• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Shadowkeeps gonna blow the game up. With how much god damn content a F2P user is getting I'm hyped.
Yup! Part of why I'm excited is just because of how busy the game will be that day. Between the large F2P offering and the game moving to Steam, there'll probably be a ton of new people to play the game with. Always good to see new people checking out the game, and I think this is going to be a really, really good first impression as long as the servers hold up.

OP
OP
TsuWave

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Crucible has its issues, but it is still incredibly fun for me. I used to be knee deep in the PvE aspect of the game, and routinely got raid completions done within the first week, in Destiny 2 however, my availability is not the same, and there are raids that I am yet to complete, but just turning the console on for a few crucible games after a day's work is extremely relaxing and fun for me.

finally reaching Legend in comp and getting my Not Forgotten is one of my favorite gaming achievements, especially cause I did majority alone

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Yup! Part of why I'm excited is just because of how busy the game will be that day. Between the large F2P offering and the game moving to Steam, there'll probably be a ton of new people to play the game with. Always good to see new people checking out the game, and I think this is going to be a really, really good first impression as long as the servers hold up.
Yeah haha thankfully the servers haven't died during any of the DLC launches so I have hope we're gonna be good, but I have said this before but I'm pretty sure D2 is gonna hit a crisp 400K on the launch day so it might crash

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
I dunno, I've got 4000 hours between D1 and D2 and I'm still not sure if I like the game to be honest. I'll check in again in another thous.

Sarcasm aside, Destiny has probably been the biggest turnaround from disinterest to an actual reason I still play video games. I can remember me and a battlefield buddy having to justify the crap out of D1 when it first came out because we were lukewarm on the alpha and beta gameplay. The content seemed barebones, but battlefield was getting stale, and eventually it came to "well there ain't nothing else out, and we can get a good 10-15 hours out of it" I traded in Killzone Shadowfall and something else I can't remember and walked out of Gamestop with it for like $9 on launch day. We got about 15 hours and both dropped of the game right there. There wasn't endgame content for 2 players to do, we didn't really know what endgame was, and no one knew what a Raid was at the time. This was towards the beginning of college for me as well and without going into details, the first year of college for me also coincided with the start of some depression related issues.

Then some randoms on my friends list invited me to do Vault of Glass because they needed a sixth and had seen me playing the game. I didn't even really know these people, they were mostly friend adds from when I was an events manager on a trophy hunting website and was coordinating events. We were even the first team to wind up popping platinum trophies in Destiny. The promise of raiding brought my buddy I initally bought the game with back into the fold too. We started grinding out our exotic collections and getting the rolls on stuff we wanted to prepare for the next DLC. Throughout Destiny 1 they were my team, we had a roster, everyone planned around work schedules so we could do Raids with certain people before other people got home so we could slot everyone in. Destiny Tuesday was like a holiday. We're all still friends now though most of them have since stopped with Destiny, primarily because of D2Y1 being such a misfire. Sometimes you just can't win people back. But because of them I ended up putting over a thousand hours into games like Monster Hunter and a couple hundred into The Division. I had been playing Battlefield with some internet acquaintances since BC2, but it was always sort of a "they invited whoever was online" type of mass friends list. I didn't know names. We didn't talk life. It was usernames and call outs, with your standard bitching and moaning in-between. All my Destiny buddies, we all know each others names, about each others lives. We have running inside jokes, we can play casually and just joke around. I couldn't explain in words why Destiny played out different than other games socially, even other coop games, but I think alot of really has to do with the absolute staying power Destiny has.

