• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny is amazing.

I have been playing it consistently since the alpha for the first game, I take it for granted, but today I was thinking about this franchise, and all things considered, I don't think Bungie gets the plaudits they deserve. From the way it plays, to the scope of its raids, the weapons, the abilities, the activities available, the lore, etc.

man this is some GOAT shit.

it changed the gaming landscape too, and none of the copycats or "destiny-killers" even came close.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I'll come back with Shadowkeep. Right now I feel super overwhelmed by how much I haven't achieved every time I log in.

But I'll truly appreciate Destiny 2 when they add crossplay!

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Raids in Destiny will go down as some of my favorite gaming moments of all time. Working through them with friends blind was a riot and the feeling of accomplishment when finishing them was immense. To me there is nothing in gaming that matches Destiny's 6 man raids. We've been on and off with Destiny 2 and haven't really tackled the raids after the first two due to life happening, but it's still been a great experience and I'm excited for Shadowkeep.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Ive played it far more than any other game in my life without question. According to timewastedondestiny site, about 2000 hours on 1 and 1000 hours on 2 so 3000 hours, but that doesnt count tower or orbit time which much of it is active playtime, so i figure add at least another 1000 hours to that.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll come back with Shadowkeep. Right now I feel super overwhelmed by how much I haven't achieved every time I log in.

I would recommend just picking one thing and finish it. That or find a commonality between quests or stuff so there is less back tracking.

So like if you have two quests that require kills in Gambit and matches played of gambit, do gambit

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Loved Forsaken, and the time I spent doing the raid with DestinyERA is something I won't soon forget (RIP Talynn). Been so busy with other games that I haven't really had the chance to play any of the expansion pass, so I'll get back to it with Shadowkeep.

Zeckett

Mar 28, 2019
Portugal
I disagree.

Although Destiny plays great, from the start it lacked content, which was cut into DLC pieces that cost way much more than thye're worth.

And when the first good DLC came, it cost more than half the base game price. And only then I'd consider Destiny complete.

By then I had almost 1500 hours put into it anyway, but I didn't buy the said expansion until much later, at a discount. Then the last DLC came with more balanced price, but still lacking in content. Still was the best DLC, imo.

And no, hours in grinding is not equal to content.

I'm not saying I didn't get my money's worth, I did a hundred times over. I put almost 2000 hours into it by 2016.

But I am bitter when it comes to Destiny, because it could be so much more.

I didn't buy Destiny 2, because of the many missteps Bungie kept making.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I've ebbed and flowed in how much I like it, but I've basically played nothing but it for the last month and am incredibly excited for Shadowkeep. It's currently my favorite game of the year and I think I'm going to stick with it in perpetuity finally. The lore is wonderful and intriguing and hits all the right notes for me. It hits just the right balance of numbers and loot focus and story focus for me. What they're doing this year with storytelling through seasons and very consciously leading one into another and having big things HAPPEN and then go away is so so exciting

I'm currently trying to go through D1 again but it hasn't aged great. I'd love to see the stuff I missed (mostly raids), but it just feels rough. I may resort to watching playthroughs of the important raids because so much current story seems to be built on their shoulders.

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
Game's amazing, worst part is that it's enjoyed better with a group of friends that are also committed to the game, which isn't easy to find.

But yeah the game itself is amazing, I've spent countless hours as a solo player

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's there is good but the content droughts drove me away. 1 was much more enjoyable than 2 because the raids were better and actually enjoyable to replay, which I think is really missing in 2. The fanbase is insufferable also.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made a thread after the D1 beta back at the old place. I'd never really played anything like it and I absolutely loved it.

I stopped playing D2 for almost a year and a half and didn't think I'd come back until Destiny 3, but I've just recently (like in the last month) jumped back into it. While there are some things that make my blood boil (There's STILL no matchmaking for Nightfall?!?!?!) I am loving it overall just the same as I did all the way back in 2014.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My fav ip this gen by far. Since the Activison split been cooling off a bit as they cater more to people that can invest hours a day to the game but still fun (dropping story dlcs for season, no new strikes, etc...). Also not looking forward to the battle pass stuff, on pc game is full of afk farming bots already. Can't imagine how bad the strike playlist will be from now on.

I'll enjoy the game, just might not play it as much.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's a testament to the game that this is my primary complaint.

That and I think the PvP is a steaming pile of garbage and has been since the alpha

I'll be back in on shadowkeep thanks to them making the right call and globally bumping everyone to 750 power.

But I won't be able to play the first 2 weekends of Shadowkeep and I am already dreading feeling like I am hopelessly behind of all the people poopsocking the game.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Being in since the alpha I am happy to see how much this game has evolved.

