• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not quite sure how I feel about this one. I think the presentation, artstyle and character designs are cool, but not really sold on the gameplay. Something that should be as exciting as an actual demolition derby match instead left me feeling...vapid? I was eager to play on foot mostly but navigating and dodging feels kinda boring.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Surprised by the relatively high production value of this. I enjoyed what I´ve played so far and really like those Titanfall-elements.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
What's this about pressing the PS button and then square. I see the Activity Card, but it just says resume? And then I'm back in the game? I'm probably missing something super obvious.
Look for the card that has the headset icon, that's where you can mute the voice chat. Usually it's either the first or second card.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised by the relatively high production value of this. I enjoyed what I´ve played so far and really like those Titanfall-elements.

Yeah, I can see the Titanfall influence! Jumping out of your vehicle, running around on foot and wall running and collecting power to fill a bar to call in your special vehicle.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
Blue Fang's special ability DESTROYS everything on its way, right now it's my favourite character. Any idea which character is the one with a car that leaves a blazing trial?

I'll echo the earlier comments regarding the areas being too big though, feels there's too much downtime sometimes and all you do is chasing other players instead of being in action.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Blue Fang's special ability DESTROYS everything on its way, right now it's my favourite character. Any idea which character is the one with a car that leaves a blazing trial?

I'll echo the earlier comments regarding the areas being too big though, feels there's too much downtime sometimes and all you do is chasing other players instead of being in action.
That's Lupita's unique car, Wildfire.

dk0rt3z

Oct 27, 2017
My only wish is that you could double jump by default. I spend more time fighting to climb higher to get to the cars higher above. And, it is hard to hit others as well.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
So it was more destruction derby rather than Twisted Metal. Still waiting on that modern twisted metal Sony.

Really killing it in Carnado. Somehow I'm always on the winning team and on the top 3.

Will try Mayhem. I am too careless for Gridfall lol. Kinda don't like the one with the gear banking.

Characters are cool and not the usual tropes we see in hero character games. I like how each character has their own remix of the main theme when selecting them. Currently sticking with Ruta for high damage and huge AOE. Enjoyed Genesis and Bluefang too. Want to get better at Jian, boxtop and Shyft,

I was thinking why Shyft does not talk at all and maybe it was bugged, apparently he is using sign language. Really neat.

Farming the shards to get the hero car immediately instead of going around in the basic cars feels like breaking the game lol.

Would love to see a an additional skill/breaker for on foot and in hero car, maybe with the basic cars as well. More mobility actions like a dash/sprint for on foot and jump and roll in cars.

Only glaring con for now is the lack of a soundtrack in game.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

Xanders vehicle also has a special that rips apart the other cars!
I think they did a great job in making each character different to play.

Got to try Blue Fang now :)

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I only played a little of it yesterday, mainly the opening tutorials, and then a quick Arcade match. The game is really fun, and it's usually not my cup of tea, so I was pleasantly surprised. The graphics are very clean as well, and the controls felt good and responsive. Framerate was also really smooth!

Honestly, I think this game could really catch on once more people play it and get their hands on it. It's hectic and frantic, and I'm enjoying it so far. I'd like to see some more varied arenas in the future, which I'm sure is in the works. For a new IP in a genre that isn't as huge as it used to be, it's a great start to a potential franchise. Making it a free PS+ game was a very smart play by Sony and Lucid, as I feel more eyes will get on it that way. Some games you just need to play for yourself, and see if it clicks. As a non-vehicular combat gamer, it definitely surprised me, and me and some friends are going to try to sync up playing together at some point this week. If it had split screen local play, it could easily become a party game you play with friends when hanging out.

The mechanics aren't overbearing, so it's easy to get in to, then it's more a matter of mastering those mechanics. Congrats to shinobi602 and the team for launching their game, and a really fun one at that!

Feb 8, 2018
The visuals and presentation are great as expected but the gameplay itself isn't that interesting but I guess it's more fun for those who play it very well like the YouTube video I came across below. I also hate the small font used when showing result it's so tiny and unreadable

The gameplay while driving seems mostly okay in the video, the handling doesn't necessary look like something i'd enjoy. For me The only interesting on foot moment is when the player jumps out of the moving vehicle and lands right on top of the upper platform.

Last edited:

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
This is the type of game that needs mixing up pretty regularly. Very enjoyable in short bursts but not enough meat on the bones.

