• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying the game specially with friends, love it's colorful presentation and gameplay loop, DualSense support is great too. Sometimes I get in the match alone while the others keep waiting in the lobby, anyone encountered this issue?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I haven't played this yet but damn it looks aesthetically pleasing as heck to me. I love the character designs and animation, the vehicle designs and the colors from what I've seen so far.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I like the core gameplay, it is just fun to smash you care into other's.
However i expect some minor and a few major changes one they analyze feedback and adjust to make this a more cohesive experience.
But MP games are a bit ever evolving anyways.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of these trophies are crazy.

Slicing 2 cars at once with Hana's special feels really unlikely. It was hard enough slicing two within the time frame of using sabre once.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that I can't back out of a multiplayer search is crazy. I'd have to completely restart the game. Luckily it only takes a few seconds but sheesh, it gets complicated when you have a party.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that I can't back out of a multiplayer search is crazy. I'd have to completely restart the game. Luckily it only takes a few seconds but sheesh, it gets complicated when you have a party.

I just enter into arcade then back out. Saves the effort of dash boarding but yeah it needs to get fixed.

OP
OP
Noisepurge

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017

Slicing 2 cars at once with Hana's special feels really unlikely. It was hard enough slicing two within the time frame of using sabre once.

They are wildly inconsistent :P Genesis is like "use the special once, don't even need to hit anyone" and Ratu is "destroy the ENTIRE enemy team with one special" excuse me?!

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Still enjoying the game quite a bit. Played other modes last night and Stockpile is the only one I haven't tried yet. Carnado is fun, and I routinely fall off the edge in the first 20 seconds of Gridfall with a laugh. Mayhem is definitely the bread and butter for me so far. The single-player missions are fun too!

The art style, characters, FX, and animation all really work for me. Also, the frame rate is SOLID, so it all just feels so good to play too. DualSense feels great as others have mentioned, and the main musical theme has been stuck in my head now since the game launched.

I agree with some others that I wish there were more unlocks tied to XP/Level progression. My guess is that the devs wanted it to be more free form and let the player choose what they wanted in whatever order. Still makes it feel less satisfying to level up.

Interested to see how the game evolves and seeing the little challenges come online already gives me hope.

As an aside, I've played enough racing games with music (licensed or otherwise) where the devs taste really didn't work for me, so I'm cool with it. I realize I may be in the minority there.

JhOnNY_HD

Dec 13, 2020

Or burn the full team with Lupina

Or shred 3 cars in a single use when the ability last less than 5 seconds.

My theory that some trophies are put without testing

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
This game is so more-ish, I find it hard to stop!

I only logged 1 hour on online multiplayer games in the whole of 2020, according to psn data. Already past 4 on this.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the game, but it certainly has some issues. There's bad lag issues, the combat on-foot kinda sucks (I know the game wants you in-vehicle most of the time though), the lack of music is odd, running someone over is horribly unsatisfying (that feels weird to say), etc.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I do appreciate that one of the announcers has Tinnitus and calls that out, though Metro Exodus is the only game I've seen with an anti-Tinnitus option in the settings to minimize ringing noises.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
didnt the devs/sony say multiple times that you can only buy cosmetics with real money? but the single-player challenges are clearly gameplay & story content. so did they lie or did i miss something?

Oct 25, 2017

I did it by accident in mayhem.

But yeah, some of these requirements are head scratching.

Like light everyone on fire or wipe out the whole enemy team with Rahu. These maps are so big, I don't understand how you are even supposed to do the later.

Oct 25, 2017
but its not just cosmetics. the missions are unique (some of the missions are not available outside of that mode) and the star challenges are a gameplay element as well.

They never said "gameplay content" isn't behind a paywall, they said all their in game purchases have no "pay to win/advantage and are purely cosmetic" features, which is still true. It's a shitty system, but they didn't lie about anything.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
They never said "gameplay content" isn't behind a paywall, they said all their in game purchases have no "pay to win/advantage and are purely cosmetic" features, which is still true. It's a shitty system, but they didn't lie about anything.
thanks, i wasnt clear on their wording. i still hate the paywall. i hope they make all of those challenges free when/if you buy the non ps+ version on february 28th.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are wildly inconsistent :P Genesis is like "use the special once, don't even need to hit anyone" and Ratu is "destroy the ENTIRE enemy team with one special" excuse me?!

