• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I only play physical games, even if it's free digitally I'd much rather pay to play it physically. In other words, I never redeem PS+ games ever.

I was somewhat looking forward to this, so I don't want to not play it, so I can wait for a price drop.
What I feel when I read this post:
giphy.gif

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I only play physical games, even if it's free digitally I'd much rather pay to play it physically. In other words, I never redeem PS+ games ever.

I was somewhat looking forward to this, so I don't want to not play it, so I can wait for a price drop.

Sounds to me like you are throwing away a major chunk of the money you spend on PS+.

Edit: Post above me explains it perfectly.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I am enjoying the game quite frankly.

They just need to turn off auto-chat.

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't stop playing last night. The car destruction is terrific, and seeing how each of the cars/ultimates works shows that off. It seems we'll be getting currency drops when the challenges go live.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I played on launch day the tutorial, but yesterday I tried to find a carnado match and did not find a match to play :/

It was before midnight in europe, really weird.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I don't want to derail the thread further, so this will be the last post I make on it because you asked nicely. But obv no, I'm not trolling and I'm dead serious.

To me the unhappiness of owning and playing a digital game greatly outweighs any inconvenience lost by having it, in short. I don't mind swapping disks, but I do mind not having the game on my shelf, etc etc. It's fine if the disk is just an installation and authentication thing, as long as it exists in an official capacity then I don't really care what's on the disk itself. I do make very rare exceptions, but this is not one of them. Additionally, I want to give money to support the release of physical games in weird situations like this.

Anyway, I look forward to maining TwinkleRiot in a few months time. I changed my PSN profile picture to her, her design is super up my alley.

Which is your prerogative but I still don't understand what's stopping you from playing the game for free now and buying the disc when the time is right.

As for the reviews, yesterday's addition of daily and weekly challenges already made it slightly more engaging than the day before.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Played the tutorial and couple of MP matches. Uninstalled it afterwards.

The graphics looks ok i guess. Vehicle controls are fine. While on foot, it feels like you can't really do much. You can collect shards or try and hijack other vehicles, but its much better quickly run and get another vehicle ASAP. The maps themselves are too big in my opinion, you will probably spend more time trying to catch another car than actually hitting them.

Really not a fan of the art style / character design, its extremely cringy. Almost feels like its trying too hard to follow Fortnite (which I am also not a fan of).

I would say its pretty bad overall, if this launched at full retail price, I guarantee it will be a bomba. And at this current state, I am not even sure if being on PS+ will help it maintain a healthy playerbase in the long run.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
It's an okay game, and worth a try for sure. Gameplay is fine but not sure if "fine" cuts it at this point. I'm going to give it few more tries but I don't really feel or see the flow of the gameplay yet. I really like the adaptive triggers in this one though, some aspects are top notch as well but like others have said, it feels a bit bare-bones.

And am I wrong or is this another example of a ray-traced 60fps game on PS5?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I mean, you could just play it on PS+, but then buy it physically when it hits a price you're willing to pay? You're already indirectly paying for it if you have a PS+ subscription.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
The more I played, the less I liked. Lots of really bizarre UI and control choices. It also doesn't hold your attention once you get passed that. A 7 seems very generous.

Dec 6, 2017
US

DigiDom

Oct 30, 2017
The games pretty fun once you get used to it. The roster is good. Music is alright on the main menu. I have no idea what people are complaining about with the handling. If you just want a few quick rounds of car smashing fun then It seems good so far. However it just needs some new game modes and updates soon to keep people interested. I definitely wouldn't pay £70 for it but then again I'm refusing to buy any game at that price. I can wait.

trineo_feo

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing Fellow Member; Account in Junior Phase
I don't want to derail the thread further, so this will be the last post I make on it because you asked nicely. But obv no, I'm not trolling and I'm dead serious.

To me the unhappiness of owning and playing a digital game greatly outweighs any inconvenience lost by having it, in short. I don't mind swapping disks, but I do mind not having the game on my shelf, etc etc. It's fine if the disk is just an installation and authentication thing, as long as it exists in an official capacity then I don't really care what's on the disk itself. I do make very rare exceptions, but this is not one of them. Additionally, I want to give money to support the release of physical games in weird situations like this.

Anyway, I look forward to maining TwinkleRiot in a few months time. I changed my PSN profile picture to her, her design is super up my alley.
I feel like you need therapy, man lol

Spotless Mind

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
While on foot, it feels like you can't really do much. You can collect shards or try and hijack other vehicles, but its much better quickly run and get another vehicle ASAP.
This isn't true at all. I won my first match of Mayhem by using Muna entirely on-foot and setting off traps with her breaker. I feel like there's a lot of depth to discover in this game. It's rough around the edges, but i think it has a lot of potential to keep improving.

The lack of Oceanic servers atm is unforgiveable though wtf.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

This is fascinating. I almost understand, but not quite lol. I suppose such a rigid philosophy helps limit having a ridiculous backlog (and you don't get carried away on digital sales). You probably only have games you know you will put time into. I know I've purchased games digitally because it was 60% off or so then barely touched it lol. But still, at minimum the "free" download can be a good demo to try to make sure you want to fork out cash for a game.

