• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (62)
OpenCritic (63)

Eurogamer (no score):
Destruction AllStars does a lot right. It looks the part. It's polished and, from what I can tell, largely bug free - a testament to Lucid that the studio was able to produce a game this slick amid a pandemic and a work-from-home order. It's vibrant, feels good in the hand, and I like most of the character designs. But it's throwaway and barebones at launch. It's a game of potential right now. It desperately needs more to it, more depth, and more strategy. The driving is so good I'm craving an actual racing mode, or maybe a power-up filled multiplayer mode, something like a Mario Kart crossed with Burnout. That would be cool, I think.

Kotaku (no score, impressions):
All told, Destruction AllStars left me with feelings of hope and promise, and some uncertainty. Lucid Games didn't make advance copies of the game available to Kotaku. Nearly everyone you see playing this game is experiencing it in the same way at the same time. Could it take off the way Fall Guys—which itself received a boost from showing up on PS Plus for a month—did last summer? Or will it sputter out like, say, Bleeding Edge? I don't know what to make of the game yet. No one does, not really. Luckily, it currently doesn't cost much to find out.

Ars Technica (no score):
The good outweighs the bad. Get a PlayStation Plus trial and give this imperfect car-combat gem a spin.

VG247 (no score):
Being part of PS Plus will no doubt give Destruction AllStars a sizable audience it simply wouldn't have managed had it released as a $60/$70 title, but keeping that audience engaged will be the tricky part. There's only so much time I'm willing to invest in the game while it doesn't give me much in return.

GameRevolution (no score, review-in-progress):
Destruction AllStars is enjoyable in short bursts but a multiplayer game like this survives on its replayability, and I struggle to see how it will motivate players to keep going with it in its current state. With progression rewards currently limited to in-game currency that can only buy dull color swap skins, a single-player challenge mode that is mostly locked behind a paywall, and sporadically exciting matches, a lot of work is needed post-launch to keep players sticking around.

Chicas Gamers (no score, review in Spanish):
Destruction AllStars is a destruction derby with frenetic gameplay and a good foundation for future growth. If you like the style of play, it will give you hours and hours of fun and we hope that over time more game modes will come. A novel bet by Lucid Games that with time could become the next Rocket League.

GameCrate (9/10):
Destruction AllStars may not be a killer app that sells you on a PS5, but anyone who owns a PS5 will be happy to add it to their library. It is definitely one of the best perks of owning a PS5 yet.

Daily Star (4/5):
It's addictive, great fun and all about people playing online together. And it feels original, even if many of the individual elements are borrowed from other games. If you have a PS Plus subscription it's a no brainer to download this free title at some point over the next two months before it becomes paid for. Destruction AllStars is a brilliant new addition to the PS5 roster and will brighten up dull February with some colourful car-smashing fun.

Game Informer (8/10):
I had a good time behind the wheel in Destruction AllStars, even if I don't know that it has enough to keep me around forever. That's not to say there isn't anything to do; there is a decent-enough selection of modes and activities between online and offline, with more on the way. And I appreciate the instantly satisfying action that's as easy to drop in and out of as the cars themselves. Even if the novelty of vehicular mayhem isn't enough to sustain my interest for many more long-haul sessions, I'm looking forward to taking it for a quick spin every now and again.

Shacknews (8/10):
As far as gameshow/sporting event-style games go, Destruction AllStars is maybe some of the most fun I've had in a while. I love the pageantry when a match starts and my character does their intro before kicking things off. The visuals are smooth and pristine throughout the fast-paced action and the gameplay in different modes is absolutely delightful. I would like the foot game to be boosted a bit, and it desperately needs some better cosmetics and an easy-access Mute All function, but there's an absolutely enthralling foundation here in Destruction AllStars. I want to see more characters, more arenas, events… I want to see where Destruction AllStars goes in the long run and I'll be happy to keep playing as we work our way there.

Use a Potion (8/10):
Destruction AllStars' chaotic vehicular-based combat makes for an exhilarating (and surprisingly strategic) experience that I've had a blast playing – I just hope that it gets enough post-launch content and support to keep players coming back for more. As it stands though, it's certainly a heck of a lot of fun to play. Sure, there's some inconsistencies in its scoring here and there and the arenas themselves lack imaginative flair, but between its colourful cast, it's satisfyingly destructive driving, and its slick visuals, there really is a whole lot to like about Destruction AllStars frantic showdowns.

GamePro Germany (78/100, review in German):
I like Destruction AllStars. I really like it a lot. The anarchy of the gameplay reminds me of my endless PS1 evenings with Destruction Derby or Demolition Racer. Something happens all the time, there is always a crash somewhere - I never get bored.

Critical Hit (7.5/10):
Destruction AllStars is both new and familiar, but it's a refreshing collection of cars, modes, and madcap driving that shows great promise for the future. A mental destruction derby with some admittedly annoying quirks, there's plenty of charm under the hood of this game that respects your time and smashes into the competition with a gung-ho attitude and some novel ideas.

