• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's gonna be a no from me dawg. A huge AAA studio is going to need your money on day one.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't think Bungie is set up to support a F2P game the way a F2P game with good support needs to be. Not to mention it's hard for anyone to support a game with Destiny's AAA production values in that way. It's really hard to create content and assets at that level in the cadence it requires.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Show me a 750+ person studio running a F2P game with Bungie's overhead and without outside investment.

Some keep bringing this up like they have any idea how the company is structured internally. There is more to expenditures than a simple headcount. Chances are that number goes down but that is ok and possibly could have happened anyway had they stayed with Activision. There are way too many unknowns to simply say they can't do something because they have this many people working there.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Please, no. Eververse is already WAY to ingrained in the game. I'd like to see them abandon bright engrams entirely, and instead provide rewards that are earned by actually playing specific content. But I'm not expecting Bungie to do that. I would, however, expect them to double down yet again on Eververse if they had the excuse of being F2P.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't know how they could possibly make this work without making the game pay2win. I don't think enough people would pump money into the game for cosmetics to make it work.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny audience is largely single player. Hard to find a SP game on consoles With a good and fun f2p or P2W model.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A ton of free to play bespoke content isn't going to happen. It costs too much. They'll probably change their service model but the series will likely continue to be $60 entry.

I agree with another person ITT that mentioned an ARR reboot. That seems probable given what we know.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They will absolutely be doing Destiny 3. But I'm going to make a prediction.

Destiny 3 will launch in fall 2020, alongside the new consoles. But it will be marketed as the final "version" of Destiny -- there will be no sequels going forward and worlds from Destiny 1 and 2 will be brought forward to complete the original vision of a universe that truly grows and changes. They might even just drop the "3" and go with simply Destiny again.

Yes, I'm with this. One big GAAS title that grows over time.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I see many of you replying that you want less or no micro transactions. You don't actually think for a single second that there's a soul chance that will happen though right?

MTX in Destiny will never go away. The question is, should the wasted $60 entry fee go away in trade for millions of additional players.
I'd pay up-front if it meant I don't get nickeled and dimed the entire game. Those "millions" of players aren't going to pay, and just like most f2p games, will require whales to stay afloat with loads of microtransactions.

I still think a single long-running title with periodic expansions is the best way to go, and even charge a small sub-fee for annual-pass type content drops in between expansions.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
LOL

Gaming side Destiny threads.

Destiny 3 should cut the bullshit and implement more RPG mechanics, skills, and stat tracking.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think anybody minds paying $60 for Destiny. Destiny is great but not so amazing you want to pay another $20 or whatever every few months they 'got it right'

it worked in 2014 but there's other players in the field and they got carried away with their product's value. just destiny 3 working with whatever anthem and division are doing will work well, assuming the publishing gets worked out

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
They shouldn't make a Destiny 3 at all. Iterate on Destiny 2, and keep building upon that. Introduce a sub model like Elder Scrolls Online Plus for people who wants to stay on top of all the expansions, and offer the ex pacs at a flat price for other players.

Turn it into a platform. Stop making sequels.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Most definitely not. I'd rather Bungie takes their time with this now that they are independent instead of making it a free to play game with potential problems.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Bungie, in combination with their troublesome engine/tools, are capable of delivering the sheer number of content updates that they'd need to do to make a success of going that route. Even less so now that they don't have Acti support studios to help them out.
Bingo. They'll wrap it up as fast as they can and get the new IP on a more competent engine (UE4)
Most definitely not. I'd rather Bungie takes their time with this now that they are independent instead of making it a free to play game with potential problems.
next comet expac, see you in 2022.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I know the retention designer as my teacher last semester. He played a huge role in making Destiny 2 Forsaken.
I think I can trust him and Bungie to pull it off.

Eikemo

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 20, 2018
If a game is content rich enough for me to play the game every day for multiple hours I'll gladly pay 60 dollars + buy every dlc, gladly. Destiny 2 just didn't provide that

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I've been saying this since the days of destiny 1.

Destiny should have followed the warframe model of release, schedule, monetization and distribution.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
If they try to please their same community from Destiny 1, I'm out as I found both Destiny games to be pretty awful outside the gunplay and soundtrack.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Destiny 3 should be more like Halo and drop the World of Warcraft wannabe part. You can't change my mind.

so bungie should just create more halo structured games after they went indie and have the freedom to do more than just halo structured games when they were owned by microsoft and tasked to just do more halo structured games?

Sounds like an intriguing plan for a studio to go indie...do more of the same shit that you used to do after you have the freedom not to!

Dec 2, 2017
The biggest sticking point with the community have been the points when they have leaned too much into micro-transactions. The community has never really complained about buying expansions to the same degree that they have when micro-transactions were the focus. I hope that changed your mind.
Hell, I wish they'd charged more for the yearly pass. They charged for a year what a single DLC cost in the past, and now people are looking at this 3 month chunk and complaining endlessly that it doesn't have as much as those other DLCs by itself.

Given the amount of play I get out of Destiny, I'd gladly pay the price of 2-3 retail games a year, because I get more than 10x the amount of hours out of it I'd get out of even a massive open world game.

I know most gamers would never go along with that though. The freakouts would be serious.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
If bungie does a sub service? I'd fucking throw money at that. They could do that, a yearly purchase of that years content.

They have a lot of options. But personally I think that D3 should be a sub service game with a free trial about a quarter of the way in the campaign and to Lvl 20 at least. Then introduce the sub service for the game, include different sub months and rewards for each one. yearly pass for people who don't want to buy the game fully? Let them only play on that years content so basically it becominging a GaaS and it actually becomes an MMO, and not some mmo-lite.

This I feel would be in the direction they are heading anyways, with the annual pass which in itself sounds exactly what I described. I mean if the only two largest sub mmo's can last perfectly fine under their users, and don't see any chance of draining. If Bungie comes in with a lot of content and a detailed roadmap, this would be their chance to be the only FPS MMO that doesn't handle poorly, and with their name this would no doubt blow the fuck up. This is a no brainer for them imo.

Dec 2, 2017
Do we actually have player numbers to show how successful the 'service' model of Destiny 2 has been?
Yes. There were like 2 million people on last night. The Niobe labs event made it the #1 FPS on Twitch. The game's done fine, Activision's expectations are just out there, and when their stock price tanked in the fall they started putting the screws on their devs.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Games should not be free to play. At least by paying we know what we are getting, free stuff has too much lenients we are stepping ourselves into unknown territory