• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Still no Dolby Vision? Atmos? Come on Sony.

a 40 dollar firestick 4k supports dolby vision in streaming apps.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah the wording for Prime and a few other apps is weird, but it could also mean that they're indeed coming to PS5 on day 1. Crunchyroll confirmed for launch is nice.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Sucks that they are again partnered with Spotify, apparently. I wish I could use Youtube Music instead.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
I'd be upset at no Hulu or Prime day 1 if I didn't have a Roku. I've been toying with the idea of getting HBO Max since it feels like we are running out of shows to watch, but now I'll have to wait for the PS5 to get it since nothing else in my house will run that app.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Day one? I read the OP and it says coming soon.

And if it is there day one maybe the OP should be updated. On the last page 6 or 7 people have commented that Prime is missing.
Says "Additional streaming apps* coming to PS5 include Amazon Prime Video, MyCanal, Hulu, Peacock, and more." on the blog post but I guess it's not specific when.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
No HBO Max yet is a bummer but not surprising when you consider that they STILL don't even have an updated app for things like Fire TV. I can cast it to my TV but my wife and I mainly use our PS4 for streaming apps since we can use headphones.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

So this gives a hint that there are other apps that were not listed...

Also I think alot more folks might start using their PS5 for media...even over their usual products. I'm guessing it is going to be so fast loading and browsing these apps....switching between apps, because of the PS5's tech. Some with newer TVs (eARC) with fast OSes might stick with their devices. (C9 for me). We'll see.

And for those worried about Dolby Atmos support for media, I'd comfortably would bet on that. Vision... I'm not sure.. there are alot of players and devices that don't support Vision. But hopefully, if Sony is going to pay for Atmos for support of their 4K BluRay Player..and BluRays and Apps.... they might as well pay for Vision.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Dumb question but does anyone ever use the apps through their consoles?

I've got apps for this on my PS4, 4K blu ray and Now the next gen get these too. But these are all also available on my TV.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. No HBO means I may have to refrain from selling my PS4 pro.

I have a TCL tv so I can't get HBO Max anywhere but my PS4 or Chromecast. The Chromecast works fine but I much prefer the UI for Max on the console.

Oct 25, 2017
Glad the media is separate from the games. Kind of doubt I'll use it a lot since I have an Apple TV connected to the same tv.

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
I used to use the apps on my PS4 until I realised YouTube and Netflix will look better on the native TV apps since they won't have game mode on.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
PSA: If your streaming service of choice is not supported it's almost certainly because they haven't finished developing their app yet. They will come.
I think many are forgetting these apps need to be developed for the new OS/UI. Its not some copy & paste job.

I've got apps for this on my PS4, 4K blu ray and Now the next gen get these too. But these are all also available on my TV.
I asked this earlier. I only use my TV native apps, haven't used the console apps since before I got this smart TV.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Here's your answer, even with a poll, haha

www.resetera.com

Do you access media apps on your console or Smart TV?

I game on a monitor so whenever I want to watch Netflix or HBO etc... I usually do it through my PS4. However I'm getting a new TV for next gen and it'll probably be a smart TV since it's almost impossible to buy a TV that isn't one anymore. So for those of you with a Smart TV do you usually...

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
The media player app on PS4 has covered most of my bases. I have MP3s on my PC and a handful of playlists I stream for racing games.
Big same. I do miss how snappy it was to use before the Spotify integration was rolled out. *Sigh* those were good days.
OT: I fully expect the media player to be there but I don't put any of the big 3 above doing something so silly.

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
I know this is technically news but did anyone actually think any of these apps wouldn't be there day one?

Some of the apps don't appear to be available day one, so it's important they say whatever will be. Seems like MS is just carrying over what is already in their One ecosystem so less need to announce anything (or maybe they've made an announcement too, I just haven't been on the lookout for it).

I have a roku stick on my aux tv and webOS on my main. I used the PS4 on the main for ESPN and HBO Max because the LG doesn't support either app. Roku stick doesn't support HBO. For ease of use purposes, I'm looking to have one box that can just lock down streaming apps - so was hoping PS5 would fill that role but I'm thinking I'll have to look into something like an Apple TV at this point.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: okay, so the list is longer than they made it seem. More weird communication from Sony regarding launch info... anyway, I'm glad that I won't feel as pressured to keep my PS4 setup for media purposes.

Ars Technica has confirmed Hulu for PS5 launch, as well:

arstechnica.com

Clearing up which media apps will be available on PS5 at launch [Updated]

Sony lists ten (including Apple TV) but some others may also be ready in time

...weird information trickle on this one, though.

Ah, I skimmed right over the update at the top of the article and was like, where does it say Hulu and Crunchyroll are here at launch? Hahahaha. Now I see

Last edited:

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Prime Video, Hulu, and HBO Max aren't gonna be there Day 1? I guess I get Crunchyroll and VRV not being there right away but Sony owns Funimation, you think there'd be some rush there.

I wonder how long they expect to be lacking all the other services.

EDIT: Oh wait, Hulu is Day 1?
Hulu and Crunchyroll will apparently be there at launch.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Prime Video, Hulu, and HBO Max aren't gonna be there Day 1? I guess I get Crunchyroll and VRV not being there right away but Sony owns Funimation, you think there'd be some rush there.

I wonder how long they expect to be lacking all the other services.

EDIT: Oh wait, Hulu is Day 1?
crunchyroll and hulu are, post above you

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

So I don't because I've got a TV with all those apps.
But a friend of mine only has a monitor.
So uses their PS4 for streaming.
I guess that's the market for it.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Apple TV is huge, this is great stuff for me as I assume the PS5 will be insanely quick as a media box.

Guess I'm getting that remote!