• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping for better reviews but sounds like some of these critics were just simply lost with regards to pokemon

We'll break the curse one day

I really don't get why critics who have no interest in the Pokemon IP, review a movie about Pokemon...

It's supposed to be an accessible movie I thought, seems silly to say that critics who aren't familiar/interested in Pokemon should not bother reviewing it

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Still extremely hyped for this film, but I was never excited at the idea of Ryan Reynolds voicing a constantly quipping talking Pikachu.

I like what I've seen in the trailers. The caffiene addiction is genuinely funny to me. Just hearing Ryan Reynolds voice coming out of a cute, fluffy critter is off putting to me.

Guess it could have been worse. It could have been Seth McFarlane.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And someone told me the studio bumped the embargo up because they were confident in the film...

giphy.gif

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, shame that this might not break the video game movie curse,. Oh well, glad I'll get the film since I'm a huge fan :P

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Always thought it would be absolute garbage. Dunno what ERA saw in it. The designs are soooooo bad and disturbing. The jokes were the absolute worst.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Shaking out about how I thought it would.

Impressions from early screenings suggest audiences might like it a bit more than critics.

It does seem if you have no history with the games/characters, it'll definitely make less of an impact. As a fan of the original games, I found it endearing. And I really don't even care about Pokemon all that much these days.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted this movie to also please non-pokémon fans somehow. Such a shame.

Anyway, still really excited to watch it since I'm a big fan.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
Pokémon has always been divisive with critics outside of the main games so this doesn't come as a great surprise to me. I enjoy the movies to this day and most of them are below 20% on RottenTomatoes, and I love the Mystery Dungeon series and it constantly gets bad reviews.

Plus, it has a realistic Braviary. No movie can be bad that has a realistic Braviary. Day one, even if RT score is at 0%.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I feel like a lot of you are coming in here and looking at the number without actually reading any reviews.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still excited, reviews weaker than I would have thought but it seems like it didn't transfer to outside fandom super well according to the mainstream critics.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't get why critics who have no interest in the Pokemon IP, review a movie about Pokemon...
The burden of making the uniniated audience engaged to the said material fell unto the movie, not the audience. And this movie doesn't seem to bother to do so and just assume everyone is already into Pokemon.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This quote from Indiewire is weird, it reads to me like they think there's a joke there but there actually isn't and it's just a Cubone

It's not surprising that so much of the humor in "Detective Pikachu" relies on previous knowledge of the monsters that populate it, but it does grate that those jokes are so one-note. What's the gag about Cubone? He's sad, dramatic, cries a lot, wears his mother's skull as a hat. That's it. That's the joke.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always thought it would be absolute garbage. Dunno what ERA saw in it. The designs are soooooo bad and disturbing. The jokes were the absolute worst.

Who says its grabage, and the desings and effects are being praised almost by all critics.

Oct 26, 2017
"It seems that this particular game of Pokémon needed more time at the gym. Yes, that's a "Pokémon Go" reference, and if you can't follow it, don't bother."

What.

What.

Why do a reference if you... you don't understand the reference.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for the RT to update and be added to the title so that the weird ass hot takes can stop lol.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I lol'd at
"It seems that this particular game of Pokémon needed more time at the gym. Yes, that's a "Pokémon Go" reference, and if you can't follow it, don't bother."

Acting like a gym is osbcure or a go original.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the movie will swing a good tomatoe score, the tone of the reviews seem pretty positive

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It sounds like most of the negativity is coming from people who just don't like Pokemon tbh

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

What.

What.

Why do a reference if you... you don't understand the reference.
The sort of reviewer who would insist on putting "bodyslam" in a headline about any story involving professional wrestling.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Boomers that still think Pokemon is a fad will drag the scores down.

And the movie won´t even flinch. Gotta Sell them All!

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not for non Pokemon fans?

5bc.gif

Can't wait, I dreamed of this movie since I was 6