• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
I'm absolutely enjoying. But all the enemies I want to attack are teleporting because of the fucking lag.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Someone really needs to update the OP with info so people know to make their own voice chat party to eliminate any voice chat through the game.

Feb 8, 2018
It is the type of game I may try to find out how good the contrast between vehicle and on foot gameplay really is. Other than that the style (especially characters) is not for me.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'll say it feels really nice to boot up a brand new PS5 game again. Since Christmas most of my time on the PS5 has been spent with PS4 games. This looks nice and the haptics feel really good.

Everything else.. eh. I may have filed this away as "not for me" by the end of the day. The voice chat stuff seems so obnoxiously stupid.

May 5, 2018
Sony should get these guys to do a next gen Destruction Derby! Enjoying it so far.
That's kind of what I always thought this was though right? I guess its a new IP but when they first showed this game off I thought "Oh wow they're rebooting Destruction Derby but making it an online hero game." Not to mention the 1st trailer had an arena set in London which made me think that was paying homage to Psygnosis' British roots, but no Lucid is also a British Developer so they're just showcasing an arena of their homeland ha.

Anyways good to know that this game sounds like its good going by this thread. I'd probably get PS Plus on PS5 to play it if I had a PS5.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the game has a ton of potential tbh. It's original while still being sort of familiar and also fun. Fun character designs.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
They didn't decide to give it away at the last minute because it was a 95, it seems. I will say props to Sony for doing that rather than sully their 1P rep on a game that in no way should be $69.99. Seems some fun to be had in short doses, but like others, not sure it's earned a long-term spot in my precious limited hard drive. Give it another fair go tonight though.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This was my most anticipated PS5 launch title.

Played a few matches last night and it was genuine, good fun. I feel like they over-delivered.

Really hope this game does well, we need more like it.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Is there a single-player component or bots or is this thing tethered to online MP?

EDIT: Never mind. I saw the mention of SP in the OP.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong but I was like last place in the games I played. I tried to ram into people but it didn't seem like I was getting any points.
I never get any of the cars at the start, it feels like I'm just slower than everyone else?
This game is awful for hearing people through mics. Oh my gosh, all the game audio and screaming children.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
All those complaining about lag. I found in my settings that my region was auto set to the UK even though I'm in the US. May want to check that.

Sevvybgoode

Oct 29, 2017
This has some of the same dev team who worked on the project Gotham series eh? I was kind of hoping that it would be more than just a destruction derby BR and would have some proper courses etc. After playing the tutorial I figured it's not for me although I'm really not one for pvp so should have know better I suppose. Seems like if you're into those games it might be decent though and the dual sense support is great.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
For people lagging, check that your server location in the settings is set correctly. Mine defaulted to Europe even though I'm in the US.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
I'll say it feels really nice to boot up a brand new PS5 game again. Since Christmas most of my time on the PS5 has been spent with PS4 games. This looks nice and the haptics feel really good.

Everything else.. eh. I may have filed this away as "not for me" by the end of the day. The voice chat stuff seems so obnoxiously stupid.

Yes, I think I'm enjoying this game way more than I should, solely based on the fact it's a new PS5 exclusive game, with all DualSense bells and whistles included lol

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Mayhem and Carnado are the best modes, superfun and simple!

Also, you can mute the voice chat just by pressing the PS Button and hitting SQUARE on the activity card, it's not that big of a deal come on

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
My two complains right now are
- no option to disable voice chat
- lack of music or ambient sounds during matches. There is too much silence..

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Okay so this is pretty fun and gets additional points for being very unique.

Personally, I think this is less Twisted Metal, more Destruction Derby meets Overwatch.

Also, some really nice visuals. They could have absolutely released this as a PS4 game but that extra P55 shine is evident.

I'm just enjoying the SP mode to be honest. It's damn fun.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Annnnnnd deleted. I honestly can't believe they thought at one point that this would sell at 70 dollars.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's okay I guess. I don't know. It's not like, offensively bad, but it's just boring. Which is pretty damning sentiment to be associated with a video game.

Like I don't think it's terrible or anything, but there's just not a lot to it. It's kind of mindless. For me the big issue is that, right away you can tell there's not a tonne of depth here, it's not worth investing a lot of time into. Which is a problem, for a multiplayer only game that literally lives and dies on long term engagement.

Latency is a huge factor too. Often you'll have hit your ram and you won't damage your opponent because you're out of sync, head to head collisions will often result in damage on only one side. There's no viable competitive game here.

It just doesn't feel like a finished game either. Like the premier mode is mayhem, but if you don't come first, there's no celebration of your results. So only 1 guy in 10 gets to feel good about that whole 10+ minute experience. It's just bad design, it doesn't feel carefully considered or as if it's the result of iterative feedback from testers and whatnot.

I just don't think there's a lot of space for a game like this anyway. It can be fun, but it doesn't double down on what makes it fun, for instance if you're going to make a casual multiplayer game with no real competitive viability, that's fine, but you've got to double down on things like variety and fun factor. There should be music in the lobbies, there should be a wide variety of courses for people to play. It's not playing to those strengths so it begs the question why it exists at all.

