• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lapsed Destiny players only: Does Shadowkeep make you want to return to the game?

• Absolutely! I'm very excited to return to the breathtaking world of Destiny.

Votes: 363 40.6%
  • I'm fairly excited, but expected more. I'll wait and see how things pan out over the coming months.

Votes: 121 13.5%
  • I'm meh on it. I don't really care either way. I guess I could play it. Or not.

Votes: 263 29.5%
  • I'm disappointed, and expected more from Bungie.

Votes: 98 11.0%
  • No way! I'm livid! Can't believe they'd do this! So lame.

Votes: 26 2.9%
  • Other (post in thread)

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did we play the same expansion? Literally all of the tangled sure was hunting the barons.

and thats like what? 3 hours? and how much of those measly few hours was actually spend fighting the barons?

You mean like an entire third to a half of a six-eight hour campaign? The entirety of your time in tangled shore except the mission to find the spider was taking them down. They even made sure those were adventures so if you want you can go back and fight them individually.

Yeah that entire half of a six hour campaign spend chasing them, and 40 minutes fighting them sure is a lot in a game that most regular players have spend hundreds/thousands of hours

These enemies, with the exception of like 1 or 2, didn't even get built into any part of the post story mode content grind. So yeah like I said, you didn't really spend very much time on them. Nor were they very important to the overall story

Last edited:

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for cross save so I can hop around platforms and play with all my friends everywhere.

I can't wait for the game to be free so more people get into it and everything is more populated, and it becomes easier to get IRL friends to hop on for some Crucible or Gambit.

I can't wait to get my hands on all the current content, plus all the new stuff, plus all the old stuff that's coming back - the game will be meatier than ever.

The new RPG focus also sounds good. I had multiple T12 builds in D1, and I can't wait to once again make different builds that actually play differently.

I am really curious about the upgradeable artifact they showed off, and those finishing moves.

Crucible is getting looked at, with new maps and modes and a playlist rework.

More than anything though, I just feel the tone and attitude was right. This feels like a new era for the game and franchise, where the shots are being called with fewer bosses having to agree on a direction.

I'm absolutely hyped.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
and thats like what? 3 hours? and how much of those measly few hours was actually spend fighting the barons?

Who completed forsaken in 3 hours their first time? Maybe if you speed run it over leveled, skipping cutscenes, and speed running everything you already know how to do. Even doing that it took me like 4 hours on alts.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was hopeful that maybe this would be an informative post but the basis of your argument is so much false information so thats unfortunate.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who completed forsaken in 3 hours their first time? Maybe if you speed run it over leveled, skipping cutscenes, and speed running everything you already know how to do. Even doing that it took me like 4 hours on alts.

most of the time in the tangled shore was literally spend between story missions getting gear upgrades from events. The actual story missions themselves were probably 3 hours.

Feel free to count random hive and cabal public event grinding as fighting/chasing the barons if you want. At best you add a few hours to the equation, which still amounts to a total that accounts for very little of most players time spent in forsaken

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
You completely got what I was referring too wrong. Don't try to slip it to being something I didn't say.

You also criticized them for not moving the story forward. It is. They literally explained how it will, following similar form to the dreaming city.

I will never understand how sequels that revisit worlds for continuity in order to set up where the story goes from there is considered reused content. That feels like saying the shire is reused content in lord of the rings because they go back to it. If you want a sensible story, then this sort of thing is going to happen. Calling it a pure appeal to nostalgia before you actually know what it contains is fucking stupid.
I'm ok with reused content in certain scenarios. For instance, I was one of the folks who didn't think there was a good reason for them not to include the D1 patrol zones in D2. I didn't mind if we'd still be doing the same content then, because as many zones as possible were desperately needed, in order to make the game meatier. I take issue with Shadowkeep because it's the big Year Three expansion for D2, and people are paying over half the price of a new game to... return to the Ocean of Storms. Yes, I know it's twice the size now, and I'm gonna be fair: I'm sorry I didn't represent that in the OP, it was wrong of me. Still, there is a shared sentiment between a contingent of people that just don't wanna go back to the moon for Y3, even if it is expanded upon. In an ideal world, all of the existing destinations would've been included with D2 for all D1 owners, and then any expansion content is just new areas.
You really ought to play Forsaken before you start talking about how Bungie only cares about going back to old content. Forsaken was almost universally praised, and that is beyond the system changes which came to everyone.

It really sounds like you went into this with the most cynical view possible and saw what you wanted to see.
I will play Forsaken, down the line. I'm more interested in that than this new one, so it's a shame it won't be as relevant anymore, by the time I get to it. Alas, that comes with the territory of being a late adopter.

