people. This isn't a "I think it's bad so Its bad in general". You're comments are really hyperbolic and At least read the reviews.

Reviews I read indicate very mixed reviews and one positive on metacritic. It's not looking that good. Sure, I haven't seen it and the reviews aren't finalized but a 50 doesn't break this video game movie curse and nor will it make the "best video game movie of all time".