• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shlice

Nov 6, 2017
User Warned: Lazy Dev rhetoric
I really hope they can deliver on everything. As someone that absolutely loved the first Destiny, Destiny 2 just hasn't done it for me. It also seems like every time there is some new content, Bungie makes it sound like Destiny 2 will turn into something incredible because they want to sell you on the new content, so I feel like this isn't anything new. I just remain very skeptical at this time. I know a lot of people just put the blame of Destiny 2's problems onto Activision, and while I'm sure they caused numerous issues, I think Bungie is just as responsible for their fair share of issues as well. I also know a lot of people totally disagree with me as well and think Destiny 2 is incredible, this is just my opinion on it.

We shall see though. I'm not buying the new content yet, I'm not falling for that again, but if word of mouth is good and I hope it is, I would be happy to jump back in. I want nothing more than to see Bungie to turn back into that studio that made some of my favorite games ever with all their Halo games and Destiny 1.

This is how I feel too, man.

People in here can be mad but I'm not coming from a bad place, its cause i'm just frustrated at what this franchise could have become.

As Datto kinda eluded to, the past few content drops are just like "go to this over here, then go to that over there, then go do this." None of it means anything in the grand scheme of things.

And everytime they make a fancy ViDoc and hype something new, it is always barely acceptable and kind of cool but i'll buy it anyways only to find after 3 weeks it really does suck and it's just the same shit all over again.

Datto brought up recycled content a few times. Luke's response was "the art guy put a different light source on it and it looked cool." It just feels lazy.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
A ton of really exciting shit and way beyond what I expected from Destiny announcements. I won't be jumping into the expansion at launch in September because WoW Classic will probably have me by the balls at that point but when that dies down I'm all in on Destiny 2 again.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
You can't just get Shadowkeep. You still have to have the base game. They just renamed the base game (New Light) and made it free. With New Light they also implemented a system that will boost you up to a level that allows you to jump into the newer content without a huge time commitment.

So in short: if you wait until September to jump into Destiny with the Shadowkeep DLC, you will be able to jump into the new content very quickly and not have to progress through the old stuff first.
Thanks! It all makes a little more sense now.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Datto brought up recycled content a few times. Luke's response was "the art guy put a different light source on it and it looked cool." It just feels lazy.

This comment feels lazy. We've been to Earth and Mars again in D2 and both of those areas were different from the D1 counter parts. Just because we're on the moon again doesn't mean it is recycled.

You live on the earth, but I'm sure you're aware that it is a big planet and 200 miles away isn't the same as your little slice.

I can't believe people travel to different places. It's just recycled content. We've already been to earth. /s

Shlice

Nov 6, 2017
idk why people blame activision for bungie's failings. if anything is wrong with the gameplay it's bungie's fault. they're the ones that neglected pvp and decided to remove trials and faction rallies, not activision.

you can probably blame activision for the eververse shenanigans and the PS4 exclusivity deals but that's it. however when it comes to eververse, the state of the store currently shows you what eververse looks like without activision, and it's not good. bungie under activision brought us the prismatic matrix, which is now gone.

destiny 2 is a good game overall but there are a lot of little niggling things that you don't really understand about it until you play the game for a long time.

I have no idea why they can't/won't just flood us with new content.

It's been 5 years of the same 3 guardian types. They just never do anything to shake up the game, everything is so safe and/or recycled.

Is it a financial thing? Well I'd hope not if they were backed by Activision. Pockets should have been endless. Unless they weren't bringing in enough cash and Activision says, "You have X amount of money this year, here." Then they can only make what they can make.

And now they're on their own and I'm sure have a finite amount of money and have to give us Shadowkeep with, again, nothing ground breaking here.

Or is it creativity. I dunno.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
I loved everything about how they intro'd Shadowkeep, and it's great to see they are going all in on the MMO Action RPG side of things. I haven't played a lot since Forsaken because life has been kind of hectic with a baby, but it seems like the game is in a good place right now and that makes my heart happy. Just wish there were more hours in the day to play this, along with everything else in my backlog.

Shlice

Nov 6, 2017
This comment feels lazy. We've been to Earth and Mars again in D2 and both of those areas were different from the D1 counter parts. Just because we're on the moon again doesn't mean it is recycled.

You live on the earth, but I'm sure you're aware that it is a big planet and 200 miles away isn't the same as your little slice. I can't believe people travel to different places. It's just recycled content. We've already been to earth.

We're comparing creating virtual locations in a videogame to getting in a car and driving on Earth. Okay.

