• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Games ok but don't see myself playing it that long. Why can't we just have a next-gen twisted metal

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Games ok but don't see myself playing it that long. Why can't we just have a next-gen twisted metal

Tell me about it. All we've got on PS4/5 is Twisted Metal Black. I'm not even that hot on it compared to the PS3 game or Twisted Metal 4 (childhood favorite), but it still scratched that vehicular mayhem itch I've been dying for. Only a little though.

Unfortunately, all Destruction AllStars has accomplished is to make me even hungrier for that kind of game.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Going by what I saw (Again I don't own a PS5) Some of the effects like sparks are nicely realized, in combination with vehicle damage which has to be one of the best on consoles I think there is a solid visual base feel to it.

I think it definitely comes across as a very polished game. But I've only played a few matches. So far, I'm very much impressed by what they've released, and the potential for further growth and expansion is very high. Just a really solid start for a new IP. I'm looking forward to playing more after work today, honestly!

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
The endless stream of racial slurs coming through my controller speaker pretty much ruined the atmosphere of this one for me. I wish that I saw the tip in the OT title before I went online.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SOME BIGS SCORES ON THE BOARD, BUT HELD BY THE OPPOSITION! IT'LL BE TOUGH TO BOUNCE BACK FROM THAT.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I think that if they take in the feedback now that it's out in the wild, and update the game based on the biggest complaints/suggestions it could be a real winner. the pieces are all there it sounds like they just need to be finessed. lots of great examples of games taking a warm launch and turning it into massive successes

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it looks really nice, plays nice and feels nice, but I don't think games like that are for me and I'm reaaaaally bad at it so far. I tried the 4 modes and I kinda liked the first one the most. Gridfall could be nice but I got knocked out very quickly every time. The point based ones feel very technical, and considering I barely know the game, I wasn't able to get into them. I haven't tried a lot of characters, just used the wrestler mostly, which seemed cool.

Oct 29, 2017
Another game that proves photorealistic graphics aren't the silver bullet. The art style graphics and destruction on this game are great.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looks great, DualSense utilization is fantastic, but I can't help but wish this also had a racing portion with the destruction aspects kept in place. You've got the characters and their respective vehicles as is, would be great to see as an added mode way down the line.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's pretty much as I expected but that's not a bad thing really. I played through the first free single player challenge and a few Arcade matches and it's actually pretty fun.

The car destruction is great, it's super satisfying to slam into an opponent at high speed and smash them into oblivion, sending the driver flying out the car.

It might not have a ton of depth but it works as a game you can play for an hour, have a blast then put it down and come back to it later, whenever you need a quick fix.

VanEpoch

Oct 29, 2017
I'm in the US, but it looks like I'm matchmaking in Europe - Is there a setting or something I'm missing?

OP
OP
Noisepurge

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017

The previous Twisted Metal unfortunately sold like 12 copies total and car combat genre isn't really flying off the shelves. I think it's a dead genre like arena shooters. A product of the 90s and we gotta wait for a generational return when another generation of kids start playing those :D

OP
OP
Noisepurge

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty much as I expected but that's not a bad thing really. I played through the first free single player challenge and a few Arcade matches and it's actually pretty fun.

The car destruction is great, it's super satisfying to slam into an opponent at high speed and smash them into oblivion, sending the driver flying out the car.

Due to the online nature it's actually sad that the Burnout style takedown slow-motion effects are only in single player :P

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm not big on popular multiplayer games (Rocket League, Fortnite, Fall Guys, etc...) But I'm really loving this. I could see myself squeezing in a few rounds every now and then.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
god......I don't know how they thought the initial $70 price tag for this was ever going to hold. This game would have probably bombed super hard if it wasn't for the switch in rev generation and PS+.

It's a fun game to pick and play for a bit.....but its going to get stale very fast for a lot of people I can see. Does not have a super hook in the gameplay like rocket league.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Buddy and I were able to get one match of Carnado in and it seems like matchmaking has completely broken now? I got three network errors and after restarting a few times we can't get past the matchmaking 16/16 players found screen.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Quite fun so far. Game really shines in Carnado, I think. I've not played all the modes.

I feel like people sometimes aren't noticing what team they are on, though, and it was driving me a little nuts.

caphisuada

Oct 27, 2017
Rocket League has the low entry but high skill ceiling to it which keeps people hooked. I played a few rounds yesterday and definitely liked what I played. but whether I'll keep going back will be interesting.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Game is fun. Character/car controls well. There is a bit of a steep learning curve as far as learning different characters/abilities are concerned.

I agree about the complaints regarding in-game music. Also, wish they had a small tutorial for all different game modes.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Had high hopes for this one but nothing about it is fun. Most importantly the driving and crashing doesn't feel good. The cars all being stuck to the ground is such a bad decision. There should be jumps and shit where cars are smashing together in air. All of the on foot stuff isn't compelling either. Thrown on top of that game modes that don't really add anything to the experience of driving around running into things, I just don't find this game fun at all. Gonna wait till my friends and I can all party up and play before I render a final verdict but the two essential components of this game, driving and wrecking are boring.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I have multiple online Mayhem matches under my belt now and a few Challenges. I'm digging it. I need to try out the other modes still.

It feels fresh and interesting. I want to play more, learn more, and keep honing my skills. I feel like I've only scratched the surface on all the characters too and their special moves. Was just playing Muna and her ability to trigger traps while on foot was kinda cool.

Honestly, I don't have an issue with (mostly) no music in matches. I'm used to this from other MP games, and when the final countdown music does come in during the last 30 seconds or so...it gets me hyped.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Buddy and I were able to get one match of Carnado in and it seems like matchmaking has completely broken now? I got three network errors and after restarting a few times we can't get past the matchmaking 16/16 players found screen.
I actually experiences that as well, but restarting the game corrected it for me. Sorry to hear your experience. :(

Last edited:

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
This is gonna become a nice go to fix for some online arcade gameplay for me. Only got a single victory in Mayhem so far but all my rounds have just been really good fun.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Years of experience from Destruction Derby, Motorstorm PR, and Wreckfest are coming in handy! 😈

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
First hour I was about to uninstall but I am so glad I did every single tutorial, FINALLY won my first online team match! Absolute fun, not sure how long this will last for me but this is good in spurts here and there for sure.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Had high hopes for this one but nothing about it is fun. Most importantly the driving and crashing doesn't feel good. The cars all being stuck to the ground is such a bad decision. There should be jumps and shit where cars are smashing together in air. All of the on foot stuff isn't compelling either. Thrown on top of that game modes that don't really add anything to the experience of driving around running into things, I just don't find this game fun at all. Gonna wait till my friends and I can all party up and play before I render a final verdict but the two essential components of this game, driving and wrecking are boring.

That's how I feel, sadly :(

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my friends are currently trying it and we are not having a great time. We've had so many party errors already and the game modes kind of suck.

Also I hate how quiet it is while playing, it's feels weird.