• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
That is a hell of a title, considering everyone (including me) will think of the hugely popular game first, instead of some random streamer.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah maybe put "Streamer "Destiny" because everyone is going to think you are talking about the game.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Destiny is an idiot. Everyone remembers him for bodying JonTron that one time, but in the conversation with his followers as soon as Jon hung up he spoke a bunch how he thinks it's fine to say r*tarded

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
He's been a racist for a very long time, it's not news. Dropping racist "hot takes" and then half-heartedly backpedaling while being condescending when he gets called out is valuable content for him.

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
Destiny is "enlightened centrism" personified. I can't stand the guy.
Recommended watch:

Last edited:

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Should put Streamer Destiny in the title. I thought this was about the Destiny game haha. Never heard of this guy before.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The dude that died on the hill of being able to say the n-word is racist? Shocked.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ban OP for the terrible thread
And then ban them again for watching Destiny

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't be watching Destiny or caring about anything he says or does.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Destiny is "enlightened centrism" personified. I can't stand the guy.
Recommended watch:

Yup this is an essential video for anyone to get caught up on Destiny's bullshit and bigotry defending.

Don't forget when he got perma banned here.
Wew lads. It's really late and there are a lot of ideas running around here. I'll chime in with my two cents, but this post is gonna be pretty sloppy so bear with me.

Firstly, I am not your friendly, neighborhood progressive. If your previous view of me was that, erase that from your head right now. I do not care, intrinsically, about minorities, or women, or people, or racism, or anything like that. It is not part of my rhetoric to convince people that these things are morally bad, it is not part of my characters to be inherently concerned with these things. I believe that feminism and equal opportunities for minorities tend to produce better outcomes worldwide. This is why I end up at many of the same positions that progressives end up.

I am repeating this one more time, my internal thought process is not motivated by any pure, morally virtuous desire to help people or make people feel better.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's talk about homophobic and racial slurs.

From a personal point of view, I don't think any word, inherently, should be off limits or out of bounds. There are times when using extremely vulgar language can achieve a great effect.

This, so far, should be undeniable.

Does racist language make a person racist? Does homophobic language make a person homophobic? Not necessarily, as much as it might upset some of you to consider this.

A person using homophobic language is not necessarily homophobic, though they oftentimes are unintentionally spreading homophobia.

This seems like a meaningless distinction, but I believe there's a great deal of difference between telling someone they are unintentionally empowering homophobic people vs being a homophobic person. Maybe you don't care, but to the person receiving the message, it matters, trust me.

As a public figure who lives in a society I have to be mindful of how I speak. Ultimately the way my message is interpreted by a viewer is my responsibility, or at least I believe I have some due diligence to ensure people aren't taking away the wrong message from my speech. This is why I generally avoid things like "faggot" or other types of heavy racial humor, and it's why I've been trying to edit out things like "retarded" and "autistic" from my vocabulary. I don't like the idea that people watching me could get an idea that I am homophobic in a way they might be, and I don't like the idea that racist people could listen to me and find companionship in what I'm saying, or some kind of affirmation in their horrible worldviews. I've written about this more extensively here, if you care to read.

Do I say offensive jokes privately that I would never say on stream? You better believe it. But why, what's the difference?

I have never much been concerned with the words themselves, but rather the thoughts/ideas they can spread.

A community that openly uses the word "faggot" probably feels unwelcoming because there are still a lot of gamers (and, larger, elements of society) that still act incredibly homophobic. If a friend of mine uses "faggot" in some insulting way in a private setting, I don't generally think twice about them saying it. If a stranger uses that word, I'm very uncomfortable around them because I don't know if they're actually a homophobic person.

These distinctions may be meaningless to you, and to some extent you can argue that using racial/homophobic slurs in ANY context should be off limits, and I'm fine with tackling those arguments. I generally don't like being called "racist" or "homophobic" because I believe my body of work (can u call a utube channel that tho) speaks for itself, but if you believe that my actions help to spread homophobic thought, maybe you don't care to make the distinction.

I'm sleeping and I'll answer what I can when I wake up, and maybe even proofread/edit this if there are major fuckups.

Stay safe my children.

Oct 27, 2017
If you watch the second clip, it is just Destiny flipping through comments about the first clip.

This shit of misleading readers who cannot watch through the content themselves has to be a punishable offense. You shouldn't have the privileges of posting content if you are going to mislead the audience.

