• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sgt Rescue's where it's at. His truck is beast and the smoke fucks with people bad lettin you pick em off. Had a real hard time puttin this down tonight.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
this game is... ok, I guess. I was really looking forward to it but the gameplay is a bit bland and the arenas unimaginative. The hero abilities are also not very impactful either. My kids really like it though, so there's that.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
The main issue with this game is that it just lacks impact. Or hype, or whatever. There's also no natural pacing in the objective game modes that make for some frantic moments (or nobody, including me, understands the modes yet...). It's all paced too evenly, making it feel dull. No extra hype when the match is about the end, or when it's close. It all just flatlines. Maybe Gridfall is different, I only played it once and immediately drove off a cliff 🤣.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I were to rank the game modes I think it would go Mayhem>Stockpile>Gridfall>Carnado , Carnado has the worst focus. All the other modes are great and esch hero flexes in different ways

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The main issue with this game is that it just lacks impact. Or hype, or whatever. There's also no natural pacing in the objective game modes that make for some frantic moments (or nobody, including me, understands the modes yet...). It's all paced too evenly, making it feel dull. No extra hype when the match is about the end, or when it's close. It all just flatlines. Maybe Gridfall is different, I only played it once and immediately drove off a cliff 🤣.

yeah, it misses something that makes the player go "woooohooo, wow!". the game just rolls along and it misses that special something that makes for that "one more round!" feeling.

the core is definitely serviceable and fun but it needs a better hook somewhere. i don´t feel like there are clutch plays or really tense moments here.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I'll also add about the objective modes that they definitely group your score with several others. But they don't require you to play as a team at all. Or, at the very least, they don't naturally push you towards it. It doesn't even make sense to drive alongside an ally, as you won't be able to land a follow-up hit or take revenge due to the speed and randomness of the impacts. Which is the most basic form of teamwork, just running around in a group.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The team modes are straight busted. Unsure how they lump people together, but I was losing every game I was in by hundreds of points. Aside from that, you can leave with no penalty and it wasn't uncommon the get lopsided games.

This was the very START of the match. Other players didn't join.

EtTDWWKXUAE8zcK

Gridgall is rather weak as well. Since the game just ends after the timer is up. If the last 2 people had the same amount of lives it's just a draw and they don't even get awarded their Destruction Rank points. It just gets lowered to an E so you might as well have not even played the mode.

There's a cool core here for something, but it definitely needs some retooling & fixes.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played a bit, felt like a soulless MP game to me. Already started with the tutorial which is just too long for all the stuff they want to teach you. Constantly waiting for the next objective to trigger was quite annoying.

Played Carnado for my first game as it is the favorite of the dev. Overall, it just felt like we were all driving around in circles and sometimes there was a hit, the action was not packed enough.
The lack of music in a latch makes it feel even more blend, I mean the rest of the presentation with that artstyle and those heroes as well as the dancing already feels like just another wannabe hero MP title.

I wished Lucid worked on an arcade racer instead 😒

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
They need to add bots to replace leavers. It's frustrating when there's barely any opponents left to earn points off.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think the biggest issues here (that aren't like glitches/matchmaking) are

• The Maps feel too big, making it hard to hit others- So often I can drive around and not hit anyone or will keep missing even in a full match no matter what the mode. For a game about chaos it just often feels like I'm doing more catching up than actual wrecking.
  • Some of the rule sets need to be redone - Mainly talking about the BR mode here. You shouldn't lose/draw in a game and automatically get like no points for playing. Every BR on the market gives you points equal to your place near the top. So don't take away people's destruction bonus.
  • Not enough SP content that isn't barred behind a paywall- I think a lot of people are sleeping on the free challenge mode (Which is effectively character story mode). IMO the games core mechanic shines in SP where you aren't struggling to play how the game wants. I legitimately had the most fun when trying to get all stars on the free character.

I hate talking down about the game, but I do so because at its core there's absolutely something great here. It just needs some help getting out.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
When all else fails they can just stick a ball in the middle of the arena, two goals at either end and everyone is happy.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
  • The Maps feel too big, making it hard to hit others- So often I can drive around and not hit anyone or will keep missing even in a full match no matter what the mode. For a game about chaos it just often feels like I'm doing more catching up than actual wrecking.

I feel this especially, because I suck at this game. I was the guy in Rocket League who'd line up a shot and then whiff spectacularly. This game is no different. I then spend 30 seconds driving to the other end of the map for another chance. Just doesn't feel particularly great.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Played a few hours of this now. Rocket League is one of my favourite games but I don't always click with multiplayer games like this, so I wasn't necessarily expecting to like this.

But honestly, this game just kind of sucks. Basically everything negative that people have pointed out so far in this thread I agree with. I could list at least a dozen things wrong with this game, but like I said people have already pointed all of them out. The biggest core issue I will echo is that it just isn't fun. The arenas are too big and you spend most of your time either chasing someone who can always keep ahead or just wondering around aimlessly looking for someone you might be able to catch out. The only thing you can do to mix this up is go on foot, but that feels even more boring as its so slow and clunky and the parkour stuff isn't laid out well, for most of the game modes being on foot is kind of pointless anyway.

