• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Imagine if everyone who did the Loot Cave or the Atheon exploit got banned. And that actually gave you a clear advantage in PVP.

For Anthem though? Who TF cares? There's no economy, there's no PVP.

Hell, DE won't even ban you for doing shit like this in Warframe and there's an actual economy in the game. Blizzard doesn't even ban people either in Diablo as far as I'm aware.
There is no pvp at the moment.

Nov 14, 2017
This is a positive outcome. Lol. You guys on here.... you keep claiming things as if there are these rules set in stone. This outcome is positive to me. Goodbye Cheater.
So, will you say that it's a negative when he gets unbanned and EA changes their policy? Because the indications are that's exactly what's going to happen.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
All I have to say is that thank fuck exploiting loopholes didn't get you banned in Destiny coz I used any and every dirty trick in the book when I played it during year 1 and 2. Bioware should probably take a leaf out of Bungie's playbook in this matter. Patch it out instead of alienating the few people who are advertising your unpopular game for free. There's no player economy, just their shitty mtx store which doesn't even have anything worth buying anyway, so this decision is asinine and short-sighted. Even games with player economy, like Warframe don't ban you for using exploits. I remember so many instances where players could have been banned but they weren't coz DE understands that you can't really blame a player for gaming broken systems.

Nov 14, 2017
But that's just an opinion from some guy. Whether I agree or not is not important. What's important is what bioware thinks.
If this is your honest opinion then why are you even posting? We all know that's what Bioware thinks - they banned him! What we are discussing here is whether or not we think that's right! Not in a legal TOS sense, but in a moral or business sense. How can you not understand that?
All I have to say is that thank fuck exploiting loopholes didn't get you banned in Destiny coz I used any and every dirty trick in the book when I played it during year 1 and 2. Bioware should probably take a leaf out of Bungie's playbook in this matter. Patch it out instead of alienating the few people who are advertising your unpopular game for free. There's no player economy, just their shitty mtx store which doesn't even have anything worth buying anyway, so this decision is asinine and short-sighted. Even games with player economy, like Warframe don't ban you for using exploits. I remember so many instances where players could have been banned but they weren't coz DE understands that you can't really blame a player for gaming broken systems.
Actually someone pointed out that there was a Warframe exploit that allowed you to power level lots of items at once and hit max level in minutes, and people were getting permabanned for that. I looked at the patch notes though, and it seems like they only banned the most 'extreme offenders', and the consensus was that you had to have been using an input macro combined with the glitch to level that quickly. Obviously input macros are TOS, which is fair enough.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
LOL did they see bethesda ban that guy for having too much ammo in fallout 76 and thought it was a smart move? Glad to see the defense force is out.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
But that's just an opinion from some guy. Whether I agree or not is not important. What's important is what bioware thinks.

You're missing the point of the discussion; it's not a matter of "Did he break the TOS?" it's "Did he deserve to get banned?" Punting the question with "Well he broke TOS so yes" doesn't actually answer whether or not he deserved it, because the decision to put essentially "You will be banned for grinding too well" in the TOS is the very thing people are objecting to.

Put it another way, do you think the TOS ought to have been changed? And if I may preempt a response, "It's their game they can make their TOS however they want" doesn't really fly, because it goes against the design philosophy of this genre as seen with its contemporaries and actively hurts itself with negative PR. I mean it's not wrong to want things that are arbitrary and have negative consequences to be fixed right?

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Actually someone pointed out that there was a Warframe exploit that allowed you to power level lots of items at once and hit max level in minutes, and people were getting permabanned for that. I looked at the patch notes though, and it seems like they only banned the most 'extreme offenders', and the consensus was that you had to have been using an input macro combined with the glitch to level that quickly. Obviously input macros are TOS, which is fair enough.

Well, I've used macros before in Warframe and never got banned. Dunno why DE made an exception there.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not talking about farming, I'm talking about the legitimate game bug he exploited (spamming Storm Ultimate) to wipe out bosses super fast, a bug that can even cause other things in the game to start messing up, one side effect being the UI getting stuck onscreen. It doesn't matter if there's no economy yet to be affected, it's taking advantage of a glitch to wipe out bosses much more quickly than designed, which can take away some of the fun of other players in your group. And as a streamer, he was showing thousands of other players how to do it.

The storm ult spam existed in the betas, Bioware were aware of it before release - not fixing it for the game launch is on them, not on the players.

He didn't have to show anyone, tons of people were doing it before he even found out.

And the super UI bug is a different thing altogether, it can happen even when you don't spam the super, and it can trigger from/to another player.