Just shit OP overall:
• Failure to distinguish a personality from the game
• Failure to provide quotes for the content
• Misinterpreting/lying about the second clip
• Doing fake-edit

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
He did a weird stream on the sexual abuse stuff to determine if someone is guilty or not. Or if the allegations are legit or not.

Felt super weird that one. Atleast to me.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is there an update that is in actuality a non-update? OP makes it sound like Destiny actually grew as a person and changed his racist mind but the "update" video is him just reacting to a LSF post, where he doesn't back down at all.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Destiny was always an asshole, since I watched him in SC2 days. Not surprised

I don't understand the second clip though? I only saw him reading comments

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
In some countries It's not known to be something extremely racist for the USA. We still have "blackface" in Spain when they try to portray the black king Baltassar (From the 3 wise men) on January 5th.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
If you watch the second clip, it is just Destiny flipping through comments about the first clip.

This shit of misleading readers who cannot watch through the content themselves has to be a punishable offense. You shouldn't have the privileges of posting content if you are going to mislead the audience.

Just shit OP overall:
• Failure to distinguish a personality from the game
• Failure to provide quotes for the content
• Misinterpreting/lying about the second clip
• Doing fake-edit

All of the above.

Come on OP.

Tangerine

May 24, 2019
This is the guy who stood up to Jontron and his racist views!? He turns out to be a huge racist, homophobe himself!? I don't know who to trust/which way is up or down anymore. Nothing makes sense. I don't know who I hate more, Destiny, jontron or myself for that matter; after reading white fragility and realising what a racist I am and I didnt even know it. Depressing world we live in.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the guy who stood up to Jontron and his racist views!? He turns out to be a huge racist, homophobe himself!? I don't know who to trust/which way is up or down anymore. Nothing makes sense. I don't know who I hate more, Destiny, jontron or myself for that matter; after reading white fragility and realising what a racist I am and I didnt even know it. Depressing world we live in.
He's still on it:

This very recent vid is probably one of the most ruthless beatdowns of one of the supposedly more famous Neo-Nazis in the US (just what I heard, I didn't know him) I've seen in any debate to be honest. I'm pretty there were quite a lot a fewer Nazis after this debate than before.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
He says it's not a big deal compared to the really "big deal" problems in the world, whatever those are (he doesn't specify).

It's a common argument people make when they look for excuses for their beliefs, or in this case, the apathy which comes from not being affected by something.

The argument doesn't work; just because there may be more pressing matters, that doesn't disqualify other, "subjectively less" important stuff from being discussed and fought against.

OP
OP
Deathbysound

Deathbysound

Oct 27, 2017
He says it's not a big deal compared to the really "big deal" problems in the world, whatever those are (he doesn't specify).

It's a common argument people make when they look for excuses for their beliefs, or in this case, the apathy which comes from not being affected by something.

The argument doesn't work; just because there may be more pressing matters, that doesn't disqualify other, "subjectively less" important stuff from being discussed and fought against.

Agree.

Well said.

Oct 25, 2017
"Blackface isn't really that bad in a vacuum" is such an awful and dumb take to have, but I also don't really think it's thread worthy, since Destiny really doesn't have a platform here to begin with.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
In some countries It's not known to be something extremely racist for the USA. We still have "blackface" in Spain when they try to portray the black king Baltassar (From the 3 wise men) on January 5th.
spain--reyes-antigua_t750x550.jpg

It is also extremely racist in Spain, it's just white people excuse the racism of blackface by saying it's a tradition and it's out of respect to black people to paint themselves black like they're a costume. The fact is they don't bother to get black people to portray the Three Kings when they could, so predominantly they have Caucasians donning blackface. Caucasians in Spain probably don't care how black Spanish people feel or how blackface in parades impact them so they keep doing racist actions.

