• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Destiny.jpg

Bungie.net

On this day, six years ago, players all over the world began a grand adventure. Since then, over 167 million Guardians have joined our ranks and championed the Light for over 8.6 billion hours.

During that time, this community has answered the call time and time again, raising over $8.5 million for Little Lights and worthy causes all over the world. So, when it comes to defending humanity, whether you're in the 31% that smash, the 31% that love space magic, or the 38% that make cloaks look good, we're humbled that you have chosen to make the Tower your home.

And now, as we stand at the precipice of a new era, ready to step beyond the Light, we should at least have some cake first. So, let's light the candles and celebrate with the friends we've made in this truly incredible community. From the Farm to the Moon, it's been a wild ride and we're incredibly proud to have you at our sides for all of it. Here's to the future – happy birthday, Destiny.

It doesn't mean 167 million players, since each account may create 3 different characters (and most of the hardcore fans have all 3 classes).

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dang it's already been 6 years? I remember getting crazy invested into Destiny 1. Good times with my Hawkmoon.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
It has been a great run. The best memories in MP i've ever had.

Waiting for the "People still play destiny lol" and "FOMO" post

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Glad to be a Guardian, what a great experience it's been so far. Blind raids remain among the top gaming experiences I've had to date. Incredible game that, despite it's faults, has come to feel like home for me. Couldn't be as good without the wonderful community too, especially DEra and the Patch. Here's to many more years of dancing and looking frabjous! Hopefully without Gambit and Dredgens.

screenshot_20200909-1o5jsk.jpg

Last edited:

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Been off the Destiny boat since 2's launch. Played through the story of Forsaken but didn't even make it to a single raid run. Beyond Light seems to be shaping up interestingly so I think it's about time I return.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
been there since beta of D1 and i'm so proud of the community and the game ... cheers for another 6 years to come!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Beyond Light hitting Game Pass and consoles getting the bump to 4K/60fps are exciting times ahead as we draw the year to a close too. Holding out hope for an FoV bump but either way, be nice to offer the 60fps goodness to more people playing from the sofa.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
My favorite memory of Destiny was figuring out how to get high in the tree in the hub zone to the point where I got all the way to the top.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Easily my favorite game of the generation warts and all. What 6 years it has been. Really looking forward to Beyond Light and next gen console experience.

Jan 10, 2018
As much as I like to complain about various issues with Destiny I can't ignore all the fantastic hours I've spent with it. I hope it will continue to be successful in the future.

I'm also gonna try to deal with the fact that there's never gonna be a hard reset again. Those were the most powerful moments for me personally; when the world was new to everyone and you couldn't wait to explore for the first time.

Jun 17, 2018
3000h in d1.

Over 3000h in d2.

Best pve coop experience ive ever had.

I play mostly pvp nowadays tho.

Nov 14, 2017
That's probably like 70 or 80m players then over the lifetime then. That's kind of insane.

Destiny really is the game I never knew I wanted. I thought I would never really get into an online game again; I only got Destiny because it the collectors edition with the expansion pass for Y1 was on sale and I just bought a PS4. I wonder how many more tens of millions of players / guardians there will be in the next 6 years?

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Destiny is my favorite modern franchise. So many good memories new friendships etc.

Happy Birthday! I'm a little cold on the current content but cant wait for the new expansions.

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
Stop playing a month ago after nearly 2000 hours in D2, and more than that in D1, just finally burned out I guess.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic game that I still play regularly. Sadly my large clan totally fell apart, so now I pretty much play solo (which is significantly less of an enjoyable experience).

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
I've honestly fallen off pretty hard over the last year or so of content, life obligations getting in the way mostly. There's been ups and downs since the very beginning in Destiny 1. If some random people on my Playstation friends list hadn't asked me to be a 6th guy for their Vault of Glass attempts, I was already ready to take the game back to gamestop to trade in. Instead, we grinded out Vault of Glass endlessly for way too long to get Flawless before we got the first set of Platinum Trophies on PSNProfiles (before they let hackers overtake the leaderboards anyway). They're still some of my best friends these days.