Destiny is a social platform for me. I take breaks from Destiny, often, I basically didn't play season of the drifter, and took 3 weeks off when cross-save was announced so my friends and I could build PCs. There's been weeks I don't get a chance to do anything because of work. But I know my Destiny friends are always in our group PSN chat, and now on Discord. I'm actually able to go onto LFG chats and banter with people these days. Destiny is such a big fucking deal to me. I can sit and complain endlessly about terrible Gambit and Crucible are, but in the end, I'd rather play a round of Gambit than anything else these days. It's why every time I see people making their big nonsensical shitposts about the game across the internet, I just think, "It's the best 6/10 I've ever played, and I hope you find yours one day"

Here's to hoping my Crown of Sorrows jacket arrives here soon.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
The best experience in my gaming life this decade was raids in the OG Destiny. Funny though that those raids are why I will never play the game again. It's just too frustrating not being able to easily get a team together to play them now that my last squad disbanded after the 3rd expansion in Destiny 1. Lack of matchmaking is just the most idiotic thing I have ever come across and completely killed this game to me.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Absolute hero moments. Everyone remembers how frustrating Hard Crota was and this was our first completion after a couple days of attempts, it was going perfect until or swordbearer got greedy. The titan swoops in, never having runs word before, to save the day as multiple of us were throwing out our last rockets as we died to the enrage thrall.

giphy.gif

We all worked together IRL (minus EroticSushi who I always have to tag when I post this) and there was a legit high in the office for a few days.

Last edited:

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
Great post but I'm extremely jealous of this.

I actually only got to step into Crown for the first time the monday before that reset with a scrappy LFG team with no intent to actually finish it. I wasn't gonna get the jacket if we did, but it was a 6 hour ordeal with strangers and none of us knew what the hell we were doing, and were all very under light. Everyone stayed in good spirits. I wound up convincing myself into it because of that. It's the only piece of Destiny clothing I'll own.

It's kinda funny that a Crown started taking less than a half hour only a week later.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Absolute hero moments. Everyone remembers how frustrating Hard Crota was and this was our first completion after a couple days of attempts, it was going perfect until or swordbearer got greedy. The titan swoops in, never having runs word before, to save the day as multiple of us were throwing out our last rockets as we died to the enrage thrall.

giphy.gif

We all worked together IRL (minus EroticSushi who I always have to tag when I post this) and there was a legit high in the office for a few days.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Its truly incredible that Bungie have created a living, breathing sci-fi universe the equal of Halo or Mass Effect. They really are masters of their craft and easily amongst the greatest game devs of all time.

I love Destiny, though admittedly I've fallen behind in the previous few months, but I'm looking forward to getting back on the grind with Shadowkeep, especially with several friends rejoining through cross-save.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love Destiny, but it peaked at The Taken King (for me personally) in terms of PvP and PvE. I played a lot of Destiny 2 though including the latest Forsaken. I'm looking to hop back in just before Shadowkeep launches to get re-acquainted.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of content you get f2p is Insane

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The universe they've created from all of the locations to the lore is pretty compelling, and the gunplay is top-notch.

Shadowkeep looks really interesting, I'll check it out later down the line when my plate isn't as full.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I love it. To the fact that I find most games don't interest me any more. I'll get the occasional single player ones like Spider-Man and Control. But in as far as shooters go-none of them play as well as Destiny.
There's always some thing to do-grind the perfect Blast Furnace or work on Sunshot catalyst kills, etc.

methodiczero

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
This game is like a dysfunctional relationship that i just cant get enough of. When its good, its the best thing there is. When its bad...... its beyond broken. But, at the end of the day, I love it more than anything and nothing can tear us apart. Yeah.... I may stray a little and find warmth and attention in other places from time to time (looking at you, BL3), or it may be so broken that we want nothing to do with each other *cough Curse of Osiris *cough, but we always come back to one another cause we know that the love we have is more important and stronger than any BS that may come between us. D2 has been going to counselling and really making some great strides in making it the best version of itself and its just making me love it more and more.

But I'm still totally cheating on it right now with BL3 and will continue to get my rocks off with its loot system until Shadowkeep drops

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I can't stand the pricing system of Destiny. It punishes early adopters so much that you feel robbed. BUT there is nothing out there like it. And please don't tell me Warframe. I have tried it and it's good but not Destiny good.

The gunplay is godlike. The closest to it was Doom 2016 but Destiny is still a notch better. The guns also look good. The amount of details that goes into their design is insane. They put lore for them on top of that.

Dreadnaught is one of my favorite gaming location. It's weird, eerie and so memorable.

One other underrated mechanic in destiny is the platforming. Devs are so afraid of putting platforming in fps game so it felt nice seeing it in a modern game. Even though it's not that challenging, it's a nice addition.