Oct 25, 2017

• Some of the rule sets need to be redone - Mainly talking about the BR mode here. You shouldn't lose/draw in a game and automatically get like no points for playing. Every BR on the market gives you points equal to your place near the top. So don't take away people's destruction bonus.
  • Not enough SP content that isn't barred behind a paywall- I think a lot of people are sleeping on the free challenge mode (Which is effectively character story mode). IMO the games core mechanic shines in SP where you aren't struggling to play how the game wants. I legitimately had the most fun when trying to get all stars on the free character.

I hate talking down about the game, but I do so because at its core there's absolutely something great here. It just needs some help getting out.
I feel the same about these points. Also the fact that other people leave the match and there are no AI cars to replace them, makes the thing worse as the match progresses. I hope they address these in the future.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I feel the same about these points. Also the fact that other people leave the match and there are no AI cars to replace them, makes the thing worse as the match progresses. I hope they address these in the future.

Yeah, team games are definitely finicky atm. If the games doesn't oddly give you a uneven game, so often matches can spiral out of control to the point where it's not even worth sticking around. Which is why you gave people leaving and then it's just odd when no AI fills.

Kinda don't blame people for leaving a match that suddenly the jumps to 300 vs 70 in carnado. But there has to be a way to better solve this issue.

skill-based matchmaking could help, or at least better skill based matchmaking if it's there (I kinda doubt it's there as I don't think I'd lose 6+ matches in a row where my entire team struggles to score while multiple people have 100+ On the other team would be a thing if skill based was present).

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
I was about to come into this thread yesterday, the first time I tried the game, and say that I was kind of lukewarm on it, like a lot of posters here seemingly are.

But tonight I stopped playing the multiplayer and fired up the challenge modes, and I'm honestly having a lot more fun! Maybe it's because the bots are closer to my dismal skill level, but I had many more "hype" moments playing singleplayer than I had matchmaking yesterday.

I will say this in the game's favor though: I absolutely love the physics of the cars. It feels like it's been a decade since I've played a modern game with decent feeling arcade handling. Handbrake turns are extremely intuitive and responsive, the acceleration feels just right, and I like how the handling is impacted by the vehicle's damage.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
They need to add a mute chat by default option in the game, add music during matches, add a decent progression system and rework the whole netcode because its mario kart level bad.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Played a bunch last night (trying to get the 'win a match with each character' trophy at the moment) and finding my flow.

I do not like that stage that is a big circular area in the middle with steps in Carnado mode. It has too many walls/ledges. Really stalls the flow of the match, feels like everyone's just hitting the walls all of the time.

May 22, 2018
I do not like that stage that is a big circular area in the middle with steps in Carnado mode. It has too many walls/ledges. Really stalls the flow of the match, feels like everyone's just hitting the walls all of the time.
That's Las Vegas, and yeah it's the worst Carnado arena. My problem is that once you dump your car for points, you don't have an easy way of getting another. Your only option is to jump and grab one of the four floating platforms nearby which will lead you to a car. The problem is that the platforms require a near perfect jump to grab them, and you have to run far away for a car if you can't manage to do it.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Really enjoying this so far.

I'm starting to get better and hitting other cars!

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

These are excellent points you bring up -- especially about the maps being too big. People in this game just tail each other like a massive mamba line and it is hard to hit people when they are always too busy following one-another. I like the one level in GridFall where the hexagon floor panels fall out, as that is a smaller map and makes it easier to hit people, but the main levels in Mayhem are simply way too damn big.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's Las Vegas, and yeah it's the worst Carnado arena. My problem is that once you dump your car for points, you don't have an easy way of getting another. Your only option is to jump and grab one of the four floating platforms nearby which will lead you to a car. The problem is that the platforms require a near perfect jump to grab them, and you have to run far away for a car if you can't manage to do it.

You can direct the car towards the centre, jump out of your car early and still bank the points when the car hits the tornado.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
is just me or the mute-voice-chat-in-activity-cards doesnt appears in every match?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I actually feel like the game is good, but it does need a few corrections.

. Either the maps are too big or they could increase the number of player per match. Sometimes i'm going around trying to hit players and it's all a bit based on luck really.
. Where can i turn off other people's mics? i'm sure the game has that option but i can't find it, lmao.
. I feel like the teams are unballanced. Like...you can go into matches with a team of 8 people and the other one will have like 4 or something...it's odd.

Overall i'm enjoying it tbh.

And again...this isn't an 80€ game. I don't know whoever made this decision but the game will die after these 2 months if they release it at that price.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I really dont like it. Its just not satisfying to play, the combat has no real punch to it and the super moves dont really feel super. It feels barebones and I cant belikeve they were going to charge 70 quid for this. I would of had vehicle mounted gun/rockets in the game to help it feel a little mpre exciting.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I like the game a lot. I give them credit for designing the cars to be slippery so that there is some challenge to colliding. I also think the characters and specialized cars have a lot of personality in a good way.

Here are some critiques:

1. Leveling should be tied to something more than currency. I know that might ruin the MTX plan but leveling is just too frequent with little reward.