Hell, years later some of those friends and I built gaming pcs just to load a bit faster and have more frames in Destiny 2. After all, for quite a while it was basically all we played anymore. Destiny saved all of us so much money on games. I might take more breaks from the game these days, but I still like to come back. I really think Shadowkeep has been a dud from the get-go and the season pass was a total waste this year, but I still got time out of it. I'm still hyped for Beyond Light.

I'm ready to want to play more Destiny. I even bought some stupid $200 Crown of Sorrows coat I've worn twice and have a nine hoodie and fourth horseman flannel somewhere in the Bungie fulfillment queue. I had even planned vacation from work for Beyond Light, that got canceled with the delay, but hey, I might still try.

7WVPHnm.png

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Nearly at the overtaking mark!

giphy.gif

Would have happened a long time ago if not for Y3/Shadowkeep being my least favorite year in the entire franchise. I barely played until this final season.

(And I feel like an idiot because I really wanted the Solstice sets but put it off and thought the final week STARTED yesterday instead of ended.)

OP
OP
Thiago

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since we're sharing our Wasted on Destiny stats, here are mine (yeah, I still love my Garden of Salvation emblems lmao)

85-E12017-2917-42-EA-AC97-8-FA4-F9-D8-AA9-C.jpg

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Would have happened a long time ago if not for Y3/Shadowkeep being my least favorite year in the entire franchise. I barely played until this final season.

(And I feel like an idiot because I really wanted the Solstice sets but put it off and thought the final week STARTED yesterday instead of ended.)
That's fair. Think we all have our dry spots, I had one pretty much from Worthy through to the past week or so. Bad luck on Solstice. The sets didn't appeal to me much for the grind so I ended up coming back to do Reckoner in 8 days instead. Whether that was wise or not I'll leave for others to decide lmao..

Now I'm catching up on the exotic quests and missions of the season. Fees good on the run up to Beyond Light.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Congrats bungie those are big numbers.

I played d1 like crazy and sold my console just to stop myself from playing it(my college grades were falling due to it back then). I think I had around 500 hours on it within the first few months.

Got into d2 on pc and quit after 2-3 days of playing it. Got back in with shadowkeep and played around 250 hours before stopping. Probably will be there for beyond light. This game is worth the money for sure.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
God 6 years already, that flew. I pretty quickly binned D1 as I just didn't enjoy it much at release, but gave it a second shot with Taken King, D1 and D2 are now my 2 most played games ever, with only really Black Ops 1 coming close to D1 (D2 is hundreds of hours ahead). Some of my absolute favorite gaming moments ever, very few games reach the highs Destiny can.

Waiting on next gen before getting back in, the amount of waiting on loading just broke me on PS4, that I just didn't enjoy my time anymore.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It goes to show how 1000 hours makes you a top 5% of time played in D2 but only top 25% on D1 hahaha

The only franchise in all of media that made me a "fan". It is to me what Star Wars is to some people.

Eyes up, Guardians.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Probably my most played game(s) in the past 10 years. As much as I shit on some of the decisions Bungie makes, I love the game and only hope for it to continue to improve.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
D1 was amazing. I'm looking forward to the future of Destiny.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I got a ton of hours into it, but this past year has been an absolute joke. A complete clan killer. Here's hoping Beyond Light can turn it around.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who spent endless hours at the loot cave can attest to that. The game was barebones at launch but if you had a good group of friends to play with it, it was an absolute blast.
Vault of Glass. All the crazy exotics weapons were on another league... I was lucky enough to use the Vex Mythoclast pre nerf... It was incredible.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Started it recently and put in 30 hours already. Completed all free campaigns/introduction missions and discovered all planets, did the gambit/crucible/strikes etc. Can't do raids as a solo player but did pretty much everything there is to do for f2p solo players. Wasn't expecting to enjoy it this much but it's really fun. I'm ending it here though and moving on because I don't wanna main game this and don't wanna pay up for expansions since I'm playing solo anyway. But amazing game, big surprise for me.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Best 7/10 game(s) ever made!
Thousands of hours into the series and I can't see myself stopping anytime soon.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
ExxE7IF.png