I've also spent longer matchmaking for games of Gridfall than I have playing Gridfall, which has put me off that mode very quickly eventhough I really like the idea. Maybe they could dump eliminated players in to a losers arena instead of just throwing them out completely.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the ultimate abilities are so much better than the others. The big spinning blades and the electric shock abilities for example, destroy everything without much effort, but other's like being able to drive faster or go invisible seem almost useless in comparison. It also feels like the ultimate abilities re-charge too quickly. Another balance quark (issue?) is that it's much better to grab the crystals in the beginning of the game instead of getting in one of the generic cars. They crystals fill meter so fast and let you call in your unique car much quicker. The game hasn't been out a full day yet so it's impossible to talk balance just yet, but these feel like they could potentially be issues.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Some of the ultimate abilities are so much better than the others. The big spinning blades and the electric shock abilities for example, destroy everything without much effort, but other's like being able to drive faster or go invisible seem almost useless in comparison. It also feels like the ultimate abilities re-charge too quickly. Another balance quark (issue?) is that it's much better to grab the crystals in the beginning of the game instead of getting in one of the generic cars. They crystals fill meter so fast and let you call in your unique car much quicker. The game hasn't been out a full day yet so it's impossible to talk balance just yet, but these feel like they could potentially be issues.

Yeah for solo runs it's definitely unbalanced now.
For teams I think it's much better and I think that's their main goal. You can even hear the speaker talking about other teams overtaking you when you play solo lol

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
why are people still hung up about this game formerly being $70?

like, yes, they originally were going to sell the game at launch for $70. But...they didn't. While I can't say for sure, I imagine that they were initially expecting to have a full, robust game ready last November, but, because of the state of the world, and how it's severely impacted game development, they made the decision to not only delay the game, but release the game as part of PS+ to give it the best shot at finding its audience.

my assumption is that with that major shift, they scaled down their initial plans for the release of the game, and focused on getting the modes they had as polished and fun as possible in the 3 month delay, and then find ways to monetize during this PS+ period. As a game designer, I know how quickly plans can change, and how it's necessary to adapt to those changes and try to do the best work you can so you can release something you're proud of, and that hopefully players enjoy.

I'm probably sensitive to it, but I find comments like "they were going to release this for $70" to be incredibly insulting and unnecessary. It's not like this game is bad like that one wolf game that released last year. It's a legit fun game, and it's currently free to play for PS+ subscribers. I don't see the problem here. What they were gonna do is irrelevant. What they have done is what matters to me.

The game is a new IP, from a developer that's not 300+ people strong. Not only that, but it's a launch window game for a brand new console that has a very small install base. Unlike, say, Spider-Man or Sackboy, it doesn't have the cushion of being multi-platform to help recoup investment costs. And like I mentioned in the OT a while back, there's a very high chance that when the game is finally removed from PS+ in 60 days, retailers selling the physical copy will probably drop the price as well, as they'll want to move stock before the game loses heat. It's also possible that Sony will cut the price of the game on the PS Store, depending on what metrics their analytics team gathers during this 60 day PS+ period. On top of that, it's not like the team is done with the game. They're still working hard on content and features that will be rolled out over time, especially if the game garners positive word of mouth.

I don't see this as an Avengers type situation, where the game was received lukewarmly by players from the start (while also having high expectations placed on it due to the strength of the IP). It looks to me that players are having fun with what's currently in the game, while obviously expressing constructive criticism about what they feel is missing. This is a good sign for things to come, and I hope the devs are encouraged by the reaction and continue to move forward with their plans for it.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
As a Plus game, is alright. $70 is a BIG pill to swallow for this, you might as well buy a $30 12 month key for PS+ and use the rest for Returnal ;)

Quigoon

Jan 28, 2021
Anyone else struggling a bit to read most text? Seems like the entire UI needs to be zoomed in more. I have to lean forward to read ability descriptions on a 65", and that scoreboard at the end is so small. The customization screen is the same, too. Text is way too tiny it's like I am playing a PC game meant to be played on a monitor.

I do appreciate they at least let you change the size of the various in-match warnings and alerts, change the minimap size, team/enemy colors etc.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else struggling a bit to read most text? Seems like the entire UI needs to be zoomed in more. I have to lean forward to read ability descriptions on a 65", and that scoreboard at the end is so small. The customization screen is the same, too. Text is way too tiny it's like I am playing a PC game meant to be played on a monitor.

I do appreciate they at least let you change the size of the various in-match warnings and alerts, change the minimap size, team/enemy colors etc.
Yeah I found it quite tricky to read. Like in the tutorial where it says push the stick left or right but it just looked like an ant had crawled onto my TV

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain how buying the singleplayer content works? I bought Mutual Respect and Leader of the Pack but how do I get One Small Step?

