• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Lol, yeah, I have played it. Stop making it out to be some amazing game. It's a average fps with shitty story and repetitive gameplay, but does have nice feeling shooting.

Bungo fandom sure do hate criticism

Sounds like you dropped off in the base game, or perhaps Curse of Osiris and Warmind. You also don't have much criticism to go off of other than the generic kind of complaints you'd see in Youtube comment arguments.

You say its an average FPS but "nice feeling shooting". That's the core of an FPS game.

Also, I'm not a Bungie fan. I don't think their Halo work is any good, but Destiny is actually something special.

And anyway, we're disputing facts here. How is it "fandom" to understand why a game might be so big? Its a fact that 4K textures and high quality audio bloat the fuck out of a game, alongside anim files that are absolutely massive on their own.

Back to my first point, really. You don't have anything that hasn't been seen in your usual Youtube comment argument. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is forcing people to download the updates within the game on PS4 when app is active. No ability to do it in rest mode. Hope they change that.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is forcing people to download the updates within the game on PS4 when app is active. No ability to do it in rest mode. Hope they change that.
That's true! I forgot about that since moving to PC. Does Xbox do that I wonder? At least the music is good?

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Sounds like you dropped off in the base game, or perhaps Curse of Osiris and Warmind. You also don't have much criticism to go off of other than the generic kind of complaints you'd see in Youtube comment arguments.

You say its an average FPS but "nice feeling shooting". That's the core of an FPS game.

Also, I'm not a Bungie fan. I don't think their Halo work is any good, but Destiny is actually something special.

And anyway, we're disputing facts here. How is it "fandom" to understand why a game might be so big? Its a fact that 4K textures and high quality audio bloat the fuck out of a game, alongside anim files that are absolutely massive on their own.

Back to my first point, really. You don't have anything that hasn't been seen in your usual Youtube comment argument. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yah, cos theres tons of games with this size of file....... 🤔. 4k textures, lmao, are you saying no other game has these??

Oct 28, 2017
Yah, cos theres tons of games with this size of file....... 🤔. 4k textures, lmao, are you saying no other game has these??

Take one look at the complaints about Black Ops 4 updating on a PS4 and you'll see what I mean. That game has hit 100+GB already and its definitely going to be smaller in scope than Destiny 2, but it already punches above its weight in terms of size.

We're in a new era of game assets. You should really learn a bit more about games, to be honest. How they're made and all that.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this makes Warframe shrinking it's game size from 48 gigs to 24 gigs last year look like a miracle

demi

Oct 27, 2017
That's true! I forgot about that since moving to PC. Does Xbox do that I wonder? At least the music is good?

You can download updates while the console is in rest mode / turned off. If there is an update, the xbox will prompt you, and it just runs the download in the background, so I can go play another game or watch twitch or whatever while it's downloading.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Take one look at the complaints about Black Ops 4 updating on a PS4 and you'll see what I mean. That game has hit 100+GB already and its definitely going to be smaller in scope than Destiny 2, but it already punches above its weight in terms of size.

We're in a new era of game assets. You should really learn a bit more about games, to be honest. How they're made and all that.

Patronise much? How is your career in game dev?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking about textures, D2 has some of the worst textures for a AAA I've ever seen

I feel like they actually downgraded the game since vanilla. Every time they update with a new season, it seems to lower the rextures and effects in some areas. Not just on console but PC people told me the same thing. I assume they want to keep the performance up.

Oct 28, 2017
Patronise much? How is your career in game dev?

I don't need a career in game dev to understand why games are getting so big. Why can't you understand that games are only going to blow up in size if people expect every asset to be unique in size, or if devs want to endeavour to give that experience? Nobody wants a copy-pasted cookie cutter world in a game. Everyone is gagging for that unique and detailed world.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I did but the bulk of that post was about why the file size was that big which you seemed to ignore.

You kept up but you only posted about one thing??
I don't need a career in game dev to understand why games are getting so big. Why can't you understand that games are only going to blow up in size if people expect every asset to be unique in size, or if devs want to endeavour to give that experience? Nobody wants a copy-pasted cookie cutter world in a game. Everyone is gagging for that unique and detailed world.

What other game is this size with worse looking assets over time? D2 looks worse than it did at launch

Oct 25, 2017
Huh?
Do you mean the updates when you load the game up itself? They've only ever been less than 5MB by memory. And I'd assume that's the same for all platforms.
For the big updates it's usually on the base game itself via the PS4 O/S which can be done in rest mode.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they actually downgraded the game since vanilla. Every time they update with a new season, it seems to lower the rextures and effects in some areas. Not just on console but PC people told me the same thing. I assume they want to keep the performance up.