Ms Hankö said: "It's frustrating because a lot of it comes from ignorance, but what is worse is the response we get when we [black people] demand accountability, which is none or has quite an aggressive response.​
"There is no will to understand or to have any kind of sensibility towards what black people feel in Spain, which is still seen as a non-reality, we can't be Spanish because we are black."​
Ms Hankö described the Alcoy case as a great example of the lack of willingness to understand and respect a black person's experience in Spain.​
She said: "People hide behind the excuse that it is 'tradition' and therefore, can't be changed."​
Organisations such as Volem Acollir and Black Barcelona Encuentro denounce the use of blackface during the parade.​
Volem Acollir has been campaigning against blackface for almost two years. The non-profit organisation encourages Spanish citizens to visit their city council and demand that Balthasar be portrayed by a black man or woman.​

Zaïra Carmona, 21, a biracial woman from Spain said: "From a European country like Spain, where racism is so deeply internalised and so well integrated both politically and socially, the use of blackface for christian festivities, tv programs and theatres, is just a 'natural' product of the structural problems that exist in Spain against the black community.​
"There is no recognition that racism is still very present today [in Spain], and starting from that principle it's really complex to change something that perpetuates these forms of violence against black bodies."​
She thinks a great solution would be for the black community in Spain to access political and other positions of authority. That way, they can outline how problematic this is and implement laws to prohibit practices such as blackface.​
"Also, start educating in schools about what racism is, where it comes from and forms it can take," said Ms Carmona.​
Source: https://www.swlondoner.co.uk/it-shook-me-to-the-core-blackface-at-spains-three-kings-parade/

Oct 27, 2017
Just FYI, you can actually contact Destiny and debate him in these topics.

Bring out your guns, your data, your arguments.

I would watch an ERA vs Destiny debate, make it happen!

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Yeah he's a desperate bloke who debates for attention like a circus as long as they're weird or dumb so he can easily dunk on them, but it's not productive online and public like this as Sarah Z explains:

He gives idiots a platform and it boosts their popularity, much like when Bill Maher platformed Milo the pedophilia defender.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
can we just ban links to him? he goes out of his way to bait. he'll eventually see this thread, create content out of laughing at people in the thread, and so goes on the content cycle.

he's a deeply uninteresting, self centered and cruel person. can we just ignore him.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

He got banned from Era for saying that he says racial slurs, thinks it's okay that he says racial slurs, and doesn't like being called a racist just because he uses slurs.

That's about as much of an Era versus Destiny as you're going to get, and I think it's probably about as much as you really need.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
For a board that in general seems to support deplatforming, Resetera threads have made me aware of numerous horrible people whom I would have never heard of otherwise.

edit: The videos make it pretty clear that he's just using controversy to garner attention and today he got mine. Thanks OP....

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when he was part of the "recommended leftist YouTubers"? I'm so fucking sick of these "rational smart-ass masters of debate" who can spend 5 hours playing League while debating another idiot but can't be bothered to open a social sciences book or just listen to an informed podcast.

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny's like the definition of a useful idiot except he's not actually useful. I'm not exactly sure why people let him ride.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

It is also extremely racist in Spain, it's just white people excuse the racism of blackface by saying it's a tradition and it's out of respect to black people to paint themselves black like they're a costume. The fact is they don't bother to get black people to portray the Three Kings when they could, so predominantly they have Caucasians donning blackface. Caucasians in Spain probably don't care how black Spanish people feel or how blackface in parades impact them so they keep doing racist actions.

Ms Hankö said: "It's frustrating because a lot of it comes from ignorance, but what is worse is the response we get when we [black people] demand accountability, which is none or has quite an aggressive response.​
"There is no will to understand or to have any kind of sensibility towards what black people feel in Spain, which is still seen as a non-reality, we can't be Spanish because we are black."​
Ms Hankö described the Alcoy case as a great example of the lack of willingness to understand and respect a black person's experience in Spain.​
She said: "People hide behind the excuse that it is 'tradition' and therefore, can't be changed."​
Organisations such as Volem Acollir and Black Barcelona Encuentro denounce the use of blackface during the parade.​
Volem Acollir has been campaigning against blackface for almost two years. The non-profit organisation encourages Spanish citizens to visit their city council and demand that Balthasar be portrayed by a black man or woman.​

Zaïra Carmona, 21, a biracial woman from Spain said: "From a European country like Spain, where racism is so deeply internalised and so well integrated both politically and socially, the use of blackface for christian festivities, tv programs and theatres, is just a 'natural' product of the structural problems that exist in Spain against the black community.​
"There is no recognition that racism is still very present today [in Spain], and starting from that principle it's really complex to change something that perpetuates these forms of violence against black bodies."​
She thinks a great solution would be for the black community in Spain to access political and other positions of authority. That way, they can outline how problematic this is and implement laws to prohibit practices such as blackface.​
"Also, start educating in schools about what racism is, where it comes from and forms it can take," said Ms Carmona.​
Source: https://www.swlondoner.co.uk/it-shook-me-to-the-core-blackface-at-spains-three-kings-parade/