Also, Anthem is no where close to being a MMO. It's barely a shooter or a looter.

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
You're missing the point of the discussion; it's not a matter of "Did he break the TOS?" it's "Did he deserve to get banned?" Punting the question with "Well he broke TOS so yes" doesn't actually answer whether or not he deserved it, because the decision to put essentially "You will be banned for grinding too well" in the TOS is the very thing people are objecting to.

Put it another way, do you think the TOS ought to have been changed? And if I may preempt a response, "It's their game they can make their TOS however they want" doesn't really fly, because it goes against the design philosophy of this genre as seen with its contemporaries and actively hurts itself with negative PR. I mean it's not wrong to want things that are arbitrary and have negative consequences to be fixed right?
Design philosophy? Aren't you guys arguing that it should be patched? I also dont think it was designed to be exploited. Well, bioware certainly doesn't believe so.

This thread states "efficiently" which is an opinion anyways. So I'm already walking into a biased argument, but so be it.

I dont like cheaters.
I dont like players who exploit.

Thank you bioware.

Nov 14, 2017
Well, I've used macros before in Warframe and never got banned. Dunno why DE made an exception there.
Probably because they didn't detect you? Most games have terms that say use of any external utility isn't OK, and that's fair enough. Then again, most devs are willing to make a lot of concessions when it comes to utilities that help certain players out and don't harm the experience of other players. For example, using DPS parsers in FFXIV is against TOS, but the devs ignore it as long as you don't harass other players you meet through party finder or matchmaking regarding their DPS.

Nov 14, 2017
Design philosophy? Aren't you guys arguing that it should be patched? I also dont think it was designed to be exploited. Well, bioware certainly doesn't believe so.

This thread states "efficiently" which is an opinion anyways. So I'm already walking into a biased argument, but so be it.

I dont like cheaters.

Thank you bioware.
So, you're willing to deprive other customers of something they paid for just to appease some aesthetic sense of yours? Because what those players are doing has precisely zero impact on you or what you do. That sounds wrong to me - in the moral sense, not according to any TOS.

Also: philosophy in this context means accepting that players will always do the most efficient thing. If there is a method or glitch in your game that's too good, the design philosophy of these games is that you should patch and move on, not ban players for engaging in that manner.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Corporations are always right

I said it before, taking it on good faith and they are consumers just like us.... CorporateEra is the strangest Era of them all. (I know you are being sarcastic Dog. I am commenting on this bizarre trend to default side with the decisions of multibillion dollar corporations in most cases)

Last edited:

EtaMari

Dec 17, 2018
The only person I've ever wanted to be banned in video game was an Undead Rogue that was killing me none stop for an hour :D

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada

I dont like cheaters.

Thank you bioware.
xGladd didn't affect you or your enjoyment of the game in any way, I'm not sure why you are thanking Bioware for doing this. If anything, all they've done is create more negative press for Anthem which is the last thing it needs.

Oct 27, 2017
In this thread: people defend a developer banning a player due to the developer's own poor design decision and/or inability to polish a game before it's rushed out to the market.

It's utterly fascinating to watch people trip over themselves to rush to Bioware's defense.

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
If this is your honest opinion then why are you even posting? We all know that's what Bioware thinks - they banned him! What we are discussing here is whether or not we think that's right! Not in a legal TOS sense, but in a moral or business sense. How can you not understand that?

Yes "a moral or business sense." So, his actions are against my moral code. In a business sense... bioware has chosen their sacrificial lamb and made it clear that exploiting economy will be punished in the full sense. So I am discussing this correctly. Some posters just cant see how his actions may not offend them, but they clearly offend others.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
papás nintendo & capcom, i am very good at playing guile on my super nintendo to the point of picking him as my "main" character, but today a ne'er-do-well challenged me to a match. the ruffian then input an illicit "code" that allowed him to also play as guile - while I had selected the soldier myself! i was unprepared for this duel of doppelgangers and found myself bested.

please president sir capcom, dispatch a team of the finest constables to this hoodlum's domicile so that he may be immediately thrown in the deepest pit of the gaol. i have also heard that he possesses an insidious djinn of games that allows him to implement unauthorized modifications of his game cartridges, which is not fair to those of us who worked hard to take a polaroid of our high scores.

thank you,
you humble servant,
the gamer

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

I dont like cheaters.

Thank you bioware.

"Design philosophy" in terms of "this is a game where we incentivize you to grind." In my eyes XGlaad was just playing the game the way he was lead to play it, he just found a way to do it that the developers didn't intend. That's on them, if they want to fix it then that's their perogative, but he was just doing what the game incentivized him to do. He doesn't deserve to be hit with a breach of TOS when all he did was do what the game asked of him, just to a degree that was unforeseen.