Inconsistent is the best way to describe them.

Like light everyone on fire or wipe out the whole enemy team with Rahu. These maps are so big, I don't understand how you are even supposed to do the later.

I imagine the only way to do the 'light everyone on fire' is to play Carnado and hope the enemy team is only 1-2 people

OP
OP
Noisepurge

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017

Just like you did that one. Accidentally and luckily :P

Carnado has the smallest arenas so go place your bets.

Oct 25, 2017
Just like you did that one. Accidentally and luckily :P

Carnado has the smallest arenas so go place your bets.

But that would still require everyone to be in her radius. I saw on PSNprofiles from someone who platinumed the game already that it works in gridfall if you are in a 1v1, but that still requires you to survive till the end and hold on to your ult which you need to manually build up.

Also the Lupita one is confusing because I don't know if by Allstar it means 'people on foot'

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
Not going to lie, I'm really bad at this game. I do find myself enjoying my time with it a lot despite that! Getting this free on PS plus is such a treat. I will say: gameplay feels a little limited. More Twisted Metal influence would help in my opinion, as in slightly more durable cars with more offensive options(Secondary abilities or guns/projectiles maybe).

Also, All-star's are definitely not balanced well for Mayhem gameplay, as I routinely see the same ones winning over and over (Bluefang, Hana). There's a number of support/defense style All-stars that are out-shined here, but pure offense always wins.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I think the game would be 100% better when you could wield shooting weapons on foot so that there is some kind of rampage on foot and the crystals give you ammo. every character wields an unique weapon.

and this way you could also damage the cars so that people have to jump out and join the firefight. that would be damn fun. and while we are at it, spawn ammo for the cars every 45 seconds so that there is car combat too.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think the game would be 100% better when you could wield shooting weapons on foot so that there is some kind of rampage on foot and the crystals give you ammo. every character wields an unique weapon.

and this way you could also damage the cars so that people have to jump out and join the firefight. that would be damn fun. and while we are at it, spawn ammo for the cars every 45 seconds so that there is car combat too.

Titanfall?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

some kind of vehicular combat mode would fit the game for sure.

i think the game would be killer with weapons. i appreciate that they tried to do something without shooting weapons and not every game needs pewpew but in this case i could imagine that it would be very frantic fun.

thinking shooting someone who wants to hop in a spawned car or shooting at a car that is about to pick up ammo. or suddenly someone slams into the shooting pack with his car, jumps out, activates the special move and blows the enemies off with a wave of destruction. you try to escape to your unique car which refills your health and in the last moment someone shoots you down.

there you would have the tense moments that are missing form the game.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Really hope they do something about the Single-Player challenges. Let people buy those with coins even if they're a lot at minimum.

I keep saying it, but the SP challenge mode is literally the most fun the game has to offer and it's a shame all of it is locked behind a paywall outside one freebie character.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I've somehow played 7 hours of this game already. It's just so easy to jump in and mindlessly ram people online, nice stress free fun

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope they do something about the Single-Player challenges. Let people buy those with coins even if they're a lot at minimum.

I keep saying it, but the SP challenge mode is literally the most fun the game has to offer and it's a shame all of it is locked behind a paywall outside one freebie character.
Agreed. The free one was fun and taught me the character pretty well. I haven't ponied up any cash yet because the pricing just seems weirdly inconsistent. I wonder if the prices change over time. $4 if you want it right away, $2 after a month, free after 2 months?

