• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No video showing all of this ? We still haven't see everything on the user interface experience

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Not terrible but hopefully they work fast to get the rest like HBO, Prime, Hulu, and Shudder.

Hulu is my most watched service recently.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird they didn't even mention HBO coming there later, considering The Last of Us series is gonna be on HBO eventually. I'm sure it's coming later though.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Ignorant Question Alert: Every App that works on Xbox One works on Series X day one. The PS5 is backwards compatible with PS4 software. Why does every entertainment app have to be redeveloped for the PS5? Can't it just run in PS4 mode and then be patched to support PS5 features later?
Since the PS5 has a new OS with new features and everything (like cards), they probably want to streamline the Media experience with all the apps available, so they gotta work a bit on them before adding them to the console, that's my guess.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Always strange when they lose apps during these transitions... they have the most important ones there to launch... and hopefully those other ones will be there by EOY.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
bbc iplayer/now tv?????

they are on PS4 so why not PS5?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Will we ever get a SoundCloud integration on PS systems like the Spotify one ?
No, right ? =(

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Now the question is if Disney plus will actually be 4k HDR as it doesn't work on ps4 pro for a lot of people from what I have seen.

Tested it myself and my LG C9 app clearly has a better picture quality than my PS4 pro app.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Only care about Spotify for background music streaming. Hopefully it's still built into the UX and works as elegantly as it does on PS4.

Otherwise my Bravia's Android TV blows console streaming out of the water in terms of PQ, responsiveness, features (Dolby Vision/Atmos aren't supprorted by Playstation for example), and app availability. Haven't touched my Pro, One S, or Roku for streaming since.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
It's a shame they didn't say anything about Dolby Vision support, especially for 4K Blu-Rays.
I'll be seriously disappointed if they didn't pay for the license. But at this point we will not find out until people have them in their houses.

On the apps, don't they not work with HDR on Ps4 Pro? I remember them not being amazing. I'd expect these to work properly out of the gate, this time.

Plus, mention the UK apps, Sony!

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is the deal with hbo max... my PS4 is the only device I own that has it. Weird that they're not on ps5 too

Yeah I was counting on the PS5 having HBO MAX since it's on the PS4, I guess its not backward compatible. Right now I have to watch HBO on a fire stick on my TCL Roku TV.

Oct 27, 2017
This is interesting. Does this mean those services are baked into the OS? If so, I wonder how that would affect updates to the individual services would the release cadence be different on PS5?

Oct 29, 2017
Ignorant Question Alert: Every App that works on Xbox One works on Series X day one. The PS5 is backwards compatible with PS4 software. Why does every entertainment app have to be redeveloped for the PS5? Can't it just run in PS4 mode and then be patched to support PS5 features later?
Because they will either be WebApps or use some other custom PS5 media app framework that enables the apps to work without having to be downloaded while adhering to a standardized feature set.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
YouTube, Netflix, Disney+ at launch will be great. That Amazon Prime needs to come soon tho....lol.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'll be seriously disappointed if they didn't pay for the license. But at this point we will not find out until people have them in their houses.

On the apps, don't they not work with HDR on Ps4 Pro? I remember them not being amazing. I'd expect these to work properly out of the gate, this time.

Plus, mention the UK apps, Sony!

PS4 HDR support in apps is pretty much none existent if I remember correctly, I never use them as I have them all built in on my LG CX with Dolby Vision support.

The PS5 will be my 4K Blu-Ray player which is why I'm really wanting to hear more about Dolby support for those.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'm happy apple TV is there. it's the only app i need to go into my TV for because it's obviously not on android to cast to my TV.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This is interesting. Does this mean those services are baked into the OS? If so, I wonder how that would affect updates to the individual services would the release cadence be different on PS5?
Nah, it's probably just that all those icons are already there and can be downloaded with a single button press. AFAIK PS4 also shows you icons for media apps you haven't downloaded yet so it's just simplifying the process.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
uhm...no Crunchyroll. Which is not a super big surprise, but I am now realizing that if I replace my current-gen consoles by the next-gen consoles (like it is my plan) that will mean I will lose access to Crunchyroll, as it also does not have an app for my LG WebOS. Not great...

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So no built in media player? PS3 had the best one, PS4 was crappy but still kinda worked via separate app and it's gone now in PS5

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they have a DLNA app or I don't know how I'm going to watch any of my movies.
I think that would be a stretch goal at best, if they even care about it anymore. I've moved my library to Plex which I think will be there sooner but that is not without its own issues.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My PS4 is my Sky Ticket machine so I hope that app comes soon after the launch.
Would be cool if it has Airplay so I could get rid of my old Apple TV3.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh what the fuck... no HBO Max? If neither the PS5 or my LG have it, that means I gotta keep my PS4 for HBO??? Hopefully the old app is BC or something, bullshit if it doesn't work

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Now the question is if Disney plus will actually be 4k HDR as it doesn't work on ps4 pro for a lot of people from what I have seen.

Tested it myself and my LG C9 app clearly has a better picture quality than my PS4 pro app.
I haven't found that any PS4 apps are better than one built in to SmartTVs. Always go with your OS level app as they're faster and easier and as mentioned, the PS4 version rarely has the full features. The only one I use is Crunchyroll since it's not available via the TV.

Hopefully the old app is BC or something, bullshit if it doesn't work
I am slightly hopeful this is the case and these native PS5 apps just have more features..