As it stands, it's one of the more poorly designed multiplayer games I've played on console in a long time. A mishmash of features that really just don't fit together all that well. One example is the vehicle take over system. If your opponent mashes the stick to shake you off, you will never get a successful takeover. That means that vehicle takeover system is useless, and therefore there's rarely an opportunity to interact between people on foot, and vehicles.

It's just half-baked basically. I don't know what to say, but Lucid obviously just took on more than they could chew. I played Switchblade and honestly, that game is fun, if it had more players I would have really enjoyed it but I'm not sure who that game was made for either to be honest. Shame because the studio obviously has talent.

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Played for a few hours this morning and I had a pretty good time. I'm not crazy about Mayhem, but Stockpile and Gridfall are really fun and they both take the most advantage of the on foot gameplay.

The one negative so far is the quality and lack of skins. They did the bare minimum here.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
My two complains right now are
- no option to disable voice chat
- lack of music or ambient sounds during matches. There is too much silence..
When voice chat starts, press the PS Button and then press SQUARE on the Activity card to mute the voice chat. 3 seconds and it's done

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
If your opponent mashes the stick to shake you off, you will never get a successful takeover. That means that vehicle takeover system is useless, and therefore there's rarely an opportunity to interact between people on foot, and vehicles.
I'm not 100% certain on the specifics yet, but I think that the defender in a takeover builds their defensive meter faster at high speeds- at low speeds shaking the stick it feels like the attacker always wins.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
The on-foot aspect is completely aimless and pretty pointless, outside of collecting gems, which in itself doesn't feel great and isn't really fun.

The melee combat is terrible and the takeover system doesn't work at all unless the defender has no idea what they're doing.

Everything you can do on-foot could have been better implemented built around using the vehicle if they weren't chasing that hero shooter or Fortnite crowd and failing at it.

OP
OP
Noisepurge

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
The on-foot aspect is completely aimless and pretty pointless, outside of collecting gems, which in itself doesn't feel great and isn't really fun.

The melee combat is terrible and the takeover system doesn't work at all unless the defender has no idea what they're doing.

Everything you can do on-foot could have been better implemented built around using the vehicle if they weren't chasing that hero shooter or Fortnite crowd and failing at it.

play Stockpile, you´ll get the on-foot aspect then.

and it´s not a "melee combat system" it´s just a knockdown mechanic to defend banks.

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
For me, the lack of oomph to wrecking cars and KOing on foot characters is the most offputting. there needs to be more crunch to everything to make the player go "wooohooo!" when wrecking a car or killing a character.

and the game misses an asskicking soundtrack for the matches. i think other than that it is a totally ok game for what it is, people seem overly harsh with the game so far. i wouldn´t spend 80€ on this for sure but as a "free" Ps Plus game? really good offering imo.

none of those games release with extended features these days and they already said they will rollout more stuff over time so the "its barebones" opinions are pointless. better to get the core right before adding shit left and right and the core could definitely use some work and finetuning.

Oct 27, 2017
When voice chat starts, press the PS Button and then press SQUARE on the Activity card to mute the voice chat. 3 seconds and it's done

I've just been in a lobby where what sounded like a 7-8 year old girl was playing with her Dad. Cute, but not something anyone else particularly needed to hear. She also kept coughing (hope she's ok!) which lead to some other guy piping up to tell her to shut up and stop coughing. It was just an all round dreadful experience.

There needs to be an in game, in lobby, single button press mute for all voice chat. In Cold War I press R3 to mute all and that's it. Anything else is a design failure.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not 100% certain on the specifics yet, but I think that the defender in a takeover builds their defensive meter faster at high speeds- at low speeds shaking the stick it feels like the attacker always wins.

I've never successfully been taken over and I've avoided every takeover, I think speed does matter but you accelerate from 0-60 in less than .5 seconds here, it's not really an issue unless you're blocked in against a wall or something I guess? I do successfully take down other players from time to time, but it feels as though they don't understand the mechanic.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been really looking forward to this. Last night I started playing and While I was having fun at first, I found it a little...empty? Didn't seem like there was a whole lot to it.

I kept playing though and after just a couple of matches I couldn't put it down. Super addictive. It's lacking a little in depth, but there is some there. And it makes up for it with just raw fun. I've only played Mayhem so far and had a blast.

I am super glad they decided to make this free though. 70$ would have been kind of a hard sell for the game in it's state right now. I hope they continue to improve it and add content.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
play Stockpile, you´ll get the on-foot aspect then.

and it´s not a "melee combat system" it´s just a knockdown mechanic to defend banks.

I've played a few stockpile matches and the combat or knockdown mechanic doesn't really amount to much honestly.

Like you or the other person get moved off the spot for a few seconds? In this case, an actual melee (or better yet, any actual on-foot combat) would be more engaging than "push person away" mechanic.