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
ultimo seems pretty unstoppable in carnado ..here's me tipping the tables right at the last min for my team the other night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86qXf5MmPd0

tried stockpile for the first time last night and woah its waay different to the other modes, heavy emphasis on the on-foot action. with the wall running and calling down hero cars at times it feels like titain fall.

its a mash up on streetfighter, destruction derby , Titanfall and all wrapped up in a motorstorm type presentation ..i think it does alot right. the character animation is good, the cars feel great. and the controls are simple enough anyone is going to be able to pick up and play.

i think its going to have success

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I've had fun the little I played the past couple of nights. Looks really nice, load times are super fast and game is fun if a bit simple. Haven't tried all the characters out yet, but seems like a good variety--though like others I've noticed the same few seeming to score wins so they're may be some balancing needed. It's not something I'd ever play competitively and care about winning anyway. Just a fun side game during a slow time for releases early in a new generation.

I did think it was a little crappy that the other character challenge modes can only be unlocked with DP which--unless I missed something--can only be purchased and not earned in game. I had fun doing the one character's challenges (have 3 stars left to get), but not enough to pay for the others.

Thankfully I've been in the habit of going into a party by myself since the 360 days, so I didn't have the issues of noise via controller mics. It's a bit of a hassle with the new party/group system as you can't simply start a party and not invite anyone. I just made an alt free PSN account and set up a group with just that account and start voice chat in it before playing any MP games with randos to not have to mess with in-game mute options etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Played it a bit more and have been enjoying it. Definitely understand the criticism that sometimes it's just hard to run into people which can lead to matches being boring. I've been playing a lot of Gridfall and like that all the matches are just designed to lead close quarters.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ok I was apprehensive at first but no in game music aside, it's pretty fun after playing a few hrs. Definitely has the potential to be really good down the road if properly supported. Blufang is a beast. *no pun intended*

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I could play Gridfall all day

There should be a better incentive for successfully barging someone. Like bonus hero vehicle energy or something.

It's just so easy to jump in and mindlessly ram people online, nice stress free fun

This right here. I don't have to worry about my W/L record, K/D ratio or rank. This might be the most relaxing online game I've played in a while

Oct 25, 2017
Seems fun to just jump into and play but it's probably a good thing they didn't try to sell this for full price at launch, that would have been horrible

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've only been able to play a little of the game (maybe an hour total since launch; perhaps a dozen matches, only 2 online), and I'm really having fun with it.

My only real complaint is that, due to the size of some of the arenas, it feels like there isn't enough "funneling" into combat. I often feel like I spend more time trying to find someone to smash into, than actually smashing into someone.

I think a potential solution is to battle royale it. For example, every 60 seconds, the playable area of the arena shrinks, forcing everyone to converge and fight for car options (as the spawn points for cars would be closed out, as the area outside of the "playable" area becomes hazardous to players that wander out of it). Honestly, that could just be an additional mode or modifier for existing modes. The game hasn't even been out a week, and we know the team has plans for the future, so I'm not particularly concerned about it.

I'm sure the team is deep in post mortem and analytics mode, seeing the modes players gravitate to the most, and looking into ways to making the modes that players aren't playing a lot of more engaging. I mean, our team does that all the time with our game, and often, it just takes time to find that balance. The core of this game is very solid. It has a lot of growth potential, not just in audience, but in functionality. Like I said, these things take time, and I can personally be patient with it, because I'm already having fun with what's available in the game now, and find the characters fun (I'm in love with Twinkle Riot, and no, I'm not about to try and spell out her name properly lol). I still need to play around with the rest of the cast, and find the one that fits my play style in terms of Hero abilities and Vehicle abilities. I'm not gonna do Blue Fang, as I hear he's pretty OP, and don't want to lean on him as a crutch.

There's a surprising learning curve with this game that I wasn't expecting. In particular when it comes to setting up situations that maximize your attacks, and utilizing their unique abilities effectively. Then learning the various handling abilities of the different vehicle types, and how to best utilize them.

I'm optimistic about the future and potential of this game. The core game loops are just simple, arcade style fun. If that didn't work, the rest of the game would fall apart. Smashing cars into other cars is inherently fun. It's going to be the expanding on that concept that really propels this game into a "must play" party game. I also have yet to play with my actual real life friends, which will no doubt add to the enjoyment factor, like how I much preferred playing games like Halo or Smash Bros with friends/coworkers over strangers on the internet.

