• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've played like 50 matches. The supers make it super awful.

You probably use captain america.
I use solar tree actually (top). And right now I'm not even using OEM.

It's pretty well balanced imo, especially now roaming supers can be taken down so easily. I see a lot of different weapons too. Feels good to me.

So I fired up the game for the first time, and I'm doing alright on figuring everything out but its a lot to process. How steep is the learning curve in this game?
A little steep, especially if you're new to this kind of game.

My advice to new players:

Finish tutorial mission and end up in the tower.
Got to the hanger and visit Amanda Holiday.
Take the legacy quests and complete those first (base game and previous DLC campaigns).

From there it depends what content you own.

If you have Forsaken, do that campaign. Then do the Shadowkeep campaign.

From there you will be all caught up on the current stories. You will then need to choose your route toward end-game.

You will want to hit power level 900. Once you get there, challenges will appear (yellow orbs next to certain destinations) that award powerful gear that will take you beyond 900.

You will then level up to 920 and beyond. As you go you should pick and choose which quests and weapons and armour you want to work on, trying to overlap multiple to be more efficient.

Make sure you visit Spider on the Tabnled Shore to exchange materials that you need.

Make sure to visit Xur where he appears at random each week for a choice of exotic items for purchase.

And gear up for end game actitivites.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I kinda feel finishers are completely useless. it's a cool idea but they should give you a buff or something.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing pretty ok in PVP with my I can't aim for shit build: pulse rifle + shotgun / SMG + machine gun. Nice.

On another note, I noticed that the prime engram "buff" comes and goes. Do you just get one prime engram drop per day?

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
PVE consists of a heck of a lot more than that, but yeah that's what first light wants you to do first to get your bearings. I would just recommend starting with the legacy campaigns (Go to the tower, look at the map, and go to Amanda Holliday and select and then start the "Red War" campaign from your tower map, I think that's more of a proper introduction to the game versus just being dumped into the open world imo.

Good tip thanks. I played a bit and ended up on mars not knowing what was going on.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel finishers are completely useless. it's a cool idea but they should give you a buff or something.
I like them, they do feel a bit superfluous.... but sometimes they can be very useful. A major who is causing havoc and you need to reload.... my drop kick has saved me from a down a few times.

Then see my post above.

Go to Amanda Holiday and grab the legacy campaigns. Do those to catch up with the story if you want to.

From there follow what I wrote. There are a few exotic quests you will have access to with the base content. You will have enough to work on to decide if you want to get in on the current content.

I would highly recommend sticking it out until you can raid. I think with the games you enjoy, a Destiny raid would be something you would like a lot.

If you need more help or group ups, jump on the discord too.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Any PC players enabling HDR? I can't get any of the brightness settings to look right. The game will either look washed out or will crush blacks.

I've had this exact issue on PS4 since it was introduced. Followed so many guides and settings and I just can never get it to look right on my OLED. I just have it disabled.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Even though I've been playing Destiny from the very beginning and really enjoy the game, half this thread is Greek to me. I wasn't able to play at all Tuesday because of work, but I got in a little play yesterday and a good amount today with my brother. I think I'm at like 838 and I'm feeling pretty good...

Y'all motherfuckers are crazy.
This is me in ITT also.

....also a day one D1 guy, never left apart from a handful of hiatus'.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
So hows the HC meta like on console now? Still Not Forgotten and Luna, then 180s or 140/150s really good now? I still need to finish up my Luna quest and don't really like HC too much, so every advantage I can get I'll take.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Outside of just being silly fun I've found finishers to be nice against yellow enemies. If I unload a clip into one and it pops up the yellow circle I'll usually just air-dash to them and use a finisher instead of reloading.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of just being silly fun I've found finishers to be nice against yellow enemies. If I unload a clip into one and it pops up the yellow circle I'll usually just air-dash to them and use a finisher instead of reloading.
Yep, it adds a bit of extra rhythm. They're not game changing, but they feel great.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I really wish hope add an option to have any of your unlocked finishers play at random instead of always having a fixed one. It's really the one nitpick I have about the system right now.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
There's armor mods for finishers that make them more interesting. I have one that drops 3 bricks of primary and reloads all weapons (costs 1/10th of your super bar). I have another as well, but can't remember what it does - buffs the party but costs 1/5th of your super bar.