Probably 35 years of playing video games and yeah Destiny the series will be the one that will go down at my favorite IP when this ride is finally over 8-10 years from now.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game of the decade for me.
I love the universe Bungie has crafted and I'm balls deep immersed into it

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree.

Although Destiny plays great, from the start it lacked content, which was cut into DLC pieces that cost way much more than thye're worth.

And when the first good DLC came, it cost more than half the base game price. And only then I'd consider Destiny complete.

By then I had almost 1500 hours put into it anyway, but I didn't buy the said expansion until much later, at a discount. Then the last DLC came with more balanced price, but still lacking in content. Still was the best DLC, imo.

And no, hours in grinding is not equal to content.

I'm not saying I didn't get my money's worth, I did a hundred times over. I put almost 2000 hours into it by 2016.

Imagine complaining about the lack of content or value in Destiny after playing it for 2000 hours in two years.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
RIP DrDrizzay and Holly.

And to all the Guardians we've lost along the way, Rest in Light.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny by and large has ruined the FPS genre for me. Any other shooter game I play... none of them come close to the shooting mechanics and feel of movement found in Destiny. I still play other games, but they tend to feel like they're lacking polish in comparison.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Feels great to play, but unfortunately the game the mechanics are a part of is boring AF.

OP
OP
TsuWave

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree.

so you're disagreeing with an appreciation thread, saying it could be much more but you haven't even bought the sequel?

dwill.png

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Ain't nothing like a destiny raid

It's like a hobby separate from gaming for me. I play games and I also play destiny.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I dont have as much time as other people, but i have around 400 which is a LOT for me. Way more than most any games I play by many times. All that playtime and I still can't wait for Shadowkeep.

May 25, 2019
London
Destiny 1 is what triggered me to buy a next-gen console finally in the summer of 2014. That first year had its highs and lows but what it really did was forge a community around the game in a way that hasn't been done around games like The Division, Anthem, etc.

I think the raids have gotten a little out of control in Destiny 2 (the mechanics of some of the Last Wish encounters is just a lot for pubs) but it's still a really unique experience in gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Imagine complaining about the lack of content or value in Destiny after playing it for 2000 hours in two years.
Ever played Diablo 3 or know anyone who has? GAAS looters are games that you can play and you find yourself perpetually feeling disappointment if it's not hitting the target of what you thought it would be. There are hordes of former Diablo players that put hundreds or even thousands of hours in, hoping that they would eventually "find the fun". The essential mechanics were flawless, but there was something missing. I can say that I was generally disappointed with Diablo 3 even after 1500 hours of play. I can say there are aspects of Elite Dangerous that I continue to be disappointed with after 1200 hours of play. There are aspects of Destiny 2 that are disappointing or under-developed as well. While those areas aren't an issue for me, I can certainly understand how they could be for someone else. GAAS games kinda have to be judged on a different time scale. Looters especially.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny is amazing.

I have been playing it consistently since the alpha for the first game, I take it for granted, but today I was thinking about this franchise, and all things considered, I don't think Bungie gets the plaudits they deserve. From the way it plays, to the scope of its raids, the weapons, the abilities, the activities available, the lore, etc.

man this is some GOAT shit.

it changed the gaming landscape too, and none of the copycats or "destiny-killers" even came close.
Fuck yeah! It's my GOTG. It's the game I'm not tired of playing despite putting over 1000 hours into it. It's the game that I can preorder shadowkeep with the pass and know I'm going to enjoy the fuck out of it. It's my hobby game and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
RIP DrDrizzay and Holly.

And to all the Guardians we've lost along the way, Rest in Light.

Indeed.

Destiny as a whole has given me over 1000 hours of entertainment. As someone who in the last 5 years has not had over a 1000 hours free for said entertainment, this is saying a lot.

I appreciate the guardians I've met along the way, and I look forward to doing this for another 5 years.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also want to remind anyone who happens to read this and not play, that Destiny 2 and the first 2 expansions will be free to play on October 1st. So there's no excuse to not give it a whirl.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Bungie is still the GOAT when it comes to gunplay. They were with Halo and they still are with Destiny. Every single time I try and play other loot games I just keep getting the itch to go back to Destiny rather than sticking with the current loot game. Recently happened with BL3 despite its much improved gunplay. With Bungie now fully investing into the rpg aspect and going f2p; Destiny will be in the best spot it has ever been in when Shadowkeep launches.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Raids in Destiny will go down as some of my favorite gaming moments of all time. Working through them with friends blind was a riot and the feeling of accomplishment when finishing them was immense. To me there is nothing in gaming that matches Destiny's 6 man raids. We've been on and off with Destiny 2 and haven't really tackled the raids after the first two due to life happening, but it's still been a great experience and I'm excited for Shadowkeep.