And, in a broader discussion about "cheating," I can't see the harm in one person in a PvE game finding a way to push themselves slightly above the curve by playing an unaltered game. Do the negative connotations of cheating really deserve to be applied to a guy when his actions don't have any impact on other players? Like I guess maybe if this got out and other people did it they would push through content faster than other people? Oh no?

Oct 25, 2017
Yes "a moral or business sense." So, his actions are against my moral code. In a business sense... bioware has chosen their sacrificial lamb and made it clear that exploiting economy will be punished in the full sense. So I am discussing this correctly. Some posters just cant see how his actions may not offend them, but they clearly offend others.
Why does it offend you, what are you going to say when the ban is lifted... Cause it is.

Nov 14, 2017
I mean, that's not the argument you've been making thus far, so progress at least. So, lets get down to it: Why is someone else playing the game in a manner you don't approve of but doesn't impact you in any way ban worthy? Why is that against your moral code?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have an easier time believing this is astroturfing than someone who is legit upset or offended about something that has 0 impact on others.

Oct 27, 2017

Did you ever actually play with this streamer or are you just offended by the idea of him doing these things in the game? Because being offended by the idea of efficient loot routes is...utterly ridiculous.

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
So, you're willing to deprive other customers of something they paid for just to appease some aesthetic sense of yours? Because what those players are doing has precisely zero impact on you or what you do. That sounds wrong to me - in the moral sense, not according to any TOS.

Also: philosophy in this context means accepting that players will always do the most efficient thing. If there is a method or glitch in your game that's too good, the design philosophy of these games is that you should patch and move on, not ban players for engaging in that manner.
Once again it's not my "aesthetic sense". Its bioware's. I just agree with it. Frankly, I dont give a rat's ass, but seeing people make poor arguments is another thing. I dont own the game (thank god I didnt preorder).

Also, this doesn't affect players now, but perhaps could in the future not to mention padding stats.

Meh, I'm just one guy. I'm sure there is a whole army of gamers who want this guy back. Just not me. No biggie. But to say he didnt deserve it? If you want to walk with the big dogs, you gotta learn to piss in the tall grass too.

You reap what you sow.

I'm done here.

Edit: spelling

Nov 14, 2017
Once again it's not my "aesthetic sense". Its bioware's. I just agree with it. Frankly, I dont give a rat's ass, but seeing people make poor arguments is another thing. I dont own the game (thank god I didnt preorder).

Also, this doesn't affect players now, but perhaps could in the future not to mention padding stats.

Meh, I'm just one guy. I'm sure there is a whole army of gamers who want this guy back. Just not me. No biggie. But to say he didnt deserve it? If you want to walk with the big dogs, you gotta learn to piss in the tall grass too.

You reap what you sow.

I'm done here.

How can you be this disingenuous? I'm asking straight up why you agree with it! I want to understand! My suspicion is that you're just a natural snitch and would probably call the cops if you saw a neighbour smoking weed, but I was honestly wondering if it you had anything deeper than that.

You're free to peace out, but your entire posting history in this thread has been these kind of dishonest evasions. On the one hand saying it's not your opinion, just Bioware's and only Bioware's opinion matters; then coming up with posts like above where you straight up say you agree with Bioware and refuse to say why, or even comment on the fact that it looks like Bioware's policy might change. In that case, would that Bioware is in the wrong, at least according to your moral code?

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You reap what you sow.

I'm done here.

is there any chance you actually believe this or are you just too deep to back down now? i find it hard to believe anyone would be willing to give up their consumer rights on something that at this point in time, no theoretical future bullshit, does not impact your game. people joke that you're getting paid by ea, my real concern is you're definitely not getting paid by ea and that's scary.

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
How can you be this disingenuous? I'm asking straight up why you agree with it! I want to understand! My suspicion is that you're just a natural snitch and would probably call the cops if you saw a neighbour smoking weed, but I was honestly wondering if it you had anything deeper than that.

You're free to peace out, but your entire posting history in this thread has been these kind of dishonest evasions. On the one hand saying it's not your opinion, just Bioware's and only Bioware's opinion matters; then coming up with posts like above where you straight up say you agree with Bioware and refuse to say why, or even comment on the fact that it looks like Bioware's policy might change. In that case, would that Bioware is in the wrong, at least according to your moral code?
Let's not start personal attacks, one of the major fallacies out there. That is the sign of a terribly put together argument. If you're not willing to discuss politely then forget it.