2. They need to get to a point where you can be back in a match within 20 seconds of finishing a match. The non-existent load times on the PS5 have made me intolerant to any downtime.

3. The on-foot abilities need more impact. Maybe add more projectiles on foot?

I'll keep playing for sure though. Like I said earlier in the thread, I think they could make some really fun characters with Sony properties in this game.

OP
OP
Noisepurge

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Why does the volume drop to like 25% when I get into a game?

Yeah this is really dumb (someone already explained why) but it's awful how muted everything sounds. I don't want music during a match like others do, but I'd love for the sound to actually have some impact.

It's the party chat kicking in. PS party by default lowers game volume so you can hear the chat :D which in this case is the big issue

You can adjust party/game mix in audio settings on the quick menu when you press the PS Home button.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
This game is really disappointing.

- They have a ton of different characters but the only functional difference between them is one special ability on their hero car and one on-foot ability, both of which lack much pizazz. The game basically wants to be a hero shooter but with cars, why not include the multitude of crazy special abilities that makes those games fun to play?

- The arenas feel way too big for a game where your only way to attack other players is to directly smack into them. The whole time I was wishing that either the maps were smaller or that I had some kind of projectile weapons like in Twisted Metal.

- On-foot gameplay is just awful. They somehow made your character harder to control out of a vehicle than in one, and the barge move doesn't even kill opponents. It feels like there should be something more to do when you're out of a car.

Then there are the flaws so glaring that it's insane to think anybody on the team didn't think they'd be a problem. Why is there no music at all during matches? Why is the single player content locked behind microtransactions? WHY IS VOICE CHAT ALWAYS ON BY DEFAULT?

If EA or Activision dared to release a game in this state it would be getting torn to shreds, but somehow this game is skating by with a cozy 7/10 Metacritic average. I hope the devs are able to fix the problems, because like a lot of people I also feel there's a salvageable game buried somewhere beneath all the mediocrity.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Tried this out, really didn't like it. It feels like Sony wanted a Rocket League and instead got a Bleeding Edge.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I wish there was an MP mode that didn't require picking up gears and banking them. I just want to race around and bang into other cars.

It's the party chat kicking in. PS party by default lowers game volume so you can hear the chat :D which in this case is the big issue

You can adjust party/game mix in audio settings on the quick menu when you press the PS Home button.
Weird, I haven't noticed this happening in the other games I play. But I'll give it a shot, thanks.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
is just me or the mute-voice-chat-in-activity-cards doesnt appears in every match?

It didn't appear for me, and I thought I was going mad. Went through pretty much every menu in the Quick Menu (or whatever it's called) and the Settings. Didn't change anything, but it suddenly started appearing for me after I did that. That's probably not much help, but still...

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
This might be a weird question, but how does it compare to the classic Destruction Derby games? Is the destruction big on this game or just a passing mechanic.

breander

Oct 27, 2017
Man I really wanted to like this game but I just didn't have any fun. I might give it a few more tries but honestly this game feels like it will be dead in a month or two. It's mind boggling they even thought for two seconds to sell this for $70.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020

This, and also:
- Progression system needs some kind of overhaul, there's no satisfaction in leveling up without good rewards (no, AC points to buy ugly avatars and ugly skins are not enough)
- Linked to the point above, the game needs better customization and better unlockables (mainly skins and veichles)
- Online demolitions are not even half as good as in single player, they need to add some kind of feedback or slow-mo sequence

I'm going to drop these suggestions in their reddit community thread, I suggest all of you to do the same. With the right feedback and good support, this game could become a really special thing in the future

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Does this game have couch multiplayer? Can i play against my friend when he's sitting next to me? Or is it solo or online multiplayer only

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That's... super disappointing. I was so looking forward to this game thinking i could play it with my bro or my friend when they're here. Like good old Destruction Derby. Ouch.

I'm wondering if they could add local multiplayer in an update. Would be a great addition!

NoneLikeAlex

Oct 27, 2017
I've played bout 35 matches so far and am having great fun.

The one thing that concerns me is in those 35 matches I've only seen 3 different All Stars win a match (4 if you count me winning as Harmony)

The wins I see are almost always Hana or the Jaguar head dude.

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a joke, lmao. I'll explore that. I barely use activity cards and have no idea what's going on. (because i still don't play a lot of ps5 games)

Alternatively, you can bring up the home button overlay and go into sound, turn sound all the way down for the controller (unless you're playing with headphones, in which case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
When the game was up on GameStop, there was the following description:
Create and share your own destructive events and challenges
I really hope this is still a part of the game coming in the future.

I'm having fun, but I wish the dailies and weekly challenges gave just a little bit of premium currency to keep me engaged long term.

Also, I saw someone streaming last night who was camping a point doubler in Mayhem on foot, raising traps, until he got his hero vehicle. They will need to make that doubler appear randomly around the map to keep people moving. He kept winning... by just about double the points each time.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect that this isn't an issue that most people have with the game, but I was really hoping that we could get parties larger than 4 players in the 8v8 modes. My group always had to leave someone out last night, which wasn't great!