Not just Spain, the backward county of Cornwall in the UK has something similar called Mummer's Day
Mummer's Day, or "Darkie Day" as it is sometimes known (a corruption of the original Darking Day), is a traditional Cornish midwinter celebration that occurs every year on Boxing Day and New Year's Day in Padstow, Cornwall. It was originally part of the pagan heritage of midwinter celebrations that were regularly celebrated throughout Cornwall where people would take part in the traditional custom of guise dancing, which involves disguising themselves by painting their faces black or wearing masks.
But it's a tradition going back to the Middle Ages so... it's obviously absolutely fine along with chopping off your wife's head if she cheats on you and other such Middle Age traditions.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
He hasn't been worth paying attention to since he pretty much said racism is fine as long as you do keep it only with your close friends.

Dude went from asshat (albeit I thought a pretty intelligent asshat at many times) to full asshat. He had good takes against voter suppression, and then he has takes like this. Pretty fuckin' unreal.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not just Spain, the backward county of Cornwall in the UK has something similar called Mummer's Day

But it's a tradition going back to the Middle Ages so... it's obviously absolutely fine along with chopping off your wife's head if she cheats on you and other such Middle Age traditions.
I've been to Cornwall a couple of times, didn't know about this wtf.

The dark face paint, masks and dark clothing are symbols of the celebration of the winter solstice, and is in contrast to the "white" summer solstice festivals of Cornish towns such as the 'Obby 'Oss festival in Padstow and the Golowan Festival which started in Penzance in 1991.​
Uh huh, dark solstice = black skin to racists.

OP
OP
Deathbysound

Deathbysound

Oct 27, 2017

Wow. I was never aware.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Why would anyone give a shit about a white person's opinion on blackface

OP
OP
Deathbysound

Deathbysound

Oct 27, 2017
I've been to Cornwall a couple of times, didn't know about this wtf.

The dark face paint, masks and dark clothing are symbols of the celebration of the winter solstice, and is in contrast to the "white" summer solstice festivals of Cornish towns such as the 'Obby 'Oss festival in Padstow and the Golowan Festival which started in Penzance in 1991.​
Uh huh, dark solstice = black skin to racists.

"Due to the blackened faces and the fact that early last century, in keeping with a craze that swept America, the traditional Cornish folksongs were replaced with Minstrel songs, the festival has come under some scrutiny during the past few decades. In spite of the fact that the police were brought in twice to film the events, and both times declared that there was no evidence of offensive behaviour, the spectacle of an entire town taking to the streets with blackened faces and singing about 'niggers' was understandably deemed by some to be inappropriate. In response, the festival organisers agreed to change the name of the event to Mummers Day (which brings it into alignment with England) and to try to change the songs back to the original Cornish ones. "

Source: https://www.cornwalls.co.uk/events/darkie_days.htm

"Then I heard that song," Michael writes, the song he's referring to is 'Old Uncle Ned', an American Minstrel song by Stephen Foster, which includes the line – "They gone where the good niggers go." Michael heard it when recording outside one of the pubs on the parade's route."

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2rLzDFR653mHgzFzXKpfpDB/harmless-tradition

No words...

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
"Due to the blackened faces and the fact that early last century, in keeping with a craze that swept America, the traditional Cornish folksongs were replaced with Minstrel songs, the festival has come under some scrutiny during the past few decades. In spite of the fact that the police were brought in twice to film the events, and both times declared that there was no evidence of offensive behaviour, the spectacle of an entire town taking to the streets with blackened faces and singing about 'niggers' was understandably deemed by some to be inappropriate. In response, the festival organisers agreed to change the name of the event to Mummers Day (which brings it into alignment with England) and to try to change the songs back to the original Cornish ones. "

Source: https://www.cornwalls.co.uk/events/darkie_days.htm

"Then I heard that song," Michael writes, the song he's referring to is 'Old Uncle Ned', an American Minstrel song by Stephen Foster, which includes the line – "They gone where the good niggers go." Michael heard it when recording outside one of the pubs on the parade's route."

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2rLzDFR653mHgzFzXKpfpDB/harmless-tradition

No words...

Jeez and of course the police won't do shit about racism.

I bet Cornish people feel real comfortable pulling this shit cause there's barely any BAME people living there.