• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
I kept playing though and after just a couple of matches I couldn't put it down. Super addictive. It's lacking a little in depth, but there is some there. And it makes up for it with just raw fun. I've only played Mayhem so far and had a blast.

I am super glad they decided to make this free though. 70$ would have been kind of a hard sell for the game in it's state right now. I hope they continue to improve it and add content.
This is about where I am at as well. It's just pure dumb fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeaaa played two matches...I think that's it for me. Maybe with a group it be fun but this one multiplayer game I ain't vibing with

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, it seems alright but pretty basic. If it focused on racing with some clever use of jumping out of vehicles, I'd be more interested. These arenas are pretty samey and the loop already kind of grew stale for me after a couple sessions.

Likely will be uninstalled to make SSD room soon.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
Really enjoying this. Not a huge online fan, but this is really easy to get into and try and find different characters that you like.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
This is actually really fun.
Very suitable for PS+ too, not sure if I would have bought it at full price though.
But I'm getting destruction derby vibes :)

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I've never successfully been taken over and I've avoided every takeover, I think speed does matter but you accelerate from 0-60 in less than .5 seconds here, it's not really an issue unless you're blocked in against a wall or something I guess? I do successfully take down other players from time to time, but it feels as though they don't understand the mechanic.
Fwiw you absolutely do not go from zero to sixty in half a second in the heavier cars, so I think that can play in as well.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Mayhem and Carnado are the best modes, superfun and simple!

Also, you can mute the voice chat just by pressing the PS Button and hitting SQUARE on the activity card, it's not that big of a deal come on
Apparently it is a big deal, because I hear people farting and screaming to their kids in every online match lmao

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Woof. Is there anything more going on here? Seems incredibly shallow. And what the hell are the seemingly completely random hits to one side or the other? And no I don't mean the right stick left or right evade. I assume I'm not the only one that is getting those?

I don't want to judge too quickly, but Rocket League it ain't. I feel like I've already seen all the game has to offer one match in. Guess I'll play a few more.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
More enjoyable than I expected; great use of the pad and some interesting mechanics in team modes. It's no Rocket League v1.0 but it's a fine addition to the service. As long as Lucid/SIE stick to it and improve on the formula, it should be around for a while.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like people in EU servers don' t talk that much, probably simply because almost everyone speaks a different language lol had multiple english, french, spanish and italians together.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Fairly shallow but enjoyed what I played. I haven't had any lag issues at all (UK) but matchmaking could do with being speedier. Gridfall can be over in a minute, with little post KO presentation or fanfare but it take almost twice as long to get back in a game. It should at least show the remaining match and let you decide whether to stick around or move on and as has been mentioned, make It far clearer/simpler to mute individuals or the whole lobby. I'll give it some more time tomorrow evening with my brother.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I played a few games last night and had a stupid grin on my face. Great call to release it on Plus, as I had no problems finding games at 9:30pm Pacific US. No idea if it was a mix of bots and players, but since I got into games quickly, it was all good.

I feel like there's more depth to uncover in between the unique characters, on foot & car interactions, grabbing the crystals, your special car/move, the different types of vehicles, and learning the map's traps...and I have only played Mayhem so far.

It's just silly fun, which is exactly what I needed right now.

PS: As I was looking through the Character Screen I noticed the main musical theme subtly changes depending on which one you have highlighted. Nice touch. 😊

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The ONE thing that I can't stand and keeps me from enjoying this game... aside from holding the right stick down, you can't move the camera while driving. Constantly using bursts because I try to look to my side or move the camera up a little.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
When you start to improve and doing takedowns more naturally, the game really starts growing on you. They did a poor job with newcomers approach, tutorials are awful and it needs some practice to get used to everything

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Ever since the Grindstone thread where a guy said it sucked because he played it for 10 minutes and didn't understand the mechanics, I'm wary of Era's "Welp, I played one match and this game is bad!" type posts. Looking forward to trying it myself this afternoon!

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Add me to the list of people wanting a global mute voice chat setting. I know you can mute each match or create a private party, still would be an easy thing to put in for Sony I think.

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
the game has some problems but i really like the core gameplay.
between the not easily mutable voice chat, no background music and that annoying anouncer, i feel like it´s best to mute the complete game and put on music or podcasts.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think in-game needs some music or something. The game's weird because it's simultaneously lacking in presentation but also excels in it.

Like all the drivers are pretty cool and have a lot of character, the match intros are cool, and the menus and tutorials and stuff are great. But then the after-match stuff is super lacking and basic, and it missing stuff like music in-game makes it feel a little empty.

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
Trying not to echo what other have already said, there's quite a few issues. I played it for a good 3 hours last night, it finally clicked a bit and I won 4 in a row.