Oct 25, 2017
This thread title keeps triggering me, because it's such a blatant clickbait style attempt to shape the narrative around this game.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
This thread title keeps triggering me, because it's such a blatant clickbait style attempt to shape the narrative around this game.
It's one man's opinion, so the only thing I could really change is adding "In my opinion," to the beginning of the thread title. Would that really change anything?

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I'm ok with reused content in certain scenarios. For instance, I was one of the folks who didn't think there was a good reason for them not to include the D1 patrol zones in D2. I didn't mind if we'd still be doing the same content then, because as many zones as possible were desperately needed, in order to make the game meatier. I take issue with Shadowkeep because it's the big Year Three expansion for D2, and people are paying over half the price of a new game to... return to the Ocean of Storms. Yes, I know it's twice the size now, and I'm gonna be fair: I'm sorry I didn't represent that in the OP, it was wrong of me. Still, there is a shared sentiment between a contingent of people that just don't wanna go back to the moon for Y3, even if it is expanded upon. In an ideal world, all of the existing destinations would've been included with D2 for all D1 owners, and then any expansion content is just new areas.

I will play Forsaken, down the line. I'm more interested in that than this new one, so it's a shame it won't be as relevant anymore, by the time I get to it. Alas, that comes with the territory of being a late adopter.

I really don't get why you are assuming that you know everything that is going to be in the year 3 expac based of the initial reveal trailer over 3 months out. We had no idea what the scope of the dreaming city was going to be at this point in the forsaken marketing. Why are you assuming we know everything and forming a snap judgement about it when you admittedly have no idea the state Destiny is even in right now?

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of ambivalent about it right now. I'm sure as more concrete details come up (and if it manages to bring back any of my old crew) I'll get a little more interested. I am kind of tired of Bungie just scoring easy praise for looping back around to nostalgia hits like the cosmodrome and whatever. I'm disappointed that this latest season didn't refresh all the y1 raids. I am not even asking for new mechanics or gear. I literally just want those raids to have a max power mode that drops items with random rolls (have the y1 rolls be the curated rolls with MW). I am sick of them deprecating content the way they have done with every content addition.

Oct 25, 2017
It's one man's opinion, so the only thing I could really change is adding "In my opinion," to the beginning of the thread title. Would that really change anything?
I'm a wait and see kind of person, so this kind of thing just annoys me. There are so many games that I feel are bland or interested and I just pay them no mind. IDK. Not trying to shut down discussion or anything, but hot take/snap judgement stuff bugs the crap out of me.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't get why you are assuming that you know everything that is going to be in the year 3 expac based of the initial reveal trailer over 3 months out. We had no idea what the scope of the dreaming city was going to be at this point in the forsaken marketing. Why are you assuming we know everything and forming a snap judgement about it when you admittedly have no idea the state Destiny is even in right now?
They've fooled me so many times before, that's why I won't give them the benefit of the doubt. Tons of people are really sour on Destiny, and rightfully so. Game is very good at drawing you in, then creating chaos and leaving everything in shambles. Forsaken may have been good, but we can't truly know the cycle has been broken just yet.

If it turns out I'm wrong, we will know in just a few short months. You're welcome to bump this thread, and tell me I was foolish for being so negative towards Shadowkeep. I'll admit I was wrong. I'm just not ready to put my trust in these guys again.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
They've fooled me so many times before, that's why I won't give them the benefit of the doubt. Tons of people are really sour on Destiny, and rightfully so. Game is very good at drawing you in, then creating chaos and leaving everything in shambles. Forsaken may have been good, but we can't truly know the cycle has been broken just yet.

If it turns out I'm wrong, we will know in just a few short months. You're welcome to bump this thread, and tell me I was foolish for being so negative towards Shadowkeep. I'll admit I was wrong. I'm just not ready to put my trust in these guys again.

Destiny has had 5 years of content. 3 of the 5 have been considered great by the vast majority of the community. I think you are looking for things to feel burned by.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been burned
I dont trust Bungie
Lazy devs

Ironically, all reskinned and rehashed criticisms.

The game and dev were getting some good buzz for doing good things, cant have that.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I've been burned
I dont trust Bungie
Lazy devs

Ironically, all reskinned and rehashed criticisms.

The game and dev were getting some good buzz for doing good things, cant have that.
Things are different this time, I swear!
Bungie is finally listening to the playerbase
Destiny is in a great place now (until it's not)

More reskinned criticisms, but from the Destiny-positive side.