I'd think it also supports the dev twice as they get the download on their record with Sony, and your cash. I also put "free" in quotes because that's subsidized by your PS+ sub. And isn't Sony the publisher?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think it looked appealing when I saw the first previews/trailer, but I'll be glad if it finds a lasting audience. Been missing a good car combat game over the years, and it's nice to start the new generation javing one of those. I'll have to redeem it, and hopefully there will still be a good player base if I can get a PS5 down the line (still have no job atm).

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
more reviews

Eurogamer (no score):
Destruction AllStars does a lot right. It looks the part. It's polished and, from what I can tell, largely bug free - a testament to Lucid that the studio was able to produce a game this slick amid a pandemic and a work-from-home order. It's vibrant, feels good in the hand, and I like most of the character designs. But it's throwaway and barebones at launch. It's a game of potential right now. It desperately needs more to it, more depth, and more strategy. The driving is so good I'm craving an actual racing mode, or maybe a power-up filled multiplayer mode, something like a Mario Kart crossed with Burnout. That would be cool, I think.

Chicas Gamers (no score, review in Spanish):
Destruction AllStars is a destruction derby with frenetic gameplay and a good foundation for future growth. If you like the style of play, it will give you hours and hours of fun and we hope that over time more game modes will come. A novel bet by Lucid Games that with time could become the next Rocket League.

Use a Potion (8/10):
Destruction AllStars' chaotic vehicular-based combat makes for an exhilarating (and surprisingly strategic) experience that I've had a blast playing – I just hope that it gets enough post-launch content and support to keep players coming back for more. As it stands though, it's certainly a heck of a lot of fun to play. Sure, there's some inconsistencies in its scoring here and there and the arenas themselves lack imaginative flair, but between its colourful cast, it's satisfyingly destructive driving, and its slick visuals, there really is a whole lot to like about Destruction AllStars frantic showdowns.

Video Chums (7.1/10):
Although it features flashy visuals and initially intriguing gameplay, Destruction AllStars begins to get a bit tiresome after a while. It still offers plenty of entertainment but the fun factor doesn't quite have as much longevity as some similar titles do.

IGN (6/10):
Destruction AllStars can provide short bursts of action-packed chaos that are at their most fun when kept simple. The driving and vehicle-to-vehicle combat are highly enjoyable when you're slamming into other cars at high speed, but they wear thin quickly and offer very little else on closer inspection and the on-foot gameplay you're forced into too often feels pointless. With hit-and-miss modes, single-player content hidden behind a paywall, and poor cosmetics on offer, there's a disappointing lack of depth beneath the loud crashes, bangs, and wallops that feel so exciting at first. The roster of heroes are decently designed, along with their signature abilities, but very little is done to encourage team play or interesting uses of them. There's the basis of a great party game here too, but at launch it's far too shallow an experience for Destruction AllStars to be considered one right now.

TheSixthAxis (6/10):
The car combat genre has long been out of fashion and still has a way to go if it wants to take us back to its glory days of the 1990s. Destruction AllStars is a mostly satisfying modernisation that has some neat ideas and looks fantastic, though ultimately spins its tyres on repetitive rival-wrecking gameplay and a lack of truly worthwhile content at launch.

PPE.pl (5.5/10, review in Polish):
Lucid Games didn't take care of immersive modes or extensive vehicle controls, which creeps into the monotony. The visuals itself will not be the title on the pedestal.

Metro GameCentral (5/10):
Destruction AllStars is a fun little time waster but even if there were more arenas and game modes we're not convinced it would ever feel like anything more. We are curious to come back to it in six months or so, once it's no longer free and it has more content, but for now this is inarguably the least interesting of the PlayStation 5 exclusives and likely to stay that way for some time to come.

Twinfinite (2.5/5):
Scratch the surface and you'll find a very shallow car combat game that simply doesn't have what it needs to pull you back in over and over again. Destruction AllStars is unlikely to be the next PlayStation Plus success story.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
Played the game. Finished the tutorial and tried the multiplayer. It's 6.5 ~ 7 game for me.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I lasted about fifteen minutes. IMO this game needed another year in the oven.

In games like Rocket League one can hop in and play and it's fun. This had a convoluted and boring forced intro and then was just weirdly uninteresting afterwards. I give it a month before it's forgotten and three months until it is shelved.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
As a PS+ game it's alright. Don't really know what I'm doing in the team games because it explains nothing but the solo games are fun.

Matchmaking needs to be shorter for the 2nd solo mode though; spending 2-3 minutes waiting for a match only to get eliminated in 30 seconds is lame as hell.

Also not being able to play duplicate characters sucks.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
The game just feels very barebones and really a bit dull. It looks nice, and feels OK enough to play, but there's no hook keeping me coming back for more. If I'd paid $70 for it I would feel utterly ripped off.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
It would have been better if you had guns on foot and even bigger guns on your vehicle. Car melee just isn't appealing.