I think they did. I didn't play all of 2018 but when I got back into the game this year it definitely seemed less sharp than what I remembered back in 2017. Not game breaking at all mind you, but I definitely had a "...Huh" moment when I first started back up again, but I felt like things started looking a lot better two updates ago. But in my opinion some areas definitely look better than others.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Huh?
Do you mean the updates when you load the game up itself? They've only ever been less than 5MB by memory. And I'd assume that's the same for all platforms.
For the big updates it's usually on the base game itself via the PS4 O/S which can be done in rest mode.

Nope, I tried that when I decided to play on second PS4 this year. I decided to just update through it with a fresh install and every time it went into rest mode, the updates would stop entirely. The base game was installed normally but pretty much all updates went through the app and it took almost all day and night. I had to leave my PS4 on.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
ProstatePuncher uses ProstatePunch
We are saying Destiny 2 has bad textures now?
Are we serious?
oxHMiK3.gif

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If your asking that, you truly don't play other games

Ah gatekeeper fuckery.

It's your burden of proving what other game has better textures that is of the same type.
I'm playing Dishonored 2: Death of the Outsider right now and for a singleplayer game it has about the same texture quality/work.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
This is nothing against Destiny 2 in particular, but I loathe the size of game downloads these days. And it seems like even if you buy a physical copy (which I tend to do), you still have to download 50+ GB anyway... I 100% understand why things have gotten to this point, but I just don't like it. It's often very inconvenient.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Doom,
Ah gatekeeper fuckery.

It's your burden of proving what other game has better textures that is of the same type.
I'm playing Dishonored 2: Death of the Outsider right now and for a singleplayer game it has about the same texture quality/work.

EA games, battlefront 2, bf 5, doom, metro, rainbow six

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Given the return of the Cosmodrome, I think it's a reasonable assumption that they aren't putting resources into it being there for the first 20 minutes of the game for new F2P players. I think it is indeed very likely that there is much more than the moon and some uncompressed localization assets here.
It's already been mostly done, though. The Thunderlord mission has almost the entirety of the first mission minus the room where you find the shop and a section of The Divide leading to it. I would love for this bloated size to not just be the "warning" for installation on PS4, but I'm not holding my breath on it being the rest of the D1 maps unless it's JUST the D1 maps.

Though, I suppose the size of D1 would be much smaller if you cut out the FMVs and dialog not being used if you don't do those missions. Hm...

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not convinced this is the whole story, I genuinely can't see how the game would almost double i size with a single expansion.
Unless they are also taking this opportunity to change/update a whole load of legacy assets at the same time (which would need space to download to first)
If that is the case then it wont be that large at the end of the process

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
All those extra GBs...it's almost like they secretly packed all of Destiny 1 in there.

Imagine if you booted up Shadowkeep for the first time and you saw this:

YhYIlzy.jpg

(ignore the Almighty, it was just on the base image I used for the mockup and I couldn't be bothered to edit it out. Then again, it would be cool to have a strike, etc. set there...)

All the patrol locations, strikes, raids, etc. from D1 all there and playable in 4K for the first time, in addition to all the new content. It would be the craziest surprise. :D
I want to believe, but no.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not convinced this is the whole story, I genuinely can't see how the game would almost double i size with a single expansion.
Unless they are also taking this opportunity to change/update a whole load of legacy assets at the same time (which would need space to download to first)
If that is the case then it wont be that large at the end of the process
It's literally just accounting for temporary space needed for patching/installation, like every single storage space requirement out there, nothing more.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doom,

EA games, battlefront 2, bf 5, doom, metro, rainbow six

• Battlefront 2
  • BF 5
  • Rainbow Six

Are shooters confined to one map at the time set in places with no varience in textures despite the big maps.

Doom 2016 does not have better textures than Destiny 2
Metro (Exodus I believe), texture work is piss poor, the only good part is the RTX lightning.

Other EA games: Does Sims 4 count? Or FIFA? Do we want to compare Destiny 2 to FIFA?

I'm not going to continue this line of thinking, you are just trolling and arguing in bad faith.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
  • Battlefront 2
  • BF 5
  • Rainbow Six

Are shooters confined to one map at the time set in places with no varience in textures despite the big maps.

Doom 2016 does not have better textures than Destiny 2
Metro (Exodus I believe), texture work is piss poor, the only good part is the RTX lightning.

Other EA games: Does Sims 4 count? Or FIFA? Do we want to compare Destiny 2 to FIFA?

I'm not going to continue this line of thinking, you are just trolling and arguing in bad faith.

EA games as in bf2 and BF 5. Sims and fifa, lol, are you high?

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I'm taking about you saying D2 players don't buy other games. That's dumb and you know, objectively false.

You just said I don't play the game. You lied. Most of these GaaS players, especially destiny fanatics don't have time to play other games. I know many in the clan I'm in. They would rather run 300 strikes to get a catalyst that does fuck all apart from complete their score so they have bragging rights.