A big improvement to the game that I'm sure will come eventually will be more customization of game modes. Letting players set the perimeters of a match will go a long way to adding more variety to matches, and "building" your own fun. Especially if the customization options are very granular, with lots of things to tweak (ie, gravity, damage multipliers, vehicle spawn and respawn times, match timers, hazard timers, Hero and Vehicle charge speeds, etc).

As a non vehicular combat game fan, I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying this game. It's just very straight forward and fun to play a few matches before taking a break.

I could play Gridfall all day

There should be a better incentive for successfully barging someone. Like bonus hero vehicle energy or something.

This right here. I don't have to worry about my W/L record, K/D ratio or rank. This might be the most relaxing online game I've played in a while

I agree! I'm not a competitive MP gamer, but I do enjoy playing games with people from time to time. The problem I have with most MP games is how seriously a lot of people take it, where this NEED to win and destroy other players sucks some of the fun out of it.

One of the things that I always enjoyed about playing Smash Bros is that, most of the people I played with were just having so much fun, regardless of winning or losing. Like, even when you're losing, you're having a good time. I lost every one of the online matches of Destruction AllStars I played, but I still had a lot of fun. I hate that stress I often feel where, especially in team based MP, where people get super heated because they lost, and now their K/D, W/L ratio is all messed up, and they get pissy about it. I'm too old to be worrying about my K/D ratio in a video game XD. I just want to have fun and blow off some steam after a long day/week/whatever. So far, this game feels like that for me.

Last edited:

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I've only been able to play a little of the game (maybe an hour total since launch; perhaps a dozen matches, only 2 online), and I'm really having fun with it.

My only real complaint is that, due to the size of some of the arenas, it feels like there isn't enough "funneling" into combat. I often feel like I spend more time trying to find someone to smash into, than actually smashing into someone.

great post overall, and I agree with what you're saying. This point in particular is something that stood out to me, and I hope they release new maps that fix what you're saying.

more maps in general would be awesome, custom game modes would be great, maybe adding a weapons game mode in too so we can get some twisted metal fix, would be massive for getting peoples eyes on this. I also like your idea of a BR mode and I'm kind of surprised there isn't one outside of gridfall, which is cool but I hate how long it takes between matches especially if you happen to get knocked out early.

another thing i'll wishlist outside of just general improvements, is a map editor mode. give us some blocks and ramps to play with, hazards, gaps/holes, etc. would be a great way to extend the games shelf life far beyond what it might be now.

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying it so far, did the challenge mode today and had a lot of fun with it. The thing that annoys me the most though is every time I get into a multiplayer game and into the chat my volume lowers, I mute the players with the activity card, but my sound stays at this lower volume which is a hassle.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
great post overall, and I agree with what you're saying. This point in particular is something that stood out to me, and I hope they release new maps that fix what you're saying.

more maps in general would be awesome, custom game modes would be great, maybe adding a weapons game mode in too so we can get some twisted metal fix, would be massive for getting peoples eyes on this. I also like your idea of a BR mode and I'm kind of surprised there isn't one outside of gridfall, which is cool but I hate how long it takes between matches especially if you happen to get knocked out early.

another thing i'll wishlist outside of just general improvements, is a map editor mode. give us some blocks and ramps to play with, hazards, gaps/holes, etc. would be a great way to extend the games shelf life far beyond what it might be now.

I haven't played Gridfall yet, but I know I really enjoy Stockpile a lot. I can imagine with the limited lives, that it becomes a slog while you wait for the match to end, when you really just want to get back into the action. I also agree that a map editor would be an excellent edition to the game! I meant to put that in my post before, but it slipped my mind. Those type of features would have to be extensively tested, so I can see how it wouldn't make it for launch, considering how much game development has been impacted by the pandemic, and I have no doubt that planned features had to be shelved for the time being, just to get the game out the door, and in a polished, playable state.