I'll wear an embarrassing anime avatar on here for two weeks if Shadowkeep turns out to be a fantastic expansion with minimal issues.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bitch please, I'm going to the MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I'll wear an embarrassing anime avatar on here for two weeks if Shadowkeep turns out to be a fantastic expansion with minimal issues.
I really couldn't give hapenny jizz with what you do to your Avatar, weird flex BTW.

Like the embarrassment that was the PS4 cross-save thread, best to save your venom and ire for when solid details and facts are out before leaping to judgment.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
You'll get a lot of shit, but I agree. It was time to push the story forward, and instead we're getting a nostalgia-bait expansion that will likely only tease Savathun/Darkness like the past 4 content drops. It's definitely reeking of ROI-tier wheel-spinning. But if the raid and dungeon are good, it won't matter too much ultimately.

Savathun is not the darkness, and is almost assuredly heavily involved in this expansion. Riven/The Taken were not revealed to be the main driving force of Forsaken, and there is a lot of stuff in this expansion they have not talked about, especially the particulars.

The Darkness is not Savathun -us dealing with her will basically wrap up all the plot threads that D2 has setup since its launch. She's the big bad of this era of Destiny (the 2 era), without a doubt. They aren't going to spoil that right at the start of Opulence, and exactly 3 months prior to the expansion dropping.

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
lol, good old "but the reskined content" complain.

And yet the majority of people who play the game are begging Bungie to integrate every single thing we've seen from D1 into D2 to then get D3 as content updates, that's the ultimate goal for everyone.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was more impressed by the F2P and cross-save stuff than the actual Shadowkeep information.

The team in the QA also made it clear that a lot of community requests are still a long way out, and this is simply laying the foundation for things to come. For a lot of old players who left, they don't want to come back because a foundation has been laid, they want to come back because all the improvements are actually in the game.

I'll probably continue to hold out some more and watch from the sidelines as Bungie makes more and more improvements to the game.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I really couldn't give hapenny jizz with what you do to your Avatar, weird flex BTW.

Like the embarrassment that was the PS4 cross-save thread, best to save your venom and ire for when solid details and facts are out before leaping to judgment.
It's not for you, my friend. It's my own way of showing that I'm confident in this expansion being mediocre.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
As someone who has invested an entirely unhealthy amount of time in the last 5 years in this series, I have to say that the Forsaken until now period has easily been the best period of Destiny, bar none. And its early days, but Season of Opulence feels like a true turning point for the seasonal structure they have been doing experiments with for nearly 2 years now.

They have absolutely nailed this season and how it layers on top of the pre-existing meta. Everything they have said about where they want to take the series indicates they want to lean even more heavily in the direction & structure they established with Forsaken and have continued and iterated upon with each passing season.

I understand why some lapsed players are very hesitant to jump back in or to buy the good press. Just wait and see what impressions are like. At the very least, it doesn't sound like Bungie is going to make it hard for you to just jump in & start playing with us if you decide to hop aboard later. Not like it was. I have the utmost confidence in what they are doing right now and I couldn't be happier for the future of this series.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What is with Bungie and recycling content so heavily? Even Blizzard avoided revamping a raid until Wrath of the Lich King and Naxx. It almost feels like they actually don't know how to make new content in part because the story is so splintered by obvious reboots due to atrocious starts.

I also just can't get behind a game that has showed twice, despite getting back on their feet, failings of design and care for the world. Ye old saying fool me once always rings true for Destiny.

Oct 27, 2017
What is with Bungie and recycling content so heavily? Even Blizzard avoided revamping a raid until Wrath of the Lich King and Naxx. It almost feels like they actually don't know how to make new content in part because the story is so splintered by obvious reboots due to atrocious starts.

I also just can't get behind a game that has showed twice, despite getting back on their feet, failings of design and care for the world. Ye old saying fool me once always rings true for Destiny.
What content are you referring to that is being recycled?

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019

It's almost like both ends of the Destiny criticism spectrum are dumb and it's healthier to aim for the middle. I agree that your title is click bait-y as hell, and is at least somewhat misinformed. I also don't understand why you would post such a negative post about a game you admit you're not even up to date with, which to me suggests you're not that interested in it to begin with. Which is fine, but then why complain?

As others have said, you're making a lot of huge assumptions about the actual content based on the return of previous antagonists in the series despite the fact this is a perfect middle-ground response from Bungie to all the people who constantly ask for all the D1 content to come back. It's a very common request on both the Bungie forums and the Destiny subreddit.

Also hilarious to call it nostalgia-bait and unearned when it's bringing back enemies from like five years ago. You being really late to the party doesn't make it unearned, it makes you far behind.