Pretty much. Destiny raids with GAF/Era folks are my favorite gaming moments in the last ten years. Even wiping repeatedly was fun. I wasn't going to come back for Shadowkeep Bc my better half HATES Destiny but the urge is there.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a huge fan, but the grind dial was turned way too high, it's difficult to find a raid team if you haven't already got a million completions, and the Crucible feels like absolutely zero care has been put into it whatsoever.

Might not sound like much, but PvE / Raiding / the Crucible are like the main draw of the game!

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge fan, but the grind dial was turned way too high, it's difficult to find a raid team if you haven't already got a million completions, and the Crucible feels like absolutely zero care has been put into it whatsoever.

Might not sound like much, but PvE / Raiding / the Crucible are like the main draw of the game!
Find a casual clan that is active. Are you on Pc?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

This is so true. VoG, King's Fall, Wrath of the Machine and Last Wish are among the best experiences I've ever had in gaming. Blind raids (especially day one) with friends are just an experience everybody should try.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Ever played Diablo 3 or know anyone who has? GAAS looters are games that you can play and you find yourself perpetually feeling disappointment if it's not hitting the target of what you thought it would be. There are hordes of former Diablo players that put hundreds or even thousands of hours in, hoping that they would eventually "find the fun". The essential mechanics were flawless, but there was something missing. I can say that I was generally disappointed with Diablo 3 even after 1500 hours of play. I can say there are aspects of Elite Dangerous that I continue to be disappointed with after 1200 hours of play. There are aspects of Destiny 2 that are disappointing or under-developed as well. While those areas aren't an issue for me, I can certainly understand how they could be for someone else. GAAS games kinda have to be judged on a different time scale. Looters especially.

That's a totally different critique then lampooning the game on its perceived lack of content or value. If you imagined this grand vision of what the game would be and it didn't live up to that, that's a personal reaction. If you put Destiny--at any point in the franchise's lifespan--up against other AAA $60 titles... the content/value is certainly there.

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 went from one of my biggest disappointments of 2017 to one of my favorites of 2019 and maybe even the generation.
I have tons and tons of gripes with D2 but the core experience, how much content there is that is worth doing is incredible.

It's just grindy enough that I can sit there and really work towards something if I sit down and play 40hrs in a week, but the grind isn't overpowering to the point that I don't feel like I am rushing to make up time or feel like I wasted my time if I only have an hour to play over the course of a week.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I almost exclusively play solo. I don't raid (I've done one raid in the history of Destiny), I don't play PvP unless I'm being forced to for an exotic quest, and it's a pain in the ass as always to get people to do the Nightfall...but there's still so much there aside from that, that I've put in hundreds of hours regardless.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Easily my most played game of all time. I have lost endless hours of sleep to it. When the game clicks, you share some of the greatest moments in gaming with your buddies. It is these highs that I cannot stop chasing.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played it in like 2 months and I'm excited for Shadowkeep to pull me back in. Destiny raids are probably my favorite multiplayer experience.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
This is so true. VoG, King's Fall, Wrath of the Machine and Last Wish are among the best experiences I've ever had in gaming. Blind raids (especially day one) with friends are just an experience everybody should try.

I'd even put Crota's End in there. The Thrall Pit was fucking hysterical working our way through that for the better part of a night. I kid you not when I say we had been trying for hours laughing our ass off when people would fall into holes only to have one person finally survive the heroic last stand before realizing they had to book it across the bridge while being chased by ogres and thrall. Everyone was just screaming and yelling for the person to run and erupting in happiness when they finally made it across. (this was before the sitting on the rock cheese existed)

That and finally toppling Crota for the first time, our sword bearer got greedy and got stomped and our titan that was dropping bubbles near Crota (this was before bubbles to distract the boomers strat existed) came out of nowhere, picked the sword up, we all fired rockets, took the shield down again and he frantically swiped Crota down. Was a absolute hero moment.

All these moments have such cool and fun stories to them. The first time we beat Golgoroth, etc, etc.

I actually prefer raids like that to the new Destiny 2 raids that are mired in difficult mechanics. Just surviving through pure hero moments don't seem to exist much anymore as the mechanics force wipes.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably the series I've played the most of this gen, at least in terms of online games. I've taken breaks here and there, but aside from the dark early days of D2, I've always been excited to come back, and it's always been good to do so.

Haven't played in a couple of weeks since I hit the current cap and there's a bit of a lull right now, but I'm excited for Shadowkeep.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It's probably the series I've played the most of this gen, at least in terms of online games. I've taken breaks here and there, but aside from the dark early days of D2, I've always been excited to come back, and it's always been good to do so.

Haven't played in a couple of weeks since I hit the current cap and there's a bit of a lull right now, but I'm excited for Shadowkeep.
Shadowkeeps gonna blow the game up. With how much god damn content a F2P user is getting I'm hyped.