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The tutorial was fun. Anyone having trouble getting online. I keep getting a network error. Gonna restart my router but my internet in general seems fine so i don't know.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alright yeah I'm just about this game. It's a ton of fun. I had only played Mayhem for many hours, but I finally tried some of the other modes a bit ago. They're nearly all great, which is kind of surprising for a game like this. Carnado in particular is a fucking riot.

There's more intricacies to the impacts than it may initially appear as well. In the beginning I assumed it was just kind of set damage depending on if you activated your charges, but it does actually matter where and how you hit your opponent as well as how your charges are utilized. Like if you manage to dead-on t-bone someone at a full speed forward charge, you can nearly kill them in one shot.

There's some improvements that need to be made, but I'm really having a blast with the core game here. It's also the first game in a very, very long time where I can actually have fun voice chatting with strangers. In Mayhem, it's basically just a lot of people yelling and laughing. Yeah I know there's still horrible people out there, but I've been pretty lucky so far.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I forget the controller has a mic. All the hot mic conversations in this game...

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My own personal initial reactions:

+ Game visually looks great
+ Big diverse roster of characters
+ Feels like there's plenty of room for growth

- No incentivized leveling system (biggest issue for me)
- No clear way to look at character abilities prior to character select (multiplayer)
- Party based MM keeps error-ing out
- "Story" paywall is a bummer :/

I see a ton of potential, but on release day there's not a ton of incentive to keep playing & leveling up beyond just learning the basics - which are pretty basic (run into others). I kind of wish you had to unlock characters or there was a battle pass to work through for car/character skins etc. Maybe I'm in the minority *shrugs*

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Had a few games, even won one, sometimes I do terrible, no idea what the difference is.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Fuck the micro transactions in this game
The cosmetics are awful

$6 for the default skin in a different color

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
I'm addicted to this game. But I'm just enjoying only Mayhem mode, others are so complex.

Feb 8, 2018
why are people still hung up about this game formerly being $70?

like, yes, they originally were going to sell the game at launch for $70. But...they didn't. While I can't say for sure, I imagine that they were initially expecting to have a full, robust game ready last November, but, because of the state of the world, and how it's severely impacted game development, they made the decision to not only delay the game, but release the game as part of PS+ to give it the best shot at finding its audience.

my assumption is that with that major shift, they scaled down their initial plans for the release of the game, and focused on getting the modes they had as polished and fun as possible in the 3 month delay, and then find ways to monetize during this PS+ period. As a game designer, I know how quickly plans can change, and how it's necessary to adapt to those changes and try to do the best work you can so you can release something you're proud of, and that hopefully players enjoy.

I'm probably sensitive to it, but I find comments like "they were going to release this for $70" to be incredibly insulting and unnecessary. It's not like this game is bad like that one wolf game that released last year. It's a legit fun game, and it's currently free to play for PS+ subscribers. I don't see the problem here. What they were gonna do is irrelevant. What they have done is what matters to me.

The game is a new IP, from a developer that's not 300+ people strong. Not only that, but it's a launch window game for a brand new console that has a very small install base. Unlike, say, Spider-Man or Sackboy, it doesn't have the cushion of being multi-platform to help recoup investment costs. And like I mentioned in the OT a while back, there's a very high chance that when the game is finally removed from PS+ in 60 days, retailers selling the physical copy will probably drop the price as well, as they'll want to move stock before the game loses heat. It's also possible that Sony will cut the price of the game on the PS Store, depending on what metrics their analytics team gathers during this 60 day PS+ period. On top of that, it's not like the team is done with the game. They're still working hard on content and features that will be rolled out over time, especially if the game garners positive word of mouth.

I don't see this as an Avengers type situation, where the game was received lukewarmly by players from the start (while also having high expectations placed on it due to the strength of the IP). It looks to me that players are having fun with what's currently in the game, while obviously expressing constructive criticism about what they feel is missing. This is a good sign for things to come, and I hope the devs are encouraged by the reaction and continue to move forward with their plans for it.

Going by what I saw (Again I don't own a PS5) Some of the effects like sparks are nicely realized, in combination with vehicle damage which has to be one of the best on consoles I think there is a solid visual base feel to it.

Last edited:

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else constantly disconnecting? I don't think it's my internet, but this is the fourth game out of 6 I got booted from. Playing wired, speed test on ps5 are as good as ever

EDIT: Game just hard crashed when reconnecting to servers

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tapping out at level 8, I can't go on any longer.

I may return if I ever have trouble sleeping at night and need some help.