Grimace McRib

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I'm kinda meh on it too OP. I skipped the last season, and still haven't jumped in because of life getting in the way but I'm more excited about the direction than the actual expansion itself.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Gaming side Destiny threads are always fun. Full of hot takes and terrible opinions from those who A) don't play this game or B) haven't played in eons or just totally out of the loop.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Hunting the Barons took like 5 hours lol. Most of forsaken was in the dreaming city.
Considering it's a fraction of what that DLC offers and isn't even a focal point for Endgame, that's pretty damn good amount for first run. More so when you consider that this is a game meant to be replayed rather than experienced once. So I'm not sure what's to lol about there.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Having only played the base D1 and D2, I'm open to it. Not building on all the other DLC is a nice touch, but I'd still prefer to go through the other D2 DLC first. Being on Steam now, I'll be a little more inclined to give it a shot than I would have before.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
What content are you referring to that is being recycled?
Have you seen the ViDoc for Shadowkeep?
It's almost like both ends of the Destiny criticism spectrum are dumb and it's healthier to aim for the middle. I agree that your title is click bait-y as hell, and is at least somewhat misinformed. I also don't understand why you would post such a negative post about a game you admit you're not even up to date with, which to me suggests you're not that interested in it to begin with. Which is fine, but then why complain?

As others have said, you're making a lot of huge assumptions about the actual content based on the return of previous antagonists in the series despite the fact this is a perfect middle-ground response from Bungie to all the people who constantly ask for all the D1 content to come back. It's a very common request on both the Bungie forums and the Destiny subreddit.

Also hilarious to call it nostalgia-bait and unearned when it's bringing back enemies from like five years ago. You being really late to the party doesn't make it unearned, it makes you far behind.
I've already said why I'm not up to date on Destiny 2: the game had a disastrous launch. Still, I put 400 hours into base D2, just doing Trials, playing with friends, raiding, the usual stuff. I'm just supposed to maintain that interest until Forsaken comes along, I guess? I just stopped caring. There's far better games out there than Destiny, and I'd rather put my time into those instead.

I don't even see how "far behind" has relevance, when we're talking about them bringing back old stuff. Being far behind is good, in that case, because I guess it'd mean I'm the guy they're trying to appeal to, bringing back Crota, Skolas, Oryx, etc.? It's just a bland reveal.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sick and tired of them continually starting a story arc leading to something cool. Osiris, Rasputin, Uldren etc. Then basically just stopping and moving on. Fucking follow through for once. Give us a complete story arc.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Yes I did. Are you unable to support your comment and directed a question back to me?
Every recycled boss. The recycled moon. The recycled Cosmodrome mission. The recycled armor. Not sure how you missed that stuff.
Ah yes the new raid, PVP maps, new exotics, new Hive variants, new space on the moon, all recycled content.
Of course there's new content, but when there's so much old stuff too... meh.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
I just stopped caring. There's far better games out there than Destiny, and I'd rather put my time into those instead.

I don't even see how "far behind" has relevance, when we're talking about them bringing back old stuff. Being far behind is good, in that case, because I guess it'd mean I'm the guy they're trying to appeal to, bringing back Crota, Skolas, Oryx, etc.? It's just a bland reveal.

This is what I'll never understand. If there's far better games out there that you want to put your time into, why are you putting your time into shitting on it here? People being unable to "let go" of a game and feeling the need to comment on something they don't like despite claiming their disdain/disinterest is mind-boggling to me.

I'm calling you far behind because you were saying things like "feels like only yesterday we fought Skolas". Bruh, that was a little over four years ago now. So much stuff has happened in game between then and now that to call it unearned as if it's hasn't been long enough is literally false.

I swear Destiny is a lightning rod for people who enjoy holding grudges. Hearing valid complaints and criticisms is an important and arguably necessary thing for any game, or show, or media. But hearing the same thing, from the same people, who don't even do their research or who claim not to care, it's genuine insanity.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed with you OP. I'm someone that really enjoyed base Destiny 2 but the first two expansions were underwhelming and I had no desire to pick up The Forsaken. Going back to the moon doesn't exactly make me want to pick the game up again. Was hoping we'd get new planets or something.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

bruh put on the avatar now. Even Destiny at it's worst, was still decent. Forsaken was a fantastic expansion, I highly doubt they will regress again when they are leaning even more into what made people love Forsaken.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Looks kinda like Taken 2.0. Feeling pretty meh about it right now, but that might change once we learn more about what's coming.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Wonder how many of the "'new weapons and armour'" are just rehashed D1 weapons? They fucking love doing that over brand new stuff