• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Opposite thoughts. I think this game's Dualsense implementation is excellent. The running steps being emulated is awesome, the trigger is fine IMO and gives it to pedal to the metal feel. My favorite feature is when you're low on health, and you feel the car "ticking" before it explodes.

So good!

OP
OP
Noisepurge

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
The skins need to be half their current price. I think I'll need to be level 10 before I can afford one.

But you get to lvl 10 in like an hour? Doesn´t seem too bad in my experience. The only downside is that the only "real" different skin is the most expensive one and there´s only one per character :P

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I tried it last nite and I had to stop. I haaaaated it but I hardly had time to figure out the controls. We're talking 15 minutes. I'm usually much more patient than that. I want the try again just to see if it was me or the game.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind paying for more of the story modes if there was any sense of a standard pricing structure. One is free, I get that so we can try it out. The second is not free. OK. The third to be released in 2 weeks is an even higher price. Why?

May 22, 2018
Still enjoying this game quite a bit, though I'm only rank 7.

Mayhem and Carnado are by far the highlights. Both modes offer excellent XP and keep a breakneck pace. Gridfall is also fun, but getting eliminated early nets little XP and forces you to matchmake again (which can take a minute). I do enjoy the more strategic approach Gridfall requires, and it encourages the use of characters not often used in the other modes (blinding players with Sgt Rescue is a lot of fun here). Only mode I outright dislike is Stockpile. I feel it slows the game down too much, and matches don't feel exciting because of it.

Other complaints many have said already. No music during a match is an odd choice and is a huge missed opportunity. The alternate costumes are boring palette swaps, but I expect growth here eventually, like themed suits and cars. Finally I'd say the on-foot specials feel mostly useless. While trying out all the characters, I found myself using the specials not because of their offensive capabilities, but because it gives you double jump. It feels like you could take out the specials and replace them with a generic overcharge feature (speed and double jump), and the game wouldn't suffer for it.

Everything else about the game is great. The performance, characters, gameplay flow, and online stability work well for me. I hope the game finds an audience because it'll be interesting to see how it grows over time.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't found a character I like. I feel like it's a lot harder to collide with cars than I expected. But when the forward boost registers into someone unsuspecting, it's great.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind paying for more of the story modes if there was any sense of a standard pricing structure. One is free, I get that so we can try it out. The second is not free. OK. The third to be released in 2 weeks is an even higher price. Why?
Wait, I presumed you could earn in-game credit through gameplay to unlock the rest. Is it actually behind a paywall?!

dragonflys545

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I think I'm addicted to this game. Jian is my main! So much fun with the Morningstar.

I kind of wish there's more to leveling up other than getting the coins.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I can't believe a group of high ranking decision makers thought they could sell this for $70 up until a couple months ago. It is as bare bones in content and design as a student project and shallow as a puddle. I would love to see the pitch that got this greenlit, it had to have been 100x more ambitious than the end product.

OP
OP
Noisepurge

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
its not just the missing music: the whole game sounds like someone put cotton or wax in your ear. everything is muffled and subdued. i tried it with the pulse 3d headset and my soundsystem. both sound awful.

that´s due to the auto-party-chat mode hitting whenever you enter a match. It always muffles all in game sounds.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Sony will deactivate the automatically turned on mic with a future firmware update. I don't think this has been a good idea so far.

I can't believe a group of high ranking decision makers thought they could sell this for $70 up until a couple months ago. It is as bare bones in content and design as a student project and shallow as a puddle. I would love to see the pitch that got this greenlit, it had to have been 100x more ambitious than the end product.
It at least looks as pretty as I'd expect from a full priced game but yeah, content is super barebones and asking the next gen premium price for it is absurd

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
EtUTpYsVoAAqAqW

lol

OP
OP
Noisepurge

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how Carnado works. I dont understand how you earn points before banking them, I don't even understand the HUD.

Yeah the tutorials are trash.

You get points from hitting and destroying enemy team cars, when you get 5 points, 10, 15, 30, 50 or 80 point totals, drive into the tornado to score them for your team. Meaning you can´t deposit like 3 points, has to be one of the point totals shown at the top of your screen.

The points are always tied into that vehicle, so do NOT jump out unless you are willing to sacrifice any collected points. And of course, if your car gets destroyed, you lose all the points you were carrying.

The team with the most points at the end of the clock wins! Easy. It´s my favourite mode as it´s constant tension :D

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Gridfall is cool but the camera angle...needs to be a bit vertical above the car for that mode.

time to get into a match is too long, should all be a bit faster.

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
Didn't notice the OT open yesterday, but played with 3 others last night and have thoughts. This game has major ARMS energy, which I like. I love how every character looks, and them having their own remix of the main theme is excellent. That said, how is there not music in the matches. It makes what appeared to be a energetic destruction derby sour quick when all you hear are cars. I get how that's intentional, and it's trying to emulate a real sports feel, but it saps the energy out of playing the game when the menu theme slaps.