Hunters also get a helmet that heals you and cloaks you on finisher use, which makes for fun shotty / finisher loops.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I am so glad I kept my sets of armour for my specific builds, especially pvp. I've yet to find things like sniper rifle scavenger, and I'd be super pissed if I'd deleted this stuff.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and has anyone else tried the Cerberus +1 catalyst yet?

THis is my favourite gun for general patrolling. The alt-fire mode the cat unlocks is like a mini auto-shotgun, it just feels grear to hip-fire this gun in general. Such a cool, punchy sound too.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Went to that npc and started warmind, is that OG D2? I want to start from 'scratch' - having a good time so far! Gunplay is terrific and the environments are gorgeous. Don't even know how the loot system works!

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I picked up the Warlock hat from Xur and it's been really fun for just rolling around the open world zones. I finally put away my Riskrunner for a bit and pulled back out the Graviton (those are basically my only exotics) and now I have my grenade and well up probably three times as often if there are packs of monsters. Kill a couple small ones then watch the bouncy void balls fly everywhere and kill other stuff, wind up with a constantly running ability recharge buff.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Are either of the hunter or warlock exotics from Xur essential? I'm thinking of finally choosing another class to invest in.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Went to that npc and started warmind, is that OG D2? I want to start from 'scratch' - having a good time so far! Gunplay is terrific and the environments are gorgeous. Don't even know how the loot system works!

Red War -> Osiris -> Warmind -> Forsaken (Season Pass: Forge -> Drifter -> Opulence) -> Shadowkeep (Season Pass: Undying -> ?)

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Are either of the hunter or warlock exotics from Xur essential? I'm thinking of finally choosing another class to invest in.
Nezarec's Sin is pretty good if you're running a void build.

Only time I've seen the Sixth Coyote be preferable over something else is to solo the first encounter of Spire of Stars lol. Still not a bad call to get them, just to have that item in your collection and make getting all the armor exotics a less painful process.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
What's the stance on finishing moves?

Should Bungie keep expanding on them or have y'all had your fill already
First I thought they should've been like Doom with instant transformation from gameplay to execution, but now I realize that would just limit the number of executions they could code in the game realistically. So I'll take the Deus Ex like transition as long as we get shitton of finishing moves in the future. I do wish they'd give you an option to tie them to melee/R3 for bumper jumper guys. L1+R1 is cumbersome and I end up throwing a grenade half the time.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I don't get it. This is supposed to be free to play but the only versions of this I find in the PS store are either 34,99€ or 59,99€.
Where can I find the F2P version?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for 2 people on PS4 to join a blind group for Garden of Salvation in 20 minutes. Any power level above 890 is fine, most likely not planning to go that far lol.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Nezarec's Sin is pretty good if you're running a void build.

Only time I've seen the Sixth Coyote be preferable over something else is to solo the first encounter of Spire of Stars lol. Still not a bad call to get them, just to have that item in your collection and make getting all the armor exotics a less painful process.
Yeh good point, I have enough shards. I'll pick up both. Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone on PC need to do:
Thorn Quest - Savathuns Song
The Corrupted - Exotic Quest Strong
The Pryamidion - Lock and Key Exotic Quest

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Oh, and has anyone else tried the Cerberus +1 catalyst yet?

THis is my favourite gun for general patrolling. The alt-fire mode the cat unlocks is like a mini auto-shotgun, it just feels grear to hip-fire this gun in general. Such a cool, punchy sound too.
I got the gun a long time ago and had banked it almost immediately. The 2nd enemy I killed on the moon dropped the catalyst, so I thought what the heck - I'll use it.

Had a blast with it. Great run n' gun weapon for lost sectors, and surprisingly good on yellows.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Xur was handy for me, grabbed that Hunter item while on my titan and it boosted that slot a long way and helped his climb.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I got the gun a long time ago and had banked it almost immediately. The 2nd enemy I killed on the moon dropped the catalyst, so I thought what the heck - I'll use it.