OP
OP
TsuWave

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
One other underrated mechanic in destiny is the platforming. Devs are so afraid of putting platforming in fps game so it felt nice seeing it in a modern game. Even though it's not that challenging, it's a nice addition.

them jumping puzzles can provide some of the most memorable/funny moments, especially if you're in a chat party

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Hahaha
Why u hating? Tell me
The platforming in Destiny 1 was fucking detested by most of the playerbase. Mostly because it was extremely finicky sometimes. Platforming in first person is just not something that works incredibly well most of the time.

Destiny 2 was made marginally better with the addition of the mantling system, but it's still not a mechanic that I think works persay...

BenjiBurltz

Mar 15, 2018
I'm kind of ashamed that I loved Destiny and played it for hours, but never tried a raid, and have never played the sequel. There's just too many great games these days and too little time to get properly stuck into them.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I'm kind of ashamed that I loved Destiny and played it for hours, but never tried a raid, and have never played the sequel. There's just too many great games these days and too little time to get properly stuck into them.
With D2 going free to play, might you be enticed to give it a go?

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Easily my GOTG. It just keeps pulling me back. I'm perfectly happy to put it down for a few weeks/months between content drops and play other stuff waiting for what's next. I feel like they've hit the sweet spot for a live service game that doesn't need to have everyone literally playing only their game, they've got the diehards that stick around or PvP, they've got enough lengthy things to chase like titles and raid drops, but then if you're like me maybe you have crazy spurts of maining D2 for a few months and then taking a break.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Correct OP. Destiny is absolutely brilliant. About 2,000 hours in to that beauty.

Destiny 2 though...I haven't touched it in nearly a year. Looking forward to October's free update so see if it's changed much.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The platforming in Destiny 1 was fucking detested by most of the playerbase. Mostly because it was extremely finicky sometimes. Platforming in first person is just not something that works incredibly well most of the time.

Destiny 2 was made marginally better with the addition of the mantling system, but it's still not a mechanic that I think works persay...
Yeah Destiny 1 jumping was kinda weird. I remember jumping against some walls would push you back. I could never understand the reason behind that implementation. It was just weird.

Oct 25, 2017
The Destiny experience is pretty swell, after all these years. I burn out on it, but I also like that I can get hyped for each new chapter of it. There are many talented people crafting that experience, and many more enjoying what they've made. My engagement level is about a 2/5 compared to most, but I value my time with it.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny has GOAT tier gameplay. But I don't like how they've handled their DLC and the campaigns have ranged from mediocre to terrible. I do enjoy doing raids, crucible, and other activities with friends though.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Ive played it far more than any other game in my life without question. According to timewastedondestiny site, about 2000 hours on 1 and 1000 hours on 2 so 3000 hours, but that doesnt count tower or orbit time which much of it is active playtime, so i figure add at least another 1000 hours to that.
Agreed OP. Ha I just checked that website and I have 423hrs on D2 and 142 hours on D1. That's a lot for me! I bought a PS4 for the D1 alpha and played the hell out of it. Greatest game of the generation for me so far.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
played the everloving fuck out of Destiny 1 but by D2 i just got really sick of the (paid) content rollout. if i had all the time in the world i'd jump back in and probably have a great time but i'll wait and see where it goes with the next one, assuming they go about things much differently without activision

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I know I am probably in very small minority, but I liked vanilla Destiny best.

I loved the somber tone vanilla had. Didn't really know what the Darkness and what the Traveler were, other than that the Traveler probably was something a bit more sinister. Rasputin too. I feel like they took the story wrong direction with the expansions and their GotG wibe. Never really got to D2.

Also I will gladly sell my life on a hill defending Dinklebot.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I know I am probably in very small minority, but I liked vanilla Destiny best.

I loved the somber tone vanilla had. Didn't really know what the Darkness and what the Traveler were, other than that the Traveler probably was something a bit more sinister. Rasputin too. I feel like they took the story wrong direction with the expansions and their GotG wibe. Never really got to D2.

Also I will gladly sell my life on a hill defending Dinklebot.
If you prefer the darker tone, then Forsaken is the Destiny for you.