I'm amused that my Stadia time isn't on there for some reason, but it may not have been a significant enough time spent to actually record it. It was also funking swapping to Xbox halfway into TTK, then swapping back to PS4 right before COO released. Cross save would have been fantastic both of those times.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Glad to be a Guardian, what a great experience it's been so far. Blind raids remain among the top gaming experiences I've had to date. Incredible game that, despite it's faults, has come to feel like home for me. Couldn't be as good without the wonderful community too, especially DEra and the Patch. Here's to many more years of dancing and looking frabjous! Hopefully without Gambit and Dredgens.

screenshot_20200909-1o5jsk.jpg
tenor.gif

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've had such an interesting relationship with Destiny, almost always going in cycles with my enjoyment of it.

I hyped up it's launch like no other, played it incessantly over the first few weeks, chatted with friends at college about it a bunch, and left it quickly once I ran out of content.

Then I remember being on a train in 2015 and reading a magazine about Taken King, which I was convinced I wasn't going to buy. But reading about it had me intrigued, and that fall I fell right back in and found I loved it so much more. I had less and less free time but I'd use 20 minute windows of not being busy to do a patrol or two. Until eventually my workload in my last year of college eclipsed everything else and I stopped entirely.

I didn't pick it up again until Rise of Iron launched. I had moved across the country and was sitting in an unfamiliar apartment but damn I loved the snowy mountain peaks and garbage platforming section near the hub. Even the main story felt fun and resonant and the familiarity of Destiny as a whole felt comforting.

I picked up D2 on launch, played to hell out of it, picked it up for PC later on too, thought the story (while straightforward) was such a step up from those year-one disappointments and I couldn't stop jumping in to play random strikes or do patrolling when I had some extra time. I even ran my first raid with friends, experienced the legit fun of tense Nightfall strikes, and was right back in the mix again. Eventually though my workload got to be too much and my Destiny lifestyle faded right back off.

When Forsaken came out though I had nothing but time. The thing I'd been working on for two years was out, my workload was easygoing and fine, and I was really eager to see the story Forsaken promised. I think that yet again they found a new pinnacle for a Destiny campaign, and I looooved zooming around the Dreaming City after beating everything. I'd still hop on for a while after it launched, doing all sorts of small activities.

Forsaken was the last time I played. Life got in the way and by the time Shadowkeep came out I had found other things in my life that suddenly mattered a lot more to me than games. But plenty of my friends still played so I still heard plenty about the game, and kept up with news out of old habit.

It's funny that for how immensely disappointing Destiny was on launch (and, if I'm honest, continues to be in some respects, especially for someone with limited time for game-playing) somehow this franchise has become one of the most comfortingly familiar series of any of them. There's still a warm fuzzy feeling I have being at the Tower again. I doubt it's the last I've played of Destiny, but even if it were, it's been quite a nice six years.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
considering I have put in over 1000 hours since the alpha, even purchasing the expansions and shit, Destiny has been the best investment in gaming for me considering I have never put more than 100 hours into a game. Thank you Bungie.

Oct 25, 2017
After that initial launch months, I'm still shocked this game lasted this long. I'm even more surprised that I somehow stuck with it even though a significant part of the game was straight up an exercise in frustration.

Though the franchise has been up and down throughout its life span, I still can't get enough of it. Looking forward to Beyond Light and what's to come afterwards.

P.S D1Y1 wasn't that great and was a fucking mess. Especially those first 2 to 3 months.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats Bungie!

Even after 6 years, I still see Master Chief facing forward on the first Destiny cover.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
I've been back into D2 for the past 2.5-3 weeks after not playing since around the launch of D2. It's been great fun (and frustration) doing The Whisper quest for the ship, doing lots of gambits/crucible with friends and just finding little secrets at the tower. I think Bungie have some of the best weapon/armor designs in the bidness with what I've been seeing people wear

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Such a disappointment. Haven't touched it since 2015 and never bothered with Destiny 2.