In a game that has been struggling with new content and new places to go and enemies to fight and characters to play as..... going back to a place we spent so much time before, to ME, is lazy.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So patrol areas from Forsaken will be free? Is that the case for Shadowkeep as well?

Also, will Gambit be free?

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna try and break this down:

Destiny 2 New Light is Destiny 2 base campaign, Curse of Osiris, and Warmind as well as patrol areas on all planets and gambit - Free

^ This is compatible with the following, and none of the following require you to purchase the other for it to work. Everything is a la carte v

Destiny Year 2 - Forsaken and Annual Pass content Black Armory, Season of the Drifter, Season of Opulence - $40 USD

Shadowkeep (includes the current seasonal content license at the time of purchase for free, for example The Season of Undying if purchased when it launches) - $35 USD

Shadowkeep Digital Deluxe (Shadowkeep and 4 seasonal content licenses) - $60 USD

Individual seasonal content license - $?? per season (nothing I can find on this yet, but was clearly stated they can be purchased seperately)

Essentially expansions are campaigns with story missions, strikes, dungeons and raids. It sounds like the patrol areas (I'm assuming both?) will be available to visit for all players to make this new model viable. Not sure how this will apply to the moon and Shadowkeep, but realistically it will likely have to be the same.

Seasons will likely proceed the same way they do currently. Free content here and there for New Light players, and substantial content for seasonal content license owners.

D8ZR3xCXUAYVNj-.jpg

The cross save system screenshot in the Vidoc refers to Expansions (Shadowkeep and Forsaken) as "entitlements" and paid Seasonal content as "licenses". Entitlements show no sign of being transferred on this screen whereas seasonal content licenses are clearly stated as transferring to all platforms via cross save. So, with the exception of the Battle.net to Steam migration, it looks like you'll have to repurchase a expansion if you switch platforms, but seasonal content purchases will transfer at no additional purchase.

Additional note, if you purchase a season and then purchase Shadowkeep or Shadowkeep deluxe then the cost of that season you previously purchased will be refunded via the monetary equivalent in ingame Silver so that money isn't completely lost.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Pretty hyped, this is the direction the majority of the community has wanted for a while.

Also good on Sony for making cross save happen last min. I know the revenue sharing details are probably a sticking point, especially with the base game going f2p. But they all are making it happen.

Raid in the black garden? Eris returning (stranger as well?) Darkness/Hive resurrecting old enemies (maybe friends?). Retooling the moon PvE area and drastically expanding it! RPG element and min / maxing. End game Space Barbie!

H Y P E

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
My only concern with this is, consoles with never see 60 fps

My hope is next gen we finally get MSony dictating that a 1080P/60 FPS performance mode is required to pass QA. The console should have the power to do so, and while the showpiece will always be 4K, having that option required for the frames would be nice.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Okay thanks. I guess the most confuing part for me is the character part.
If I start fresh with Shadowkeep - do they give me a scaled up character? And what if my New Light/D2 character is now good/levelled enough for Shadowkeep?
I guess I have not played enough of D2 to really grasp it. Got the game for free on PC last year but never got past lvl10 or so.
They said on the stream that they're still tweaking the minute details, but currently starting a new character would start you at 750 PL.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone summarize the Q/A session? I missed that section of the stream due to work.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
So Forsaken is going to be part of the free to play offering? Isn't that "year 2"?

Gambit and the patrol areas (Tangled Shore and Dreaming City) will be part of the free game but pretty much everything else will require buying the expansion. From what they said, that includes things like Shattered Throne but I don't know about Blind Well.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
We're comparing creating virtual locations in a videogame to getting in a car and driving on Earth. Okay.

In a game that has been struggling with new content and new places to go and enemies to fight and characters to play as..... going back to a place we spent so much time before, to ME, is lazy.

Again, how do you know that you've been to this part of the moon in Destiny before? Like it is a big fucking rock. Just because it is on the moon doesn't mean it isn't new; doesn't mean it is recycled. My analogy to real life works perfectly fine because it demonstrates that places aren't just cookie cutter and there is diversity across a single planet. Just because the moon is the macro-location for the content doesn't mean the micro-location on the moon is the same (I'm sure some of it will be, but they also mentioned how it has changed since we've last been there so I expect it to be some fan callbacks, but with enough new to keep it fresh).

Not gonna comment much on the enemy diversity because I would like to see that improved as well and it looks like there might be some new ones based on the trailer, but we'll see.

