• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Godly!

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Pokémon is going to conquer movies like they've conquered everything else.
Amazing how many people were calling this a flop until just recently.

I could understand the early skepticism - I had some - but as soon as that first trailer dropped and was mostly met with positive reception (even people who are still skeptical mostly going "well, it doesn't look like a total dumpster fire") it was a done deal. This movie's going to be massive.

In fact I have to wonder how much thought is being given to a wide US release for Movie 22 (which is a CGI remake of the first movie). Seems like going the Fathom Events route as they've done with recent movies would be a missed opportunity, gotta strike while the iron's hot. It'll have this, Gen 8 launch/hype, nostalgia and continued Pokémon Go success to bank on.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Pikachu is the guys dad who got turned into a pokemon because he knew toooooo much
people can't understand pokemon so its the perfect thing to do cause they all look alike

we are in for a feel trip

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Anybody else didn't like it?
First trailer was really good though...
This trailer sadly not so.. Pikachu hitting the guy with his tail like 3 times, first time wasn't even funny.
I get that this is aimed at a very young age group but I don't think they will pull of something like Paddington.
I expected a little bit more, story looks pretty generic after this trailer.

2 times. Don't exaggerate to make a point.
I thought it was funny, because he's doing a dramatic turn at every deduction, thinking himself as sherlock holmes, but forgetting he has a tail.

But, explaining jokes will never make them funny. If all of the jokes so far (and visuals for that matter) did not click with you, give up, that's the movie. Maybe the next reboot.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Thank you for this, I clicked on the OP's link (which is in India) and when I looked into the comments section I was like..uhhhh...where am I!?.

Not sure how I feel about the movie, it just seems overly hokey and the CGI is just...throwing me off, it just seems out of place and the humor seems overtly forced.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Looks amazing, can't believe how good the Pokemon are.
The only disappointing thing is how they really are just using the game's main mystery case, twists and all.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Whats this!?! Gen 4!?!?

How on earth did this make it past Game Freak?!?!/s
giphy.gif

On topic: This movie continues to look fucking amazing, can't believe Detective Pikachu is among my top 5 most anticipated movies of 2019. Hopefully tomorrow's reveal will be just as amazing as well. Pokémon as a brand is so fucking strong it's not even funny.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If the new Pokémon game that's coming this year is also set in London, I wonder if its marketing will try to do some synergy with the movie's marketing. Like, I'm wondering if the game will have very specific things taken straight from the movie, such as the pokémon that was doing traffic control, for example.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I spot a non-Gen 1 Pokemon, I'm happy lol

That said, first time in a looooong time I've been hyped to see Mewtwo

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
If I was a kid, I'd be absolutely dead watching this trailer.

As an adult, I'm still absolutely dead. It looks real good.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dude this could take the crown for best video game movie

Like hot damn only took us 30 years
Who has the crown now? The original Pokemon movie may or may not count depending on who you ask, and the other ones that come to mind like Tomb Radar or Resident Evil aren't exactly contenders.

ThatDudeGuy

Oct 31, 2017
Not a huge Pokemon fan, but daaaaamn. The trailer makes this a must-see. I'm absolutely amazed that the folks behind it managed to make it look funny, mysterious, and campy without turning me off of it.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Who has the crown now? The original Pokemon movie may or may not count depending on who you ask, and the other ones that come to mind like Tomb Radar or Resident Evil aren't exactly contenders.

I dunno I would have to ruminate over the entire list and to be fair I haven't seen every video game movie thats been made

Time to marathon a few! For Science!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not even the best Pokemon movie which is probably the third one, and which is still just decent (though for a video game movie, that's pretty good lol)