There really needs to be more actions you can do in this game. I understand they want the simplified "pick up and play" aspect, but in the car all you can do is boost forward, and boost to the side. Once you use both of these, all you can do is simply drive while you wait for cooldowns, so it's pretty boring during this moment. Sure, someone can hop onto your car and you gotta fight to stay in, but the controls for that are not clearly explained. I don't know what I'm doing when it flashes square or circle. Mashing the left stick to shake off is self explanatory though. You can also jump out of the car temporarily to collect gems to build meter, but I don't really want to do that if I can instead spend more time hitting people and building up my score.

On foot can be kinda fun, but I find that the melee attack and special move isn't very useful because you're almost never near someone else on foot. It feels good to wall run and jump, but a lot of gems and platforms are *barely* out of reach which is very frustrating. I get that those areas are reserved for people who went the "correct" route and platformed their way to those areas, but it's sometimes hard to tell where you can reach from the ground.

Minor nitpick, but make the damage counters increments of at least 10. Getting 1 point for a light hit feels very underwhelming. If it said 10, I'd feel better about it.

Stage hazards aren't very fun or interesting. Big hole in the ground, huge spinning blade, cylinders that pop out of the ground, they all just feel like they're in the way. I want boost pads, or ramps, or something like that. Though it may make it more difficult to hit people if there are movement enhancing hazards, so I get it if they didn't want to put those in.

There's so much focus on the characters and not the vehicles. Sure, the vehicles are expendable in this game and you only get your hero car once in awhile, but it would be nice to at least see a model of the hero car at the character select screen. The background video of the hero car isn't as crystal clear as just a slow, rotating model of it like other car combat games. I had to go to the practice mode character select to see what all the abilities are, since there's not enough time during an online match to read every character/car's abilities. Then I had to go to customize mode to actually see the hero car models. It would help if there was just a "Characters" mode where you can just look at them and their vehicles to see what they do. Or just put their abilities in the customize mode.

I know this game started as a Destruction Derby project somewhat, and as someone who enjoyed these types of games back in the day, it's a mixed feeling. They do have some cool ideas in here, but it just needs more polish and gameplay elements. I'm a huge Twisted Metal fan, and it would be cool if they looked at that game a bit for inspiration as well. There's very few dull moments in Twisted Metal. You're always trying to do something, be it looking for items, boosting, shooting, chasing down, ramming, healing, deciding what weapon to use, etc. I'm not expecting all of this in Destruction All Stars, but the idea of always having something to do would help.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
played a couple matches, i think the core gameplay is really fun but there's some presentation jank. like many others have said, the lack of music in matches is awkward and the maps are a bit bland

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
played a couple of match of mayhem and gridfall

- This game need music ASAP!
- more players on match or smaller maps
- some mechanic to wreck cars while on foot (launch grandades or something)
- more custom(specially on cars)
- more variety in the maps

BTW Gridfall is fun

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused, during the tutorial it showed my how you can get on other players cars. But in the actual match I couldn't do it at all despite jumping right on other players cars?

May 22, 2018
Yup, this game is stupid fun. Making it a PS+ game was a good move since not many would have paid $70. Looking forward to seeing how the game grows over time.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I'm confused, during the tutorial it showed my how you can get on other players cars. But in the actual match I couldn't do it at all despite jumping right on other players cars?
Use triangle. I does not always seem to work, though. I've been able to do it while jumping and while dodging, but haven't figured out how to trigger it reliably.

Feb 8, 2018
the game has some problems but i really like the core gameplay.
between the not easily mutable voice chat, no background music and that annoying anouncer, i feel like it´s best to mute the complete game and put on music or podcasts.

I'm actually thankful not being able to play in its current state. Details like you mentioned take me out of the experience. Thread seems to be a mixed bag as well. Can't be bad that DS allstars exists but I'd exchange it with a new Destruction Derby or Motorstorm if I could.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I really like the gameplay allot . It's very fun and even if you die, you feel like playing again. I really really love this game.
Is this game developed by Sony ? Is it a first party title ? Or just time exclusive like how rocket league was ( I think it was exclusive I forgot )

I read it was made by Lucid .. don't know these guys . Are they Sony studio ?

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
I really like the gameplay allot . It's very fun and even if you die, you feel like playing again. I really really love this game.
Is this game developed by Sony ? Is it a first party title ? Or just time exclusive like how rocket league was ( I think it was exclusive I forgot )

I read it was made by Lucid .. don't know these guys . Are they Sony studio ?

lucid is a third party studio but the game is published by sony

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Makes me long for a new Twisted Metal or the like. Say what you will about the tone or aesthetic of that series, but the gameplay had depth in spades.

Here I'm just following a very basic pattern. There's no ebb or flow to the match. It just maintains one constant kind of dull level.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have PS5, so haven't played this game yet. But I'm reading posts here and there about lacking music in matches and... WTF! These types of games really need music and it's so strange to see a game like Destruction AllStars without in-game music!

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
How do you turn off in-game voice?

I'm 2 for 2 games where the first thing someone says is calling everyone slurs.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
What makes me laugh is they bin off the Driveclub devs who made a pretty decent game and then proceed to have this made by an internal studio which is utter garbage and will probably try and charge €80 for it. its insanity.