BMO=GOAT

Oct 26, 2017

Destiny 2 New Light is Destiny 2 base campaign, Curse of Osiris, and Warmind as well as patrol areas on all planets and gambit - Free

^ This is compatible with the following, and none of the following require you to purchase the other for it to work. Everything is a la carte v

Destiny Year 2 - Forsaken and Annual Pass content Black Armory, Season of the Drifter, Season of Opulence - $40 USD

Shadowkeep (includes the current seasonal content license at the time of purchase for free, for example The Season of Undying if purchased when it launches) - $35 USD

Shadowkeep Digital Deluxe (Shadowkeep and 4 seasonal content licenses) - $60 USD

Individual seasonal content license - $?? per season (nothing I can find on this yet, but was clearly stated they can be purchased seperately)

Essentially expansions are campaigns with story missions, strikes, dungeons and raids. It sounds like the patrol areas (I'm assuming both?) will be available to visit for all players to make this new model viable. Not sure how this will apply to the moon and Shadowkeep, but realistically it will likely have to be the same.

Seasons will likely proceed the same way they do currently. Free content here and there for New Light players, and substantial content for seasonal content license owners.

D8ZR3xCXUAYVNj-.jpg

The cross save system screenshot in the Vidoc refers to Expansions (Shadowkeep and Forsaken) as "entitlements" and paid Seasonal content as "licenses". Entitlements show no sign of being transferred on this screen whereas seasonal content licenses are clearly stated as transferring to all platforms via cross save. So, with the exception of the Battle.net to Steam migration, it looks like you'll have to repurchase a expansion if you switch platforms, but seasonal content purchases will transfer at no additional purchase.

Additional note, if you purchase a season and then purchase Shadowkeep or Shadowkeep deluxe then the cost of that season you previously purchased will be refunded via the monetary equivalent in ingame Silver so that money isn't completely lost.
Where do you see the Destiny year 2 forsaken content for $40? I checked the psn store and all i see is the Forsake complete edition at $100.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
So how does this work as a PS4 player wanting to utilize cross-save on PC? Will I have to double dip on everything?

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017

D8ZR3xCXUAYVNj-.jpg

Makes sense, if you can transfer expansions for free on another platform that it means people can just buy it on pc and cross saved it to ps4/xbox/stadia without Sony/MS/google getting a cut in the sales and they don't like that.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I don't know... If you're a Destiny fan congratulations on the news... But as D1 vet who stayed away from D2, well I see content drought and asset reuse. Bringing the cosmodrome back doesn't excite me, it worries me.

Again, if you're into Destiny and are hype I'm happy for you.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know... If you're a Destiny fan congratulations on the news... But as D1 vet who stayed away from D2, well I see content drought and asset reuse. Bringing the cosmodrome back doesn't excite me, it worries me.

The Cosmodrome isn't coming back. That's the first game's Earth location. This is the moon, and wizards come from there.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

D8ZR3xCXUAYVNj-.jpg

So when will forsaken + the annual pass be 40$? It's not that price on the PS store yet.. just curious

edit: looks like the PS days of play sale has the complete collection on sale for 39.99.. guess that is it? comes w/ forsaken and annual + all dlc

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
It's weird that we have so many people saying some variation of "I haven't played any D2 and still will not because reasons"...it's free! I don't get if you've ever like Destiny, why you wouldn't at least play this occasionally.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Datto is probably the best person from the content creating community that they could've grabbed. Plus he's local lol.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017

Content Drought based on.....what? They stated nothing about content aside from Shadowkeep will be similar in scope to Forsaken which was..relatively massive.

and the Cosmodrome is just the first mission and then done. To bypass the story and get to the city.

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
So when will forsaken + the annual pass be 40$? It's not that price on the PS store yet.. just curious

edit: looks like the PS days of play sale has the complete collection on sale for 39.99.. guess that is it? comes w/ forsaken and annual + all dlc

Yeah, that's the same thing basically. Not sure when the price will hit that on other platforms but they definitely said that was the price for the year 2 content when they were talking about the New Light stuff. So it could be September before that price becomes standard everywhere until Bungie announces a specific date for the $40 price tag. Either way avoid buying forsaken + annual pass anywhere unless it's $40.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking back there really wasn't any holy shit moment for me. It was about 80% f2p shit and 20% Shadowkeep info.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
So if I happen to have the Destiny 2 Year one expansions and Forsaken but lost the base disc, am I out of luck and need to buy the $40 bundle to get caught up?

Edit: I realize I can get the game for basically pennies used, I'm talking more about the year two expansion stuff.