It being a networked MP game also eats up a lot of dev time, and as someone who used to QA games with heavy MP elements, I can say that it's one of the more harrowing parts of game development. I'm sure the team has a whole design document with features they wanted to, or plan to, implement in the future, but the smart play was to simply get the game into player's hands, so they can get a better read of the analytics, and build more of the game based off of that player feedback. Our game was in soft launch for a while before it released worldwide, and that time in soft launch was invaluable. Not saying that DAS is in soft launch, but being a game that's heavily multi-player, it needed to get into players hands at some point, to further isolate trouble spots. As former QA, I know it's not always possible to catch everything, as well as when you've worked on something for so long, it's easy to be blind to certain aspects of the game that, due to your intimate knowledge and time with the game, you may not see, and where player feedback becomes vitally important.

Like the tutorial, for example. I'm sure, for the team, the tutorial felt adequate and explained enough of the game to players. Now they're receiving feedback that the tutorial wasn't clear enough. the NUE is such an important moment for any game, and it's also one of the most challenging to balance. Too much, and players become overwhelmed, too little, and players are left confused. Both can result in the player just tuning out completely and shelving your game.

What works in Destruction AllStars favor is that, at its' core, it's a simple game: drive vehicles to destroy other vehicles. while on foot, avoid other vehicles, take over/wreck other vehicles, and try to return to a vehicle. That's easy enough to convey in a tutorial, which, I think, the tutorial adequately explained. Where it gets tricky is that other layer of depth that the game has buried underneath such a simple premise. That's when straddling the line between having pages of tutorial messages can overwhelm the player. Sometimes, just letting the player figure things out for themselves is a good strategy. Since this game isn't an RPG with skill trees, theory crafting, and other metagame elements, maybe going light on the tutorials is ultimately not a bad thing. Doesn't mean they can't flesh out the NUE more in this game, just that I'm not sure if a really thorough NUE would be beneficial in the long run.

In short, making video games is stressful and hard. Lol. Striking a good balance in terms of playability, fun, depth, and player retention is such a tightrope. Fortunately, I think the dominoes are set up rather nicely for Destruction AllStars. Now it's just a matter of parsing all of this player feedback and adapting accordingly to bring the game up even higher. The fun is already there. Just don't fuck with the fun, Lucid! XD

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Other than when it comes to completing the challenges, I'm a full on Harmony main.

I'm starting to get top of the leaderboards in solo and team modes so obviously the game is brilliant. I've also received some accolades from other players and it's made me realise that I've never received a single one (that I'm aware of) for all the times I've helped my team to victory in Call of Duty.

Between that and the unintentionally hilarious voice chat, this game is my new happy place

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
After some more time with it I agree with the sentiment that the actual car physics and smashing is just not satisfying enough which to me is crazy considering that's what the game is. I understand it's an arcade game but driving doesn't feel great and smashing into opponents at top speed just doesn't have that impact I would be hoping for. Hell, lots of times it feels like I'm playing a game of adult bumper cars where head on collisions result in me sending the other vehicle bouncing back a ton like I have Sonic springs attached to the front of my car.

Also like others have said it's just very bare bones. The cast of characters for launch is good but it just needs more modes and maps. The arenas are just so generic and boring. The current progression system is boring. The single player content is bad and two of them are locked behind paying for the in-game currency. It just feels like a F2P game in a beta state. For now it's populated because it's brand new on PS+ but man, once this month is over and this is a paid game I have a hard time seeing this game holding a healthy population a few months from now unless they just make it F2P and bank on adding more MTX and Battle Passes to sustain it. I'm sure it will have its niche community, but that's every game.

I've somehow played 7 hours of this game already. It's just so easy to jump in and mindlessly ram people online, nice stress free fun

On the other hand, this is true, too. It's mindless fun. It's not meant to be a super competitive or sweaty game, although of course you will always have people treat it that way.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Anyone know how to see what characters you need to win a match with to get the Checking out the Competition trophy? I am missing 2 characters, really want to get this one!