Hobby Consolas (75/100, review in Spanish):
This new PS5 exclusive offers some amusing ideas while taking advantage of the superior hardware, but it's too shallow in content and uses some greedy strategies. Future updates could change the situation, though.

DualShockers (7.5/10):
Overall, if Destruction AllStars was entirely focused on the driving and crashing aspects, this review would be a hands-down recommendation. I just wish it didn't come to a complete stop as often as it does when you lose control of the car. It does interesting things with the DualSense's adaptive triggers and has a satisfying loop but comes to a screeching halt in other areas. Lucid Games has promised at least a year of new content for the game following its release, so hopefully, things will be fixed over time. Waiting for a fix, however, isn't how I like to enjoy games. Luckily, Destruction AllStars is one of the free PS+ games for February, so with an online subscription and a PS5, I would recommend downloading it to give it a spin.

4Players.de (72/100, review in German):
What is there, entertains only briefly - and the banishment of the other episodes behind a payment barrier is crap. The scope could also be more generous in general: If you deduct Stockpile, which is currently too haphazardly for me, only three modes remain in very similar arenas; The character skills and special attacks of the hero cars are too interchangeable for me. Ultimately, however, I'm curious to see where the journey with Destruction AllStars is going - both in terms of new content and the question of whether it might become a full-price title at the beginning of April.

Video Chums (7.1/10):
Although it features flashy visuals and initially intriguing gameplay, Destruction AllStars begins to get a bit tiresome after a while. It still offers plenty of entertainment but the fun factor doesn't quite have as much longevity as some similar titles do.

Millenium (70/100, review in French):
Destruction AllStars has many strong points to offer. Mainstream and approachable, the directing is quite good and the gameplay quick to learn — although it takes time to be truly mastered. We had a lot of fun throwing out violent bumper blows and jumping on platforms to change vehicles, as well as unleashing the powers of the many heroes available. However, it's hard to predict whether it will be successful in the long run, and the PS5's exclusivity and high purchase price may prevent it from reaching a large audience.

Explosion Network (7/10):
Like any multiplayer game these days, it's hard to truly judge Destruction AllStars until a couple of months after its release. Hopefully, there's an injection of skins and other items to chase over the next month, and it'll be able to sustain a long-term player base. I'd love to be part of that group as I'm enjoying smashing into cars like never before, but the game needs a better progression system.

Jeuxvideo.com (13/20, review in French):
Everything could have gained more dynamism and appealed to the players a little more by offering various tricks such as slow motion or "killcam", but unfortunately, Lucid Games preferred to keep this type of functionality for the game's Solo mode. A Solo mode which also could have been successful, finally if it was not restricted by a system which requires the player to take out his credit card.

IGN (6/10):
Destruction AllStars can provide short bursts of action-packed chaos that are at their most fun when kept simple. The driving and vehicle-to-vehicle combat are highly enjoyable when you're slamming into other cars at high speed, but they wear thin quickly and offer very little else on closer inspection and the on-foot gameplay you're forced into too often feels pointless. With hit-and-miss modes, single-player content hidden behind a paywall, and poor cosmetics on offer, there's a disappointing lack of depth beneath the loud crashes, bangs, and wallops that feel so exciting at first. The roster of heroes are decently designed, along with their signature abilities, but very little is done to encourage team play or interesting uses of them. There's the basis of a great party game here too, but at launch it's far too shallow an experience for Destruction AllStars to be considered one right now.

TheSixthAxis (6/10):
The car combat genre has long been out of fashion and still has a way to go if it wants to take us back to its glory days of the 1990s. Destruction AllStars is a mostly satisfying modernisation that has some neat ideas and looks fantastic, though ultimately spins its tyres on repetitive rival-wrecking gameplay and a lack of truly worthwhile content at launch.

PPE.pl (5.5/10, review in Polish):
Lucid Games didn't take care of immersive modes or extensive vehicle controls, which creeps into the monotony. The visuals itself will not be the title on the pedestal.

Metro GameCentral (5/10):
Destruction AllStars is a fun little time waster but even if there were more arenas and game modes we're not convinced it would ever feel like anything more. We are curious to come back to it in six months or so, once it's no longer free and it has more content, but for now this is inarguably the least interesting of the PlayStation 5 exclusives and likely to stay that way for some time to come.

PlayStation Universe (5/10):
Destruction AllStars is a clunky mess of a multiplayer experience, committing a few cardinal sins when it comes to its online experience and offering uninteresting and dull gameplay most of the time. Each character feels unique and their abilities and vehicles are fun to use, but when meshed with the rest of the experience, it doesn't work. Predatory microtransactions, a lack of lore and backstory into the AllStars, and poor single-player offerings make this the weakest PlayStation Studios title in a long time.