In regards to matchmaking, I can excuse the long waiting times because it's still day 1, but I won't understand the point of not being able to enter mayhem in a party. It's like if you couldn't play Turf War in Splatoon or Firefight in Halo with friends, even if we're not on the same team we should still be able to play in the same match as our friends.

Finally I really don't enjoy the implementation of the challenges, which is a shame because I would love to be get to know the world and characters more. I liked Ultimo's first mission, a simple game of mayhem, but then being forced into what felt like a 3D platformer collectathon felt like such a drag. I had to repeat the mission because I kept missing one or two blocks, and this was where the lack of music really sucked my enjoyment from the game, because there weren't even any other cars to distract me. It was just wandering around a stadium, collecting boxes and diamonds to the ambient sound of footsteps. Not to mention that these modes are not free, they require the same second currency that the exclusive skins use, and require grinding to god knows what length to even get this currency besides spending money.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
That said, how is there not music in the matches. It makes what appeared to be a energetic destruction derby sour quick when all you hear are cars. I get how that's intentional, and it's trying to emulate a real sports feel, but it saps the energy out of playing the game when the menu theme slaps.

Blame streaming for it. People want to play their own music, and no one wants to get copyright strikes on a game created for streamers.

I noticed the deafening lack of music, so I ran spotify playlists in the background. Feels much "energetic" with your own music.

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
Blame streaming for it. People want to play their own music, and no one wants to get copyright strikes on a game created for streamers.

I noticed the deafening lack of music, so I ran spotify playlists in the background. Feels much "energetic" with your own music.
That's what my friends and I figured, but we assumed there would be a streamer safe mode that replaced the deafening silence with licensed music, but alas.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Solution should have been to have a stream mode that deactivates the music.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I ended up playing for about 3 hours total yesterday, which is more than I expected. After my friends quit Rocket League I switched over and figured I'd play a couple games, which turned into more than a couple.

I don't know, I think the core gameplay is mostly great, though I still wonder about staying power. It feels more like a party game than anything, but the lack of party play options will definitely ruin that. Unless I missed it I don't think there's any way of doing private matches with friends which is super dumb. Content wise if they hadn't neutered everything for their freemium currency I think the game would have been fine, but having what feels like the single player portion yanked out of the game so it could be monetized sure sucks. Especially because judging from the free one I played last night, it's sure as fuck not worth two or four dollars.

... I'll probably still buy at least Hana's though...

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Sweet Tooth seems like the lowest hanging fruit that´s easy to add :D I think they should also call Sega up and get some Sonic Allstars Racing Transformed characters in there.
Yes! My nephew was playing yesterday and said they should add Sonic. Sonic would be a great addition, you can have his Allstars Racing vehicle, and give some spin dash or super sonic abilities as Breaker.

OP
OP
Noisepurge

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I think the core gameplay is mostly great, though I still wonder about staying power. It feels more like a party game than anything, but the lack of party play options will definitely ruin that. Unless I missed it I don't think there's any way of doing private matches with friends which is super dumb. Content wise if they hadn't neutered everything for their freemium currency I think the game would have been fine, but having what feels like the single player portion yanked out of the game so it could be monetized sure sucks. Especially because judging from the free one I played last night, it's sure as fuck not worth two or four dollars.

What´s missing is private games, and also a different highlight color of party members at least in the minimap! I can´t really help my buddies out on the field as i can´t see where they are going. Would make making saves and coordinated attacks much better.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
played some of this last night. Only played like 3 rounds, of 2 different modes. Presentation is pretty great, controls are good, and animation, vibration and trigger effects are all neat, but yeah kinda meh gameplay. Cant really tell who is winning, or how best to win, or what your goals are, etc. Its just drive around crashing into things basically, with no real indicator of how you are effecting things or not, doesn't feel very intense or anything.
I did all the tutorials as far as I am aware, but dont think it ever specified what my end goal is? Eliminate people? But I think I respanwed once, so what is the point of an elimination, what does it mean? Rack up points? Ok, whats the best way to do that, and where do I keep track of points? What do the points mean, dont think any of that was explained. It told me to grab those crystals, but why, are those points? or do those unlock my special car, or does that fill my special meter? I know I can figure it all out the more I play, and study the game UI more, but as a whole package the game modes just feel a bit stale, empty, and shallow. Like there isn't any build up to a climax, no race to anything, no close calls, etc that I felt. obviously again, i haven't played much, but doubt I will. Was hoping to play with a buddy and work together, but doesnt feel like this is a game to co op with someone, or can even help each other out.
Dont think the level up system was explained at all either, what do the levels mean, do I unlock anything, i didnt see anything if so, so why do levels matter? tutorials kinda went through a lot of the controls, but not much else. But I could have missed some stuff. Just my opinion, glad people are enjoying it. And hey it was free, so yeah.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
played some of this last night. Only played like 3 rounds, of 2 different modes. Presentation is pretty great, controls are good, and animation, vibration and trigger effects are all neat, but yeah kinda meh gameplay. Cant really tell who is winning, or how best to win, or what your goals are, etc. Its just drive around crashing into things basically, with no real indicator of how you are effecting things or not, doesn't feel very intense or anything.
I did all the tutorials as far as I am aware, but dont think it ever specified what my end goal is? Eliminate people? But I think I respanwed once, so what is the point of an elimination, what does it mean? Rack up points? Ok, whats the best way to do that, and where do I keep track of points? What do the points mean, dont think any of that was explained. It told me to grab those crystals, but why, are those points? or do those unlock my special car, or does that fill my special meter? I know I can figure it all out the more I play, and study the game UI more, but as a whole package the game modes just feel a bit stale, empty, and shallow. Like there isn't any build up to a climax, no race to anything, no close calls, etc that I felt. obviously again, i haven't played much, but doubt I will. Was hoping to play with a buddy and work together, but doesnt feel like this is a game to co op with someone, or can even help each other out.
Dont think the level up system was explained at all either, what do the levels mean, do I unlock anything, i didnt see anything if so, so why do levels matter? tutorials kinda went through a lot of the controls, but not much else. But I could have missed some stuff. Just my opinion, glad people are enjoying it. And hey it was free, so yeah.