Had a blast with it. Great run n' gun weapon for lost sectors, and surprisingly good on yellows.
Yeh, almost my exact same epxerience. Banked it ages ago and thought "why not?" Glad I did.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Currently playing the free version on PC, never played this game before or Destiny 1, but this game is just confounding. How do I just play the story mode? Is there even one? Following the new light thing has just got me doing random busywork with little to no context to anything, and the first mission I did that said main story just put me in a fucking multiplayer match. This seems like a mess, it's the least immersed I've ever felt in a first person game. I don't who I am, who the people talking during missions are, who the enemy is, what the stakes are, or why I should give a shit about any of it and the game isn't even trying to explain those things.

Also, is there any reason to get excited about a new gun or piece of armor when it's just gonna get replaced in 20 minutes by something better?

Oct 25, 2017
Does Ikora still have a milestone for 20 bounties completed?
I've had a message pop up to visit the tower occasionally after completing a few but she doesnt seem to have anything now.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I use solar tree actually (top). And right now I'm not even using OEM.

It's pretty well balanced imo, especially now roaming supers can be taken down so easily. I see a lot of different weapons too. Feels good to me.

A little steep, especially if you're new to this kind of game.

My advice to new players:

Finish tutorial mission and end up in the tower.
Got to the hanger and visit Amanda Holiday.
Take the legacy quests and complete those first (base game and previous DLC campaigns).

From there it depends what content you own.

If you have Forsaken, do that campaign. Then do the Shadowkeep campaign.

From there you will be all caught up on the current stories. You will then need to choose your route toward end-game.

You will want to hit power level 900. Once you get there, challenges will appear (yellow orbs next to certain destinations) that award powerful gear that will take you beyond 900.

You will then level up to 920 and beyond. As you go you should pick and choose which quests and weapons and armour you want to work on, trying to overlap multiple to be more efficient.

Make sure you visit Spider on the Tabnled Shore to exchange materials that you need.

Make sure to visit Xur where he appears at random each week for a choice of exotic items for purchase.

And gear up for end game actitivites.
Cool, I appreciate the tips!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Currently playing the free version on PC, never played this game before or Destiny 1, but this game is just confounding. How do I just play the story mode? Is there even one? Following the new light thing has just got me doing random busywork with little to no context to anything, and the first mission I did that said main story just put me in a fucking multiplayer match. This seems like a mess, it's the least immersed I've ever felt in a first person game. I don't who I am, who the people talking during missions are. who the enemy is, what the stakes are, or why I should give a shit about any of it and the game isn't even trying to explain those things.

Also, is there any reason to get excited about a new gun or piece of armor when it's just gonna get replaced in 20 minutes by something better?
I would always recommend reading the OP and at least the last couple of pages first... I literally answer this at the top of the page. ;)

The point is to keep your best gear (so if you find a lower level Assault Rifle you like, don't trash it just because you find one higher) and, once you hit higher power, you will infuse the pieces you kept up to your current power level.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
So guys, have some extra time tonight and would like to do some levelling.

Am I better off just continuing Shadowkeep, or getting to 900 first and then continuing Shadowkeep? I am just at In the Deep.

Also, I'm lost on a lot of Year 2 stuff, and I want a Hammerhead. What's the best way to get one now?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So guys, have some extra time tonight and would like to do some levelling.

Am I better off just continuing Shadowkeep, or getting to 900 first and then continuing Shadowkeep? I am just at In the Deep.

Also, I'm lost on a lot of Year 2 stuff, and I want a Hammerhead. What's the best way to get one now?
The best way is the only way... pick the bounty that rewards it from Ada in the tower and complete it. :p

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
The best way is the only way... pick the bounty that rewards it from Ada in the tower and complete it. :p

LOL, thanks. I am a long-time player, I swear, but I messed up when I didn't get the Annual Pass with Forsaken last year, and by the time I got back to it I was way behind so I am lost on Black Armory stuff. I tried doing the Forges awhile ago and got very frustrated because I couldn't get the "heroic Cryo-Pod event in the Tangled Shore" step done on the second one.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Datto having Cyth again on his team? Cyth have proven time after time he is the detriment to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.