Twinfinite (2.5/5):
Scratch the surface and you'll find a very shallow car combat game that simply doesn't have what it needs to pull you back in over and over again. Destruction AllStars is unlikely to be the next PlayStation Plus success story.

VGC (2/5):
Out of the 4 modes available at launch, 2 of them feel redundant and unbalanced. The single-player content is slim and if you want even a crumb more, you'll have to pay, which leaves Destruction Allstars feeling like a clumsy, hollow product whose fun moments go by in a blur.

TheGamer (2/5):
I wanted to love Destruction AllStars. I still do. There's just not enough there to make it worth my while right now. A couple of times, I ran into a weird technical issue where I would jump into a brand-new car, but it just wouldn't move. I think that issues like this can certainly be fixed in a future patch, though. I also know that the development team of Lucid Games has a year's-worth of content planned for the game. As such, although I can't recommend playing Destruction AllStars right now, I do have high hopes for the future of the game. Especially since the car combat genre is ripe for the taking with no new Twisted Metal in sight.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't think there was any way they were getting away with charging $70 for this

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah those scores seem about right tbh. Was expecting more from this game but it's a decent start to what it could become

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably going to wait for the physical version to decrease in price before biting. It's okay, I'm in no rush

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
yeah the score seems right. i tried the tutorial and it just felt repetitive and it wasn't even fun.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
seems like going fully free to play would be better if they're hoping for the game to keep a playerbase, granted the competition even in that space is mighty fierce.

razt99

Jan 7, 2021
I find it fun. Not as replayable as Fall Guys, Rocket League etc but a nice style and character design

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I would give a 77-78 as of now, it has several problems but it can be very fun.
It's hard to judge a MP game in its start, hopefully they will bring more content and fix what needs to be fixed soon.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Scores seem about right. It's okay. Fun in spurts but certainly doesn't have the same pull that Rocket League did back when that first dropped on PS4. There's no way I'd pay full price like was initially planned. The best thing going for it is the artstyle and character design, it's one of the best character select screens in recent memory. It's tied with OW, imo. Can't help but think they were influenced by it.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I have found it to be pretty fun and think it could grow into something better. They need a few updates to really crank the experience up, but it's not a bad game by any means. I don't see it fetching $70 though. Also, could we get some goddamn music during the gameplay?

Secondly, can I get a place in the menu where I can read the abilities of the characters for crying out loud?

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
What can I say, I'm having a good time with it. Long-term support will determine how this'll be remembered, but it's a promising start.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Played a few rounds of this and...it's really bad. I was actually kind of excited for it. The gameplay is very ill-conceived. Feels like Titanfall-but-cars but with the most boringly designed maps ever conceived (both visuals and layout are extremely boring) and literally no motivation to keep playing aside from skins and micro transaction-style nonsense. There's like, almost no content in this. It's very barebones. The cars don't handle very well either - certainly not we'll enough to make the moment to moment driving feel fun.

Wreckfest is a way better destruction derby game.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I can't be too mad about how this game turned out (and granted a lot of people seem happy with it) since it's on PS+ and not $70, but I am still just disappointed. The characters are so fun and bright and the concept is really good, but there are way more things I don't like than things I do. Lack of music, weird gating of single-player, such large empty arenas, and not a ton of depth have turned me off of it. Wanted to love this game :/

Oct 25, 2017
They still are next month i think
I noticed when redeeming this month's PS+ titles that no price came up for DAS, whereas Control showed the price (and the 100% discount for PS+). So maybe Sony is not so committed to the $70 price tag for this one.

Then again it might just be because DAS is only available on Plus and therefore has no retail price in the database.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't you need PS+ to play it anyway since it's pretty much an online game? Getting plus now gives you the game for "free."
Why though you need ps+ to play the majority of its content and it's included on that

I only play physical games, even if it's free digitally I'd much rather pay to play it physically. In other words, I never redeem PS+ games ever.

I was somewhat looking forward to this, so I don't want to not play it, so I can wait for a price drop.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I only play physical games, even if it's free digitally I'd much rather pay to play it physically. In other words, I never redeem PS+ games ever.

I was somewhat looking forward to this, so I don't want to not play it, so I can wait for a price drop.
You won't even redeem it to try it to see if it's even worth it?

udivision

Oct 25, 2017

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
To be fair music during matches is really annoying in most multiplayer games.
That's why games also offer music settings to adjust the volume or to turn the music off if you feel that way (I do this for fall guys), not having any music during matches is honestly baffling in a $70 game.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Same ballpark as Bleeding Edge. I think no one is going to play this at the time i finally grab PS5 lol.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
I have honestly not noticed or missed the lack of music during matches so far. I suspect it's intentional considering how much other ambient sound effects there are.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Seems fair but I really give them credit for trying something new. I'm digging it in small bursts but of course there's no way I'd drop 70 bucks on this.