The game is not rocket science :-)

crash for points, kill for points, evade for points. on foot you collect crystals to fill your special moves and activate barricades on the track which also gives points when cars crash into them. you can steal other peoples cars when evading and immediately pressing triangle, you have to do some quick time event after that.

when bar is filled for your character car, call car, jump in, activate your car special to shred other cars. on foot special is to run faster, jump higher and have some special move too.

thats the core gameplay

i think the game is really fun, needs to have some improvements here and there and the time till you are in a multiplayer match is a bit too long but it is entertaining for an hour or two.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
The game is not rocket science :-)

crash for points, kill for points, evade for points. on foot you collect crystals to fill your special moves and activate barricades on the track which also gives points when cars crash into them. you can steal other peoples cars when evading and immediately pressing triangle, you have to do some quick time event after that.

when bar is filled for your character car, call car, jump in, activate your car special to shred other cars. on foot special is to run faster, jump higher and have some special move too.

thats the core gameplay

i think the game is really fun, needs to have some improvements here and there and the time till you are in a multiplayer match is a bit too long but it is entertaining for an hour or two.

yeah like I said, I did the tutorials, so I am familiar with the gameplay aspects , like evading and stealing cars, etc. Its just points, and how they work was never fully explained as far as I remember(there was a good deal of info so I likely missed some subtle stuff), and what the end goal is. Or what is best, or all the ways for earning points, and where you would even track points on the screen, and how all that works. Just saying the did a poor job of explaining that whole aspect, and no explanation of leveling and why that might be important or not? And obviously with more time I can understand that, but the game didnt grab me by that time. Just felt I was on my own, just crashing into things, and there was no dynamics, highs nor lows, or climax to the matches. To me didnt have staying power. Just my hot take is all. Glad you enjoy it.
Could maybe be fun for a quick match here and there trying out more characters. but cant see my self putting too much time into it.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
yeah like I said, I did the tutorials, so I am familiar with the gameplay aspects , like evading and stealing cars, etc. Its just points, and how they work was never fully explained as far as I remember(there was a good deal of info so I likely missed some subtle stuff), and what the end goal is. Or what is best, or all the ways for earning points, and where you would even track points on the screen, and how all that works. Just saying the did a poor job of explaining that whole aspect, and no explanation of leveling and why that might be important or not? And obviously with more time I can understand that, but the game didnt grab me by that time. Just felt I was on my own, just crashing into things, and there was no dynamics, highs nor lows, or climax to the matches. To me didnt have staying power. Just my hot take is all. Glad you enjoy it.
Could maybe be fun for a quick match here and there trying out more characters. but cant see my self putting too much time into it.

If you're talking about Carnado, what I believe is happening is:

1 point for cashing in the car if you haven't done any damage.
5 points for first good hit.
15 points for another good hit/wreck streak.
30 points for next good hit/wreck streaks.
50 points for great hit/wreck streaks.
80 points for great hit/wreck streaks in a hero car (thanks Malkier!)

Cash in your car and you cash in the points for your team.

However, know that points are linked to the car, not the driver. If you abandon or wreck your car, points go to zero and can be stolen by enemy team if they take your car.

Last edited:

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking about Carnado, what I believe is happening is:

1 point for cashing in the car if you haven't done any damage.
5 points for first good hit.
15 points for another good hit/wreck streak.
30 points for next good hit/wreck streaks.
80 points for great hit/wreck streaks.

Cash in your car and you cash in the points for your team.

However, know that points are linked to the car, not the driver. If you abandon or wreck your car, points go to zero and can be stolen by enemy team if they take your car.
One thing to note, only hero cars can go to 80 regular cars go to 50.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
If you're talking about the challenge series yeah the one where you have to break boxes is really hard to do the objective to finish with a surplus of time. Lupita's also has a gridfall challenge where you gotta annihilate an enemy and it's pretty much impossible to do cause the AI just suicides off the ledge before you can wreck them.
Yea that's the one I was referring too, the boxes. It's kinda hard, lol. Didn't get to lupitas yet.