Once again: I dont like cheaters. I dont like exploiters. This gentleman chose to exploit knowing the consequences. I have no problems with that. However, his argument's are poor. I cant stand that. Own your decisions.

We're going in circles. But I'm not going to continue with personal attacks. You dont know me, dont call me a snitch.

Have a good day, sir.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

I dont like cheaters.

Thank you bioware.

bruh

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Let's not start personal attacks, one of the major fallacies out there. That is the sign of a terribly put together argument. If you're not willing to discuss politely then forget it.

Once again: I dont like cheaters. I dont like exploiters. This gentleman chose to exploit knowing the consequences. I have no problems with that. However, his argument's are poor. I cant stand that. Own your decisions.

We're going in circles. But I'm not going to continue with personal attacks. You dont know me, dont call me a snitch.

Have a good day, sir.

I mean there are other people having this discussion, you don't have to leave the thread if you don't want to engage with him.

Again, why do his actions qualify as "cheating" if all he did was play the game as he was lead to play it? Because he came across a method that worked better? Why does that qualify as cheating if he was just doing what the game incentivized? Why does he deserve to be punished when the fault wasn't his, but was rather a design oversight on the part of the developers, especially when his actions have no impact on the enjoyment of other people playing Anthem? Why should he be punished when he caused no harm? That last question in particular is, I think, the crux here.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

You reap what you sow.

I'm done here.

You kept regurgitating the TOS and said that you didn't care and it was just rules being rules, but then you said later that you're glad "cheaters are banned". You've done nothing but yell "TOS!" and then pretended to have no stake in the argument when you really did, just to avoid everyone else's reasoning at why the TOS is dumb and should be changed.

If anthem wants to be a looter shooter to compete with the rest, they should look at why their competition does what they do. Embrace the bugs, make it history. This entire debacle is them not paying attention and taking hints from the other successful looter shooters, among the other handful of design problems.

Nov 14, 2017

Have a good day, sir.
I like how you avoided the question again. I'm asking quite specifically: why do you think it's fair to punish someone who is doing no harm to anyone else? The comparison with a neighbour smoking weed isn't a personal attack, it's actually the most obvious real world analogy. There are lots of people who absolutely would do that, and their argument is precisely the one you are making here: the smoker is breaking the rules, therefore they deserve to be punished.

You haven't advanced any argument beyond that, so I don't see how there's a moral distinction.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Have a good day, sir.
you're willing to give up your right as a consumer because you don't like how someone else plays a game.

it's that simple. it doesn't impact you. it's so blindly selfish.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Gladd updated on Twitter that it's looking like it's most likely the storm ult glitch he was banned for, which is incredible.
Nevermind. Found it. TOS clause he broke.

47576cabcc22395d8874ace551d0ccaf.png

Stupid as shit but hey. Good luck hoping that any efficient farming method won't be considered a design error instead of just an oversight. Hell yeah, Bioware. Setting that good precedent.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
so i watched the video (not gonna read 700 posts) and he talks about running loops in GM1 for chests for a day and then it got nerfed, and that's the main thing he thinks got him banned.
he mentions two other things -- storm ultimate spamming glitch, respawning boss glitch (???).

but from reading comments on reddit people are accusing him of doing a stronghold chest exploit where you can leave after completing a stronghold and rejoin and then you get the chest again like this video

i can understand why you would get banned for this, if this is what he did.

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
you're willing to give up your right as a consumer because you don't like how someone else plays a game.

it's that simple. it doesn't impact you. it's so blindly selfish.
Well... how does it impact you? I didnt support the game monetarily. Did you?

Someone made a post. I disagreed with some of the arguments put forth. Its just that simple.

This isn't some kind of war. It's just a thread.

And last time: whether or not I agree or am affected is neither here nor there. Bioware seems to have taken issue. I just happen to agree with their choice. Some dont. That's all. Agree to disagree. There is obviously something greater here. Bioware has put a stop to it. I'm fine with that.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
so i watched the video (not gonna read 700 posts and he talks about running loops in GM1 for chests for a day and then it got nerfed, and that's the main thing he thinks got him banned.
he mentions two other things -- storm ultimate spamming glitch, respawning boss glitch (???).

but from reading comments on reddit people are accusing him of doing a stronghold chest exploit where you can leave after completing a stronghold and rejoin and then you get the chest again like this video

Wow, that's even simpler than I thought. So the boss chest just respawns if you die afterwards? That's barely exploitation, that's just extremely poorly designed.

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
so i watched the video (not gonna read 700 posts) and he talks about running loops in GM1 for chests for a day and then it got nerfed, and that's the main thing he thinks got him banned.

Ahhh... thank you. See. More to the story!